Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
hoping for some advice - Hardtuned.net

hoping for some advice 

37 replies to this topic

#1 mr_rbman

• Car:Datsun 1200

Posted 11 September 2008 - 10:54 PM

Post updated down the bottom!
Plz ignore this original nooby post, haha!

Hey guys, i have searched for the info i'm after but my goals seem to be a bit different to most so i haven't yet come across the answers/info.
I'll start with my stats.
i'm 23
approximately 175cms tall
88kgs in the morning (obvioulsy for my height i'm overweight)

I used to play a lot of sport but after my child and some other commitments that stopped, after a couple of years i realised i needed to get back into some more physical activity so i'm now playing indoor soccer every sunday and go to the gym (so far have been going since the middle of July) 3-4 times a week (dependant on work)
I have a mate who works out and he's given me a programme and some advice which has already helped but i want to get some more opinions.

Basically my goals are:
Stay roughly around the 90kg mark but lose the body fat (gut and love handle's) and tone/slightly build muscle.

I have improved my diet vastly but still probably isn't ideal. (i can't afford the protein shakes and supplements so that isn't an option)
Breakfast (7:30am) - 3/4 weet bix, or scrambled eggs on toast (no butter) with fruit juice.
Snack (10:15am) - salada's with tuna
Lunch (12:30pm) - roll with ham and cheese
Snack (3:00pm) - muesli bar/muffin
Dinner (6:00pm) - varies most days but usually steak and veg, curry with rice, spag bol etc.
Snack (7:30pm) - milo milkshake
Try to drink atleast 3L of liquid (Juice/cordial/water) a day.
(i find with all this i am never hungry and am usually struggling to eat my afternoon snack but i make sure i force myself to)

My workout consists of 3-4 one hour sessions a week.
I spend 15/20 mins on the bike and then the rest of the time is spent doing weights etc working on my whole body over the week. (knee's been playing up for a couple of weeks so i have been struggling to do all my squats!)

Any advice would be much appreciated from this info!
Cheers in advance!

#2 cruizer

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:17 PM

Done a search yet?

#3 moz2007

• Car:S13 Silvia Q's

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:20 PM

you only need one supplement and that protein, its not expensive, less than $1 per serving, which is a lot cheaper that any other food you are eating. If you really cant afford it, you can avoid buying some of: weet-bix, bread, saladas, rolls, muesli bars/muffins,juice,cordial etc, all of it is processed and if you want to lose body fat, you need to get rid of most (preferably all) of your processed food. i suggest oats or scrambled eggs for breakfast instead of weetbix. cut out carbs at night, get rid of spaghetti, rice, just go with lean meat and veggies for most meals, and have 6 meals a day. that should have you well on your way ;)

ps are you sure you have read all the threads? look in the article directory up the top, plenty of stuff on diet.

#4 elmrc13b

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:26 PM

this diet will achieve you nothing but more weight gain

Breakfast (7:30am) - 3/4 weet bix, or scrambled eggs on toast (no butter) with fruit juice. [fruit juice is shit for you]
Snack (10:15am) - salada's with tuna [good]
Lunch (12:30pm) - roll with ham and cheese [wheres the nutrients for muscle gain in this lunch?]
Snack (3:00pm) - muesli bar/muffin [shit]
Dinner (6:00pm) - varies most days but usually steak and veg, curry with rice, spag bol etc. [spaghetti wont help your cause]
Snack (7:30pm) - milo milkshake [fairly shit aswell]
Try to drink atleast 3L of liquid (Juice/cordial/water) a day. [loose the juice and cordial]

good luck

#5 GHOSTY

• Car:'02 S15

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:31 PM

View Postcruizer, on Sep 12 2008, 12:00 AM, said:

Done a search yet?
lol :lol:

#6 advan

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:52 PM

View Postteska, on Sep 11 2008, 06:09 PM, said:

this diet will achieve you nothing but more weight gain

Breakfast (7:30am) - 3/4 weet bix, or scrambled eggs on toast (no butter) with fruit juice. [fruit juice is shit for you] not to mention the weetbix and the milk that would go with it and toast is bad too
Snack (10:15am) - salada's with tuna [good] saladas seem pointless here
Lunch (12:30pm) - roll with ham and cheese [wheres the nutrients for muscle gain in this lunch?] ham? cheese?
Snack (3:00pm) - muesli bar/muffin [shit] <<agree
Dinner (6:00pm) - varies most days but usually steak and veg, curry with rice, spag bol etc. [spaghetti wont help your cause] like he said spaghetti and rice are a no no
Snack (7:30pm) - milo milkshake [fairly shit aswell] dodge milk alltogether if you can, eat cottage cheese instead
Try to drink atleast 3L of liquid (Juice/cordial/water) a day. [loose the juice and cordial]

good luck
teskas right
your diet is substandard
try snacking on more nutritionaly dense foods like nuts, tuna eggs etc and you need to eat more often
good work on the searching, its obvious you did some looking, have a look at the what makes you look good nekid thread, its long but worth the read

#7 sixteenshots

• Car:s13 silvia

Posted 12 September 2008 - 06:48 AM

I estimate if you lose the musli bar, juice and cordial and change the weet-bix for oat's with water, you should save enough coin to be able to afford some protein supplement's, vitamimme.com has some good whey @ $20 for 1.2kg's, i bought 8 of hte f**kers haha.

