Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
how to fit a front lip(dc2r)? tonnes of tape? - Hardtuned.net

how to fit a front lip(dc2r)? tonnes of tape? 

dc2r front lip install double sided tape how to integra honda type r
24 replies to this topic

#1 revhead90

• Car:2002 s15 Spec R GT

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:46 PM

Keen on a DC2R Interga front lip to take some of the scrap-age blows instead of my front bumper, done some research and I have confirmed that I need a ADM/JDM oem dc2r front lip off a 94-97 Honda Interga (looks like this: http://www.ebay.com....=item45fb2d46b2 )

What I can’t find is how people are fitting these to their s15's? From the pics in the link and looking at the mounting surface of the lip I can’t see how I would attach it to the s15 front lip? Anyone done this before that can help me out? Thanks

#2 revhead90

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:49 PM

As you can see from my display pic, my driveway is steep and kills my front bar most times, already have a bunch of scrapes under it and I plan on going lower! (want the front lip for some protection and I'l need a heaps of wooden boards to aid in climbing the driveway)

Also looked at some of the DIY jobies where guys and gals have used things like weather stripping/corner protector/garage door weather strips with double sided tape to attach these little yet subtle diy lips. Any thought on this?

#3 Datsun240z

• Car:240z

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:55 PM

I wouldn't bother if I were you, adding a lip will not work as "protection" in fact it will do quite the opposite. If you really feel the need you can attach it with rivets or small bolts/nuts and washers.

#4 fiend.

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:10 PM

I agree with Datsun240z above, sounds like a waste of time. It'll just end up getting caught on something and bending your front guards.

You could always drill it and cable tie it, otherwise bolts/nuts/washers.

#5 revhead90

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:40 PM

i figured it would act as a bit of a buffer as it only gets lightly grazed (lots of small grazes have added up to deep scratches)

from the pics it doesn't seem like there is enough plastic on there to rivet/screw it, let alone use some wide double sided tape?

#6 fiend.

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:48 PM

Forget the tape idea, you'll hit a high enough speed and the whole thing will fly off. Even sikaflex wouldn't be up to the task. Bolts/nuts/washers i'd say. If there's not enough to bolt up to, make an adaptor plate that goes between.

#7 revhead90

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:53 PM

Yeah true, don't want it flying off and slapping the side of my car ruining even more body work. I know there are a few s15's around with the dc2r lip so I'm hoping one of them will be able to inform me of how they went about securing the lip to their car.

#8 (Locky)

• Car:kouki s14

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:46 AM

drill and bolts to the underside of the bar... not rocket science

#9 Stuss15

• Car:2000

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:48 AM

Lol, the above comments don't seem like ther be fitted a dc2r lip to there s15. With this lip if you get an Australia spec lip it won't fit, I'm sure you've seen s15s with lips cut either end. You need to get a jdm as its slightly longer than the aus spec. You also need to get a poly lip bot carbon as you manipulate and stretch the lip on with a little heat. Fitting the lip. Forget tape it won't last, forget boltting it underneath as it hangs down 50mm. You have to fix one end and lift it over the s15 bottom nose and the lip actually sits on there with no tape or glue. Once you lift it up rap it around super tight as you will struggle to fit it and bolt it on the inside of your bar where the wheel is. I just used self drilliers

#10 Dose Pipe Sutututu

• Car:Boat Sutututuutu

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:02 AM

Tape? come on bro

Options:
  • Uses screws OR nuts & bolts
  • Sikaflex

#11 Stuss15

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:30 PM

sorry earlier I was typing on my ph, you use the heat after you bend the bar around the corners as it flexes and bents the underside of the lip down. the heat helps it restore its shape with a little push with some pliers. if your in brissi ill just do it for you.

#12 j-sx

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:21 PM

raise car = no more scrape/damage.

your buying something that will eventually suffer the same fate as your front bar.. no brainer for me man.

#13 revhead90

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:51 PM

It’s already stock height so I’m not going to raise it haha, it will definitely be getting lower :)

View PostStuss15, on 07 May 2013 - 10:48 AM, said:

Lol, the above comments don't seem like ther be fitted a dc2r lip to there s15. With this lip if you get an Australia spec lip it won't fit, I'm sure you've seen s15s with lips cut either end. You need to get a jdm as its slightly longer than the aus spec. You also need to get a poly lip bot carbon as you manipulate and stretch the lip on with a little heat. Fitting the lip. Forget tape it won't last, forget boltting it underneath as it hangs down 50mm. You have to fix one end and lift it over the s15 bottom nose and the lip actually sits on there with no tape or glue. Once you lift it up rap it around super tight as you will struggle to fit it and bolt it on the inside of your bar where the wheel is. I just used self drilliers

Thanks for that, good info there but I still can’t picture how it is going to fit. Maybe I’ll just order a JDM lip and test fit it so I can get a visual reference and idea as to how to fit it. Unfortunately I’m in Melbourne :( would have been great to have someone that knows what they are doing to help me, appreciate the offer though, cheers mate :)

Anyone else want to share how they managed to do this?

