Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
Feeling dizzy during/after workouts - Hardtuned.net

Feeling dizzy during/after workouts 

13 replies to this topic

#1 Spazo

• Car:JDM S15

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:32 PM

This has been happening to me for a little while.

I have mostly dismissed it as being unfit/being a pussy but then I've been pretty active in the gym for the past few years. Nothing too intense, just weights.

Had a real shocker today, I decided to do some laps in the pool after my weight training. First time swimming laps since I was about 10 (I was one of those swimming squad kids back then).

Felt like dying! I went white in the face, was sweating pretty bad, had to sit down for a while.

Does this happen to anyone else? Seen any doctors about it? Or do you just put it down to being unfit?

I smoked like a chimney for about 7 years (quit more than 3 years ago).. sometimes I wonder if I did something permanent.

#2 brent47

• Car:jdm 15

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:00 PM

I used to have dizzy spells from low blood pressure but it hasn't been an issue for a few years, I'd definitely suggest just getting a general medical anyway.

Really can't see how it would be an unfit or smoking related thing as you'd be well on your way to repair from most damages of smoking and you certainly don't sound unfit.

Also low iron maybe?

#3 pmod

• Car:Fruity 180sx

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:02 PM

The only time I feel dizzy at the gym is after a raw 220/230kg single rm deadlift. Usually I just walk away totally fine, but that's a triple-bodyweight lift for me so sometimes I have to drop to one knee and recover for a few seconds. Given the pressure on the body, it's to be expected though.

There's no harm in seeing a doctor as it's possible for there to be permanent damage (always happens to some extent with smoking), but I wouldn't necessarily jump on that bandwagon for the cause. Based on your description, it certainly sounds like it could be a fitness issue. I've known unfit non-smoker friends to report feeling dizzy during cardio sessions, and they lift at the gym. My old man was a smoker for almost 20 years, quit smoking, did no exercise due to work and kids, 8 years later took up running with me at a time when he couldn't even run 100m, trained and went on to net 2nd in the World Masters 800m when it was held in Sydney. There are a few breathing inefficiency issues he's had due to smoking, but nothing like you described.

The thing to keep in mind Spazo is that whilst there exist plenty of fit guys that lift, lifting itself does almost f**k all for fitness. You have to do other forms of training to gain it. For your situation, I suggest introducing some risk-free cardio, meaning some long-slow-distance running on grass. Although swimming is fantastic low-impact exercise, given your current problem, you're better off doing something that has no chance of drowning in the event that you collapse or faint unexpectedly.

#4 steveP

• Car:Galant VR4

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:58 AM

As stated, we're not doctors, so we can only give our thoughts on it.

I used to get what you're describing when I had skipped breakfast/lunch or was generally eating shitty so my body wasn't getting the nutrition it needed. The first thing I would look at is what you're eating, and making sure you're eating enough pre and post workout.

You said you did laps after weights. Did you have a shake after the weight training before cardio? If not, give that a go next time. Try adding some creatine to your post workout shake for that extra bit of energy.

Personally I would also seperate your weight training and cardio days.

#5 SX SPEC

• Car:2002 ADM S15

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:01 AM

low blood sugar?
Definately see a doctor either way.

#6 pabs89

• Car:180sx

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:22 AM

make sure you've eaten well before gym or cardio ect. but dont overdo it obviously.

could come down to lack of fitness, but as stated by anyone with common sense, we're not doctors. if it does happen again, take a knee or sit down, just to make sure you can get some blood flow back into your head.

#7 ru55kj

• Car:S15

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:26 PM

Might be something as simple as your breathing (or more likely not breathing enough) technique. Your body might be showin you that it needs more oxygen in your blood...

#8 blackice87

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:32 PM

Do you take any pre-workout supps?

#9 pabs89

• Car:180sx

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:56 PM

^ +1 pre workout supps before doing cardio will kill you.

#10 Spazo

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:28 PM

Thanks all.

No, I don't really believe in supplements anymore. And I probably ate 3 hours before gym.

Did some blood tests recently though and nothing came back.

I have a history of anxiety though, and my pulse can pretty fast at times. Seeing a dietician and exercise therapist next month, maybe they'll be able to tell me something.

#11 Slippery Gypsy

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:56 AM

I've taken pre work out mixes and stacks before cardio with no ill effect?

I'd put it down to over training. You do weights and then laps in a pool. Your last meal is three hour prior to your weight session. By the time your half way through your weight session, your body's burnt off your last meal and I don't think your taking anything intra wise?

Move your meal forward, an hr before even and see how you go. If you canyt do this, grab a powerade for the electrolytes tp drink while doing weights. The extra sugar will give your body fuel to keep going. Ultimately our body's are like cars :lol:

Edited by Slippery Gypsy, 27 March 2014 - 07:00 AM.

#12 steveP

• Car:Galant VR4

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:02 AM

Or just have 3-4 rice cakes half an hour before if you don't like working out on a full stomach.

#13 Spazo

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:34 AM

Cheers.

You're prob right. Someone said something about breathing before and I was having a hard time getting air and trying to time it in the pool. Swimming is so hard!

I think I did 8 or 10 laps, stopping to catch my breath at the end of each one.

Will see how things improve.

#14 Marko

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:09 PM

I used to get dizzy spells when i was a teenager. i managed it by having enough simple carbs while playing sport and having a light meal an hour before playing. when the dizziness came on i had to quickly eat chocolate or a sweet drink otherwise i would have to sit down for 10min

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!