Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
Anyone into First Person View flying? - Hardtuned.net

- - - - -

Anyone into First Person View flying? 

Just getting started
124 replies to this topic

#1 pjman

• Car:1990 20B Eunos Cosmo

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:02 PM

A mate and I have just started getting into FPV. We made our Tricopters and flew together on the weekend for the first time. He has the GoPro so all the footage is from his Tri. Anyone else in Brisbane doing this stuff?

Edited by pjman, 02 January 2014 - 02:23 PM.

#2 Bludbud

Bad command or file name. Bad, bad command! Sit! Stay.

• Silver Member
  • Classifieds Items
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • Car:180sx

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:23 PM

that's cool man. i've seen videos of these around the net and am quite impressed. where can i get one and how much would it be to have that kind of setup?

#3 pjman

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:41 PM

Its not tooooo expensive.

On mine I have a Turnigy remote - $70 or so. The Video transmitter and receiver was $85 and the camera was $70. The goggles were $300. The frame was home made - I estimate about $50 all up. Motors and ESC's would be $60 and the KK board was $20. Batteries are about$15-$20 depending on what you want. Add another say $100 for various connectors and some spares and about the same for a charger and I reckon you would be in the air. Not really cheap all up with the goggles in there but the individual stuff is - so its cheap to fix. We are using wooden arms - costs $4 for a length to replace all the arms. Not bad really.

#4 Rolled Cambers

• Car:Nissan Silvia s13.

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:31 PM

Only $700 lol
Looks pretty cool.

So you can basically see the view from the goggles?

How long does the battery last?

#5 pjman

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:03 PM

We have a few different batteries but keep forgetting to time how long they last. The 5000mah battery gets about 12 minutes at a guess. I think the 2200 is getting about 7 minutes. the extra weight of the 5000 makes it inefficient. So far we have gone to about half a kilometer with no real problems. This is plenty for mucking around in a park or something like that. I want to do at least 1 kilometer. I reckon I will need to swap out the radio (I have another more powerful one here) and see how it goes.

The camera is mounted on the front of the tri and transmits the feed live to the goggles - takes a little bit to get used to.

I'd say closer to $900 or so.

#6 Chappy

• Car:2009 V36 370GT Sedan

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:44 AM

I have been checking this stuff out on www.hobbyking.com

I bought an RC car from there that i am tempted to put an FPV setup on.

After that i want to try it out on an RC plane with EDF. The view you get is awesome.

#7 greens14

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:09 AM

Change ya batteries to a lipo setup. Heaps more power and less weight.

#8 Cooper

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:26 PM

What does FPV stand for?

This looks fun. I can see a use for this as filming rally bashing :)

#9 Rolled Cambers

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:30 PM

First Person View.

Edited by Rolled Cambers, 21 June 2012 - 03:30 PM.

#10 pjman

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:59 PM

We are using lipo's. Still trying to fine tune it all - currently takes about 20 amps or so to hover from memory.

#11 TougeR34

• Car:R34 GTT

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:28 PM

would make some epic drift movies thats for sure.

#12 pjman

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:58 PM

Managed a 1km flight today - pretty happy with that. Also nearly got into the clouds - if I realised I was that high I would have gone the extra distance to hit them - have to leave that till next weekend. Hate saying it but I hope its overcast next weekend. I'll get the video up asap.

#13 pjman

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:40 AM

1km video - boring to watch but fun to do.

General flying from my Tri - lots of fun stuff.

#14 Rolled Cambers

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:01 PM

That's pretty cool man, well done. 1k!

How is the remote set up?
I've built a helicopter using 3 props and the basic controls, collective up/down, cyclic and tail rotor control. (Yaw??)
Is there anything else you use?

Or it's that layout wired pretty much the same?

Is there a way to transmit video from any camera, say from a live stream or something similar? Instead of buying a transmitter and receiver.

Edited by Rolled Cambers, 25 June 2012 - 01:33 PM.

#15 pjman

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:30 PM

Yeah - the tricopter is also called a Y copter due to the layout. The front motors and props are fixed and the rear one pivots using a servo to allow for yaw (turning on the spot). Its just a 4 channel transmitter required - pitch, roll and yaw. There is a controller board we use called a KK board which has servos to help control it.

I have a security type camera which plugs into a transmitter (vtx) on the Tri. There is then a receiver (vrx) on the ground connected to the video goggles. Of course there is the radio controller on the ground and a receiver on the Tri for control. For those past couple of flights I had a GoPro on the Tri recording the flight in HD. Technically I can remove the security camera and use the GoPro for a live output but its easier just to run the two.

