Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
Guitar stuff - Hardtuned.net

Guitar stuff 

276 replies to this topic

#1 Bennybear

• Car:BMW

Posted 21 July 2009 - 07:10 PM

Quick thread; just put a custom wound JB humbucker from Seymour Duncan in the bridge of my ESP snapper = Win. Massive presence and huge sustain without sacrificing mids. I love it!

Have a patented Yngwie Malmsteen single coil (DiMarzio) on the way so that is in next!!

I also spent 20 minutes hard-tailing the guitar (blocking the trem) and it is by far the best cheap mod you can do!!!

#2 lilandonaki

Posted 21 July 2009 - 11:24 PM

the Finish looks f**king awesome :D
mines just plain gloss black <_<

EDIT:
heres a pic. they both need a fking major clean, and restring

Attached Thumbnails

• Attached Image: Image014.jpg

#3 free_state

• Car:s13 ca18det

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:56 AM

All sweet guitars man im jelous ^_^ .. I'm currently looking at getting a schecter - she devil .. dunno thou are they any good (schecter guitars) ?

Attached Thumbnails

• Attached Image: C_1_SheDevil.jpg

#4 lilandonaki

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:35 PM

View PostBennybear, on Jul 22 2009, 10:45 AM, said:

What is the LP shape?

And yes they both need a clean :lol:
By LP Shape you mean the Les Paul shape, yes?

thats the same as my two guitars, with the hook only at the bottom, and a curve at the top.

Guitar with the hook at the top isnt a Les paul style guitar

Thats AFAIK..

#5 Spazo

• Car:JDM S15

Posted 22 July 2009 - 09:03 PM

Hot finish on ur blue thing Benny

I think I remember u saying you're one of those guitarists that collect all the nicer sorta models

#6 lilandonaki

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:01 PM

View PostBennybear, on Jul 22 2009, 11:20 PM, said:

View Postlilandonaki, on Jul 22 2009, 07:48 PM, said:

View PostBennybear, on Jul 22 2009, 10:45 AM, said:

What is the LP shape?

And yes they both need a clean :lol:
By LP Shape you mean the Les Paul shape, yes?

thats the same as my two guitars, with the hook only at the bottom, and a curve at the top
guitar with the hook at the top isnt a Les paul style guitar
Thats AFAIK..
Haha, thanks mate - I meant what make/model is the LP shape :rolleyes:

that, i wouldnt have a clue. i know that Epiphone is a sub-branch of Les Paul, so they have the LP style guitars.. My electric is an Epiphone Special II

#7 free_state

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:00 PM

View PostBennybear, on Jul 22 2009, 11:28 PM, said:

View Postfree_state, on Jul 22 2009, 01:09 PM, said:

All sweet guitars man im jelous ^_^ .. I'm currently looking at getting a schecter - she devil .. dunno thou are they any good (schecter guitars) ?

Schecter do make some good guitars mate; my recommendation would be to go for a neck-through model with either a hard tail or string through body. I have this deep-seeded hate of tremolos :lol:

There are many different combinations of the she devil; what style of music are you planning and what sort of budget?

I really dont know much about guitars hey , just how to play it haha , looking into getting lessons very soon .. Howcom you hate tremlos ? (not that i know what that is i thought it was a type of picking haha ) . And yeh i play lots of different shit .. usually heavier stuff , but would be looking for a good all round sounding guitar. And budget prolly around a grand .. i can get it from billy hyde and they let ya pay em off over a year so thats cool ^_^ .

#8 spooling

• Car:s-13 Q's/AE86

Posted 25 July 2009 - 03:46 PM

Theres a easy way to fix the trem proplem. just ad more springs and get the bridge sitting on the body. You have to set it up for for your needs, you can't settle for stantard production parts, atleast i can't.

Bar trem (like a typical Fender Stratocaster setup) = No good for blues/rock as you cant bend a string without pulling the others out of tune.

Really??????????? Come on man the strat is the classic tone for blues and rock. Do i have to name all the guitarist that use strats with trem?

I have bein playing american strats for years love em to bits. Anyway nice guitar man what amps you play through?

