Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
DRUMMERS! - Hardtuned.net

DRUMMERS! 

307 replies to this topic

#1 Lucas.

• Car:Toyota 4 runner

Posted 18 March 2009 - 11:00 AM

Evening all fellow drummers!

i think we should start a thread for us so ill start it off...

my names brad.. been playing drums for 6-7 years now.. started with some cheap shit billy hyde kit but now own a pearl exp kit and have had it for about 2 years from brand new...

I quit for 2 years and gave up but then saw taylor hawkins (foo fighters) playing at Hide Park and ever since then i fell inlove with fooies and my kit..

pics
its a bit of an old picture got two new zildjian cymbals.. Enjoy

Attached Thumbnails

• Attached Image: l_9ae81ee137344297a22f4b32cf18087c.jpg

#2 HUSTLA

• Car:Nissan Silvia s13

Posted 20 March 2009 - 04:30 PM

Im Dan, been playing for around 7-8 years now.

Heres my current kit ( hope to update this year )

Pearl, Zildjian, Paiste, Remo , Evans etc

Attached Image: drums.jpg

#3 sneaky fujita

• Car:1997 Nissan 180sx TypeX

Posted 20 March 2009 - 07:15 PM

What up? Been playing for over 15 years. This is the crown jewel of my drum sets:

DW Collectors handmade 'Private Reserve' in Ebony to Clear Lacquer Fade over Super-Quilted Maple Exotic.
10x8
12x8
14x11
20x18
(various snare drums)
(various cymbals incl. new and old Zildjians, Sabians, Istanbuls, one random Meinl, one even more random Anatolian)

Posted Image

UPDATE ......A more recent (and far better) pic from a concert/gig....
Posted Image

#4 Edd-GTR

• Car:1989 BNR32 GTR

Posted 21 March 2009 - 12:12 AM

Attached Image: 26072007497.jpgAttached Image: 02082007513.jpg

Hi, I'm Alasdair. Been playing for about 6 years now. Premier Cabria kit with Sabian cymbals and hats. Iron Cobra double kick. I keep the shitty Premier cymbal cos it's so f**ked it now sounds like a China :lol: Promark 5B's

#5 Spazo

• Car:JDM S15

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:37 AM

Wow sneaky, your kit is stunning!

I've posted this before but can't hurt to post again.

Posted Image

Sonor S-Class: 8, 10, 12, 14" toms, 22" bass drum, using a Pearl Chad Smith snare at the moment,
Cymbals (all Ufip):13" experience hats, 18" rough crash, 16" experience crash, 20" natural ride, 8" natural spash, 9" class splash, 16" rough crash (now cracked to shithouse haha).

Also using a tama iron cobra double kick pedal, all Evans heads and I use Greg Bisonette's signature drum sticks.

Here's an older vid of me playing it

#6 Guest_Umai Naa!!_*

Posted 22 March 2009 - 01:11 PM

Nice kits, guys!

I'll post up pics of mine later. I'm pretty sure it's still down in the back shed where I left it, 6 years ago :lol:

#7 Lucas.

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:20 PM

ah sick as, im getting some new heads for my kit over the weekend. so hopefully set it up for band practise out side and grab some more better pictures of it cleaned..

Nice video spazo. i would love to get a video but i always f**k up somewere :lol:

#8 Bennybear

• Car:BMW

Posted 24 March 2009 - 08:22 AM

Love the efficiency Spaz, good to see a player relying on wrist strength/control rather than trying to put a stick through the skins

#9 Spazo

• Car:JDM S15

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:34 AM

^

Gonna make a new vid when I get time, something less random hopefully.

#10 Lucas.

Posted 23 May 2009 - 08:29 PM

Any of use got vids of you playing to drums? questions? or are we the only drummers on here :lol:

#11 Jason12

• Car:Cressida

Posted 24 May 2009 - 01:45 PM

I used to play, but havent picked up sticks in about 3 yrs. was never any good though :P

#12 HUSTLA

• Car:Nissan Silvia s13

Posted 24 May 2009 - 05:58 PM

View Post_Lucas, on May 23 2009, 09:42 PM, said:

Any of use got vids of you playing to drums? questions? or are we the only drummers on here :lol:

Tryed recording a vid. but sound quality :S would like to hear others though !

