Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
Told to eat less protein - Hardtuned.net

Told to eat less protein 

16 replies to this topic

#1 Spazo

• Car:JDM S15

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:58 PM

I had some blood tests a few months ago, I can't remember if I was using protein powder at that time but I have been told (by a doctor) that due to my kidney functionality I should cut down on protein.

The doc told me to get my blood tested after 2 weeks on my new diet but 'cos I didn't have much time to ask what I should eat instead I thought I'd suss it out with you guys.

I basically eat meat with every meal, I avoid carbs but still end up eating plenty of them because they're a bit of a standard with any bistro/restaurant/cafe (and I eat out all the time).

Should I substitute protein with something? How does one eat less protein? Should I eat meats with less protein?

Sorry, just a bit clueless.

#2 Element Unknown

• Car:1993 KRPS13

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:46 PM

your not one of those Atkin's diet flunkies are you?
perhaps get a referral to see a nutritionist if you think that your diet is normal but have this particular medical requirement...

personally I would try not to eat out and monitor my nutritional intake based on a proven standard like say the csiro recommended diet.
and by monitor I mean keep a food diary, something like mynetdiary is pretty good as it tracks all the nutritional metrics.
eating out is a bit of a minefield imho

but to answer your question, I guess you just should not eat so much protean? no substitution, but it might also be the types of protein that is the problem also.
which brings back the point of seeing a medical nutritionist.

Edited by HumanHefner, 12 September 2012 - 04:53 PM.

#3 Element Unknown

• Car:1993 KRPS13

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:57 PM

http://www.medicinen...rticlekey=50900

#4 Rasian

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:14 PM

hmm that's weird. Not sure whether you should be asking the question here tbh. I would follow what your doctor has to say.
But yet get a nutritionist, probably give you a better understanding.

But in general, there are a lot of research which says humans are able to absorb over 350-400grams of protein a day. But yes, too much protein may cause Kidney stones over time. That's why it's suggested to drink so much water, as water flushes the toxins out.
I'd probably up your water. Say 5 L a day for the next two weeks, and see what happens.

And yeh eating out is a big problem like hefner suggested.

#5 Dr. Cranium

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:52 PM

Depends on what is wrong with your kidneys. The problem with Doctors is they don't have nutrition training, the problem with nutritionists is they aren't doctors.

What exactly did he say was wrong?

You will just have to increase your vegetable intake, as eating meats with less protein means eating more saturated fat. You could always eat smaller meat portions and eat more vegetables.

#6 S15Roc

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:08 PM

Rasian, on 12 September 2012 - 05:14 PM, said:

I'd probably up your water. Say 5 L a day for the next two weeks, and see what happens.
5L?!!? That's heaps!! If he drinks that much it'll put more strain on his kidneys hahaha. Average recommended intake of water is 1.8-2L/day.

Just make sure you're drinking 1.8-2L a day.

You can't completely remove protein from your diet, as your body still needs it.
Maybe the best thing to do is to speak to a dietician, asking here will give you some mixed answers and cause you to become confused... And ask for further clarification from your GP if he's being vague like that.

Edited by S15Roc, 12 September 2012 - 07:10 PM.

#7 steveP

• Car:Galant VR4

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:20 PM

Apparently diverticulitis is attributed to too much protein in your diet. Can be pretty serious stuff.

http://en.wikipedia..../Diverticulitis

#8 Rasian

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:42 PM

S15Roc, on 12 September 2012 - 07:08 PM, said:

5L?!!? That's heaps!! If he drinks that much it'll put more strain on his kidneys hahaha. Average recommended intake of water is 1.8-2L/day.

You can't completely remove protein from your diet, as your body still needs it.
Maybe the best thing to do is to speak to a dietician, asking here will give you some mixed answers and cause you to become confused... And ask for further clarification from your GP if he's being vague like that.

U serious? Ur liver and kidney's function capacity runs on water consumption.
The 2 L recommended water is all crap. It doesn't account for exercise etc.
Water is also what creates fluid in your joints particularly for back pain relating to spine. Water deficiency also accounts for str loss. A 2% water dehydration is equivalent to a 10-20% str loss.
I drink 5-6 liters of water a day.

And if you take d bolt. You need to drink like 10-12 liters of water a day.
Don't say water will do damage to your kidney lol..... Your body is made up of 70% water so I don't know what your talking about.
The only thing you will need to worry about is consuming to mich water at once thinning out your blood: if so just take electrolytes or salt

#9 Dr. Cranium

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:56 PM

You are right in the fact that healthy kidneys can process 10-15l of water per day. But spazos kidneys are most likely not in perfect health, hence the doctor telling him to eat less protein, 5L is far in excess of what the average person is expected for a person to drink day-day. 2L is more than adequate.

