Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
Advice for doing weights? - Hardtuned.net

Jump to content


Advice for doing weights? 

33 replies to this topic

#1 suburbanoperations

  • Joined:26-July 03
  • Location:Australia VIC
  • Car:VY SV8

Posted 11 December 2005 - 09:03 AM

hey guys

i currently doing weights at home..

i have a 45kg dumbell set and a 10 kg arm weight set..

now i wanna tone up and expand on my bicep muscle and pecs...

can some1 give me some excersises to do so i can tone up and get some bigger pecs and biceps..
and also will i need protein shakes or the like?

any help would be appreciated...

thanks :)

#2 HYPR180

  • Joined:10-March 04
  • Location:Australia SA
  • Car:180sx

Posted 11 December 2005 - 09:16 AM

i been at gym for 2 years now, mate is a personal trainer to

use protien shakes!!! they help heaps (2 on non work out days, 3 on work out days)

do lower reps and higher weight (eg. as much as you can lift, and about 8-9 reps) and make sure in each rep you fully stretch and flex your muscle (a common fault)
you'll get pecs from bench press, go for triceps to (opposite side of bicep)

also google search muscle building programs and diets

#3 Simvegas

  • Joined:13-March 05

Posted 11 December 2005 - 09:19 AM

Dumbell bench press and dumbell flyes. For your biceps hammer curls, alternating dumbell curls and some concentration curls. Also do military presses and shrugs to bring your shoulders up too. No you don't need protein shakes, but if your a hard gainer I would be adding some extra protein and carbs to the diet.

#4 Wrexy

  • Joined:06-June 04
  • Location:Australia NSW
  • Car:Lexus IS250

Posted 11 December 2005 - 09:19 AM

flys
benchpress
bicep curls
and yes work out your triceps too

yeah protien shakes are great.

#5 suburbanoperations

  • Joined:26-July 03
  • Location:Australia VIC
  • Car:VY SV8

Posted 11 December 2005 - 09:20 AM

what are flys?

and hammer curls??

#6 meminto

  • Joined:21-November 02
  • Location:Australia QLD
  • Car:S13 Silvia

Posted 11 December 2005 - 09:31 AM

Hi,
I used to bodybuild a couple of years ago, i used to train at home also, I was going to enter competitions but i ended up working longer hours, got lazy and lost what I had gained dohh.. but here are some suggestions for you that worked for me..

1) I used a low carb hi protein diet to tone and build. You have to be pretty dedicated to it, no alcohol, softdrink, bread, chips, biscuits etc... my diet consisted only of milk, soda water, meat, chicken, fish, vegies, some fruits and protein shakes.

2) I used to weight train 3 nights a week and cardiovascular train 2 nights a week. You need the cardiovascular to tone. You will be very sore after you first few sessions so be wary..

3) You are best off to work all of the areas of your body, if you only do pecs and biceps you will look top heavy after 6-12 months, it looks funny :D

4) If you are just starting use a weight you can do 1 rep of 10 comfortably, then do 3 reps of 10 - buy the last rep you should be starting to fail. Use this technique for all your different excercises.

5) When you start doing 3 reps of 10 comfortably, change to six reps of 10. When you start doing that comfortably increase the weight and go back to 3 reps.

6) Remember to take at least two nights a week off, your body needs to rebuild and rejuvenate. If you don't you will hurt yourself

You should start to notice results in 2-3 months maybe less depending on your own circumstances, but at my peak after 12 months using this method I weighed 103kg (I am 6'2) but with little body fat, I had 23 inch biceps and shoulder to shoulder measure 24 inches....

Hope this helps

#7 Wrexy

  • Joined:06-June 04
  • Location:Australia NSW
  • Car:Lexus IS250

Posted 11 December 2005 - 09:31 AM

flys: Sit down on a flat bench with a dumbbell in each hand. Then lie back, keeping the dumbbells close to your chest. Lift the dumbbells over your chest by extending your arms. Maintain a slight bend in your elbows. Keep your hips and shoulders flat on the bench and your feet on the floor. Lower the dumbbells to the sides of your body in an arc-like motion. At the lowest point, your bent elbows should be on a horizontal plane even with the bench. Slowly bring the weights back up over your chest in an arc. The bend in your elbows should stay the same throughout the exercise.

hammer curls: With a dumbbell in each hand, stand with your arms hanging at your sides, palms facing each other. Keep your elbows locked into your sides. Your upper body and elbows should remain in the same place during the whole lift. Keeping your palms facing each other, curl the weight in your right hand up in a semi-circle toward your right shoulder. Squeeze the biceps hard at the top of the lift and then slowly lower. Do not turn your wrists during this lift! You can also do one arm at a time and/or alternate.

