Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
buoy's weights 101 for n00bs - Hardtuned.net

buoy's weights 101 for n00bs 

17 replies to this topic

#1 buoy

• Car:RAV4

Posted 15 February 2005 - 10:14 PM

Posted Image WEIGHTS 101 PR1M3R Posted Image

Posted Image

hokay.

everybody wants to get big, but nobody wants to lift no heavy ass weight.

well, this is true for most people, but for some lifting weights is actually pleasureable. how to get yourself into heavy lifting orgasmic glory is up to you, but here is a teeny weeny little primer to get the super n00bs started as the first steps are often the hardest.

these rules shouldn't be considered rules in this primer, only guides. like in the matrix, some rules can be bent. others can be broken. understand?

About this Primer:
this primer has three specification factors which are concerned about your mental mindset and helping you understand the situations pertaining to weight training to be able to move forward; and three practical factors which give the practical infrastructure necessary for a successful workout regime and program structure.

----------------------------

Posted Image

specification factor #1: mindset

there are 2 types of people at the gym: those that are there to bullshit around and those who are there to work out. winning the mind game is the most important first step towards humungo-heaven. if you do not have the correct mindset, just forget about the whole thing right now.

drive and passion is not enough.
people who are driven can get good starts in things and those who have a passion for having a good body will also strive.... but what about the days when work takes over? what about when you are sick? what about when so many other things pile upon each other that diverts your drive and depletes your passion for what you want to achieve? The answer is quite simple: you fail.

there is only one mindset that works and that is this: bodybuilding is a lifestyle.

you can be swamped at work, feel like shit, have lost track of your calories, not eaten well, been sick... and yet you'll still get it back together. why? because its just how you live. if you make bodybuilding a part of your lifestyle you will only need the drive and the passion when working out... but the times that you don't have it will not destroy your goals entirely.

Posted Image

specification factor #2: adaptation and improvisation

this denotes intelligence. knowledge is power in this game. your body is unique and will respond differently to your training partners body. some body parts may grow like a spastic ninja. others may sit there subbornly unmoved by your attempts at solicitating hypertrophy.

learn to respond to what your body is telling you. this is the second most important thing to do. out of the hundreds of "workout" plans, nutritional advice, training advice, there is only one person that can tell you which ones are working and which ones aren't... and unless you have a hefty wallet, the answer is not your personal trainer, it is YOU. You are your personal trainer. you listen to your body and YOU make the decisions as to whether something is working for you or whether its just a load of yadda yadda and you need to move on to something else. creatine? yep, works for me or naah doesn't work for me... that is a question you - yes YOU - must answer. and answer truthfully, otherwise you are just kidding yourself.

the ideal workout does not exist in practice... nor does the ideal nutritional regimen. you work to "ideal" caloric intake requirements, but you are usually busy. you have appointments. you have work. you have a LIFE. you must IMPROVISE most of the time to get as close to your ideals as possible. a good improvisor will see that they have a late night coming up and work their training schedule around it. miss lunch? - grab a banana and museli bar on the train inbetween meetings. keep a protein shake in the fridge at work. BE CREATIVE. unless you are mr zillionaire with a personal nutritionist and trainer with nothing to do 20 hours of the day, you will need this quality to make it big.

Posted Image

specification factor #3: prioritization and consolidation

The human body, like all organisms, has internal priorities. its first priority is to make sure that it survives. This may seem strange at first, but if you understand that your internal management is constantly checking its survival situation 24/7, you will understand what to do in order to make your body do what you want it to do, and in this case it is to GROW.

The Body's 2 Major Modes:
The body has 2 "major" modes for simplicities sake we will just call them their anabolic and catabolic state. Your body is EITHER in one or the other and your body is ALWAYS in one of these states.

The Growing State
the anabolic state is when your body is in a "forward" mode of cell growth and nutrient expenditure. lipid stores are tapped. more energy is ready for burning. you have an excess amount of nutrients. this happens after you eat and for around 4 hours after. this state requires that you not be hungry, thirsty nor tired. continued living in this mode will make you gain weight / muscle mass.

The Shrinking State
the catabolic state is when your body is in "retreat" via cell consolidation and conservation. more excess nutrients are moved INTO lipid cells (fat storage). muscle fibers are destroyed, as they are easier to convert into energy than fat. damaged muscle fibers aren't repaired, the damaged cells are simply destroyed and the fibers grow thinner. you are generally weaker in this mode and not "up" for a workout. BASICALLY your body does not know when your next meal will be - your last meal is all used up and it's battening down the hatches and preparing your body to last several days without food... just incase you can't get any. This mode is entered if you are hungry yet ignore your hunger - are thirsty yet do not drink, are sleepy yet do not sleep. continued living in this mode will make you wither into a thin anorexic 98 pound weakling... and eventually, death. Your body will automatically enter a catabolic state if you haven't eaten anything within 4-6 hours of your last meal depending on metabolism.

