Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
5 x 5 to cut body fat - Hardtuned.net

5 x 5 to cut body fat 

40 replies to this topic

#1 spongeboy

• Car:180 sx

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:04 AM

Hi all,

A bit of a back story,
I got well acquainted with Mr McDonald's for about half a year.. so well acquainted he turned me into a fat *milkshake* after slapping on like 30 kilos of blubber. Anyhow I started doing muay thai and I've managed to shed about 20 kilos so far.

I was wondering if the 5x5 routine can help in lowering your body fat % when bundled with cardio and a low calory diet.

I ask because I would like to get rid of as much dead weight as possible to get me on the right path to compete in muay thai.

Any dieting help would be great. Chicken and lettuce for every main is getting a bit dull and I'm keen to add some more fruit and diversify greens. So any tasty recipes would be greatly appreciated.

#2 -Truck-

• Car:VIP Y31 Cima

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:42 PM

Squat your ass off, literally. The big three squats, dead lifts and bench. All compound lifts which work all the major muscle groups. For a routine have a look through the threads by one made by Dr.cranium. Has a self pick and choose template and works great for a beginner to intermediate level.

What is your height and weight? Makes working out diets a lot easier. Also how often are you doing Muay Thai training?

#3 spongeboy

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:47 PM

I'm 6 6 and now weigh 104 when I'm empty as far as food goes.. I pretty much train monday through friday

#4 -Truck-

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:13 PM

If you're already doing 5 days of most likley intense training you might find it a touch overboard to do weights on top. If you're more so focused on the Muay Thai then keep training Monday, Wednesday Friday. And do weights Tuesday Thursday Saturday. ( or whatever suits you).

Diet wise this is my personal one, low carb low calorie designed for clean bulking while dropping bf%

Breakfast
Frittata ( cooked in bulk) works out to be roughly 4-5 whole eggs, 50g shortcut bacon
Coffee.

Smoko
Handful of almonds
2 tins of tuna

Lunch
2-300g of chicken breast
1/2 cup brown rice

Personally I feel better training in a slightly fasted state

Just before workout
1 square of frittata (1 egg 10g bacon roughly)

Workout.

Dinner
3-400g chicken breast
1/2 cup brown rice
1 cup+ mixed veg

1 cheat meal per week, 1 carb load per week both in reasonable portions. Also eat 1-2 serves of red meat a week so you don't get f**ked up with low iron levels.

If you want to add more fruit you can add some for whatever meal if you're still feeling hungry.

The above works out roughly to 1800-2000cal.

2-3ltrs of water

And for my Chicken and rice combo I usually throw some sort of light stir through sauce to make it tasty.

Edited by -Truck-, 05 June 2013 - 02:18 PM.

#5 spongeboy

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:52 PM

Awesome I'm going to give it a shot started tonight. .

Thanks heaps for the advice

#6 Element Unknown

• Car:1993 KRPS13

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:20 PM

yeah man it all comes down to 80% diet, if you can get the right intensity out of a 5x5 to compliment that then you should be able to cut down no probs.

here is a copy of a 5x5 i have used to base my workouts on (you will need to download the .xls and change the inputs in the spreadsheet)

Edited by HumanHefner, 05 June 2013 - 05:21 PM.

#7 Legal Attorney

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:09 PM

View Post-Truck-, on 05 June 2013 - 02:13 PM, said:

If you're already doing 5 days of most likley intense training you might find it a touch overboard to do weights on top. If you're more so focused on the Muay Thai then keep training Monday, Wednesday Friday. And do weights Tuesday Thursday Saturday. ( or whatever suits you).

Diet wise this is my personal one, low carb low calorie designed for clean bulking while dropping bf%

Breakfast
Frittata ( cooked in bulk) works out to be roughly 4-5 whole eggs, 50g shortcut bacon
Coffee.

Smoko
Handful of almonds
2 tins of tuna

Lunch
2-300g of chicken breast
1/2 cup brown rice

Personally I feel better training in a slightly fasted state

Just before workout
1 square of frittata (1 egg 10g bacon roughly)

Workout.

Dinner
3-400g chicken breast
1/2 cup brown rice
1 cup+ mixed veg

1 cheat meal per week, 1 carb load per week both in reasonable portions. Also eat 1-2 serves of red meat a week so you don't get f**ked up with low iron levels.

If you want to add more fruit you can add some for whatever meal if you're still feeling hungry.

The above works out roughly to 1800-2000cal.

2-3ltrs of water

And for my Chicken and rice combo I usually throw some sort of light stir through sauce to make it tasty.

Id switch bacon for olive oil

And try to leave most of your carbs before and after your workout for regulating blood glucose levels

And the workout shouldn't be a max effort given the caloric deficit, you want 75% as a guide. You can't effectively promote growth whilst dropping weight and you don't want to risk muscle for fuel.