Read hte stickied thread's, they have everything you need, they have helped a shit load of ns.com member's drop fat and gain muscle. Just read it all and if there is any thing you don't understand, and can't find answer too then post in relevant thread.

Good luck mate.

#8 mr_rbman

Posted 12 September 2008 - 03:02 PM

thanks guys, i guess my searching abilities suck.
I used the search function at the top of the screen but still it didn't come up with what i was after (whats been suggested)
i didn't realise i was still eating so bad but thanks for the tips and i'll make sure i implement them in this weekends shop!

#9 sponger58

Posted 12 September 2008 - 03:12 PM

View Postsixteenshots, on Sep 12 2008, 07:31 AM, said:

vitamimme.com has some good whey @ $20 for 1.2kg's, i bought 8 of hte f**kers haha.
I had a look but can't find that deal on their site, might be sold out now :(

#10 NPR33

• Car:Mitsubishi EVO 8

Posted 12 September 2008 - 03:39 PM

Not on the website. But is still in store.

#11 express

WWJD - What Would Jesus Deadlift.. GO hard or GO home: Pain is

• Platinum Member
  • Classifieds Items
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts
  • Car:Nissan 180sx

Posted 15 September 2008 - 11:50 AM

yer i bought 3 on the w/e - good price, hope its decent stuff

#12 express

• Platinum Member
  • Classifieds Items
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 12:05 PM

yer i bought 3 on the w/e - good price, hope its decent stuff

#13 NPR33

Posted 15 September 2008 - 04:42 PM

I've almost finished 1 tub of chocolate "dynamic protein" tastes like crap compared to ON. But at 3 for $50 I'm not complaining.

#14 Houghy

Posted 15 September 2008 - 11:50 PM

chocolate tastes like shit and doesnt mix properly, vanilla is brilliant though. especially if youre mixing shit into it.

#15 r34skyline

• Car:Nissan R34 GT-T Skyline

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:59 AM

slightly OT, but the protein that's on special, if i was looking at the right one, had 40gms of protein per 150gm serving. Which compared to the usual 24gm per 30gm that most of us would be use to, seems ultra low. I may have read something wrong, but i think the USN protein was 40gms/150gms, or 8/30gms in a dymatize/ON type rating. Maybe that's why it's so cheap?

anyways, good luck to the original poster, some good info in here.

perhaps you'd like to post up your gym program as well?
i'm new to all this as well, but perhaps think about switching the bike for some sprint work? 10 x 50m's or something like that?

#16 express

• Platinum Member
  • Classifieds Items
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:36 AM

vanilla tastes shit with milk

#17 moz2007

• Car:S13 Silvia Q's

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:05 PM

i rkn vanilla tastes the bomb with milk, like a vanilla milkshake

#18 mr_rbman

Posted 24 September 2008 - 10:07 PM

just a bit of an update.
breakfast - 7:30am = 3-4 scrambled eggs.
morning snack - 10:00am = 100g tuna
lunch - 12:30pm = chicken and salad
afternoon snack - 3:00pm = 100g tuna
dinner - 6:00pm = steak/chicken and veg
evening snack - 8:30pm = small milo shake with skim milk
3L water.
(wanna change either my morning/afternoon snack to something different but i can't find anything good for you that i like) damn my fussy taste buds!

gym 3-4 times a week (depending on work)

Still probably not ideal but its a massive change from what i used to eat like, getting used to not having any carbs is the hardest part so far as well as probably the lack of variety.

haven't lost any actual weight but i've definitely gained in muscle and lost fat.

not many people mention mince in there 'what did you eat today' whats the reason for this?
also are there any 'sweet' snacks out there that are good for you?

#19 Dr. Cranium

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:08 AM

swap your milo shake for 250g of cottage cheese.

#20 dan^s15

• Car:S15

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:36 AM

if you get sick of tuna

plain yoghurt + fruit is good to

i wouldnt have milo that late at night...........but then again.. i dont have milo at all.

#21 Dr. Cranium

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:42 AM

tuna has 36gms of protien per 190g.
yoghurt and fruit has pissall.......