The Radio Controller is a Hitec Aurora 9 2.4ghz unit. Now that I am out to 1km I really need to upgrade the controller to a longer range unit. Before I do that I will get better quality video antennas to increase the video range and also the video quality. Currently the video in the goggles is pretty average at times so I am sometimes flying close to blind for a second - and its a long second when that happens. Better antennas will help to eliminate multipathing which is the most common cause for close range video problems - at least thats what the internet says which we all know is always accurate.

#16 pjman

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:47 AM

This was a bit scary
http://youtu.be/2TzIKzWvLeE

#17 pjman

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:34 AM

#18 Chappy

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:20 PM

You should fly out to a park somewhere and chase some random people for a laugh.

#19 bloodzkull

• Car:92 r32 gtr skyline. 85 single cab 4wd hulix (vn v6) and a 71 datsun 1600

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:31 PM

alright i'm looking at stuff online. pretty full on to start with. any suggestions for 1km plus range and the longest flight time?

#20 aeropix

• Car:S15 Silvia

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:37 PM

Been flying rc and FPV for quite a while now. Did a private practice day at Tailem Bend but no cars there...bummer. be nice to get some crazy antics from 2 metres above the drift...hey

Have a squiz at flying the drift pad....regards Ian...

http://api.viglink.c..._13427645108661

Just be carefull what FPV you post. CASA have court cases going where rc is being flown illegally

Edited by aeropix, 20 July 2012 - 03:42 PM.

#21 pjman

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:28 PM

I'm still struggling to work out whats illegal. As I understand if it is a hobby and I'm under 400ft I'm OK - except for airports etc. Is that right?

I've watched your video before - I would love to do some racing or drifting one day.

Edited by pjman, 20 July 2012 - 05:31 PM.

#22 aeropix

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:00 PM

Just follow rc rules. If you make money from the image captured from your heli you are suppose to have a casa licence. But hell do what I do and give the image away. I fly parks, public access, private property. Dont fly over road or private property without permission. I have just came home from videoing a multi billion dollar overhead freeway extention all flown legally. I will give the vid to newspapers and tv stations. Regards ian.
Ps google Cancun fpv or The Warehouse fpv.......let me know what you think, I love winderstal fpv allways interesting.

#23 Chappy

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:46 AM

Hey Pjman,

I am looking at building a heavy lifting hexcopter using one of these frames from hobbyking
Posted Image

http://www.hobbyking...rame_625mm.html

Could you recommend any articles that explain the basics of building multirotors?

I take it you control the attitude of the vehicle with varying throttle on the motors, but how do you control the twist?
Do you just make a couple of motors twist back and forth for that?

:edit:
I see, opposing rotation and CPU control, interesting....

Edited by Chappy, 23 July 2012 - 02:03 PM.

#24 aeropix

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:33 PM

View PostChappy, on 23 July 2012 - 11:46 AM, said:

Hey Pjman, I am looking at building a heavy lifting hexcopter using one of these frames from hobbyking Posted Image http://www.hobbyking...rame_625mm.html Could you recommend any articles that explain the basics of building multirotors? I take it you control the attitude of the vehicle with varying throttle on the motors, but how do you control the twist? Do you just make a couple of motors twist back and forth for that? :edit: I see, opposing rotation and CPU control, interesting....

Hobby King sell multi rotor control boards, they sell everything you will need.

#25 Chappy

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:29 PM

Yeah i was just trying to get my head around the concept before i go putting a kit together myself.

Is there any easy way to calculate lifting capacity of a certain combination of motors/props?

#26 pjman

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:17 PM

Its hard to calculate it. Some people have tested motors with different props etc and posted on hobbyking which can be handy. I'd recommend jumping on rcgroups and have a look there - probably too much info really. Happy to answer any questions though.

#27 Veafo

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:42 PM

This stuff is kinda cool.

Where do you guys go to buy your parts/gear? Any starter kits, or do you need to buy all the parts separate?

#28 pjman

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:03 PM

Typically its bought separately but kits are on the market as well - they just cost a fair bit. I have got everything from Hobbyking.com pretty much.

#29 Chappy

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:08 AM

If it's not too much trouble could you please list each component that makes up your tricopter, what it does and link to it on hobbyking?

What do you have to do with it once assembled? Do you need to plug it into a PC to program it or are all the adjustments made on the control board?

#30 pjman

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:25 AM

I'm building a new one based on the new KK2 flight controller at the moment. The build will be complete and tested today. If it works ok I'll take a pic and list everything for you tonight.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!