Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
shit apprentices say/do - Hardtuned.net - Page 3

- - - - -

shit apprentices say/do 

152 replies to this topic

#61 Honeypot

• Car:180sx

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:33 PM

View Postbattery, on 06 April 2013 - 08:33 AM, said:

View Post-Truck-, on 06 April 2013 - 08:00 AM, said:

View Postbattery, on 05 April 2013 - 05:43 PM, said:

Done the long wait one plenty of times!

Worked with a fully qualified electrician that put on insulated rubber gloves when disconnecting his car battery, the gloves are made for live 240v work. I went over and grabbed both terminals at the same time with my bare hands infront of him hahaha

Funny when you pass the first years a ratchet on their second day and say undo that bolt and they look at you like how the f**k do i do that with this thing lol
Short circuit the battery with something conductive the fault current can be enough to cook you, there's a few hundred amps there. Dispite the average joe that believes you can't die from DC electricity.

How exactly can a 12v battery "cook you"?

DC is way more dangerous than AC, had apprentice dead short a 240V battery bank! lucky the 4mm wire he was holding disintergrated instanly, got a bad burn on his had though.

Hand to hand resistance is around 1000ohms in a person, give or take, get a multimeter and test yourself. At 12VDC thats 12mA of current through you, you'll be lucky to feel that unless your hands are wet, 24v tingles which probably isnt good but i think you need to get up around 50mA before your really "being electrocuted" and at such a low voltage i dont think its pheasable.

Best thing to watch is apprentices 1/2" spanners welded and glowing red between two battery posts :D Everyones got an arced out 1/2 hidden away somewhere.

Edited by Honeypot, 07 April 2013 - 08:34 PM.

#62 Lucas.

• Car:Toyota 4 runner

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:19 PM

Truck . What have you started :lol:

#63 chris_c30

• Car:s14a 200sx

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:22 PM

Drop the battery talk unless its something like I saw an apprentice trying to get a terminal on with a hammer and he put a hole in the battery because that happened and that's funny

Edited by chris_c30, 07 April 2013 - 09:23 PM.

#64 battery

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:32 PM

View Postchris_c30, on 07 April 2013 - 09:22 PM, said:

Drop the battery talk unless its something like I saw an apprentice trying to get a terminal on with a hammer and he put a hole in the battery because that happened and that's funny

lololol

We get these 20L paint drums that have a bung at the bottom so you can screw a tap in, one of the apprentices came and asked me how to remove the bung without all the paint coming out!

Knew a 4th year apprentice mechanic who took his car to another mechanic to do the timing belt cause he couldn't do it.

#65 chris_c30

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:45 PM

When we were at trade school as diesel mechanics one of the guys dropped his car off in the morning to the mechanic to get a service done

#66 chris_c30

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:48 PM

Oh and a newly qualified we just got at our work was looking at my sss pulsar when I had it and asked me if I had turbod it after a good ten minutes under the bonnet

#67 Bloke

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:02 PM

View PostHoneypot, on 07 April 2013 - 08:33 PM, said:

Best thing to watch is apprentices 1/2" spanners welded and glowing red between two battery posts :D Everyones got an arced out 1/2 hidden away somewhere.

Yeah, my 10mm ROE and my 1/4dr ratchet have some arc marks on them thanks to a few aprentices :lol: It's hard to be shitty at them, with the way they react to all the sparks.

Only really worked with two seriously retarded apprentices. Some were deadshits, that didn't make it past the 3 month probation, but most of the others turned out to be good lads, who moved out of the automotive industry, to earn the big bucks.

One of the retards was a serious mouthbreather. He'd question every instruction, and make you pretty much hold his hand to do anything. He'd also follow you around, like right behind you really closely. So close, that if you spun around 180 degrees, you'd probably touch noses. Massive shit-talker. Thought he was an awesome driver, because his old man built (paid to be built) him an XU-1 Torana race car to punt on weekends. Two weeks after he got his license, he wrote off his AU XR6 ute. Daddy bought him another one, which only lasted a couple of months, before being written off as well. He got the sack 6 months into his first year. The boss couldn't stand him. The heated argument between the boss, the group trainer, and the dad was pretty funny.

The other one, was there at this small private shop, before I was hired, and for some reason was running the whole show, even though I was hired as workshop manager. Not much to manage when the first year apprentice, 2 months in the game, was running the place. As soon as the boss, the guy that owned the place, went back into the office, or went off site, he'd be straight out the back having a smoke, on the phone, stuffing his face full of food. I'd go out there and crack the shits, but the boss would defend him, and say he was entitled to a break. I couldn't work efficiently when he was around, as I was constantly fixing his f**kups before the boss or customers found out, and when he, or they did, it was my fault, etc. Also a huge shit talker. Would also insist that hardstyle be blasted through the shop stereo at all times. Most retarded thing he ever did was stand there one day, staring at the stereo, bobbing his head to the beat. I yelled "Oi get back to work!", to which he replied "Shut the f**k up! Da beat's about to drop!". Next thing, he looks like he's having this massive seizure, all over the workshop. He's lucky he wasn't actually having a seizure that day, because I would've just left the khunt there. I was planning to make the stereo mysteriously stop working, but I bailed after 4 months. The f**khead boss still owes me two days pay, and 4 months of super.

