Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
Installing an after market plumbed back bov on 180sx - Hardtuned.net - Page 2

Installing an after market plumbed back bov on 180sx 

bov 180sx s13 plumbed back
40 replies to this topic

#31 Varvs

• Car:97 180sx Type X

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:08 AM

that turbo should be hitting 14 - 17 PSI by 3500ish

you need to set START to around 7-9PSI. that prevents the wastegate receiving any boost feed until that threshold is reached which will make it spool quicker.

#32 s15rocket

• Car:180sx type x

Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:03 PM

View PostVarvs, on 17 February 2017 - 08:08 AM, said:

that turbo should be hitting 14 - 17 PSI by 3500ish

you need to set START to around 7-9PSI. that prevents the wastegate receiving any boost feed until that threshold is reached which will make it spool quicker.

Stock ECU mate.

Don't anymore than 12psi right now until I get it tuned.

I will play around with the start though. See If I can get a little more response.

Its hard when you are by yourself though. Trying to look at your boost guage and monitor everything without smashing your car is kinda tricky lmao jk.

#33 200VIA

• Car:S15

Posted 18 February 2017 - 11:02 AM

I'm in a very similar situation, Greddy Profec with stock turbo & ECU.
I have mine in control mode, currently running 25% SET, 5psi START & 0% GAIN.
It spools up hard to 5psi even under fairly low throttle percentage, then holds there.
Then under full throttle it continues to spool up to about 10psi.
This should be safe enough until the car gets tuned.
PS- may I suggest late night 4th gear highway pulls... :rolleyes:

#34 Dose Pipe Sutututu

• Car:Boat Sutututuutu

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:44 PM

get a Nistune, pull some timing back

stock JDM ECU has too much timing in the mid range and you'll easily grenade a motor with too muhc boost and high IATs

#35 s15rocket

Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:17 PM

Just an update.

Finally got everything hooked up tonight. Was a pain in the ass tbh and frustrating at times but I got there in the end.

I ended up using a radiator hose from a 95 Astra lol to recirculate the bov back into the stock recirculation pipe under the AFM. Shaped like a U. Perfect shape! And improvise with a few other parts from bunnings.

Car is running soooo much better now.

But I can't hear my BOV. Is this normal? On my old S15 I could hear the BOV pump the air back into the system when I changed gear.

Just like this plumb back.

But I can't anything on mine. Do I need to adjust the soft and hard on the BOV? I was thinking the spring is set too hard.

https://www.youtube....h?v=b27zE4EuVn8

Edited by s15rocket, 28 February 2017 - 09:19 PM.

#36 pmod

• Car:Fruity 180sx

Posted 01 March 2017 - 08:42 AM

If your car sounds like that S15, with the BOV installed an connected such that it will recirculate the air back into the intake, then the spring is indeed too hard. If you set the spring so hard that the valve won't open, it's like having no valve at all, subsequently making flutter sounds with a T28 or dose with a much bigger turbo.

#37 200VIA

• Car:S15

Posted 01 March 2017 - 10:13 AM

Yes, try a softer setting on the spring.
My S15 would flutter when I first installed my BOV before I lowered the spring pressure.
If you still can't get a result you're happy with, Turbosmart sell springs with different pressures too.

#38 Varvs

Posted 01 March 2017 - 05:39 PM

I have mine fully tensioned. I get flutters at anything under 5PSI or if you back off really slowly. otherwise I just get the standard whooshing noise.

Im fine with it and doesnt affect the tune at all.

#39 s15rocket

Posted 03 March 2017 - 04:59 PM

Wound the BOV right out to pretty much the softest position today. Still cant hear anything. No flutter or whoosing. Maybe I can't hear anything because its a rubber intake? Anyway I suspect its working because the car is running a lot better and seems to be a lot smoother gear changes on boost. Might have to purchase a softer spring from Turbosmart since I like the wooshing sound. Anyway no rush now. Car running well. I'll get a tune first (when I get some money).

#40 Varvs

Posted 03 March 2017 - 05:12 PM

you want a spring that suits the amount of boost you are running.

if you set it too soft, it will be blown open by the boost raising, and you'll lose boost.

if you set it too hard, it wont open fully.

#41 s15rocket

Posted 11 March 2017 - 01:31 AM

Got a new custom intake pipe made up today. Will fit a z32 AFM up to my stock airbox (which I plan on cutting the bottom out of) as well the current stock AFM. Fabricator did a great job imo. Was $280 which I felt was pretty reasonable because it was a fiddly job working in a tight space.

I actually HEAR my BOV now as well. So the stock rubber intake was causing a lot of noise suppression. I'm only running 10-11psi right now so apparently the bov I have only opens at 10psi (spring rating) so I wouldn't expect to hear much yet until I up the boost but I can definitely hear it opening now (adjusted bov to full hard). Flutters up to about 8psi.

Overall car is running great now. Gave her a good run tonight, its just gutless lol and the response of the turbo is terrible only kicks in around 4000rpm. Need a tune BAD so I can up that boost.

Pics for anyone interested.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by s15rocket, 11 March 2017 - 01:35 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!