Do you just play through the roland cube and the me-50?? (those roland cubes are good aye)

#9 Bennybear

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:15 PM

More new shit :)

Throwing this little puppy in the neck of the ESP.

Just about to pick up a pre-wired EMG loaded pickguard for my old EX series Ibanez - should put a little more junk in the trunk!

I need to back it off a little, roughly $1200 in parts alone over the last 2-3 weeks!

Attached Thumbnails

• Attached Image: IMG_0098.jpg

#10 Marko

Posted 29 July 2009 - 08:58 AM

the roland cube is an awesome little amp. played on one when they first came out but only really used the rectifier effect which sounded good. cant go wrong for the price and features.

#11 Bennybear

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:19 AM

Ok so we finally made it back from Adelaide; I am happy to report that I now need some form of detox program and I have a full wine fridge again :)

On Topic: Here's a pic of my ESP Snapper Custom, finally finished and sparkly in all its glory. For the tech heads out there; I had a coil tap installed so at the flick of a micro switch it taps both the JB and the lil' 59. Put simply I can now dial in around 10 completely individual tones through one guitar = amazing!

Side note: I played one of the new Ibanez X series destroyers and I love it! For a $1600 guitar it has a massive presence and it feels like an entire tree hanging around your neck!

Attached Thumbnails

• Attached Image: Finished 006.jpg

#12 Bennybear

Posted 20 August 2009 - 02:46 PM

Some high res pics of my ESP.

#13 lilandonaki

Posted 23 August 2009 - 11:30 PM

Looks good as! ^ ^

#14 ShimaShadow

• Car:1993 180sx

Posted 24 August 2009 - 01:29 PM

the ax looks sick dude :)

you should be very happy.

im thinking maybe i should start a thread with a few of my guitars in it.

#15 free_state

Posted 24 August 2009 - 01:48 PM

Post em up here ShimaShadow , also BennyBear should youtube a clip of you playin your esp so we can all hear its beauty Posted Image .

#16 pappas99

• Car:faster than yours ;)

Posted 02 September 2009 - 12:38 PM

nice one guys, here's a couple pics of my US Fender Stratocaster Stevie Ray Vaughan Special Edition! it contains maple fretboard, special Texas style blues pickups, upside down tremolo and a few other goodies that they put on top of a normal US model strat, i love it!

Attached Thumbnails

• Attached Image: IMG_0605.jpg
  • Attached Image: IMG_0595.jpg

Attached Images

• Attached Image: guitar.JPG

#17 pappas99

Posted 03 September 2009 - 02:58 PM

cheers mate, your right about the maple neck too, i was thinking one thing but wrote the other down lol

im a big fan of the texas specials, i really like the tone and get a good sustained sound from them. the only thing i hate about strats is not being able to easily tune them because of the floating tremolo.

oh also SRV is my fav guitarist, love his stuff. i've been learning to play 'Lenny' lately

#18 pappas99

Posted 05 September 2009 - 10:57 AM

hmmm sounds interesting. please show me if you can dude cheers

Im currently playing through a fender hot rod deluxe limited edition amp, got a Jensen speaker and solid ash timber finish, gets a great clean tone! then i have a few pedals dunlop crybaby and rotovibe, TS9 tubescreamer and marshall guvnor (replicates awesome dirty Marshall JCM distortion)

Posted Image

will check out that other SRV tune you mentioned ive actually never heard it before

#19 BADMENTON

Posted 24 September 2009 - 03:02 PM

This is the one I have. Its freakin awesome. Just bought a BOSS GT-10 as well. Many hours of fun to be had there.

Attached Image: ESP_Eclipse-II_STBK.jpg

#20 lilandonaki

Posted 26 September 2009 - 03:25 AM

looks MAD as!! ^^

How much did she set you back?