#68 GHOSTY

• Car:'02 S15

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:03 PM

From ~60v upwards, you're gonna have a bad time (death be happening)

#69 -Truck-

• Car:VIP Y31 Cima

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:59 AM

View PostBangaladesh, on 07 April 2013 - 06:55 PM, said:

f**k sake what a way to ruin a thread.
And for the record, there is no way people die from car battery's. Sounds like some f**king story a 15yr old apprentice says.
To show an example, the average person have approx 1000 ohms of resistance from hand to hand or hand to feet.
So I=V/R I=12/1000 = 0.012A takes 0.03A to kill a person.
And that takes no consideration for voltage drop or other losses.

So in summary, if you think people die from car battery's. You're a dumb kent.
If you could read and comprehend English, you would understand what I said not 2 comments above acctually supports the basic calculation you did. There are some people out there who would record low enough hand to hand/hand to foot resistance to expeience a lethal amount of current.

There's no point arguing anymore. Everyone suddenly seems to have become experts in the field by the power of google...

#70 s13k's

• Car:180SX Type X

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:22 AM

I had to do some work experience back in high school and for some reason I was put with 1st/2nd year apprentices doing regular services at a Toyota dealer.

The main thing I did was soon as the car came in I made sure the tyre pressures were okay and cleaned the air con and air filters.

Damn apprentices used to mess with me so much, they asked me 3 times if I filled up the tyres up to 35 psi and when I said yes they used to say "should I check them?"

When they did they weren't all exactly 35. They ranged from 35-37ish but they were always like "re-do them all, they arent 35". Worst week of my life.

Coming from the same guys who skipped hand brake adjustments and brake bleeds lol.

#71 Chappy

• Car:2009 V36 370GT Sedan

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:53 AM

View Post-Truck-, on 08 April 2013 - 08:59 AM, said:

And for the record, there is no way people die from car battery's. Sounds like some f**king story a 15yr old apprentice says.
To show an example, the average person have approx 1000 ohms of resistance from hand to hand or hand to feet.

If you could read and comprehend English, you would understand what I said not 2 comments above acctually supports the basic calculation you did. There are some people out there who would record low enough hand to hand/hand to foot resistance to expeience a lethal amount of current.

There's no point arguing anymore. Everyone suddenly seems to have become experts in the field by the power of google...

I challenge you to find one, just one example of a grown man dying from electrocution by touching a conductive hand tool between 2 points in a cars 12v electrical system.

We are not talking about stupidly exotic circumstances of a child inserting an electrode into their ass or an electrified probe being inserted into an open wound. Just find one real world example of a typical mechanics scenario that might justify somebody wearing insulated gloves when working on a cars electrical system (remember? the comment that started it all).

Most of us don't need google to know that your little hearsay story is just absurd.
It doesn't matter how many amps there are, or how sweaty the person is, even with both hands involved 12v simply lacks the pressure needed to overcome the resistance of travelling up one arm, through the chest then down the other.
If your theory had even the slightest amount of truth to it, there would me much more than some flimsy plastic caps on the terminals of a car battery. Instead we would see a bright yellow locked cap with the words "DANGER ELECTROCUTION HAZARD" with a picture of a little man frying to death. The cap would require a special key to remove and it would be an OH&S requirement that the key be kept in a locked cupboard at all times.
You also would not see batteries displayed on a low shelf out the front of servos and in mechanics and tyre shops, they too would be locked behind a widow with the a bright "DANGER HAZARD!!!!" sign on it.

There are idiot backyard mechanics working on their cars every weekend with sweaty hands and metal tools. The moment just one of them is killed by this ever present danger it would be all over the news. Almost overnight my above description of car batteries would happen through campaigns for legislation by the MACB foundation (Mothers Against Car Batteries), 'shocking' expose articles by ACA and street protests by people holding portrait pictures of the rednecks who offed themselves.

#72 Bloke

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:27 AM

Take the electricity talk to the electricity thread.

#73 chris_c30

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:26 PM

Every apprentice has mates who have done or seen highly unlikely things and have no proof of it drop it your breaking my thread

#74 Rhysee

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:14 PM

This thread is worse than the comments section of a youtube video.

#75 Pointless dribbler

• Car:94 180sx

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:33 PM

When doing a service on vehicles I used to ask new apprentices to change the air in the tyres. Got a couple of them.