Now the state that you weight trainers want to be in as much as possible is, surprise surprise: The Anabolic (Growing) state.

how do you know which mode you are in? it's just how you feel. if you start to feel hungry, but you feel like you have a lot of energy, you are probably still in anabolic mode. if you do not eat, however, you will find that you will get hungrier and hungrier... then all of a sudden you won't feel hungry anymore even though you haven't eaten. you feel like you don't need to eat. you feel a bit weaker. it is then that your body has moved into its catabolic mode. it is the mode that it switches to when any of these 3 things have been exceeded past a certain point: food, water or rest.

in order to get big, your main goal is to keep your body in "anabolic" mode for as long as is possible. The less your body dips into a catabolic state, the more beef it can schlap on those bones of yours. Your body, in catabolic mode, is worried it is going to die... so stay out of catabolic mode! Your body won't be interested in building muscle in this mode.... so stay anabolic as much as possible!

SUPER SIDE NOTE: There are a suite of drugs that do force the body into an erm *cough* "anabolic" *cough* state... but the word is naughty so i'm not going to tell you it so there!

----------------------------

practical factors:

there are three things that you, as a living organism, need to address to remain in an anabolic (read: muscle building) state of growth, and these are, in this order:

1. food
2. sleep
3. training

I wanted to say diet or nutrition for the first one, but i need to digress here to keep it simple and straight forward. Examine the three requirements, in order. That is what must be satisfied always.

If you find you want to do #3 but #1 or #2 have not been satisfied, performing #3 would not yield much end result. the end result is: more muscle mass.

1. Food
this is the most important and most widely overlooked requirement for getting humungo. you may have a GT25 spooling up, but if you don't have anything squirting out of them injectors? forget about horsepower mate... ditto with weights. FOOD IS THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR. Diet is what you want to pay close attention to. Take important note of protein, calcium and carbohydrates. You will come to know what these are (if you dont know already) and make sure you supplement your body with these in abundance as much as possible. Enough to keep you building mass... perhaps not too much that you get fat (endomorphs beware!) and not too little that you won't grow (see: catabolic mode above). Ideally, you should eat a nutritious meal every 4 hours and have 6 meals per day. This is impractical, so you must do some improvising (see specification factor #2).

2. Sleep
this is the SECOND most important and one of the most widely overlooked requirements. no sleep? no grow. it's that simple. ideally, you would sleep 8 hours a day.
NOTE: those quick in the head may realise an 8-hour sleep-fest will violate rule #1: FOOD - and since rule #1 is superior to rule #2, it is upon good advice that many astute weight trainers get up after 4 hours of sleep and ingest at least a protein shake before finishing off the remaining 4 hours of sleep.

3. training
this is the LAST and LEAST most important of the three, yet the MOST talked about requirement when it comes to weight training. Probably because, without #3, you will simply grow into a fat bastard :lol: - nonetheless, you MUST ensure that #1 and #2 are completely satisfied before jumping into #3. The general rule for #3 is: damage the muscles. That's it. whatever you have to do, whatever training advice, pyramids, hyper-sets, super-sets, yadda-yadda-sets... the popular set-du-jour... i dont care. it's whatever works for you. at the end of the day, if your muscles are sore, you've done the job. perhaps a few simple tips may be included here:
- make sure you work the muscles and dont jerk the weight (may result in injury).
- make sure the load on your joints is not too much. wear appropriate joint support.
- make sure you are spotted on heavy exercises that may result in injury.
- working "to failure" is generally the advice given to send the message to a muscle group to "grow" - yet in reality what is needed (specifically) is enough resistance to damage muscle fibers. working a muscle group "to failure" is not a guarantee that muscle fibers are damaged. also, working heavy is no guarantee the muscle fibers will be damaged. what is a guarantee? lol... well, this is where you enter the wonderful world of "training advice". lots of do's and don'ts and do this and do that... but what works is up to you (see specification factor #2 above). somebody may tell you "Do this! Works for me! It'll work for you" and you do it and nothing happens. lol. their body is different to yours. remember that! BE SMART! TRAIN SMART. basically it is all up to you.

-------------------------

THE END! GOOD BYE AND GOOD LUCK!

well, there you have it folks. not much in the way of "take this" or "do that" but this is just a generalisation for the starter. knowledge is power. read up on supplements, training, diet and nutrition... and with this primer as a guide you can go far.