Id also fix your pre workout meal. Replace egg and bacon with whey and dextrose. Or. If you must eat, a piece of fruit and protein source. Fruit at other times is unnecessary. If hungry eat celery, cucumber etc. Low calorie low gi although concept of gi is debatable

Imo 5 x 5 is pointless on a cut. You should aim for 3 x 8 as a minimum if you prefer that volume..

Edited by Legal Attorney, 06 June 2013 - 11:15 PM.

#8 -Truck-

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:31 AM

Which the frittata I cook. Theres 18 eggs, spinach, capsicum, 200g bacon and a tablespoon of olive oil. Would that olive oil suffice or are you talking about drinking it straight?

#9 spongeboy

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:29 AM

3 x 8 sounds good.. I'm giving intermittent fasting/feeding a trial for the next month. I'm using a 16/8 system. has anyone tried IF before? If so any good/bad experiences

#10 -Truck-

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:47 AM

I tried a version of it for a while. Was terrible. Felt like absolute shit during the day, had no energy just generally felt flat. During training I'd get super tired quickly, muscle soreness lingered for days, and didn't feel proper until the nights feast. Although I did lose weight quite quickly I went backwards performance wise. Personally I'd use it as a last resort. Proper training and nutrition should leave you feeling better not worse, although that its a common misconception that you aren't going hard enough if you're sore the next day.

Edited by -Truck-, 07 June 2013 - 02:42 PM.

#11 bloodzkull

• Car:92 r32 gtr skyline. 85 single cab 4wd hulix (vn v6) and a 71 datsun 1600

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:45 PM

check out carb nite or carb backloading. follow either of those with the 5x5 program.

i'm around 2500-3000 calories on non training days and 3500+ on training days. still losing weight

#12 Legal Attorney

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:15 PM

View Post-Truck-, on 07 June 2013 - 09:31 AM, said:

Which the frittata I cook. Theres 18 eggs, spinach, capsicum, 200g bacon and a tablespoon of olive oil. Would that olive oil suffice or are you talking about drinking it straight?

I was talking about drinking it straight, given you can employ more accurate calorie control

If you start to plateau, I would drop the eggsbacon combo and use olive oil as a direct source of monounsaturated fat to spare muscle early on during the day

20g worth of fat should suffice... depends on your calories

And chuck in cottage cheese at night for recovery

Adding in some cardio sessions and/or further calorie deficit will help

I find measuring and controlling calories is difficult given estimation plays a huge role, especially when you start dealing with your true metabolic rate, thermic effects of food, activity levels etc

I think proper training and nutrition leaving you feel good is subjective. Eating 1100 calories a day whilst averaging around 2 hours a day training to lose fat and spare muscle is quite the headache

As for your feeling super tired on training days truck, it sounds like you have naturally poor insulin sensitivity, reintroducing refined carbs to a greater amount would make you feel lethargic. What were you eating on training days?

Edited by Legal Attorney, 07 June 2013 - 05:24 PM.

#13 -Truck-

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:25 PM

My diet is as above day in day out. It was only while I was trying a intermittent fasting diet i felt like crap. Right now I feel energetic all day.

Also I noticed a while back you offered coaching ( I think it was you anyway). If it was do you still do that?

#14 Legal Attorney

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:08 PM

Yea that would of been me. I haven't had the time nor patience recently to progress with the coaching. IF has a break in period of several weeks. Personally, leaving most of my meals to late in the day allowed a calorie intake of 1100.. with the overall daily deficit hitting 2000 depending on activity levels. Energy on these days was brilliant once my body adapted. With IF its not so much about hitting macros as it is about teaching you self control. Hitting your protein is important, but more so is the ability to eat with discipline when you need it, not when you feel you should eat (eg the misconception of breakfast). Limiting yourself to a window as in leangains is an example of this.

Edited by Legal Attorney, 07 June 2013 - 10:10 PM.

#15 highimpact

• Car:laser

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:48 PM

Never replace real food for protein and simple sugar supplements like dextrose. There is not enough slow release sugars to keep your body fueled for a heavy workout. Eat eat and eat the number one rule if you want to grow naturally.

Also always train 100% and dont worry about percentages when you are leaning down about how you need to train at 75% because you dont have the caloric intake. Your body will dictate your strength proportional to your food intake.

Whether you want to listen to mindless blubber or listen to me that is your choice. The only thing I can tell you is listen to your body it will tell you what you need.

And finally understand the word SUPPLEMENT. It is an adition to your diet not a replacement.

#16 Legal Attorney

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:59 AM

High impact. Out of curiosity whats your leanest bf%? And:

Bench
Deadlift
Squat

All 1rm

This will be interesting.

I imagine you have never hit below 10% bf or above 170kg squat due to your arrogance with misguided knowledge being completely incorrect. You say always train at 100% because the body will limit given the calorie intake. Or that you should never replace food for protein or dextrose. Your completely wrong on all accounts.. training at 100% when dieting can induce muscle wastage with the body converting muscle for fuel if your training at too high percentage of effort... this results in a major risk for injury if anything and is one of the reasons why machines are preferred by true bodybuilders, unlike yourself whom I suggest is a complete amateur. In turn we can allow prescribed effort levels in stupidly low mental states without the risk of injury.