#21 Bennybear

Posted 29 September 2009 - 10:52 AM

ESP LTD FX-400sm

* Set-Neck
* 24.75 Scale
* Mahogany Body
* Spalted Maple Top (Diseased tree!)
* 5 Pc Mahogany-Maple Neck
* Rosewood Fingerboard
* 42mm Earvana Compensated Nut
* Thin U Neck Contour
* 22 XJ Frets
* Black Nickel Hardware
* Grover Tuners
* TOM Bridge & Tail
* EMG 81 (B) / 60 (N) Active p.u.
* Finish: Satin

Picked this awesome little thing up in Adelaide of all places; it is rock solid and built for pure metal!
I'm not usually a fan of EMG (or any active pickups for that matter) but they really cut through what would typically be a dark sounding guitar being all mahogany.

The satin finish on the neck is awesome, it gets faster as your hands get sweaty and the profile is a nice handful; very similar to the old Gibson 50's neck but a bit shallower. The EMG's have their own tone & presence so it's hard to comment on the guitar itself but it seems to be very resonant. A good indication of tone woods on a guitar is their 'unplugged volume' - the good ones will have almost an acoustic quality to them and you can feel the notes resonate through the body.

I picked this up by chance as I stumbled across it on sale while I was back in Adelaide for a few days (thanks Qantas and the retarded baggage handlers who sent it out on the carousel with a 38kg bag sitting on top...Remind me again why I bothered putting four HUGE fragile stickers on the packaging?!?!).

I need to give it a good setup as there is some fret buzz happening at the moment, I'll reserve my thoughts on build quality until then but thus far it's a very well built axe, especially considering it cost about 75% less than what I am used to seeing.

Attached Thumbnails

• Attached Image: FX - 400 004.jpg
  • Attached Image: FX - 400 005.jpg
  • Attached Image: FX - 400 009.jpg
  • Attached Image: FX - 400 011.jpg

#22 Pervy

• Car:S14a

Posted 29 September 2009 - 11:32 AM

Nice ESP man. Looks great.

#23 BADMENTON

Posted 29 September 2009 - 12:43 PM

View Postlilandonaki, on 26 September 2009 - 03:25 AM, said:

looks MAD as!! ^^

How much did she set you back?

I got it a couple of years ago for about 2k was bundled with a Marshall Valvestate 275. It makes lots of noise.

View PostBennybear, on 28 September 2009 - 12:38 AM, said:

View Postperson, on 24 September 2009 - 03:02 PM, said:

This is the one I have. Its freakin awesome. Just bought a BOSS GT-10 as well. Many hours of fun to be had there.

Attachment ESP_Eclipse-II_STBK.jpg

Eclipse are spanking guitars mate, I had the same model but in the tobacco sunburst & w/duncans. GT-10 scares the shit out of me, I'm computer illiterate enough without that thing beeping at me!

I originally wanted the tobacco sunburst when I went looking but couldnt find one easily and quickly so bought the see through black. Have now seen the tobacco colour and honestly prefer the black. They are damn nice guitars. RRP is now around the 3.7k mark. You would be an idiot to pay that though.

#24 BADMENTON

Posted 29 September 2009 - 04:10 PM

I think you missunderstood me. I paid 2K for the guitar because it was bundled with the amp. The Amp was a further 900 second hand (as new)

I think that Marshall offers quite good value for money with a lot of their amps. I would ideally be playing mesa as well if money was no concern. Because of the way I have my FX setup, I bypass the preamp on the marshall anyway and just use the BOSS one. It is much more sensitive and adjustable.

This means my tone is almost all based on the BOSS effects pedal.

I think my best comment on the GT10 is that is is soo comprehensive it takes literally weeks to get it sorted. A lot of the presets are good but to use them in a jam situation you do need to modify them, mainly output volume for the effects etc so that your clean is a bit quieter than your distortion etc.

The loop function is unbelieveably good for sketching and composing multi layer guitar parts and with a bit of creativity could be used in a live situation quite easily. If you have the time and the effort and want almost unlimited effects possibilities then it is a great unit. It is good enough for most players however there are a few shortcomings in the switching between effects that leave room for improvement.

#25 BADMENTON

Posted 30 September 2009 - 08:15 AM

nothing else serious. Always eyed off a PRS but cant justify the cost. Have also considered an Edwards Alexi Liaho model, although it looks rockin, I just dont think the music I play could pull off such a ludicris guitar.

