Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
My car got reversed into - I don't have insurance - Hardtuned.net

- - - - -

My car got reversed into - I don't have insurance 

20 replies to this topic

#1 AC-S13

• Car:1989 CA18 Sil

Posted 30 September 2014 - 09:17 AM

I just need some advice. Yes i dont have insurance.
Yes it's bad.
I'll sort it out eventually.
This is not the point.

My car was parked at a service station and this guy reverses into the front, damaging the already damaged front bar. He didn't notice that the front bar was already damaged (needed a new front bar anyway).

I got his details, and his insurer. The damage is now worse (it was not that bad previously).

Do i wait for him to make a claim or can i make a claim through his insurance agency? What can i do to make sure that he makes a claim?

Thanks

#2 pmod

• Car:Fruity 180sx

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:01 AM

By all means contact his insurer, however you won't actually be able to make a claim.

What you DO need to do is:

- Go to the local Police station absolutely asap and lodge a P5 accident report with them, so there's an official report of the event. You can fill the report in yourself at the station, and P5 is the class of this type of accident; no injuries, no major property damge (property meaning non-car stuff), no points lost on one's license. This is an important step that you should do right now. Record the time and location as required, and get a copy of the report for yourself.

- Contact the petrol station operator and make enquiries towards acquiring the cctv footage of the accident, as they will definitely have cameras setup there, however you may require something more official like a freedom-of-information request to actually get it. No harm in trying though. It is worth your time pursuing this, as money turns so many assholes into sociopathic c**ts, so it's reasonable to expect him to pretend it wasn't him.

- Go and get three repair quotes, then send the guy a letter of demand (stated in a matter-of-fact way, not a hardcore tryhard 'pay me now biatch' manner) explaining your information, repair quotes, and offering him the chance to get his own independant damage assessment.

- Contact his insurer and discuss the event, the information in your possession, and ask them about their processes. You won't be able to make a claim, but they will now have a record of your conversation. At the start of the conversation, explicitly ask that they DO record your conversation for their records. Then phone another insurer that you're legitimately considering getting TPP insurance with and discuss your options in the context of this situation. Insurers that won't have to pay up are usually quite happy to tell you the reality of what you can actually do; I've done this before and it has been most helpful.

#3 pmod

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:15 AM

I will also point out that the advantage of having any form of insurance, such as TPP, is that for minor damage like this your insurer will often help out with the pursuit of money. Some policies will even allow you to have your not-at-fault damage repaired at your insurer's expense, and the insurer will chase the other guy for you.

Having a business that professionally hunts people's money is a big boon when compared to being on your own, not to mention the advantages of not having to pay full price for that AMG Merc that decides to brake-check you on an open road because he needs an insurance payout due to losing cash courtesy of the Global Financial Crisis. That actually happened to an ex-housemate's brother; his brand new Commodore he'd had for only two weeks managed to stop in time to avoid the Merc (which sped off after the event of course), but the guy in the old Camry behind the Commy had no chance of matching the 100-to-0 braking of the two cars in front with half the notice, so he went straight into the back of their car, wearing the cost of a brand new Commodore.

#4 AC-S13

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:36 AM

Ok that's Great Pmod!

I can get to the police station after work. I will lodge a P5.

I have purchased TPP insurance today. I will call them and talk to them about the incident.

#5 antonio

• Car:S14

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:58 AM

Since you do not have insurance you would call his insurance company within 12hours naturally and log a claim against him, so now the system has it all logged and ready and the ball begins to get rolling.
Defs speak to the Police station aswell incase he decides to do a backflip and say nah i wasnt there i was flying a Magicarp.

I had 2 people reverse into me within 2weeks which was funny, cause i called my insurance company (Shannons) and logged a claim against the guy, and then when the next person hit me i logged another claim against the new person, in the end the 1st persons Hit fixed my damage, but the other insurance company for the 2nd hit payed Shannons for the repairs aswell, So i ended up getting 2k for doing nothing..

#6 AC-S13

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:00 AM

I signed up with Just car today haha (long overdue) I will call them first and see what the deal is.

If that doesn't work i will call NRMA (his insurer) and make a claim against him.

I think ill just take the cash anyway and source a 2nd hand front bar... Ill see how much its going to cost.

Thanks guys

#7 AC-S13

Posted 30 September 2014 - 01:28 PM

So i called the Police assistance line and they advised me that you don't have to legally log a P5 anymore as this is done through the insurance agency.
What i will do is get some quotes and give the guy a letter in his mailbox stating that i have quotes, blah blah.

Should i contact his insurance? Just to report that something has happened?

#8 pmod

Posted 30 September 2014 - 02:29 PM

If they're saying that you don't have to log the P5, meaning that you have the option to do it if you want to, then I'd still take the time to log the P5.
If you want to do something right, do it yourself. Police and Insurance screw up far too often to be relied upon where not exlusively necessary, so I'd still think it worth your time, but that's just me.

#9 AC-S13

Posted 30 September 2014 - 02:54 PM

pmod, on 30 September 2014 - 02:29 PM, said:

If they're saying that you don't have to log the P5, meaning that you have the option to do it if you want to, then I'd still take the time to log the P5.
If you want to do something right, do it yourself. Police and Insurance screw up far too often to be relied upon where not exlusively necessary, so I'd still think it worth your time, but that's just me.

The woman on the phone said specifically said that it is taken care by the insurance agencys.