As for everything else like how protein is metabolised in the body for protein synthesis, absorption rates, nutrient timing etc im not going to bother debating because it is clearly beyond your mental capacity. I dont feel like wasting my time and frankly, no one else would probably listen. Your knowledge is definitely incomplete and insufficient to give reasonable and accurate information. You remind me of an obese personal trainer giving cues on dieting. These people I loathe because they have no idea.

Go play with your sisters 20kg dumbells. Stick to what your good at.

Edited by Legal Attorney, 21 June 2013 - 11:10 AM.

#17 highimpact

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:38 PM

That link will explain to you exactly, how catabolic whey protein is.

#18 highimpact

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:41 PM

Author L Rea been around for years owns ALR Industries.

Best whey protein isolate purest form 16-17% anabolic 83-84% catabolic. No matter how pure 83-84% WILL hit the toilet. So its not coming from me there is a video about it.

And I do not use whey protein. Whey Protein is for losers. I use Humapro.

Have a nice day.

#19 -Truck-

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:48 AM

Just because there's a video saying something doesn't mean it is a credible source of information. Show some documented third party (research done by people not employed by supplement companies) scientific research about the anabolic and catabolic nature of whey. Half the time what people say about their own products is tainted research or skewed to make the product sound sound incredible, it's not like they're going going to say its shit, tastes like ass and is going to strain your kidneys.

I don't use whey or any other protein supplement and never will, I enjoy eating proper foods.

Edited by -Truck-, 22 June 2013 - 11:01 AM.

#20 highimpact

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:18 AM

^^^^^^ Thank you

You have hit the nail on the head.

Never replace food for supplements.

As for research regarding whey, well I have done my own. Using Isolyze pure whey protein isolate. My insulin goes through the roof as the excess whey can convert to glucose. And what he is saying is its common sense. Whey is a dairy product. We are the only species who drink another species baby formula. Its not produced for us its produced for baby cows.

With humapro none of this and im down 13 kilos while still maintaining and growing my muscle mass. I get a 6 monthly body scan done.

Oh and I have been as low as 4.5% bodyfat when I was 22. So I kinda know what im doing.

#21 Legal Attorney

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:07 PM

Pics or your lying. 4.5% I call rubbish

List your stats.

Its funny seeing your logic. Posting up your reasoning from a supp owner lol. I actually pity you and those who follow you/listen to you.

#22 highimpact

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:12 PM

How about this.

Im not listing a damned thing.

Im done, you do what you want to do. And i will continue to do what i do. Im 37 not some snotty nosed know it all 20 year old.

#23 highimpact

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:14 PM

This is the internet. If you want to have a training sesh with me i will gladly oblige. Those are the only numbers that count.

I am not a personal trainer. I train for me and noone else.

#24 Legal Attorney

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:17 PM

5 months ago

Attached Thumbnails

• Attached Image: Screenshot_2013-06-22-12-28-08.png

Edited by Legal Attorney, 22 June 2013 - 12:18 PM.

#25 Legal Attorney

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:19 PM

So u lack credibility, and were done....

#26 Shark

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:13 PM

View Posthighimpact, on 22 June 2013 - 12:12 PM, said:

How about this.

Im not listing a damned thing.

Im done, you do what you want to do. And i will continue to do what i do. Im 37 not some snotty nosed know it all 20 year old.
no, you are a snotty-nosed 37year old.
What is it with you middle-aged pricks thinking they 'know it all?'
You are so close minded in your own beliefs that come from no evidence apart from what you read on the internet as 'true' by sources that aren't even credible, that it completely baffles me as to why you keep making yourself look like a complete moron.
Take a chill pill, open your mind a bit, and try and grasp the fact that there may be others out there that are younger than you, that actually have MORE knowledge and experience on certain topics.

Good day.

#27 SRS13

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:48 AM

Shark, appreciate your opinion but the arguement was over.

Everyone has had their say and we need to move on.

No more personal stuff - keep it on topic from here on in thanks.

#28 spongeboy

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:21 AM

A bit of a progress report. I've reduced my 5 x 5 to once or twice a week and I now sit at 102 bloated. I have a fight (just boxing) in about 7 weeks so I've been working at stripping the fat off and rebuilding from there. I've also been doing 16/8 IFs with the odd 20 hour fast in there, one things for sure it does help control caloric intake and its getting me ready for the rigours of weigh in.. will upload progress photos soon.

Edited by spongeboy, 12 July 2013 - 10:21 AM.

#29 spongeboy

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:26 AM

Oh and truck I made the fritatta.. it tasted great, I've started smashing them out with spinach and fetta instead though and the odd mezze with mince or sucuk (gotta keep the wog in me happy haha) any thoughts on how that might affect progress?

#30 -Truck-

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:01 PM

As long as you don't go overboard with them I can't see it being an issue

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!