#76 BEV5TA

• Car:Silvia S13

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:36 PM

View Postchris_c30, on 08 April 2013 - 12:26 PM, said:

Every apprentice has mates who have done or seen highly unlikely things and have no proof of it drop it your breaking my thread

lol

#77 chris_c30

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:41 PM

View PostPointless dribbler, on 08 April 2013 - 03:33 PM, said:

When doing a service on vehicles I used to ask new apprentices to change the air in the tyres. Got a couple of them.
haha i like this one i might use it on the skid steers and loaders :)

#78 skedy

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:53 PM

i have two decent stories

2nd year apprentice was showing me when i was first year how too change tyres on rims.
the bead wouldnt pop so he got the big rubber mallet out

smacked it as hard as he could, the mallet bounced back hit him in the head and nearly knocked him out ahha

a different apprentice 2nd or 3rd year was checking diff oil with his pinky and somehow got it stuck. we left him there under the hoist with his arm in the air for a good half hour lol

#79 sssturbo

• Car:S14 200sx

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:49 PM

ha ha we had an apprentice in a similar situation, got his hand stuck under an intake manifold, i walked away as he was asking for help, when i returned he thought i was going to help, nope had my camera taking a pic of him ha ha

#80 Bangaladesh

• Car:Silvia

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:55 PM

View Post-Truck-, on 08 April 2013 - 08:59 AM, said:

When did I direct my comment to you buddy?
Yeah never. I was commenting on the general direction the thread was going.
And yeah I actually am an expert in the field. I work for Schneider electric, which as you may know designs and manufactures protective devices amongst other things.

#81 Barbie princess

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:42 PM

had one kid who would come to the panel shop one day a week for school. we had this bog dispenser on the wall with airline going into it so it would feed the bog out when you pulled the lever down. anyway one day he was asked to go get some bog. next you thing you know people are yelling and screaming because bog is going all over the ground, poor kid reckons he didn't know how to turn it off!

and one i like to use when someone asks to borrow a tool or something, i say "now that's a boomerang".

Edited by Barbie princess, 08 April 2013 - 08:45 PM.

#82 Honeypot

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:46 PM

View Postchris_c30, on 07 April 2013 - 09:22 PM, said:

I've always wanted to see this happen!

Best i've got is a 16yr old, the head mechanics step-son.
Couldnt read an analouge clock and also took the nuts off some chrome plastic wheel cover with a 1/2" gun.
In his credit it was the right sized socket...
I left in 2 months, and reported them to DWER and the EPA, pretty sure they didnt do anything, or couldnt prove it.
They were really sketchy, sure of some sort of tax fraud / loophole, did mostly internal work on auction buys for resale.
Bigest wolf in sheeps clothing operation, they had brake fluid thrown on paint and brake hoses cut on cars for sale on several occasions. I got a visit from the police about a month after I left, just questioning former employees apparently, instills so much faith! Also, they were dumping ac gas to atmosphe (manager pulled ac lines off a system when all it needed was a compressor clutch), no recovery system, had a leaking cleaning fluid from part washer outside into a creek about 4m away and were just generally dodgy salesmen types.
Sketchy indeed.

#83 pyro

• Car:JZX100

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:58 AM

View PostRhysee, on 08 April 2013 - 03:14 PM, said:

This thread is worse than the comments section of a youtube video.
steady on. we haven't descended into nazi'ism or the new world order yet :lol: in this thread :lol:

#84 CroS13

• Car:S15 GT Spec S

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:10 AM

View Postskedy, on 08 April 2013 - 05:53 PM, said:

a different apprentice 2nd or 3rd year was checking diff oil with his pinky and somehow got it stuck. we left him there under the hoist with his arm in the air for a good half hour lol

general rule of thumb i was taught as a first year many many moons ago, don't stick your finger anywhere you wouldn't stick your c0ck.... works for me......

#85 s14tom

• Car:S14

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:39 AM

When i asked an apprentice to remove a panel that was held on by phillips head screws.

"So you want me to undo the screwdriver head bolts?"

#86 moggys13

• Car:1996 180sx det

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:44 AM

we service petrol compressors and generators. apprentice asked me where to drain the condensate out of a generator, laughs were had after i told him to find the drain hole on the bottom, he spent about 45 mins looking for it

#87 Rolled Cambers

• Car:Nissan Silvia s13.

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:05 PM

Bahahaha
How about workshop fights? Any fights happening anywhere?

#88 ONE_VIA_S13

• Car:350Z

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:31 PM

View PostRolled Cambers, on 09 April 2013 - 05:05 PM, said:

Bahahaha
How about workshop fights? Any fights happening anywhere?

when I worked @ Ford I manhandled one of the mechanics and chucked him in the back of a police falcon and turned on the lights and sirens :lol:

#89 chris_c30

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:57 PM

Trade got shity at a smart arse apprentice threw a hammer at his head and he ducked and it put a dent in a loader

#90 Rolled Cambers

• Car:Nissan Silvia s13.

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:02 PM

View PostONE_VIA_S13, on 09 April 2013 - 05:31 PM, said:

View PostRolled Cambers, on 09 April 2013 - 05:05 PM, said:

Bahahaha How about workshop fights? Any fights happening anywhere?
when I worked @ Ford I manhandled one of the mechanics and chucked him in the back of a police falcon and turned on the lights and sirens :lol:

Bahahaha which Ford?!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!