Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
When is it time to sell up cos you're too old? - Hardtuned.net - Page 2

- - - - -

When is it time to sell up cos you're too old? 

132 replies to this topic

#31 greens14

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:44 PM

My dad has a friend who is a lawyer and he would be 60od and he has had his S15 since new. He loves it. It is still completely std apart from some rims. Other than that it is 100% stock.

#32 s13k's

• Car:180SX Type X

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:10 PM

I was actually thinking about this a few weeks ago.

I don't know if that's me but I really want to keep my S13 for years to come.

I cant imagine selling it and even if I do its an S13 so its not like Ill get a deposit for a home or something out of it.

Its sentimental value is far more valuable than any price I could sell for.

But thats how I see it, and even if I wanted another car I wouldnt sell the S13.

ps. As for what age is too old, I guess these days you would look silly if your in your 40's driving a S-chassis but then again, back in the 70's people in their 20's had Mustangs, Camaros, Austin Healeys and what not but nowadays if you see an older guy driving one you think nothing of it.

Edited by s13q's, 01 April 2013 - 04:13 PM.

#33 Wrexy

• Car:Lexus IS250

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:40 PM

wow I didnt expect some of these responses.

Isnt anyone here sick of shit about worrying if your going to get booked everytime you leave the house in a turbo car?

#34 chris_c30

• Car:s14a 200sx

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:45 PM

For this reason I drive my s14 slower then my old pulsar was in front of a under cover today and didn't get any attention I think its how you drive

#35 JLTS13

does this rag smell like chloroform to you???

• Platinum Member
  • Classifieds Items
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts
  • Car:R33 4 DOOR

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:52 PM

I'm 30 as well and I went through the same thing, thinking I should grow up, but decided this is my life and what I love and nothing will change it.

I have a wife, a 14month old son, a mortgage and a full time job and I will always have some form of import/drift car, I go stir crazy without a form of hobby to keep me going.

I'm also surprised there are a lot of people here around the same age :lol:

I don't really worry about defects anymore, maybe I drive a little better these days or maybe because I have other cars to drive.

Also it must be where some people live(or driving style lol) but I've never had a defect or even been pulled over driving any of my imports and I've been driving them since I was 18.

Edited by JLTS13, 01 April 2013 - 04:58 PM.

#36 TN

• Car:S15, S14A

Posted 01 April 2013 - 04:53 PM

i'm 30 (almost). my s15 is the what makes me go to work every day. love jumping into that thing. if wasn't for it, there be many days of sickies.

#37 nisskid

• Car:R32 4dr, C33 & A31

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:23 PM

if you think you can be too old for a car, you're probably owning the car for the wrong reason in the first place, and you should probably sell it for that reason alone.

#38 AnDyStYLe

• Car:RPS13

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:29 PM

^ What kind of logic is that?

I've had the car since I was 22, so have had it for a good 8 years.

You're telling me I bought the car for the wrong reason in the first place?

Didn't know you knew me better then myself? :huh:

Thought the theory of growing out of things was more logical, but nonetheless...

Cheers,

Andy

#39 greens14

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:37 PM

I love having my S14 looking the way I like it. I was also sick of worrying every time I left the house. About 2 years ago I went a bought a cheap run about for $600 just to get me to work and back. The money I save on maintenance, oil changes, tyre wear etc pays for the rego each year for the second car. Now can have my Silvia and work on it heaps without the worry of having to have it all back together to get to work etc.
She only gets driven on weekends, and the occasional midweek cruise. I get so much more enjoyment out of it now.
Plus I can have it looking how I want it and worry less as i choose the places I drive it.
If I ever sell this car it will be to buy another 1600.
You are never too old to have a hobby!!

Edited by greens14, 01 April 2013 - 05:59 PM.

#40 nisskid

• Car:R32 4dr, C33 & A31

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:51 PM

View PostAnDyStYLe, on 01 April 2013 - 05:29 PM, said:

^ What kind of logic is that?

I've had the car since I was 22, so have had it for a good 8 years.

You're telling me I bought the car for the wrong reason in the first place?

Didn't know you knew me better then myself? Posted Image

Thought the theory of growing out of things was more logical, but nonetheless...

Cheers,

Andy
car enthusiasm isn't about an outside projection of yourself, it's about enjoying a car you love. you're asking at what age should you stop loving the car you drive? or are you asking what age is too old to be seen driving what is considered a young person's car?

