Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
Drifting quitters - Hardtuned.net

- - - - -

Drifting quitters 

92 replies to this topic

#1 Lucas.

• Car:Toyota 4 runner

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:54 AM

So last night I was in my shed tidying up and looking and my broken drift car.

The cost to get it back on track would cost just under 2k

But once on the track ill need to fork out trailer hire entry petrol etc etc, everyone knows the costs.

I'm saving for a house and building up my dream 4x4 so find little money or motivation to build it.

Has anyone else made the choice to give in drifting? I mean I wouldn't get f**k all for my car so it's not worth selling . I've done enough drift days to say I'm a confident driver and really just wanted to try enter one main event.

But after the weekend I went camping with some quads and motorbikes and if anyone has driven a 450 quad you'll know you can get the exact same expirebce of drifting at 1/5 the price.

Discuss

#2 pman

Pooh Bear; Wreckin' porcelain since the 90's.

• Silver Member
  • Classifieds Items
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts
  • Car:RayGay's mum

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:07 AM

Haven't even finished my car and I'm keener than ever to throw in the towel. Bigger and better things in life I guess...well a surgery bill for me anyways.

Wish I knew the expenses motorsports/automotives took as a kid. Such an unhealthy addiction to the pockets.

#3 Lucas.

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:15 AM

Yeah exactly that aswell. I think Motorsport offers so much disappointment and I got very lucky. Did over 11-12 events without a single misshapen.

Then it went down hill and I did 3 events. 3 radiators and a blown engine.

#4 blingcommander

• Car:Scooty-Puff Jr.

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:55 AM

you still have a better record/more days than me :/

i know 2 that have given up in australia, and only take trips to japan to drive. kinda makes sense in a way. considering once you have the car there, the amount you spend to do 3-4 drift days here would get you a week there with easily 3-4 times more track time.

#5 Bloke

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:37 AM

I gave it away back in '08, for the second time.

Do I miss it? Yes, but only the actual driving. I don't miss all the other bullshit that goes with it, such as clubs/promoters who lose your entry fees, egos from other drivers and teams, other drivers and teams helping themselves to my tyres tools and spares, pulling all-nighters to get the car ready, then having it f**k out on the day, constantly borrowing trailers and tow cars, mates getting way too involved (one mate was going around fishing for sponsorship, bad-mouthing other drivers, and telling everyone about how we'd set up a performance workshop, acting like he owned/part-owned the car, and just generally talking shit), and so on. I cracked the shits and sold the car. Luckily, I didn't lose too much money. Just happy to move on with life.

As for the Japan thing, if I had the money and the freedom, I'd do it in a hearbeat. Drifting in NSW at least, is so inaccessable. You either pay nearly $300 for a few hours every now and then, or wait 6 months and maybe get a full day at Wakefield park. It's easy to see how people can go to Japan and do a year's worth of drifting in two weeks for similar money.

So yeah, don't feel obliged to keep doing it if your heart's not in it.

#6 Lucas.

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:59 AM

I never really had the whole ego and wanker challenge at any track say. I made shit loads if good mates and had a fkn blast

But I've been lucky with my car it couldn't have cost me anymore then 6-7k. And that's real figera including buying the car. I've spent easily more in track days
Easily done 20 track days I recon including 2 Winton double days.

Now it's getting tired and lots needs to be replaced.

But the annoy part is I could never part with it. So it's gonna sit in my shed forever . Fml

Just wondered how others have delt with it. Just man up and sell it all ?

#7 Lucas.

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:00 AM

And f**k the all nighters. Will never miss then

#8 WPN-X7

• Car:LS1 FC vert

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:17 AM

I sold up a while back (as you know)

Stupid idea. Once the bugs there it there. Maybe stash it In the shed and buy a quad and smash around on that for a while. You'll never make coin back on the car.

I have my dirt bike for when the cars In bits. Best idea ever haha

#9 nisskid

• Car:R32 4dr, C33 & A31

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:22 AM

i have a 350 2-stroke banshee quad, not even close to the same as drifting. both good, but different.

#10 Lucas.

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:44 AM

View Postnisskid, on 25 June 2013 - 11:22 AM, said:

i have a 350 2-stroke banshee quad, not even close to the same as drifting. both good, but different.
Guess it depends. This was a 4 stroke 450 Polaris. The track we have is tight bush land full of s's
It's the same concept. Keeping the back loose and controlling the front to throw the rear in hard whole leaning. I found the concept quite the same

View PostWPN-X7, on 25 June 2013 - 11:17 AM, said:

I sold up a while back (as you know)

Stupid idea. Once the bugs there it there. Maybe stash it In the shed and buy a quad and smash around on that for a while. You'll never make coin back on the car.

I have my dirt bike for when the cars In bits. Best idea ever haha
Ill never sell. To much love for the I could never part. Just wondered how people handle it.

Sucks. Motivation is long gone

#11 WPN-X7

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:46 AM

Jump in a mates car for a couple laps. That always gets me keen haha

I can't wait for the FC to be done. So many event to do late this year

#12 Biggie

• Car:96' Type X

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:48 AM

is a normal cycle when the car is broken you crack the sh*ts when the car works its all go go go

#13 WPN-X7

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:03 PM

View PostBiggie, on 25 June 2013 - 11:48 AM, said:

is a normal cycle when the car is broken you crack the sh*ts when the car works its all go go go

pretty much ^^^ that

just get another stocko 25 slap it in, pull the front straight and go do some events.

#14 Lucas.

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:26 PM

Coils are f**ked

An I have 0$ for an event

#15 pmod

• Car:Fruity 180sx

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:30 PM

Sooo this. Even worse when it's your daily street car and you buy a temporary replacement. All motivation goes out the window and you start modding the daily.