#2 Menthu_Rae

Posted 15 February 2005 - 10:32 PM

thanks, looks pretty useful from what i skim-read... all hail buoy the all-knowing :lol: now with muscles to match the brain size :P

#3 BlackMR2

Posted 15 February 2005 - 11:23 PM

actually rule 1 i'd say...

look at the real reasons you feel you need to get BIG rather then simply keep fit and tone up or improve your performance at a particular sport you enjoy.

eating this much crap so often and training that hard to pack on a useless amount of extra muscle isn't healthy just by the way

but each to their own

#4 x121212

Posted 15 February 2005 - 11:23 PM

Is that legit? :huh:
im past the point of not eating. i can go up to 24 hours without a meal and feel fine, and no im not anorexic, people who know me know im a thin person i have a high metabalism and have energy yet i barely eat.

Another interesting thread by buoy
nice avatar btw

#5 thundered

• Car:2004 Subaru WRX STi

Posted 15 February 2005 - 11:24 PM

Wheres your BMR talk in the food section? :D
Good job from what I read :)

#6 BlackMR2

Posted 15 February 2005 - 11:29 PM

aspects of what he has there are definitely true, i simply question what drives some people to want to be BIG!

A good friend of mine who worked in the body building industry and had heaps of body builder mates thought... "when in rome..."

so he went from 5 foot 9 and about 70ish kg up to 100kg with a low body fat percentage. He was Big and he was buff!

now he has dropped back to 70ish kg again and said he was so sick of stuffing his face full of all this sh*t every few hours. He said he felt he lacked vitality, was more aggressive in his personality, had poor cardio fitness and generally got over it very quickly.

now he does a lot of cardio, eats a sensible balanced diet, does some light resistance training for tone and says he feels the best he has ever felt, and would not go back to how he was despite the extra attention looking like that got him

#7 buoy

Posted 15 February 2005 - 11:37 PM

s_1_3, on Feb 15 2005, 02:06 PM, said:

im past the point of not eating. i can go up to 24 hours without a meal and feel fine, and no im not anorexic, people who know me know im a thin person i have a high metabalism and have energy yet i barely eat.
you have mastered the art of the longevity diet.

the diet for people who live the longest is a diet that keeps the body catabolic and only anabolic when necessary, resulting in the slowest rate of celular division and the slowest rate of ageing.

your body is conditioned at the moment at least to expend very little celular activity. you should live quite a long time... perhaps as long as 120 years if your genes are good enough. Only a few extreme ectomorphs can currently do what you do without too much trouble.

just remember the flip side to living on the "down-low" as i'd like to call it. you are much more susceptible to disease.... and a cold or flu can take "months" of normal living celular division and use it up in a matter of weeks. that fever your feeling? thats your cells dividing so quickly its overheating your cooling system. if you stay on that diet and avoid sickness you're on to a winner!

EDIT: For those of you wanting to read more information on this diet, type "calorie restricted highly nutritious diet" into google, or just click this link:
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=ca...ious+diet&meta=

#8 rickshawed

Posted 16 February 2005 - 12:24 AM

For someone starting weight lifting, you really have to go through all channels of research and understand exactly what u are doing. Lifting weights is not as simple as moving iron and packing muscle.

The post by buoy is good, you really have to get the mindset right from the start, otherwise big dollars will be wasted on gym membership/equipment and your time will go down the drain.

Nutrition is the most important thing when it comes to bulking. BUT you also need to examine you physique and body. Recommended intake of 6 would probably be standard amongst those in the know, but this rule can be modified with reference to specific bodies. Hard gainers will enjoy prompt and significant gains eating right when in the introductory phase of training, but it must be mentioned that even as few as four meals for a person of healthy size with a low metabolism, with bring about gains. For noobs it is important to experiment with the nutrition. Make sure these meals are made with ideas on protein, calorie intake, etc. There is no use in adhering to 6 meals, whilst eating all the wrong foods.

With regard to the training itself, i recommend if u are a total noob, to spend a few sessions with an experienced personal trainer and learn the CORRECT form and technique for moving the weights. If anything, at least ask a friend. Too many kids at the gym waste all time by incorrectly performing exercises which are very simple when the time is taken to learn. Even though nutrition and sleep are of utmost importance, benefits with be severely reduced with wrong technique. It is also very important for noobs to understand that gains are markedly substantial during the first few months of training. That is, when your body has no prior exposure to weights, the reaction will be considerable in the initial stages of training. Therefore it is important to do everything right right from the start.