#14 Stuss15

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:01 PM

its hard to type mate but could explain it on the phone. if you want to give me a call pm me. its a really nice lip and suits the s15 like it should be factory type lip.

#15 revhead90

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:43 PM

View PostStuss15, on 07 May 2013 - 07:01 PM, said:

its hard to type mate but could explain it on the phone. if you want to give me a call pm me. its a really nice lip and suits the s15 like it should be factory type lip.

Might take you up on that, cheers. I’ll give you a pm/call when I get over this flu :)

Mind me asking where you/your mate got his/hers from? there is a lot of stuff out there all at different prices (mostly items in America, want to avoid postage costs from there) and all claiming to be oem or abs plastic, poly plastic, JDM and USDM (don’t know how they can be both?)

#16 Kyle Williams

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:07 PM

my brother has an s15 here with the proper japanese integra type R front lip.. there is about 2cm at either end where it doesnt completely stretch over bit im pretty sure its fitted with just a heap of silicone or something. i cant see any bolts holding it on.. but its definately not going to come off.

you need the lip to match THIS style front end http://fastestlaps.c...-R_DB8_(98_spec)_492dac3954f26.jpg

the australian integras (with the twin headlights) have a shorter front end.

#17 Stuss15

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:06 PM

View PostKyle Williams, on 08 May 2013 - 01:07 PM, said:

my brother has an s15 here with the proper japanese integra type R front lip.. there is about 2cm at either end where it doesnt completely stretch over bit im pretty sure its fitted with just a heap of silicone or something. i cant see any bolts holding it on.. but its definately not going to come off.

you need the lip to match THIS style front end http://fastestlaps.c...-R_DB8_(98_spec)_492dac3954f26.jpg

the australian integras (with the twin headlights) have a shorter front end.
correct, I got mine to fit like factory. I got mine from America and it was under 200 shipped. I looked last night but couldn't find who I bought it off. Mine is a poly urethane and the finish was that flat I didn't paint it or any thing.

#18 DOP315

• Car:s15 JDM

Posted 27 March 2015 - 09:39 AM

need abit of advice on this subject to!!!, when i was test fitting it all up the gap on each end was quite large.
how did you secure it onto your front bar with this gap?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#19 Dose Pipe Sutututu

Posted 27 March 2015 - 10:09 AM

Sikaflex

#20 DOP315

Posted 27 March 2015 - 10:17 AM

View PostJohnnilicte, on 27 March 2015 - 10:09 AM, said:

Sikaflex

surely there is a better way. to sikaflex that gap would be ugly az fook.

#21 Dose Pipe Sutututu

Posted 27 March 2015 - 11:58 AM

sikaflex, then apply fibreglass over on top and sand it back :)

#22 DOP315

Posted 27 March 2015 - 12:17 PM

View PostJohnnilicte, on 27 March 2015 - 11:58 AM, said:

sikaflex, then apply fibreglass over on top and sand it back Posted Image

hmmm na, will crack n break if ever i nudge something plus if i ever took it off there would be this chunk of fiberglass just chillin on my front bar.
might just play around with some spacer tube and nut and bolts…..
best i can come up with. bit more forgiving too and easy to remove if ever wanted.

#23 Stuss15

Posted 31 March 2015 - 09:19 PM

Mine fired perfectly and put a screw on each end. Full factory fit lol

#24 DOP315

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:32 AM

View PostStuss15, on 31 March 2015 - 09:19 PM, said:

Mine fired perfectly and put a screw on each end. Full factory fit lol
wish mine did :o , I'm determined to make it fit!
got a few ideas. gonna have to get some rubber/plastic packers or something and screw threw them.

#25 pmod

• Car:Fruity 180sx

Posted 01 April 2015 - 11:56 AM

If your main goal is to get the flat rear section to mate up against the flat rear section of the S15 bumper, then grind back a small recess, then heat with it a heatgun and bend it around using gloves and wood. Once in place, cool it with water to lock the shape in place.

If you're looking to screw it in at the sides, then you might find benefit in drilling some holes in tile/floor alignment wedges from Bunnings. They're pretty thick plastic, shaped as a wedge which would be perfect for that tapered gap, and can easily be cut to to shape using an angle grinder with a 1mm disc, a Dremel or even a razor knife.

If you need to get a stiffer and mount than the end of the bumper section can offer, bolt a 90 degree steel bracket to the inside of the bumper from the side (lightly grind the bolt heads down for clearance first), place the lip over the bumper, then bolt the lip to the bracket using the sections you heated and wrapped around.

Not sure how much of that made sense, so let me know if you have further questions.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!