#13 matty_d

• Car:mazda lantis

Posted 19 June 2009 - 12:12 PM

Hey im matty, been playing for about 13 years nearly. Rocked out on a few kits, current is a pacific lx all maple kit in natural laquer, 10/12/14/16 22, fusion depths and a few snares. Also Sabian AAX Metal 14in hats, 18/19/20 inch crashes, 16 and 18 in chinas and an old menil ride that i cant part with no matter what else i try in the set up... i love it. DW 5000 single chain double pedal, VIC Firth 1A sticks

No pics, im at work, but ill get some up soon.

Gigged heaps going back 4-5 years ago which is why i have said set up, drums sound bright and full of tone. Cymbals cut through anything like nobodies business. To me its a perfect live metal/ alt/ punk set up.

I play heaps, love funk, fusion style the most with odd time sigs that swap when im on my own
But also love belting it out metal/ alt / punk live

#14 jakez4G61

Posted 21 June 2009 - 11:14 AM

nice kits guys.

been playing for 9 years now and in my own band. we play kinda alternative rock with some punk in there too.

i have a 5 piece yamaha stage custom noveau which is a awesome kit for the price i paid with meinl cymbals. even though they are a amateur drum kit it has done so well with live gigs and recording sessions.

yamaha really have arguably the best kits around and i played on a yamaha maple custom and it is now my favourite kit and the kit i want to buy next. only thing that is putting me off is the $5000 price tag and the 3-4 month wait if there isn't one here up to my specs.

owning a 33 and having a passion for drums don't go very well financially speaking.

#15 Quicksilvia

• Car:S14a

Posted 21 June 2009 - 11:21 AM

Got a Mapex Venus Series which is back at home since i couldn't haul the thing down to Uni with me

#16 Edd-GTR

• Car:1989 BNR32 GTR

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:29 PM

View Postjakez4G61, on Jun 21 2009, 11:57 AM, said:

yamaha really have arguably the best kits around and i played on a yamaha maple custom and it is now my favourite kit and the kit i want to buy next. only thing that is putting me off is the $5000 price tag and the 3-4 month wait if there isn't one here up to my specs.

Absolutely. Yamaha Maple ftw :D

#17 M3LLOW

• Car:KE70 MX83

Posted 21 June 2009 - 11:43 PM

View PostJason12, on May 24 2009, 01:58 PM, said:

I used to play, but havent picked up sticks in about 3 yrs. was never any good though :P

My story is similar to that, plus the fact I have never really been a motivated person :lol:

#18 Shy_s6

• Car:depends wat month it is

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:10 AM

my g/f's cousin is the drummer in this band

http://www.myspace.com/bfpinc

#19 darcey

• Car:1997 JZX100 Chaser

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:12 AM

View PostEdd-GTR, on Jun 21 2009, 10:12 AM, said:

View Postjakez4G61, on Jun 21 2009, 11:57 AM, said:

Absolutely. Yamaha Maple ftw :D

bah! Get a DW up ya :P

#20 caustic

• Car:'96 180sx

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:20 AM

I had to:

"Will the musicians please come to the stage. Oh, and the drummer too."

What do you call a drummer that breaks up with his girlfriend?
Homeless.

How do you tell if the stage is level?
The drummer is drooling from both sides of his mouth.

What's the best way to confuse a drummer?
Put a sheet of music in front of him.

Hey, did you hear about the drummer who finished high school?
Nah, me either.

Why do guitarists put drumsticks on the dash of their car?
So they can park in the handicapped spot.

What do you call someone who hangs around with musicians?
A drummer.

What do you call a kid with a set of drums?
The poster child for Birth Control.

What would you call the smartest drummer in the world?
Mildly retarded.

What is the difference between a drummer and a savings bond?
One will mature and make money.

What do you call a beautiful woman on a drummer's arm?
A tattoo.

What's the difference between a large pizza and a drummer?
The pizza can feed a family of four.

#21 jakez4G61

Posted 22 June 2009 - 06:41 PM

^^^i don't agree with any of that except for the how to confuse a drummer one LoL. i freakin suck at reading music!

DW's/PDPs are very nice indeed and i also like tama, sonor and gretsch. i wouldn't mind having any one of those but i've realised for the price, features and sound of their comparable kits to a yamaha maple absolute...."nobody makes em like the japs"!! but wach to their own lol.

You cant say no to this!