#41 chris_c30

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:54 PM

he has a little bit of a point, what i think hes trying to say is if your that worried about what people think its probably a good idea to sell it, if your not worried and you love the car and love driving it keep it and drive it

#42 R32GTRS

• Car:RB25 R32gtst

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:18 PM

the only thing ive taken from this thread is you want to sell your nissan for a VW Jetta..... :wtf:
you dont just sell a car because its no longer practical or think you're too old.. we spend 10's of thousands on these cars because its who we are, who gives a f**k what anyone else is driving or spending their money on.

Edited by R32GTRS, 01 April 2013 - 06:20 PM.

#43 AnDyStYLe

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:20 PM

Yeah kind of both nisskid...

Had a couple of young blokes (teenagers at best) walk past my car and complement it and asking how much it's pushing etc. Gotta be honest, I used to love that and talk with the guys for a while about cars, but now I feel a bit awkward about it. Pretty much just said its stock and away I went.

Don't know, maybe it's cos it just in the back of my head that I'm thinking I'm too old driving this car and it should be left to the younger guys and girls.

I know many have track cars and trailers which is something I'd love to do, but current circumstances makes it a bit hard for me to go that direction. Lack of time and commitments play a big part of that too.

Don't get me wrong I absolutely love my car. As I mentioned I've poured lots of blood sweat and tears into this thing, so I've never had the heart to let it go.

Fact is you get lots of unwanted attention in this thing and at my age I can't help to weigh up whether its worth the trouble or not.

But after hearing much of the input from people here around the same age it's given me a whole other light on the matter.

If I can keep the thing and even park it away in the garage and make a comeback later in life then that'll be a win win for me.

Thanks for the input all.

Cheers,

Andy

#44 R32GTRS

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:23 PM

put it in the backyard under cover. if you own the car, what does it matter how long it sits.

#45 AnDyStYLe

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:26 PM

P.s Wish I had a misses that was as understanding as the rest of you :lol:

I keep getting "grow up, your cars a peice of shit and a waste of space and money".

Warning, any derogatory comments about my misses I'll have no choice to bring out the ban stick, sorry guys :lol:

Cheers,

Andy

#46 Flying180

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:28 PM

View PostAnDyStYLe, on 01 April 2013 - 06:26 PM, said:

P.s Wish I had a misses that was as understanding as the rest of you Posted Image

I keep getting "grow up, your cars a peice of shit and a waste of space and money".

Warning, any derogatory comments about my misses I'll have no choice to bring out the ban stick, sorry guys Posted Image

Cheers,

Andy

+1

:lol:

Space is money. Cars take up a lot of space.

#47 MeRlz

• Car:180sx Type X

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:28 PM

View Postnisskid, on 01 April 2013 - 05:23 PM, said:

if you think you can be too old for a car, you're probably owning the car for the wrong reason in the first place, and you should probably sell it for that reason alone.

I half agree with you with this argument. What your probably saying is if you're thinking about selling it due to age then your heart isn't truly with cars. Which i think is sort of right because i agree. But i disagree because i've loved cars all my life (as im sure most of us do) and when my car was blown and sat in the garage collecting dust for over a year i was really over it and thought im too old for this shit i need to move on bla bla bla. But i thought im just going to end up doing the same thing later on in my life anyways because i love it so much, so what is the point in quitting now.

Keep in mind i am only 24 but (not as old as some of you i know lol). But the thing is i thought i can always put the car on hold and move it aside for other things in my life. My misses always says i should put it aside and save for more important things. But i will when im ready in good time.

#48 chris_c30

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:30 PM

my mates missus is a bit like that and so is my mum who gave me shit everytime i had my car in the garage just after i bought it, but i was lucky enough to find a girlfriend whos first car was a turbo chaser so she understands, if i had a gf who made me choose between my car and her id choose the car

#49 R32GTRS

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:32 PM

maybe I have more space then other people not sure :lol:

#50 Flying180

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:33 PM

View Postchris_c30, on 01 April 2013 - 06:30 PM, said:

my mates missus is a bit like that and so is my mum who gave me shit everytime i had my car in the garage just after i bought it, but i was lucky enough to find a girlfriend whos first car was a turbo chaser so she understands, if i had a gf who made me choose between my car and her id choose the car

priorities change when you start having a family.

My missus would never make me choose, but that doesn't mean she likes it.

#51 Scotties15

• Car:S15 200sx

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:15 PM

I prettymuch agre with ya all, you gotto do something to keep your hoby entertained. my 15 has been with us for 9 yehars now, and was our wedding car. so she is my toy and the mrs wont let me get rid of her ;) the amount of money you put into your hobies, you might as well keep one you like ;),... mine will be the project until im happy with her. I own it so no point getting rid of her, only owes me a couple grand a year that's about it for a bit of fun ;)

Edited by n0nac-S15, 01 April 2013 - 07:17 PM.