#8 neil_se

  • Joined:24-April 03
  • Location:Australia QLD
  • Car:S14A

Posted 11 December 2005 - 09:57 AM

Don't bother with protein shakes for the first 6 weeks, strength gains in this time period are not due to muscular hypertrophy, but neural adaptation ;)

#9 XEQSHNR

  • Joined:11-November 05

Posted 11 December 2005 - 11:29 AM

hi every1 :)

guys just a simpl question if some had alot of muscles in othr words a ((body builder)) and then he quets dong jym and started to get lasy and fat how long would it take him to lose his muscles would it take weeks, months or years and eventely when he loses his muscles and gets fat and he startd doing jym again would he get his muscles bak quickly or would it tak him loner?

thanx.

#10 neil_se

  • Joined:24-April 03
  • Location:Australia QLD
  • Car:S14A

Posted 11 December 2005 - 12:25 PM

You lose it approx twice as fast as you gain it, so in a matter of months.

#11 Wrexy

  • Joined:06-June 04
  • Location:Australia NSW
  • Car:Lexus IS250

Posted 11 December 2005 - 01:23 PM

^ but it will be easy to get back on track once you start the gym up again.

#12 philmak

  • Joined:23-December 04
  • Location:Australia VIC

Posted 12 December 2005 - 02:18 AM

^^I find getting back into the routine the hardest part :(, I usually have to move down in weights after a long break and i get annoyed that i can't do as much. Just make sure you write up a rountine and stick to it!

#13 IvErSoN_s13

  • Joined:05-November 02

Posted 12 December 2005 - 03:32 AM

Check out the forums at www.wannabebig.com

Design your workout. Use compound movements - with free weights and own bodyweight exercises. Do low rep (5-8) sets and always increase your number of reps performed, or weight lifted each workout. Muscle growth is an adaptive response, so doing the same workload each workout will not stimulate growth. Train 3-4 times a week, giving yourself time to rest. Work each bodypart once or twice a week, allowing 72 hours before retraining the same group. By the way, train your entire body. Studies suggest the body responds more if it is trained as an entire unit. This means training your chest, back, legs, shoulders, bis, tris and abs!

Eat. High protein, increase your intake of carbs and unsaturated fats too. Protein shakes are a convinient source of protein if red and white meat, tuna, milk and egg whites are too hard to prepare every meal. Increase your water intake, and take a good multi vitamin to supplement your diet.

Rest. Eight hours sleep a night minimum. Don't do any intense cardio activities as they are detrimental to muscle growth. Although, if you are on the heavy side, ignore this point.

#14 mr sparkles

  • Joined:26-July 03
  • Location:Australia NSW

Posted 12 December 2005 - 06:10 AM

if your gonna work out, mite as well work out your whole body as if you work on chest and bi's will look unproportioned to the rest of your body.

#15 Wrexy

  • Joined:06-June 04
  • Location:Australia NSW
  • Car:Lexus IS250

Posted 12 December 2005 - 08:13 AM

mr sparkles, on Dec 11 2005, 08:53 PM, said:

if your gonna work out, mite as well work out your whole body as if you work on chest and bi's will look unproportioned to the rest of your body.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL! yeah i hate seeing that...going out or going to the gym and you see someone with massive arms or a massive chest looks stupid.

#16 mr sparkles

  • Joined:26-July 03
  • Location:Australia NSW

Posted 12 December 2005 - 09:33 AM

hehe yea.. the most common one i see, is people with no legs, or small legs compared to the upper body.

n most of the heroes out there who wanna look big just have big bi's n chest.

#17 buoy

  • Joined:15-June 03
  • Location:Australia NSW
  • Car:RAV4

Posted 13 December 2005 - 12:48 AM

yeah the best advice to give you is: make bodybuilding a part of your lifestyle.

that way, when other things take over your busy schedule and you have "no time" for weight training, you'll somehow - by reflex or instinct - end up at a gym somewhere... because its a part of your lifestyle.

and you'll somehow get the meals you need during the day. again, because of the same thing. hope that helps.

#18 sr180

  • Joined:05-January 03
  • Location:Australia ACT
  • Car:Nissan 1996 180sx.

Posted 13 December 2005 - 09:21 AM

buoy, on Dec 13 2005, 01:01 AM, said:

yeah the best advice to give you is: make bodybuilding a part of your lifestyle.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>



Posted Image

#19 Dan.