Posted Image

Edited by jakez4G61, 22 June 2009 - 07:02 PM.

#22 matty_d

• Car:mazda lantis

Posted 23 June 2009 - 10:48 AM

I recorded on a set of yamaha custom oak drums... these things were great!
first time i had ever played an oak kit... sort of like an in between of maple and birch
hard to explain, but was warm, loud, and attacky... made for an awesome kick drum sound.
The quality was awesome.

Ive played on heaps of kits, a great sounding sonor delight which would be my ultimate kit
but they cost the earth

Im convinced though that it a great sound can come from good tuning and good skins

I love my pdp kit though, everything that I ever wanted is right there, and im not afraid to gig it at all.

Lol at the drummer jokes. Ive heard them all. I have played in a few bands where I have been the only one who can read music. We arent all retarded... ever tried playing/ reading anything in a 13/8 time sig?

im trying to find a new band at the moment, but im torn as to what i wanna play

#23 sneaky fujita

Posted 23 June 2009 - 05:03 PM

I really like that Yamaha Oak Custom that's pictured above, but as for the rack it's mounted on? That thing is instant fail.

#24 TougeR34

• Car:R34 GTT

Posted 23 June 2009 - 05:05 PM

i play drums in guitar hero... can i come play?

#25 Lucas.

Posted 23 June 2009 - 05:19 PM

No!

I f**king hate that game, the drums arnt even in time.. im better at guitar then i am at drums..

#26 jakez4G61

Posted 23 June 2009 - 09:44 PM

^^^ LoL sneaky fujita true the rack is a tad weird but i dont mind it at all.

Edited by jakez4G61, 23 June 2009 - 09:45 PM.

#27 sneaky fujita

Posted 24 June 2009 - 05:14 AM

Jake, i'll explain my 'instant fail' comment better. In my mind, the purpose of a drum rack is to eliminate all the weight of carrying multiple stand bases (which we know are the heaviest part of your hardware) and clean up the floor around your kit. This rack is easily the most over-engineered / arty looking piece of drum hardware i have ever seen.

Kudos on the design and construction, kudos on how it would look under stage lights, kudos on being an 'open-left handed drummer', kudos on picking a great finish for your drums and having the excellent taste to choose a Musashi auxiliary snare but if your rack takes up more space than the same setup mounted on stands you need to check yourself before you wreck yourself. This is straight Transformers.

#28 darcey

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:34 PM

Been playing on and off since grade 7...Got serious in college and gigged for 2 years in a couple of different bands, playing mainly interstate. Bands broke up over time due to work/relationship commitments, i moved into a city apartment and pretty much stopped playing :(

Years passed, I sold all my gear and didn't give drumming a second thought at all until i was surfing youtube one day and came across a drum cover of Push it by Tool...Just brought it all back and really inspired me to pick up the sticks again

my current setup is

PDP CX kit in Black Diamond finish, currently with DW heads but would like to replace soon with some Evans (always been a Remo man but heard good things about Evans)

Mix of PDP 900 and Pearl hardware, PDP 900 Hat stand, DW 9000 Double kick, DW 9000 throne

Paiste Signature Series 20 inch Dry Dark ride, 20 inch Dry Ride, 18inch Full crash, 17inch Full crash, 16 inch Dark Energy Crash MK I, 13 inch Dark Crisp hats and a 10 inch Ufip Natural Splash

Attached Image: DSCF2397.JPGAttached Image: DSCF2409.JPG
(currently doesn't have the dry dark ride and 18inch full crash setup...no room :( )

#29 Lucas.

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:36 PM

Looks good mate, i must ask, do the pads make the cymbals over-power the toms and snare?

#30 darcey

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:58 PM

Cheers Lucas :)

Yes mate, they are too loud really unless you are using HotRods....There are pads for the cymbals too but i don't use them on the paiste's...I have seen cymbals crack in the past when using the pads so i just throw on some shithouse Meinl's on with the pads plus gaffa when i practice

Ideally i wouldn't use them but needed a quick and cheap way if killing some sound... The woman next door is the “typical sticky beak, whinge at everything, stuck at home with nothing to do” and bitches alot when i use to practice without the pads :(
Funny enough when i have some mates over to jam her husband always comes out, sits in his deck with some beers and listens to us play (he is a big jazz fan) lol His wife is just a cow!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!