Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
I need tips on training for swimming - Hardtuned.net

I need tips on training for swimming 

17 replies to this topic

#1 xXJackXx

• Car:Silvia S13

Posted 01 April 2005 - 11:09 AM

Well theres a corprate competition at the end of the year 4th december to be exact and the company i work for is putting in 2 teams I've put my name down for the 2nd team to do the swimming leg which is 1.5km ocean swim......only thing is atm i'm damn unfit because i just am and well a bit overweight and i need some tips on what i can do to start training for this swimming leg, I'm reali wanting to do this so yeah any tips from people would be real good.

#2 Queezi

Posted 01 April 2005 - 11:15 AM

get in a pool and swim is the best thing you can do

do shit loads of laps, i used to be in the swimming squad at school and nothing is better than doing laps.
Lots of them too.

#3 sr180

• Car:Nissan 1996 180sx.

Posted 01 April 2005 - 11:30 AM

For a 1.5k open water swim, you need distance distance distance...

a. Get your technique right. With a poor technique you WILL use twice as much energy to do the swim as you need to or should. Hence you WILL be slower.
b. Get some aerobic fitness. Running / Swimming, any aerobic excercise to build up your aerobic system as much as you can.
c. Start hitting laps now.. You want to be comfortably swimming at least 2-3 km in the pool easily, so that you have hold 1.5km with some effort.

#4 elfenstar

Posted 01 April 2005 - 02:01 PM

The earlier posts are right. Start with 3 sets of 20laps a day with a 15 minute break between each. then start increasing it by 5 laps a week till you hit 30 laps. After that try and adjust it to 2 sets of of 35 and then 1 set of 50. This should set you up for swimming that distance safely.

#5 sr180

Posted 01 April 2005 - 02:41 PM

elfenstar, on Apr 1 2005, 02:14 PM, said:

The earlier posts are right. Start with 3 sets of 20laps a day with a 15 minute break between each. then start increasing it by 5 laps a week till you hit 30 laps. After that try and adjust it to 2 sets of of 35 and then 1 set of 50. This should set you up for swimming that distance safely.
15 minutes break between each set is way too much. Cut it down to 5 at most.

I wuold even suggest breaking it down to sets of 400 meters. ie 5x400m with 90 second rest inbetween each. For aerobic fitness its important to push the distance, going easy and little rest inbetween...

#6 xXJackXx

Posted 01 April 2005 - 02:54 PM

thnx for the tips guys, I think getting into shape for this is gonna add to my life a fair bit. This is what the race is Lorne Corporate Teams Adventure Race so yeah should be good and its another great incentive for myself to get fit :D

#7 Lozzle

• Car:'97 MItsu HSG RVR

Posted 01 April 2005 - 03:07 PM

I used to train so much through primary school and high school and was in the states before I quit which was pretty cool....

Anyhoo, 15mins is far too long to wait between sets... Elfenstar - did you mean 25m or 50m? I'd advise 50...

With swimming 1.5k in open water, as previously mentioned, you're gonna need to build up stamina and strength so push yourself, not too hard at first as you have plenty of time to set yourself up.

Stick to working on distance swimming, as opposed to fast (sprints) and getting into a set rhythm, as well as correct stroke technique. From there increase distances and as it gets easier, you'll be able to push yourself faster.

Try a bit of the polo style freestly too, with head above water coz this is a little harder and it'll help for your big swim when you want to have a look about.

Nothing wrong with a bit of a cardio workout to build your stamina and help with breathing too.

-Lozzle

#8 Queezi

Posted 01 April 2005 - 03:19 PM

mix it up a bit, do some some 400m sets, as mentioned maybe 4 or 5 with as little break as possible
at swimming squad we used to do it with 30 second breaks at most, obviously straight away u probably wont be doing that, but no more than 90 seconds really otherwise u will lose the rhythym(spelling??)

try and do some 800 m sets too, they will give you a good idea as to what 1.5km will be like.

also someone mentioned to do it in a 50 metre pool not a 25. I agree it will probably make a big difference, cos in a 25 metre pool you tend to sprint a bit too much because the wall is so close, plus a tumble turn at 25 metres will break the rhythym also
breath every three strokes, dont do that every second stroke shit, cos it will tire you out.