I have a maton acoustic which is nice. Doesnt bend easily though which is a pain (was a gift) but sounds amazing.

#26 BADMENTON

Posted 02 October 2009 - 02:29 PM

Would love to go and test out a prs, but I think if I did I would never be able to say no. Look at these beautiful axes. They don't even have to sound good when they look this awesome. But they do anyway.

Attached Image: avail_prs1212a89.jpgAttached Image: 305950175_o.jpg

#27 Bennybear

Posted 02 October 2009 - 09:19 PM

Agreed; my SC 245 doesn't have a '10' top like the ones above but the finish is remarkable.

** Picked up a nice little Hercules Tri-stand while I was over in Canberra - the thing is freaking indestructible! I would gig it any day!

I picked it up from Pro Audio whom also happen to be the national distributor for Mesa Boogie... About a heart beat away from taking home a new Dual Rec head :blush:

They also stock Cole Clark acoustics - I fell in love with these things, so beautiful.

Attached Thumbnails

• Attached Image: Hercules Stand 002.jpg
  • Attached Image: Hercules Stand 008.jpg

#28 Bennybear

Posted 06 October 2009 - 04:16 PM

New Project! Woot!

I dragged my trusty old Ibanez out of the dungeon and stripped all the shit off of it!

Plan is to cover it in a toxic-lime green colour with black hardware and multi coloured pickups like the famous Ibanez RG's of years gone by. At this point I am going for a DiMarzio P.A.F Pro in the neck and a DiMarzio FRED in the bridge - the same combination used by Joe Satriani for the last few years. I was looking at getting the Schaller locking tremolo but at $600 it's a bit ridiculous, especially considering that I can pick up a Floyd Rose Pro for less than half that amount.

As you can see I have already started on the body work; the clear coat is so thick on this shit it took me and hour and three sheets of carbide sandpaper to get to the paint! Wtf! The original pickups were hilarious; there was actually a slab magnet glued to the underside of the copper coils!!!

The neck has been fret dressed and cleaned. It now has an awesomely smooth satin finish on the back & headstock so playability should be phenomenal. I was screwing around with a Dremel and decided to scallop the headstock; not entirely sold on it yet but that's the beauty of project guitars - anything is fixable!

I'll update this with bits as I go but it will be pending funds so don't hold your breath, haha.

Attached Thumbnails

• Attached Image: Project guitar 003.jpg
  • Attached Image: Project guitar 004.jpg
  • Attached Image: Project guitar 007.jpg
  • Attached Image: Project guitar 008.jpg

#29 martin_HR31

• Car:HR31 Skyline

Posted 09 October 2009 - 05:40 PM

i just got back into playing after a 6-7 year break lol

i played all through high school, but just sort of stopped one day. Ive got my first guitar which is just a cheap Ibanez Stagestar, but i cant ever get rid of it cuz its my first guitar and i played all the gigs i ever did on it. It needs a bit of servicing after hibernating for over 6 years but yea lol.

i also recently bought an Epiphone Les Paul Studio. Its only a cheap one but I always wanted a Les Paul as Jimmy Page was and is my fav guitarist. I'll post some pics up when i get a chance.

for now its sore finger tips and lots of practice ahead.

I love how much denial i have, i thought i could jump back on and bust out the solos i used to do with my eyes closed. What used to seem slow seems bullshit fast now LOL

#30 lilandonaki

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:01 PM

View Postmartin_HR31, on 09 October 2009 - 05:40 PM, said:

for now its sore finger tips and lots of practice ahead.

I love how much denial i have, i thought i could jump back on and bust out the solos i used to do with my eyes closed. What used to seem slow seems bullshit fast now LOL
haha i know what you mean!
my friend is blazingly fast (mind you, i can barely play the blues scale within 10 seconds). (him playing (fast at about 1:40~))

he tries to teach me, but cause he's so fast, its ridiculous. anyways, i just restringed mine, and i play about 15 minutes a night, just working on a couple chords, and my speed on a couple scales..

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!