Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
4x4 Newbie topic - Hardtuned.net

4x4 Newbie topic 

15 replies to this topic

#1 JoeT

• Car:Pajero

Posted 05 March 2011 - 08:59 PM

Ok since the 4x4 topic/ crew thread is getting blitzkrieg-ed with random newbie questions at an ever increasing rate I thought I'd make a post for newbies to post freely in without being criticised by the more seasoned 4wders.

So newbies ask away and don't be shy!

We'll leave this post for the smaller questions that need a short answers.. anything that you think may need a discussion should be posted as a separate thread.

Thanks
JoeT

Edited by JoeT, 05 March 2011 - 09:34 PM.

#2 Lucas.

• Car:Toyota 4 runner

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:08 PM

Good start mate, leave the other thread for general chit chat

#3 pig1jz

• Car:1jz cressida

Posted 29 November 2011 - 04:23 PM

how would 33s go on my 2.6 rodeo?will it be slow.....

#4 atari4x4

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:46 PM

yeah larger tyres are going to knock it around a fair bit, what size are you currently running?

#5 pig1jz

• Car:1jz cressida

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:27 AM

dont know man,maby 31s.prity new to this 4x4 stuff.

going to copy my mates rear shackels thay are way longer than mine,will it raise mine a bit in the rear with the longer rear shackel???

#6 atari4x4

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:17 PM

33's are going to put a bit more stress on the driveline, from CV's to clutch, axles & diffs etc, it will affect day to day driving putting your speedo out (will read less than actual road speed = speeding tickets) as well as making low range not as low, so you'll end up working the clutch alot more.

with the shackle lift, don't just copy the length of your mates shackles unless he's running a rodeo as well. when fitting an extend shackle it will change the pinion angle slightly, not so much a problem in the back. but in the case of a hilux or similar with leaf springs front & back extended shackles in the front will affect the castor a bit.

keep in mind when making shackles up generally they will only lift it 1/2 the amount you extend them as the leaf spring is fixed at the other end so that extra length is shared across the length of spring.

so if you make new shackles 2" longer than stock it will only give you 1" of lift at the axle, 4" longer shackles will give you 2".

keep in mind extended shackles are illegal, so don't go painting them flashy colours... stealth black works bes and blue shackles won't flex as well as red. :lol:

Edited by atari4x4, 30 November 2011 - 08:17 PM.

#7 SpotMan

• Car:rb20 S13 & Maverick

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:21 AM

how do i shift into 4x4? :quagmire:

#8 SierraDan

• Car:Sierra

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

Extended shackles are the worst way to add lift.

Helps your unis flog out.
In the front changes your castor for the worst.
Your up and down travel is reduced.
It will ride like a medieval cart.

Get reduction gears(yes they exist for isuzu)
Try and see if there are other diff ratios.
Chuck 33's on which will fix numerous clearance issues.

#9 EnFlaMEd

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:33 PM

whats a circa 2000 Range Rover like with the v8 and would it be any good at turning into a tourer/capable off roader

#10 SierraDan

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

There are mixed opinions on Rover reliability.

But like everything. It is what you make it.

Where you want to drive it, what you neeed to fit in it and how much money you have will decide and adequate vehicle.

#11 Rocky88

• Car:JK Rubicon

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

There aren't many off road mods available for p38 range rovers, would make a decent tow car/tourer tho. I'd rather get a classic rangie for offroading.

#12 A31Cefiro

Because I'm suave its ok for me to act like a prick

• Classifieds Items
  • 7,863 posts
  • Car:A31 Cefiro

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:16 PM

I'll be looking at getting a 4WD at the end of the year for towing & offroading, possibly even as a daily. A few mates have GQs, a few have 80 series Land Cruisers. For the 4WD afficionados on here, which one is better, for what reasons?

#13 EnFlaMEd

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

Ok next one. UZJ100R Landcruiser. The one with the 4.7L v8. I can't justify the money for a HDJ80R and cant afford a HDJ100R so was thinking maybe the v8 would be pretty awesome, especially seeing as you can get them in manual. I have a feeling that they would be a little shite for economy?

#14 SierraDan

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:36 PM

View PostA31Cefiro, on 06 January 2013 - 08:16 PM, said:

I'll be looking at getting a 4WD at the end of the year for towing & offroading, possibly even as a daily. A few mates have GQs, a few have 80 series Land Cruisers. For the 4WD afficionados on here, which one is better, for what reasons?
Much of a muchness really. 80series look nicer, feel like a newer car than a GQ. If you get the 4.2 turbo diesel both will be good and economical for what they are.
GQ has the stronger diff centres. 80series front hi pinion prone to failure under load in reverse.

Its the Ford/Holden thing in a different category.

#15 A31Cefiro

Because I'm suave its ok for me to act like a prick

• Classifieds Items
  • 7,863 posts
  • Car:A31 Cefiro

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:45 PM

Continuing on from the Patrol v Landcruiser thing, what are the 2.8T 96-2000 Pajeros like? I've seen a couple with all the right mods i'm after - lift, steel front bar, roof rack, dual batteries, electric brakes, etc for a good price.

#16 dmoll11

• Car:Patrol

Posted 05 September 2016 - 10:07 AM

Continuing on my Nissan Patrol and I am after the right after market gear like Bull Bar, 4" lift Led light bar, Dual batteries and etc. for a good price.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Google
Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!