Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
Anyone in here hit tha weights? - Hardtuned.net - Page 2

Anyone in here hit tha weights? 

61 replies to this topic

#31 shoppingtrolley

• Car:180sx

Posted 01 June 2004 - 01:56 PM

yeah i've been goin to the gym for a bit over a year now... local club had free gym if yer a member :)(though they've put on a $1 per visit fee today but pfft can handle that) can't pull out many stats on what i do... but my last set on the bench is 60kg... don't think thats too bad considerin i'm only about 66kg or somethin. don't do any special diets, although i do eat pretty healthy usually... one day i might try out that protein powder stuff but meh. don't wanna get too buff, swear i've seen some dudes in their couldn't scratch their ass if it was itchy lol.

motivation is mainly that i like feeling healthy and fit, feel like i have more energy being in shape, also  i can get to sleep better after feeling physically tired. i'm also a type of guy that if it looked like i was getting a bit of flab on my stomach i'd freak out and start doing sit ups lol. also got a good mate that comes in thats a bit above me in what he can do so i always have that motivation to try and lift more than him, and it's someone to talk to to break up the monotony. Hot chicks also help, ever noticed that when yer workin out, and a hot chick comes in, you suddenly have heaps of energy and think you can lift anything? lol

#32 buoy

• Car:RAV4

Posted 01 June 2004 - 02:02 PM

hey there's this one guy at my gym who's huge and we never really talk to each other but we sort of compete. A few weeks ago he was away for a while, I think he had a cold. When he came back he was a lot smaller cos he lost the pump, and that was a really big motivator. I was doing lat pulldowns and I couldn't wait to get through the warmups it was so hilarious! The weights were almost flying in the air lol! Also as he was leaving I made sure he saw me curl a 75lb dumbell on the preacher lol....... cos I never saw him curl past 50. Man guys can be so shallow lol!!!!!!  we'll probably eventually talk to each other and have a laugh! I also overheard him talking about RX-7s and turbos so he's prolly a rotor head too lol!

#33 LoCo.

Posted 01 June 2004 - 02:07 PM

All i can say is go the TOTAL GYM!! yea man thats a no joke workout+it make u really cut

#34 Ralph Wiggum

• Car:Peugeot 205 GTI S3

Posted 01 June 2004 - 02:20 PM

Haha, I used to go to the gym, but I'm a distance runner and generally clock up b/w 90-120km's a week and its a battle to maintain weight. Also muscle is heavy and the more muscle I put on, the more muscle my body has to transport at speed so theres not much point in weight-training for me. With that said I generally do 300 pushups a day and a bit of abdominal work, I also ride my bike around 150-250kms some weeks so as I said, I'm pretty lean, probably wont win many fights, but if you can catch me you can have me. With regards to the creatine debate, I hear that many AFL clubs quit using it as the water-retention made players susceptible to soft-tissue injuries. Protein is definitely good, as protein repairs tissue-damage. If I wasnt running I would definitely hit the weights, its a healthy pastime and it definitely raises your awareness of what you put in your body and how you treat it. Plus, chicks dig it!

#35 buoy

Posted 01 June 2004 - 02:47 PM

yes, creatine has also caused muscle cramping in endurance athletes. I too have experienced this while on creatine...

... of course, the only endurance work I do is.... what can I say.... I found the cramping effects of creating while performing operation doggy/spoon.  I just love it when 2 threads cross together like that lol!

#36 gee_S15

Posted 01 June 2004 - 03:29 PM

Creatine is toxic to your kidneys, extended use can impair your kidney's ability to filter and potentially send you into renal failure.

Worked out consistently (4 days/week) for 18mths went from a skinny ass 6'1" dude to a buff skinny ass dude LOL.

workout using the Tom Platts method - variation in what is worked out each day and how much each is worked out - I mainly went for tone, but you can go for crazy bulk on this method if u want - I have the 18-week workout plan detailed as a word document, if u want a look it at feel free 2 PM me and I'll be happy 2 e-mail u a copy!

#37 buoy

Posted 01 June 2004 - 03:43 PM

gee_s15 it can strain the kidneys if you take 10 times the normal dose. otherwise, it is fine. this varies from person to person... some people are sensitive, others aren't.

there is no secret to gaining muscle. it's about as "wierd" and "magical" as getting power from an internal combustion engine. lots of magazines, lots of hype, lots of bullsh*t... but in the end, it's just quite simple, really.

the fitness industry is built around a lot of hype... as with the car industry. you need to see it for what it is. Big guys are big because of steroids. You'll never be that big unless you take steroids.

