Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php on line 380

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php:380) in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 110

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php:380) in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php:380) in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 136

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php:380) in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_topic.php:380) in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/admin/sources/classes/output/formats/html/htmlOutput.php on line 141
Self Myofascial release/trigger Point Massage - Hardtuned.net
←  Fitness Diet Bodybuilding

»
Hardtuned Classifieds

Self Myofascial release/trigger Point Massage

Element Unknown's Photo Element Unknown 11 Jul 2013

Thought i would start a topic on the topic of Self Myofascial release as I feel that it is an issue most people starting out in weight training don't usually learn about on their own until maybe some significant time later after going through all sorts of aches and pains.

I will attempt to explain this as simple as possible, however as I am not a physio by profession (working in IT) there may be gaps in my knowledge, however i have researched enough to get me by with rehab and maintaining flexibility .

Myofascial release is more or less to my understanding a form of soft tissue therapy, that may involve stretching to various degrees of pressure focused on particular trigger points on the body.

This image shows some of the common trigger points associated with stiff shoulders/neck.

Posted Image

You have probably walked in to they gym and spotted a foam roller, this is one prop used for this.
Other props in my personal arsenal are tennis balls/softballs, rubber medicine ball, swiss ball, but pretty much most things that can help apply pressure can be used.

Basically want to start a thread for anyone who practices this regularly to share different techniques, stretches, props they use and resources.

Of course there is no substitute for proper medical/physio advice and attention, so anyone with any serious musculoskeletal issues should note.
Edited by HumanHefner, 11 July 2013 - 11:20 PM.

Element Unknown's Photo Element Unknown 11 Jul 2013

just to kick things off here are a couple of great T Nation articles that i found useful starting out.
http://www.t-nation....er_for_10_bucks
http://www.t-nation...._for_tough_guys

WPN-X7's Photo WPN-X7 11 Jul 2013

might have to read up on this when i get a bit more time tomorrow

ive been shown a few basic things (that i believe are similar) by my old physio when i raced bmx and downhill. always been curious to suss out more.

Element Unknown's Photo Element Unknown 12 Jul 2013

I subscribed recently to Dr Mark Chen's channel, dude breaks it down pretty easy for layfolk as myself.

Edited by HumanHefner, 12 July 2013 - 04:43 PM.

Fire_Child22's Photo Fire_Child22 15 Jul 2013

So I saw this and was skeptical but I get sore backs from work that can make getting to sleep a struggle. Then I got talking to Pervy about this and he has a foam roller that he uses post exercise.

So he let me borrow it.

Wow it hurts.... and I expected it to take a few weeks of doing this before I'd feel the benefit, but on the first night I slept better then I have since being on holidays overseas.

The back does ache again in the afternoon, but doing it before bed really seems to be helping.

I'm keen on trying the rotor cuff as I also get tense shoulders and neck that can trigger a migraine that can last upto 3 days long.

Does anyone have hookups on buying a textured roller? Really keen on getting my own after what I've experienced so far.

Element Unknown's Photo Element Unknown 16 Jul 2013

Neck, shoulders, rotator cuff was a big one for me, I am prone to epic migraines as well from muscle tension, used to take loads of anti-inflammatory/ibuprofen, but now only really need to roll or tennis ball the shoulder blade to release most of the tension before it gets to that point.

You should be able to get s textured roller from most physiotherapy supply stores (haven't looked into Rebel or sports supplies yet), plenty of on-line stores, I would recommend from experience to get a reasonably long one as they are more versatile.

The textured one I use mostly (there's all sorts of other textures) is the "Rumble Roller" because of the high nodules, really gets right in there.

Posted Image

Edited by HumanHefner, 16 July 2013 - 10:23 AM.

Shark's Photo Shark 16 Jul 2013

View PostHumanHefner, on 16 July 2013 - 08:33 AM, said:

Neck, shoulders, rotator cuff was a big one for me, I am prone to epic migraines as well from muscle tension, used to take loads of anti-inflammatory/ibuprofen, but now only really need to roll or tennis ball the shoulder blade to release most of the tension before it gets to that point.
I had a quick browse of this yesterday. Thought it was something I'd look into later.
Now after reading that, I think I'm going to be doing alot of reading/watching sooner than I thought.
I also get bad headaches from muscle tension in my neck and shoulders. And my rotor cuffs are sometimes quite sore/tense.
Again, same deal here with the anti-inflammatories. Been getting into the deep heat, heat-packs and TENS unit aswell, but they don't really do much. And certainly don't stop the problem.

This seems like really useful stuff. Thanks for posting

(I have honestly never spotted a foam roller in my life. Then I read this, and saw one in the gym tonight :lol: )
Edited by Shark, 16 July 2013 - 08:47 PM.

bloodzkull's Photo bloodzkull 17 Jul 2013

I just use a length on 150mm poly pipe

Element Unknown's Photo Element Unknown 17 Jul 2013

Yeah I have used a hardwood stick to roll out my shoulder against walls, look like a weirdo but fealt good, now use it to release the muscles around my lower legs and fore arms.

Hey Shark, neck shoulder pain wise, what i have personally done and worked for me the most part is a combo of these two tennis ball techniques.

you should easily find the hot spots.
Edited by HumanHefner, 18 July 2013 - 12:19 AM.