View PostLucas., on 25 June 2013 - 01:26 PM, said:

Coils are f**ked

An I have 0$ for an event

Carparks are free :ph34r:

Edited by pmod, 25 June 2013 - 01:31 PM.

#16 keyhole150

• Car:Type X

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:38 PM

View Postpmod, on 25 June 2013 - 01:30 PM, said:

Sooo this. Even worse when it's your daily street car and you buy a temporary replacement. All motivation goes out the window and you start modding the daily.

Well there goes my idea of doing that, I just want some time to fix all the small things with it =[

#17 pmod

• Car:Fruity 180sx

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:14 PM

Haha, it's all good. I find motivation returns when reregistration comes up, or in my case, deregistration is impending :(

#18 .RONE

• Car:Shinigami S13

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:15 PM

View Postpmod, on 25 June 2013 - 01:30 PM, said:

HAHAHAHAHA.
Yep, my s13 has been neglected and my corolla now gets the love.

#19 Import S13

• Car:MY11 WRX & R32 Sedan

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:39 PM

I'm giving it up for the third time. Doesn't mean forever but I've got other things to worry about at the moment and if I can sell it, the extra money isn't needed but would help.

#20 R32GTRS

• Car:RB25 R32gtst

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:12 PM

I have a streeter never drifted on a track and dont plan on it, i guess it all depends on priorities in life, seems to me just going on NS alone that it sends you poor and keeps you that way. maybe thats just cars in general, but drifting probably helps destroy more parts.

#21 Simon-S14

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:28 PM

just have a break for a while. no harm in that, keep the car and all its parts. the motivation may return or it might not.

at the end of the day we do something because we're passionate about it. if the passion isnt there then no point in flogging a dead horse

btw drifting a quad on mud is in no way comparable to drifting a car on tarmac at much higher speeds lol

#22 jayj

• Car:S14

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:21 PM

Seemed pretty keen to get back out there at Spence's track day dude.
A house is probably a slightly more sensible option though.

#23 Lucas.

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:36 PM

View PostSimon-S14, on 25 June 2013 - 04:28 PM, said:

just have a break for a while. no harm in that, keep the car and all its parts. the motivation may return or it might not.

at the end of the day we do something because we're passionate about it. if the passion isnt there then no point in flogging a dead horse

btw drifting a quad on mud is in no way comparable to drifting a car on tarmac at much higher speeds lol
How is it not comparable ? Because speed defines drifting and not drifting. I'm
Not saying its "exactly" the same. I'm saying it have me the same drift rush. In a different way

View Postjayj, on 25 June 2013 - 07:21 PM, said:

I was keen. But I can sell any of my car parts and have no extra money to just buy an rb

Gonna take a break and see what happens.

#24 works 510

• Car:assorted

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:45 PM

This.

I never did a track day, wasnt really interested.
Liked the street, no pressure fun.
Too much to lose now, and the fun isnt there anymore.
Cars parked away, dont need the cash, plus its probably worth nothing now anyway haha.

Have dirtbikes and a 4x4, offroad is fun, can hoon more!

#25 Mxrulez731

• Car:180sx track car

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:55 PM

I sold my MX race bike when i hurt myself and started building my drift car, now i am healthy but have managed to spend all my money this year on cars yet i've only done two track days in it. I still love drifting and I am just as happy working on the car so I think i am going to get a cheap yz125 mx bike again to entertain me while in between driving the car. I have property to ride in my backyard to ride so its super cheap, however take is only like 40 bucks anyway and maintenance is cheap on a 2 stroke.

#26 nisskid

• Car:R32 4dr, C33 & A31

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:58 PM

View PostLucas., on 25 June 2013 - 07:36 PM, said:

How is it not comparable ? Because speed defines drifting and not drifting. I'm
Not saying its "exactly" the same. I'm saying it have me the same drift rush. In a different way

View Postjayj, on 25 June 2013 - 07:21 PM, said:

I was keen. But I can sell any of my car parts and have no extra money to just buy an rb

Gonna take a break and see what happens.
there are a lot of ways you can get a rush, very few you can get such a level of rush with relatively little actual risk to your body. I've done most action sports before hand, and whilst some give you fear and thrills which you can't get close to within drift, along with that comes a real f**king level of risk.

#27 frenchie1001

• Car:laurel

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:54 PM

my dad used to have a 450 quad. fun but not drifting fun.

when i crashed my car i came so close to part out or give up or whatever, but it was totally worth sticking it out. i wouldnt want to do anything else with my money.! its only grim when your broken and broke.

f**king working on cars though.

#28 driftnick13

• Car:180sx

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:18 PM

If you are really passionate about drifting then you'll find a way to get back out there even if it does take you awhile, sucks when you break something major like a engine, lucky for me the only time I've done any decent damage I got another engine (ca18) for free to replace it.

I haven't been to the track since March last year due to my car getting defected, saved up and bought a cheap R32 that isn't a defect magnet, can't wait to get even if it does take me another year, till then I'll just play some live for speed :D

#29 TheApothecary

• Car:Forever A Charade

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:29 PM

Take up Heroin.

#30 SpotMan

• Car:rb20 S13 & Maverick

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:15 PM

Doesnt cost anything to store a car. im pissed off with mine having no motor. but at the end of the day i enjoy everything about drifting, the family its created and the general loose times that happen at the track.

Both 4x4 and drifting are expensive hobbies tho. im in the process of not spending any serious money till after japan. but thats not stoping me from spending a little each pay towards fixing my engine. So in your terms. buy a engine stand and sit down and slowly rebuild your motor.

Tbh once you've rebuilt your motor, gotten new coils theres not much else that needs to be done to the car. then you could sell it for a decent amount if needed or do a few track days.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!