#9 Sprung Munkey

Posted 16 February 2005 - 07:14 AM

Sprung Munkey Industries presents:

Sprung Munkey Weights 101.

Posted Image

This is THE only way to gain those toned muscles!

#10 sr180

• Car:Nissan 1996 180sx.

Posted 16 February 2005 - 08:27 AM

rickshawed, on Feb 16 2005, 12:37 AM, said:

Too many kids at the gym waste all time by incorrectly performing exercises which are very simple when the time is taken to learn.
Yeah, but it gives us something for the rest of us to laugh at!

And this little dude rules: Posted Image

#11 x121212

Posted 16 February 2005 - 11:06 AM

buoy, on Feb 16 2005, 12:50 AM, said:

s_1_3, on Feb 15 2005, 02:06 PM, said:

you have mastered the art of the longevity diet.

the diet for people who live the longest is a diet that keeps the body catabolic and only anabolic when necessary, resulting in the slowest rate of celular division and the slowest rate of ageing.

your body is conditioned at the moment at least to expend very little celular activity. you should live quite a long time... perhaps as long as 120 years if your genes are good enough. Only a few extreme ectomorphs can currently do what you do without too much trouble.

just remember the flip side to living on the "down-low" as i'd like to call it. you are much more susceptible to disease.... and a cold or flu can take "months" of normal living celular division and use it up in a matter of weeks. that fever your feeling? thats your cells dividing so quickly its overheating your cooling system. if you stay on that diet and avoid sickness you're on to a winner!

EDIT: For those of you wanting to read more information on this diet, type "calorie restricted highly nutritious diet" into google, or just click this link:
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=ca...ious+diet&meta=
haha if this is bs, your on a roll, cause when i get sick it lasts a long time, but luckily i hardely get sick.
pffft to weights n shit i dont have the energy to do that constantly.

oh and chris your little flex man is wicked love the expression on its face

#12 buoy

Posted 16 February 2005 - 11:12 AM

yes, keep disease at bay and you will look 30 when you are 40.

my avatar is a work in progress lol :)

#13 RyanJ

• Car:Black '91 sr20det 180sx

Posted 16 February 2005 - 01:48 PM

bouy how about an ultimate wieght loss/toning guide for those pudgey bastards among us?

#14 spandex

Posted 16 February 2005 - 01:52 PM

RyanJ, on Feb 16 2005, 04:31 AM, said:

bouy how about an ultimate wieght loss/toning guide for those pudgey bastards among us?
lol i wonder who that is :P

#15 buoy

Posted 16 February 2005 - 02:01 PM

well, unless you have chronic obesity you can do weights / cardio and follow a diet low in fat and high in protein... but still have carbs, just not as much.

the more muscle you have, the easier it is for your body to burn the fat stores when you do cardio.

starving yourself only makes your body want to cling to the fat even more. it uses your muscle stores for energy... so you'll weigh less, but its mostly lean body mass you've thrown away.

eat smaller more frequent meals to keep your body from storing fat and be more active. that's a start.... the rest you'll have to work out yourself solly lol.

#16 fatty

Posted 16 February 2005 - 05:59 PM

hmm.. just having a look around here... ignore me... :lol:

#17 SINNN

• Car:S14a

Posted 03 September 2006 - 07:36 PM

step 1 - get on the gear muhaha sif those guys in the pics arent lol

#18 JohnnyJizm

• Car:180SX

Posted 04 September 2006 - 01:11 AM

Man, I pulled a shoulder twice this year already, I'm having to ease up on the heavy weights right now (as in I used to feel the upper arm bones bending during bench press). I think my muscles grow quickly now because I intuitively know the rules that Buoy talks about. Just have to give the chance for the tendons to catch up with the muscles.

In terms of training, the best gains I had, was when I could do it regularly, number one, then I had to mix up the routines.
For each bodypart on a particular training day :
- go heavy and low reps (6-8) with lots of rest between sets (2-3min)
- go moderate weight, moderate reps, moderate rest (aka quality training)
- go light weight, high reps and strictly 1 min rest between sets.
then repeat the cycle. Different bodyparts are on different cycles.
No need to write it all down, just do it.

In other words, say in one workout, I'd train one bodypart heavy, and a different bodypart moderate, and another bodypart light.

I've started doing cardio alot more since the shoulder injury and I'm even gaining weight from that, I must have been neglecting those fast and slow aerobic twitch muscle fibres before. ie : for kickboxing training, my hands would tend to drop towards the end of the session the shoulders would be killing me. Now I can keep the hands up the whole time and no pain at the end.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!