FACT: You can take steroids and not lift a single weight and become a mass monster with a freaky physique. Don't believe me? Ever eaten KFC? Those battery hens are fed vetinery steroids and they stand in a cage all day. Total exercse = nada. But cook em and fry em... their legs are big bulging and juicy with lots of meat and no fat. ............. and that's not *my* reasoning... it's the way steroids work. they force the body into an anabolic state, retaining nitrogen and force protein synthesis and hypertrophy... some even say hyperplasy as well.

the whole shamoozle of big bodybuilders lifting weights to get big only accounts for a fraction of their size. they could have gotten there without even stepping into a gym.

-----

how did I get off topic? lol...... creatine is ok. it's naturally produced (well you can say that about testosterone too lol!!! but hey...) and its about as hard on the liver as a big meal. KFC is harder on your organs!

#38 neil_se

• Car:S14A

Posted 01 June 2004 - 04:10 PM

I've got a gym membership but i'm a lazy f**ker Nah, i've been meaning to get back into the gym but have a lumbar disc herniation so it restricts the exercise i can do. Plenty of my mates are personal trainers though and i've got a degree in exercise science so i think its time i got off my ass and went.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned HMB as a supplement?

#39 wazzabp

Posted 01 June 2004 - 04:20 PM

I went for about 2 years but this was ended 3 years ago. I work 12 hour shifts so you dont really feel like going after that. I started going and I was using nitro pro 40 as I couldnt gain weight. After 3 months I put on 4 kilos then put on another 3 kilos for the rest of the time I was there.I started at 68 kilos and got to 75 kilos and could bench press 80 kilos 8- 10 times for 3 sets, and got to 160kgs on the leg press(im a chicken legged fella and always will be). Stopped going when mates stopped going,1 mate had the same program as me which made it a bit competitive which really helped.He moved out of town and I went down hill from there. Still reasonably fit but should get into it a bit more at home. wazzabp38139.7117361111

#40 Sparksy

• Car:1995 madza mx6

Posted 01 June 2004 - 08:06 PM

I used to goto the gym a fair bit a while ago, could easily do 3-4 sets of 6-8 reps of 70kg inc bar and had a 92kg 1rep max. That was a while ago and i reckon was aight for a 17 year old weighin 68 kg. just gettin back into the gym and i'm so fkn weak.... almost strugglin with a set of 50kg's...but i'm only goin once a week now and nowhere near as fit as i was since i used to exercise upto 10 times a week but now in yr 12 so i cant do sh*t...2 jobs also make sh*t hard to fit in....
with the steriods sorry buoy i dun reckon ur right, steroids only allow u replenish your stores faster n dat kinda sh*t. U still gotta do the work, but u wont feel it as much and can push harder for a lot longer. i dunno what u were sayin about the chickens n sh*t but mayb they r diff roids, i dunno?!?!?
Suppliments n protein work fair well for cardio aswell i used to b on them and they helped with my gym work but i dunno how good they'd work for just gym, depends on each person and stuff but ye fair enuf about the water 'coz it allows ur muscles to have more stores and therefor work for longer.
sorry about the long post
Sparksy

#41 strung_out

Posted 01 June 2004 - 08:31 PM

nah, ya need nice and skinny arms for quick gear shifts. nothing like a bit of gearstick arm weight reduction thats my excuse

#42 buoy

Posted 01 June 2004 - 08:54 PM

Sparksy said:

with the steriods sorry buoy i dun reckon ur right, steroids only allow u replenish your stores faster n dat kinda sh*t. U still gotta do the work, but u wont feel it as much and can push harder for a lot longer. i dunno what u were sayin about the chickens n sh*t but mayb they r diff roids, i dunno?!?!?

It's the same sh*t. "Anabolic Androgenic Steroids" or AAS. Force the body to produce unnatural amounts of muscle tissue by f**king with the hormonal axis controlled by the testes. Lifting weights makes you stronger by causing a hormonal response to tissue damage. AAS triggers the hormonal response regardless of whether there actually has been any tissue damage at all.

Sort of like how a boost tee makes your car go harder... by tricking the wastegate into holding more boost. The actual boost tee itself doesn't make power, it forces the car to make more power. AAS doesn't make muscle in itself, it tells the body to do that. Also there are problems such as aromatisation, feminising effects et al... needless to say dont screw around with AAS's just to be on the safe side.

#43 DofDof

Posted 01 June 2004 - 09:02 PM

i used to be gym junkie hardcore...go to gym like 5-6 times a week, did this for like a year...this was about 1yr ago now (weight 86kg)...now i back into it as i moved to perth now (use fremantle footy club gym )...i was like 5kgs lighter 4months back...now i 85kg...aiming to hit the 90kg mark.