#9 Queezi

Posted 01 April 2005 - 03:21 PM

nothing is better for cardio and breathing than swimming anyway so you may as well spend most of ur time in the pool anyway

best cure for asthma is swimming (gives relief anyway)

#10 STR8E180

• Car:GTR R34 V-SPEC

Posted 01 April 2005 - 05:46 PM

dam i dont even know how to swim
would give u tips if i knew any
how sad is that 21 and still cant swim

#11 xXJackXx

Posted 01 April 2005 - 06:10 PM

thats ok i'm 21 and don't have much of an idea of how to drive a manual car but i'm sure if we both had to we could do it lol

#12 STR8E180

• Car:GTR R34 V-SPEC

Posted 01 April 2005 - 07:15 PM

i couldnt swim to save my own life
ill be screaming "SAVE ME"SAVE me"SAVE ME"SAVE ME"

#13 GHOSTY

• Car:'02 S15

Posted 03 September 2006 - 05:25 AM

roids? :ph34r: :lol:

#14 Confusion

• Car:97 180SX Type-X

Posted 03 September 2006 - 09:52 AM

View PostSTR8E180, on Mar 31 2005, 10:58 PM, said:

i couldnt swim to save my own life
ill be screaming "SAVE ME"SAVE me"SAVE ME"SAVE ME"

So you are the person that keeps SR180 in a job

thats pretty slack you cant swim dude, what happens if your life depends on it? Even if you never have to wouldn't you like to think you could stop yourself from dying by doing such a simple thing as kicking your legs and splashing your arms about?

Thats not meant to be an attack against you eaither bro, i would just hate to think that one day you died because of not knowing how to swim or even keep yourself bouyant in water.

#15 mr sparkles

Posted 03 September 2006 - 10:23 AM

aerobic exercise, 5 km bike rides, 5 km run, an aerobics class with distance swimming, mayhbe even 5km sessions, if thats too much make 3km sessions.

why?
ur swimming in da ocean, so you will be putting alot more effort. against current, with current etc..

while doing ur laps, every now and then do a quicker lap then the previous, because wen ur in da ocean, every stroke u take will be against different water condtions.

#16 sr180

Posted 04 September 2006 - 10:57 AM

View Postmr sparkles, on Sep 3 2006, 10:36 AM, said:

aerobic exercise, 5 km bike rides, 5 km run, an aerobics class with distance swimming, mayhbe even 5km sessions, if thats too much make 3km sessions.

why?
ur swimming in da ocean, so you will be putting alot more effort. against current, with current etc..

while doing ur laps, every now and then do a quicker lap then the previous, because wen ur in da ocean, every stroke u take will be against different water condtions.

Not necessarily.. The important part about open water swimming is timing. Your stroke needs to be good to be able to cope with different water coniditions and currents and waves forcing your stroke around. If your timing and stroke is off, you may as well be swimming up hill..

Get some lessons or adult classes to just touch up your stroke, and then hit the laps in the pool hard.

#17 hazard121

Posted 04 September 2006 - 05:53 PM

Swimming training is amazing. I used to 'see' a swimmer and she'd swim 3k in the morning and 6 at night..every day. Some might say the wide shoulders are gross on swimming chicks but i like them..

Few of my male mates are swimmers too. Probly one of the best platforms to start training hard for weights.

xx_jack_xx i could call a few swimmers i know (some are winning national comps) and ask them for some training tips if your interested?

#18 mr sparkles

Posted 04 September 2006 - 06:25 PM

your not wrong there
i dont need to work out my shoudlers as i use to swim :D

swimmers have mad bodies.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!