How much protein do you eat? The average person needs 70-100g per day to remain "healthy", although you can get specially synthesised amino acids that only contain the 8 essential, which takes the strain off your kidneys for the same amount of essential amino acids. Although i am assuming your doctor would tell you this if your second blood test did not show an improvement in function on the lower protein diet.

Edited by Dr. Cranium, 12 September 2012 - 07:56 PM.

#10 Spazo

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:13 PM

I'm not and never was doing Atkins proper, but I did cut down on carbs to lose fat, which worked well.

I drink lots of water, I think alot more than the avg person, I'm always a bit dry (skin + throat) since I started on meds a few years ago and even though I stopped taking them it didn't really change. I also have to piss a bit more than the average person, have to get out of bed at least once a night (pain in the ass lol), and so far they haven't found the cause, waiting for the urologists to get hold of some pressure testing machine.

How much protein? Not sure but for brekky it's usually 2 eggs on toast with Vegemite, and for lunch or dinner it could be any of the following: steak with salad chips/grilled fish + salad/duck salad/ nando's chicken wrap/tuna salad that kinda thing. I'm not a big eater either, I like having less fat, don't wanna be a tank.

Also I go gym at least 2 nights a week and practice drums + walk alot so I would have thought the weights would consume the protein and all the exercise + not drinking or smoking would serve me well =\

#11 Dr. Cranium

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:48 PM

All has to pass through the kidneys, that is f**k all protein, i would get retested and/or a second opinion. If your kidneys can't deal with less than the RDA then there might be something up.

#12 hazard121

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:28 PM

If your kidneys are struggling I'd follow the advice. Protein in your urine above a certain level is linked to severe chronic kidney issues long term. I'd probably go see a renal physician.

#13 S15Roc

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:30 PM

Rasian, on 12 September 2012 - 07:42 PM, said:

S15Roc, on 12 September 2012 - 07:08 PM, said:

U serious? Ur liver and kidney's function capacity runs on water consumption.
The 2 L recommended water is all crap. It doesn't account for exercise etc.
Water is also what creates fluid in your joints particularly for back pain relating to spine. Water deficiency also accounts for str loss. A 2% water dehydration is equivalent to a 10-20% str loss.
I drink 5-6 liters of water a day.

And if you take d bolt. You need to drink like 10-12 liters of water a day.
Don't say water will do damage to your kidney lol..... Your body is made up of 70% water so I don't know what your talking about.
The only thing you will need to worry about is consuming to mich water at once thinning out your blood: if so just take electrolytes or salt
At no point has he specified his exercise habits? Or supplements he is taking? lol. 2L/day is a general rule of thumb, again without his full medical 'picture' we can't give him accurate advice.
And if hiss GP has asked him to decrease his protein intake, it would (most likely) mean that his eGFR is low, most likely because he has proteinuria. Again drinking such large quantities can further exacerbate his renal problems.

Dr. Cranium, on 12 September 2012 - 07:56 PM, said:

You are right in the fact that healthy kidneys can process 10-15l of water per day. But spazos kidneys are most likely not in perfect health, hence the doctor telling him to eat less protein, 5L is far in excess of what the average person is expected for a person to drink day-day. 2L is more than adequate.

Thank you.

To the OP, please, save your time, and speak to your GP. Give him/her a call, and ask. Simple. Don't waste your time here as no one here knows enough about your medical history, medications, allergies rah rah rah to offer useful or constructive advice. That, and you don't know who here is actually a medical professional or otherwise ;)

Edited by S15Roc, 13 September 2012 - 01:31 PM.

#14 Dr. Cranium

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:41 PM

In the end the only advice given in this thread was how he can lower his protein intake whilst still being able to enjoy eating meat.

I would get a referral to a urologist, as simply "eating less protein" may not be the best solution.

#15 hazard121

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:47 PM

Renal physician*

Unless you want your kidney removed.

#16 Spazo

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:51 PM

Hmm well I have seend a urologist and he sent me for an ultrasound of my bladder and kidneys (they found something weird with my bladder but not with my kidneys), then I went in for a cystoscopy in hospital and they didn't find anything then either. They said they'd contact me when they got some new machine that pressure tests the bladder.

I'm thinking the person that did the ultrasound and sent the report back to the urologist was a renal physician, I might check that out.

I know I'm a big boy and all but I'm kinda shitty that I was told "eat less protein" and left to fend for myself. I wonder how many patients would follow through with advice in those circumstances. I think I'll try find a nutritionist/dietician after all.

#17 steveP

• Car:Galant VR4

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:50 AM

This could be the making of a Rocky story. Start bulking up, win a body building comp, then be like 'my doctor said I would never be able to eat protein again *sob*'.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!