Last max bench press was 120kg....I love it when i feel the pump  Gotta luv arnie, his movie "pump'n iron"  it rulz...he such a freak and funny

#44 bootlegapparel

Posted 01 June 2004 - 09:06 PM

used to go but not anymore, i want to lose weight
not fat, just too heavy

#45 S13SILI

Posted 01 June 2004 - 09:10 PM

Bouy: Theres no way that is true about taking roids and not having to work out...... I know quite a few ppl that are on roids and do boddy building one who has now stopped and all it has done is make him fat even though he still eats well. Theres no doubt that it makes you put on weight but you have to controll your weight through working out to look the way alot of those ppl do, Anabolic steriods basically just help your muscles repair faster (similar effect to protein) so you can work out harder and with less rest Eg. Every day.

As for creatine that is predominantly used for increasing the duration of the ATP PC system (PC Standing for phosphaus creatine) The Creatine phosphate resynthesises adenosine diphosphate into Adenosine triphosphate which can last up to about 10 sec in a power event (sprinting or weights etc) but is not proven to have any effect (gain) on the boddy so its pretty scepticle.

Just hope this helps out as im a sports nutritionist

#46 CHANGO

Posted 01 June 2004 - 09:17 PM

I go to the gym a bit to lift light weights with high reps but i do all of my physical strength training
from gymnastics which i been doin for 10 years.

I found that you develop a better muscle tone from throwing your own body weight around. I prefer to lift my body weight. When i go to the gym i find it boring because all u do is lift weights over and over again. Its so much more rewarding getting up on rings and doing cross work and swingin giants on high bar and tumbling on floor. U learn some crayzz trix and also u get bigger at the same time...

As for the protein stuff...i rekn if u eat well and have a good diet u can't really go wrong! Steamed Rice is da sh*t.

Chang.

#47 K-man

• Car:R33 GTS-T

Posted 01 June 2004 - 09:19 PM

yeh i try to hit the gym 4 times a week, but recently has been more like 2 with work and all. I've been going for about 1 1/2 years odd i guess.

#48 pitchd

Posted 01 June 2004 - 10:02 PM

5'8 - 56.5kgs...

used to do them when i was kickboxing... 100 pushups 100 situps twice a day... cant remember exactly what i lifted... it wasnt anything hardcore

that was 2 years ago... started doing it all again last week - can comfortably do 20 pushups 20 situps twice a day and atm starting easy (bad wrists) 10kg dumbells... 2 sets of 50 reps each

always been having my bowl of pasta a day - go the carbs!

- adz

boostd38139.9542013889

#49 YOYO

Posted 01 June 2004 - 11:17 PM

I can't do weights for sh!t, used to just pip 50kg on the bench in one go.

Last year I was doing a bit of distance running, 10km @ 5am every other morning. Needless to say I'd sleep in class a lot!!!

Right now, trying to get back into the habit but cbf atm.

#50 buoy

Posted 02 June 2004 - 01:23 AM

S13SILI said:

Bouy: Theres no way that is true about taking roids and not having to work out...... I know quite a few ppl that are on roids and do boddy building one who has now stopped and all it has done is make him fat even though he still eats well.

You know I wrote this huge long essay in response, but I have deleted it because it is an argument that just isn't worth pursuing lol! If you don't believe me that's fine. In all honesty, lifting weights is beneficial... and you can get bigger if you do both (AAS + weights) ... but for the majority of sheer bulk and mass... that is all pure AAS. That is all I'm gunna say.

As for your friend, that is the phenomena known as Big Fat Bastard syndrome... and is due to insulin and adipose tissue aromatase enzyme activity compounding their lipid function. He is probably predisposed to diabetes which can cause this. It has nothing to do with whether he stopped training or not. The only way around this is to elevate both his circulatory insulin and amino acid pool so as to become highly efficient. Lee Priest suffers intensely from BigFatBastard syndrome in the offseason.

S13SILI said:

Anabolic steriods basically just help your muscles repair faster (similar effect to protein) so you can work out harder and with less rest Eg. Every day.

Half way there. Anabolic steroids force (not merely help your muscles) protein synthesis EVEN IF your muscles aren't damaged. The body becomes a 24hr a day non-stop protein-factory. You can sleep for the next 6 weeks and you'll still be bigger and leaner. That's just the way it is.

buoy38140.1577430556

#51 RyanJ

• Car:Black '91 sr20det 180sx

Posted 02 June 2004 - 03:17 AM

buoy said:

yes, creatine has also caused muscle cramping in endurance athletes. I too have experienced this while on creatine...

... of course, the only endurance work I do is.... what can I say.... I found the cramping effects of creating while performing operation doggy/spoon.  I just love it when 2 threads cross together like that lol!

Bwahhahaha! That's when you make your excuse and tag-team a mate hey buoy!

Just kiddin man just kiddin

#52 ARZ180

Posted 02 June 2004 - 04:06 PM

Well here's my figures...