  • Joined:24-August 04
  • Location:Australia SA

Posted 13 December 2005 - 09:31 AM

meminto, on Dec 11 2005, 10:44 AM, said:

1) I used a low carb hi protein diet to tone and build. You have to be pretty dedicated to it, no alcohol, softdrink, bread, chips, biscuits etc...  my diet consisted only of milk, soda water, meat, chicken, fish, vegies, some fruits and protein shakes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>


not questioning you in anyway....but carbs produce an insulin spike right? and insulin spikes help your body absorb suppliments (protien, etc.). I always have something with carbs when having a meal or a suppliment shake after training so that all those nutrients are absorbed into my body.

my bro once told me, that the 3 hours after training is when you should be having an intake of food, etc. because thats when your body will absorb it the most. and if your sugar levals drop.... its game over, the insulin spike is killed, therefore your body isnt going to absorb protiens, etc. as well.

thats my thoughts anyway...

#20 Dan.

  • Joined:24-August 04
  • Location:Australia SA

Posted 13 December 2005 - 09:34 AM

180GO, on Dec 13 2005, 12:02 AM, said:

Your definetley better of googling than asking on here.  It will take forever to learn over a forum.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>


and everyone thinks they are kingdick too! :P

an AWESOME... and i mean AWESOME site to browse is www.ast-ss.com i could spend days reading everything on that site. my bro who is more dedicated then me learnt LOTS off there.

*cough*citygym.seebrad*cough* :)

#21 HYPR180

  • Joined:10-March 04
  • Location:Australia SA
  • Car:180sx

Posted 13 December 2005 - 09:36 AM

dan_24, on Dec 13 2005, 12:14 AM, said:

meminto, on Dec 11 2005, 10:44 AM, said:


1) I used a low carb hi protein diet to tone and build. You have to be pretty dedicated to it, no alcohol, softdrink, bread, chips, biscuits etc...  my diet consisted only of milk, soda water, meat, chicken, fish, vegies, some fruits and protein shakes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>


not questioning you in anyway....but carbs produce an insulin spike right? and insulin spikes help your body absorb suppliments (protien, etc.). I always have something with carbs when having a meal or a suppliment shake after training so that all those nutrients are absorbed into my body.

my bro once told me, that the 3 hours after training is when you should be having an intake of food, etc. because thats when your body will absorb it the most. and if your sugar levals drop.... its game over, the insulin spike is killed, therefore your body isnt going to absorb protiens, etc. as well.

thats my thoughts anyway...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

wow mr technical lol
shoot some roids i rekon

#22 slz33

  • Joined:03-September 04
  • Location:Australia QLD

Posted 13 December 2005 - 10:47 AM

i also goto www.ast-ss.com and downloaded the free workout prgramme. It works for a while but then gets too repetitive i reckon and you don't end up growing as much.

I've been following ast programme and have been stuck on 85kg benching for the past 2months!!! I don't think i've reached my full capability yet. I'm 68kg but want to bench 3digits :D

If you're serious i recommend getting the biggest buffest most ripped personal trainer in the gym, just get a programme and diet written up for you as they would assess you. Then just work out yourself from then on. you don't need pay someone there goign "one more, one more, you can do it! believe!!! :lol:

i should go buy myself some dbol :lol:

#23 18TZY

  • Joined:07-April 05
  • Car:91 180SX

Posted 13 December 2005 - 12:08 PM

http://www.exrx.net/.../Directory.html

#24 neil_se

  • Joined:24-April 03
  • Location:Australia QLD
  • Car:S14A

Posted 13 December 2005 - 01:31 PM

dan_24, on Dec 13 2005, 10:14 AM, said:

meminto, on Dec 11 2005, 10:44 AM, said:


1) I used a low carb hi protein diet to tone and build. You have to be pretty dedicated to it, no alcohol, softdrink, bread, chips, biscuits etc...  my diet consisted only of milk, soda water, meat, chicken, fish, vegies, some fruits and protein shakes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>


not questioning you in anyway....but carbs produce an insulin spike right? and insulin spikes help your body absorb suppliments (protien, etc.). I always have something with carbs when having a meal or a suppliment shake after training so that all those nutrients are absorbed into my body.

my bro once told me, that the 3 hours after training is when you should be having an intake of food, etc. because thats when your body will absorb it the most. and if your sugar levals drop.... its game over, the insulin spike is killed, therefore your body isnt going to absorb protiens, etc. as well.

thats my thoughts anyway...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>


Insulin acts to increase uptake of glucose from the blood into adipose and muscle cells, not the absorption of protein, glucose, nutrients, etc from the GI system into the blood. Protein absorption from the GI tract isn't dependent on carbs/glucose so having carbs with your meal won't affect protein or nutrient uptake.