#52 blingcommander

• Car:Scooty-Puff Jr.

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:28 PM

go buy another 180 and see what she says. if my missus was like that she would get the boot.

#53 CroS13

• Car:S15 GT Spec S

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:46 PM

at times i think the same thing, im 27, and have had my S15 for 5 years now, before that i had S13's since i was driving.

My wife knows if i sold my car, she would never hear the end of it, of me complaining and moping, she knows we would be driving, pull up next to a Silvia and id get all depressed about not having one. She is always telling me how everyone knows me by my car. She would never make me sell it, and is the one that talks me out of it.

The way i see it is she has the 4 door "family" swift for the future kids we may have, and heck, the S15 has points for a baby harness, so what the hell, if it means breaking my back getting the youngsters out of the back seat then so be it.

Personally i get a smile every time i drive the thing, its what keeps me going to work everyday, and i don't care what anyone else thinks of me.

#54 Cheddar

• Car:Series 2 Stagea

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:52 PM

View PostAnDyStYLe, on 01 April 2013 - 06:20 PM, said:

Had a couple of young blokes (teenagers at best) walk past my car and complement it and asking how much it's pushing etc. Gotta be honest, I used to love that and talk with the guys for a while about cars, but now I feel a bit awkward about it. Pretty much just said its stock and away I went.

Don't know, maybe it's cos it just in the back of my head that I'm thinking I'm too old driving this car and it should be left to the younger guys and girls.

Whenever this happens to me I get a kick out of the fact that someone thinks me car is cool! I've never actually thought that people might be thinking I'm too old for it (I'm over 30).

My husband has a TRD JZX100 I'm constantly telling him to get himself an s13 or 180 etc as a track car because I know he loves it (not all of us are against having a project car in the shed :) )

I can't see a reason why either of us would sell our cars no matter how old we get. We met through our common interest in them and it's what we love!

Keep it in the shed for weekends and track days. Then you have your responsible daily car and your fun car for the weekends :)

#55 chris_c30

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:10 PM

screw having a slow and boring daily unless your getting something else for praticality reasons like ute or a 4wd i personally prefer the motorbike as a daily spend bugger all on rego and fuel

#56 negativecamber

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:10 PM

When you get older your priorities may change but not your
passion. I think the answer is to have a track only car so you dont have to worry about defects ever again. I know my work ute is worth more than my s13 and i'm more happy when buying something for work or my wife. I still like having a project car in the garage, dont get me wrong, but at 30+ we care more about overseas trips, buying vaccuum cleaners, renovating rooms and paying exciting bills.
Dont sell your import,you wont get anywhere near what youve put into it.

Edited by negativecamber, 01 April 2013 - 08:12 PM.

#57 maiky-s15R

• Car:99 s15 SPEC R

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:18 PM

I'm 28-29 this year and can guarantee you will never get out of playing with cars ....especially now since all the new cars are sooo electronic and not at all a drivers car ....will prob keeps s15 untill I Cark it ...ill blow it up before I sell

#58 A31Cefiro

Because I'm suave its ok for me to act like a prick

• Classifieds Items
  • 7,863 posts
  • Car:A31 Cefiro

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:29 PM

View PostAnDyStYLe, on 01 April 2013 - 06:26 PM, said:

P.s Wish I had a misses that was as understanding as the rest of you :lol:

Warning, any derogatory comments about my misses I'll have no choice to bring out the ban stick, sorry guys :lol:

Cheers,

Andy

Chicks come and go, playing with cars in one way or another is for life.

Get a new missus. One that isn't supportive or at least understanding isn't worth keeping. Was the car an issue when she met you? If not, have a look at who has changed. You still have the car, so you haven't changed......

#59 6330

• Car:S15

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:38 PM

I just turned 35 and when I drive my 180 to my local skatepark and rip out my bmx and my skateboard I usually get

"f**k how old are you and you still ride a skateboard and a bmx?"

I'm married with two girls aged 4 and 6, they think i'm peter pan or some shit and that's cool with me.

When you worry about what other people think about your passions it's game over.

#60 TN

• Car:S15, S14A

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:42 PM

View Post6330, on 01 April 2013 - 08:38 PM, said:

I just turned 35 and when I drive my 180 to my local skatepark and rip out my bmx and my skateboard I usually get

"f**k how old are you and you still ride a skateboard and a bmx?"

I'm married with two girls aged 4 and 6, they think i'm peter pan or some shit and that's cool with me.

When you worry about what other people think about your passions it's game over.

You sir, sound like an awesome dad

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!