#22 dan^s15

Posted 25 September 2008 - 11:05 AM

yeah i know... but not everyone always wants to have tuna. i didnt say completely cut tuna out of the diet.

i have about 400g's of plain tuna, so i have nothing against it.. all i was doing was putting a suggestion out there to mix it up a little to keep him in the diet.

just feelin like i have been in a similar situation as him.. except i was weighing 110KG now weighing 83KG

#23 mr_rbman

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:46 PM

cheers mate, its not that i dont like tuna its just that i really find i'm struggling to eat much more!
Seriously looking into these protein supplements now and have that instead of my milo at night.

View PostBrisS15, on Sep 25 2008, 11:18 AM, said:

yeah i know... but not everyone always wants to have tuna. i didnt say completely cut tuna out of the diet.

i have about 400g's of plain tuna, so i have nothing against it.. all i was doing was putting a suggestion out there to mix it up a little to keep him in the diet.

just feelin like i have been in a similar situation as him.. except i was weighing 110KG now weighing 83KG

#24 Dr. Cranium

Posted 26 September 2008 - 04:14 PM

what im saying is, why would you substitute yoghurt and fruit for tuna?
makes no sense, like swapping chicken for oranges.

no protien in yoghurt or fruit......

swap it for protien powder and milk, not fruit n yoghurt.

#25 dan^s15

Posted 26 September 2008 - 04:26 PM

lol ok, fair enough, i see where your coming from, i was thinking more in the lines of... a replacement for a small meal

and yoghurt does have protein ..... just not near as much as tuna

BUT ANYWAY!!! it doesnt matter, because he doesnt like fruit and yogurt, haha

#26 mr_rbman

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:12 PM

wow, i was a real noob wasn't i! I haven't posted much since this original post but i've been on here pretty much everyday learning.
I thought i'd update this thread to show the ppl that gave me advice that it didn't go to waste and that i've stuck to it. The longest i've gone without training so far is 6 days (xmas) since i started.
I'm down from 88kgs to 81kgs and overall got a far better shape to me but i still have a long way to go yet.

Here's my diet which i am very strict with during the week and even on weekends i only slightly relax with 1 or 2 meals.
(Still not using any supplements what so ever but i think that may have to change soon for me to reach my goals.)
7:30am - scrambled eggs only with a dash of skim milk, salt & pepper (no toast) coffee with 1 sugar and skim milk.
10:00am - 100g tuna (with chilli sauce & garlic)
12:30pm - Salad. Chicken, lettuce, tomato, jalepeno's, avocado and cottage cheese with a drizzle of dressing.
3:00pm - 100g tuna (with chilli sauce & garlic)
6:00pm - chicken/steak with brocoli, cauliflower and carrot
9:00pm - 100g cottage cheese.250mL of skim milk with a tsp of milo.
3-4L of water a day

Here's my workout that i do Monday, Wedensday and Friday (work permitting) its just a slight variance to the skinny guy routine.
Squats -1 x 20, 1 x 15
Supersetted with Pullovers - 4 x 6
Bench Press - 4 x 6
Incline press - 4 x 6
BB Curls - 4 x 6
Military press - 4 x 6
Bents rows - 4 x 6
Dips - 2 x max
Chinups - 2 x max
this usually takes me between 45-50mins.
(is this a good order to be doing these exercises in?)
I think i need to start doing deadlifts and powercleans soon.

My goals are by the end of the year to get just below or around 80kgs. Then to be able to benchpress my bodyweight for 4 x 6. Squat 1.5 times my bodyweight for 1x10 and 100 kgs for 1 x 20 and military press .75 my bodyweight for 4 x 6.

Thanks again to the guys on this site who contribute such valuable info and please keep it up for guys like me.

#27 mr_rbman

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:23 PM

..............and with my job i have to go away once a month for 3 nights, this gets me out of my routine. So does anyone have a workout i can do in my hotel room for 30-45 mins? Obviously the only tools i have are in my hotel room. Somtimes i have access to a pool but rarely and going outside the room isn't always an option.
Cheers!

#28 DRIFTKID

• Car:Stagea

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:00 PM

milo is like 80% suger.. it is pure evil shit tastes f**kign awsome but who has 1-2 teaspoons? i would eat it buy the spoon full.. drop that

#29 NPR33

Posted 26 February 2009 - 01:40 PM

View Postmr_rbman, on Feb 23 2009, 09:06 PM, said:

..............and with my job i have to go away once a month for 3 nights, this gets me out of my routine. So does anyone have a workout i can do in my hotel room for 30-45 mins? Obviously the only tools i have are in my hotel room. Somtimes i have access to a pool but rarely and going outside the room isn't always an option.
Cheers!

Squats
Pushups
Chins
Lunges

Grab some bands to take with you and you can add some resistance, and do a few more exercises.

#30 essonefive

• Car:Old school s13 rb25

Posted 26 February 2009 - 03:47 PM

^^dips on a chair too.....

and stop persisting with the milo lol its no good man. also try add a piece of fruit with your 10am tuna too

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!