What i'm going to do is call the insurance company (his insurance company) and state details about the accident. Or if anything i will get some quotes and get a letter prepared with the quotes and drop it in his mail box.

Should i do this asap?

#10 pmod

Posted 30 September 2014 - 04:02 PM

Fair enough, although I'm not totally convinced that the lady you were talking to was telling the whole truth; if two uninsured people have a car accident, I'm sure both would be able to raise a P5 with the cop shop as they have no insurance to raise it for them.

What you do with that is entirely up to you, as I'm the type that would rock up to a Police Station to raise a P5 anyway, if for no reason other than being a d*ck. The rest I'd suggest getting sorted asap, as the more time you give people the more time they have to do something dodgy, not to mention your damage assessment will look more legit.

For instance, the one car accident I had the guy took 5 months to put an insurance claim in, and he lodged a claim for over $4000. Now the guy was an off duty cop and was dodgy as f**k, stopped in front of me for absolutely no reason on an empty road and I nose-dived into him at him at 5kmph or so. The main damage done was from a plastic driving light on my front bar, and it it was a shallow dent in his tailgate below the glass. His claim included 'reconstruction of tyre well', 'new gas struts' and a whole bunch of other crap that wasn't even touched in the accident.

#11 AC-S13

Posted 30 September 2014 - 04:10 PM

Thanks for the advice Pmod.

I work next to these 2 smash repairers so ill pop in and get some quotes prepared.

I have his phone number and all that stuff, so i can send him a text and advise him that i have gotten some quotes.

#12 Junny

• Car:180sx type-x

Posted 30 September 2014 - 04:10 PM

My car was repaired under similar circumstances last month.

Ill try help although in my case it was very amicable and this is just how I went about it.

My car was reversed into by a government pool car while it was parked in secure parking. I happened to be nearby and saw it.
I got the drivers licence details and contact info and gave him mine and then let him go on with his day without injury :) (I was actually pleased because my front bar was a wreck to begin with, his car's town ball had struck the parker light and cracked the plastic.)
Gave him several days to contact his insurance/workplace while I got qoutes.
Followed him up to get his insurance reference number and then contacted them to pass on my qoutes.
They then sent me to their repairer to confirm the price but their repairer refused to qoute it.
Took the car finally to my guy who sorted out the lot.

From start to finish took one month and alot of patience for what was only a $1000 job.
Everthing got done even the existing damage because the bumper needed paint and repair anyway.
I never contacted police or my insurer or had issue a letter of demand... individual results may vary ;)

#13 AC-S13

Posted 30 September 2014 - 04:31 PM

That's great advice! I will be getting quotes over the next few days. This gives him some time to contact his insurance agency.

Ill give him a call after i get some quotes and ask him for insurance claim references, then i can contact his insurer and get the quotes to them.

Thanks, made things clearer.

#14 antonio

• Car:S14

Posted 01 October 2014 - 11:11 AM

I would get onto the insurance company before he does.. Dont let him slide! People just cant be trusted make sure its in the system so then if he decides to pull a flip on you he now has to deal with getting it closed at his insurance company aswell and that wont be as easy as a 'oh you can just close this now' lol

#15 Junny

Posted 01 October 2014 - 02:13 PM

I definitely agree with Antonio, get right up in his grill and don't take no for an answer. Even if they cant help you right away at least making your presence known to his insurance or the cops is better than trusting him to be honest. Even then if he refuses to acknowledge the fact things could get fairly messy.

I was only able to be so relaxed about mine because I run the place and work with the government organisation who owns the car that hit me.

Edited by Junny, 01 October 2014 - 02:16 PM.

#16 X-ISLED

Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:52 AM

No point contacting his insurance company until he lodges a claim. They will not even take down your details.

Remember insurance is optional and he does not even have to make a claim if he does not want to,

I would get a quote, find a letter of demand online and send it to him. That is basically all you can do.

#17 AC-S13

Posted 03 October 2014 - 01:04 PM

Yep i have to get a quote. I just haven't had any time this week.

As soon as i get a quote, ill get a letter and send it to him.

#18 AC-S13

Posted 03 October 2014 - 02:10 PM

Got a claim number from the guy.

I am yet to get quotes. I suspect i get 1 or 2 quotes and then contact NRMA and talk to them about getting the car checked at a NRMA center vs my quote/s?

#19 Junny

Posted 03 October 2014 - 02:59 PM

Pretty much yes. Being your car you get to say who fixes it but they will probably encourage you to go to their person so they can pay it straight away... if you choose your person and they are not on the books you will be looking at a fair wait for them to sort it out..

Depending on how bad it is it might be under the guys excess and then you would have to deal with that mess.... and maybe like my case their repairer might decline the job which would make it a little weird.

#20 X-ISLED

Posted 06 October 2014 - 09:00 AM

Being a third party you only have to legally get 1 quote. Do not let them bully you into getting a second quote as they have no say in who repairs the car, They just have the say in the cost. if the repair cost is fair and reasonable market cost, then you will not have an issue.

Edited by X-ISLED, 06 October 2014 - 09:00 AM.

#21 AC-S13

Posted 16 October 2014 - 01:46 PM

I got a quote from a recommended repairer as advised by NRMA. It is $2770.

An assesor is coming to my work to check the car next friday. The headlight alone is $1000.

I am wanting a cash settlement as a mate has a primo front bar waiting for me for $100. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!