#25 Dan.

  • Joined:24-August 04
  • Location:Australia SA

Posted 13 December 2005 - 01:37 PM

ah

#26 buoy

  • Joined:15-June 03
  • Location:Australia NSW
  • Car:RAV4

Posted 13 December 2005 - 02:48 PM

slz33, on Dec 13 2005, 11:30 AM, said:

I've been following ast programme and have been stuck on 85kg benching for the past 2months!!! I don't think i've reached my full capability yet. I'm 68kg but want to bench 3digits :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>


here's one way: don't train for 1 week.... even longer. rest. relax.

then, carb up real high a day before you go back. when you go back, your 1st workout *may* suck, but then your 2nd workout 2 or 3 days later will be MAGIC. there is a logical explanation to it, and i'm sure you can find a very long-winded version on the net somewhere. fwiw its a technique used by lots of pros trying to get through a plateau which is where you're at.

#27 BOV

  • Joined:03-June 05
  • Location:Australia VIC
  • Car:R33 GTS-T 96 II

Posted 13 December 2005 - 02:52 PM

urbanoperations, on Dec 10 2005, 11:46 PM, said:

hey guys

i currently doing weights at home..

i have a 45kg dumbell set and a 10 kg arm weight set..

now i wanna tone up and expand on my bicep muscle and pecs...

can some1 give me some excersises to do so i can tone up and get some bigger pecs and biceps..
and also will i need protein shakes or the like?

any help would be appreciated...

thanks  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lift big, eat big and rest even more! Forget supps for now... do that and you will get big. Also make sure to spread out your food intake throughout the whole day (ie not 3 big meals but 5 smaller ones daily).

#28 slz33

  • Joined:03-September 04
  • Location:Australia QLD

Posted 13 December 2005 - 03:03 PM

buoy, on Dec 13 2005, 03:31 PM, said:

slz33, on Dec 13 2005, 11:30 AM, said:

I've been following ast programme and have been stuck on 85kg benching for the past 2months!!! I don't think i've reached my full capability yet. I'm 68kg but want to bench 3digits :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>


here's one way: don't train for 1 week.... even longer. rest. relax.

then, carb up real high a day before you go back. when you go back, your 1st workout *may* suck, but then your 2nd workout 2 or 3 days later will be MAGIC. there is a logical explanation to it, and i'm sure you can find a very long-winded version on the net somewhere. fwiw its a technique used by lots of pros trying to get through a plateau which is where you're at.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>


Don't worry im going overseas next week so i'll be resting for a full 4weeks.
Should i be doing heaps of push ups and chin ups when im overseas? Or just relax?

#29 buoy

  • Joined:15-June 03
  • Location:Australia NSW
  • Car:RAV4

Posted 13 December 2005 - 03:29 PM

relax. your body is probably used to yoru training which is why it has no reason to grow.

#30 Dan.

  • Joined:24-August 04
  • Location:Australia SA

Posted 13 December 2005 - 04:08 PM

slz33, on Dec 13 2005, 04:16 PM, said:

buoy, on Dec 13 2005, 03:31 PM, said:

slz33, on Dec 13 2005, 11:30 AM, said:

I've been following ast programme and have been stuck on 85kg benching for the past 2months!!! I don't think i've reached my full capability yet. I'm 68kg but want to bench 3digits :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>


here's one way: don't train for 1 week.... even longer. rest. relax.

then, carb up real high a day before you go back. when you go back, your 1st workout *may* suck, but then your 2nd workout 2 or 3 days later will be MAGIC. there is a logical explanation to it, and i'm sure you can find a very long-winded version on the net somewhere. fwiw its a technique used by lots of pros trying to get through a plateau which is where you're at.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>


Don't worry im going overseas next week so i'll be resting for a full 4weeks.
Should i be doing heaps of push ups and chin ups when im overseas? Or just relax?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>


just relax. let your body have a bit of a break. and like buoy said, it gets used to you training it all the time. im not sure on the exact reason so dont quote me on this, but i have heard that you train 6-8 weeks, then have 1 week off, then 6-8 weeks of training again, then another week off, and so on. then your body doesnt get into too much of a routiene.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

    By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

    Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

    Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

    Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!