Due to work and study commitments I've been limited in my gym time for the last 18 months but at that time I was doing......

Bench Press 140kg for 4 reps
Squat 180 kg for 6 reps
Shoulder press 90lb DB each hand 6 reps
Incline press 110lb DB each hand 6 reps...

I'm still roughly the same size now but not quite as strong, I'm only squatting about 120-140kg and i don't do bench anymore but i'm incline pressing around 100kg for sets of 6-8...

#53 ARZ180

Posted 02 June 2004 - 07:05 PM

manus said:

creatine is pretty over-rated as far as its use in weight training goes. Its main function is to help you muscles recylcle ADP to ATP which is the actual chemical that breaks apart to release energy for your body. Weight training doesnt rely on this so much,

Dude!!

Glucose is stored in the muscles as muscle glycogen... Muscle glycogen stores are limited, therefore so are your creatine (ATP) stores. Every time a muscle contracts under resistance it is using this ATP, and the finite amount of glycogen available from your diet can only supply so much ATP, that's where creatine will help.

Creatine is not hormonal, therefore strength gains aren't instant. What is available though is a greater amount of ATP, to allow greater number of reps under load, more sets and so on, which will eventuate into strength and size gains.

Creatine is one of the few supplements that is actually proven to work.

Creatine only lasts for 10-30 sec before it is depleted (short term), so a triathlete competing for 2-3 hours would not benefit from it.

Buoy: Like you said you carb up before a workout - carbs = glucose ----- muscle gycogen

Sorry to jump on this post so hard, but in my job there is so much bs and i like helping people see what's real and whats not...

Peace

PS although all the steroid talk here just tells me no-one has a clue what happens when they're taken... Be a good idea to leave them be if you don't understand themARZ18038140.8320833333

#54 180sx luva

Posted 02 June 2004 - 08:45 PM

Yeah i just startd at the gym and its heaps good i can c improvements heaps. I just started taking a weight gain supplement its called Enlarge2 tastes like sheet but its working slowly im having heaps of fun goin to the gym.

#55 buoy

Posted 02 June 2004 - 08:55 PM

The Nutralife stuff aint too bad... I put 2/3rds Oak Chocolate milk and 1/3rd water into an empty powerade bottle and just shake it lol!

As for creatine... I just put some into a glass and pour a teeny bit of powerade over the top... then i just skull it! A few more gulps down the hatch and if I do it right, I can't taste it. I used to *try* and dilute it in cordial... or put it in the protein shake. The taste was just too much. I find this way much easier lol!

#56 Butso

Posted 02 June 2004 - 11:13 PM

i don't think i can maintain a proper diet..

i just wanna be tone not buff ..
a bit bigger is okays but when you guys are talking about 17 inch arms.. holy mother.. !

#57 PULS8N

• Car:N15 Pulsar Plus sedan

Posted 02 June 2004 - 11:19 PM

Hey all,
yeah i hit the gym frequently. and actually i was going to post up the other day that i recently came second in the national u/16 weightlifting competition in april this year.

i use top quality protein powder (100% protein, whereas most are less), and i used to use L-Carnatine as well, which works a charm. It's a natural supplement i think, and it stops your body breaking down muscle for energy, and helps it break down fat for energy, and also helps it break down long-strand fat chains as well.

I guess a lot of you guys didnt know that when you do weights, you actually break down muscle as well as fat for energy? i highly reccomend protein powder to be taken straight after training (within 20 mins), as it is i think 200% more effective in rebuilding muscle during that 20 mins after training.

-S13_FURIOUS

#58 DofDof

Posted 03 June 2004 - 12:37 AM

I keep getting told that skim milk is the best sh1t for protein...only prob....taste

EDIT: i meant skim milk powder

DofDof38141.056712963

#59 buoy

Posted 03 June 2004 - 12:48 AM

s13_furious said:

I guess a lot of you guys didnt know that when you do weights, you actually break down muscle as well as fat for energy?

Well it can... but its pretty hard to do, so it doesn't happen unless you are freaking starving. Your body is lazy. It uses the most readily available energy first, then once that is exhausted, moves on to the next easiest. These are, in order:

1. carbohydrates

2. Alcohol/acetate

3. fat

4. protein

In fact, there is a perfect article that concisely outlines the order of bio-energy in the human body. The link is http://wine.about.co...ly/aa062003.htm

It's basically just saying what I just said, only it goes into colourful language.

#60 Steam

Posted 03 June 2004 - 01:29 AM

ive been weight training for about a year now and use both protein powder and creatine.  18 years of age, 6'3, 83kg. bench 75kg (3 sets, 10 reps).

ARZ180 u definitely know what ur talking about, and those that say creatine doesnt work obviously dont have a clue. btw ARZ, 4 reps of 140kg on bench press is damn impressive!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!