Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
The random photography thread - Hardtuned.net - Page 3

The random photography thread 

440 replies to this topic

#61 Siddr20

• Car:Chaser JZX100

Posted 28 September 2008 - 07:40 PM

I think we need a for sale thread lol

I got few items that i want to sell!!

basti - yea im waiting for him to get back to me.. If it doesnt go ahead for some reason you should buy it!! Great flash to start off it..

Gravy - looking forward to it mate :)

#62 UTRIED

• Car:EsS - 5ifteen

Posted 29 September 2008 - 09:47 PM

Siddr20, on Sep 22 2008, 07:05 AM, said:

UTRIED, on Sep 21 2008, 10:50 PM, said:

hey guys,

ive been playing around with my 450D and just wondering if yous ever had the same issue as me

ie. when i take pix with the function 'no flash' (using the turn nob), some pics turn out blurry, maybe due to hand shake? or is it my camera having problems? (IS is switched on)

also when i tried playing with Av fuction, if i put my camera really close to the object, say a box is the only subject iam focusing on, with auto-focus swithed on, sometimes my pix turn out blurry aswel..
but if i walk a couple of steps back, images turn out fine.

just curious to see if iam the only person whos getting weird blurry pix.. and if anyone knows if its due to hand shake or camera sensor?
my 450D is pretty new, never dropped or anything like that..

cheers.

Could be a number of things :(

Could be handshake. But does this only happens in no flash mode? What are the settings?

I suggest you take some test pics for us. That ie, take a pic in auto mode (P) - where you wont need flash. Use the same settings in no flash mode.
Perhaps put the camera on a tripod. Take the next set of shots handheld too. See what happens.

In regards to the box thingy.. If autofocus isnt focusing well for you, then try it in manual focus (MF).
Use marco mode if you really have to, to take close up shots.

Also what lens are you using for all this?

bakatono, on Sep 22 2008, 12:27 PM, said:

your blurry problem is going to be either handshake or focus

focus needs light and an edge to detect to focus on - if you're trying to focus in the middle of a car panel it may not pick it up and mis-focus

if its handshake, you need to hold the camera still my friend - or get a faster shutter speed. this can be done with higher ISO, brighter lens (F2.8 or better) or a flash ^_^

1/10 is usually the slowest you can go with IS/VR systems.

post up a pic of the 'blurred' image you speak of and we can tell you if its out of focus or if its handshake

guys,

thanks for the replies.. i've been testing the camera with flash and without flash.
i found that without flash, the camera (450D) is very sensitive with 'hand-shake'.

tripod solves the problem, but sometimes you just wana pull out your camera and snap a kodak moment without flash, which pisses me off when the pic turns out blurry when zoomed to 100% (but when on LCD screen, it shows a sharp image.)

you guys pointed out some good points like requiring an 'edge' for focus which i tried and works well..

thanks for your help :P

cheers,

#63 Camel Toe

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:40 PM

you guys pointed out some good points like requiring an 'edge' for focus which i tried and works well..

auto focusing relies on colour contrast more to be able to focus and lock, the 'edge' u used is just a difference in the lighting and colours

try focusing on a pure black wall using AF, it wont focus as there is no colour contrast to focus on. Add a tiny white dot or something that stands out from the black, and it will lock on that easily :) Just like how AF assist mode on external flashes throw out an infrared beam on the subject in low light.

if u are having trouble focusing in low light, use focus and recompose by finding a brighter or lighter colour and use that to lock.

atm im very impressed with Nikon's new focusing system with 51 points and contrast recognition etc - much better than any Canon atm.

#64 Siddr20

Posted 01 October 2008 - 10:02 PM

Camel Toe i remember ages ago you were offering services to teach users how to use studio equipment and learn a bit more about it etc.

Are you still doing it?

If so, possible if you can do it in sydney? hahaha

#65 Siddr20

Posted 01 October 2008 - 10:29 PM

Another quick question

I wish to use the burst mode and take say 100 photos of 30 sec exposures each..

Now how long will the battery last by doing this? How can i charge the battery, while the camera is on at the same time?

Is that even possible?

I know people taking like an hour long exposures. Will a single battery last that long?

#66 Camel Toe

Posted 02 October 2008 - 12:20 AM

Camel Toe i remember ages ago you were offering services to teach users how to use studio equipment and learn a bit more about it etc.

Are you still doing it?

If so, possible if you can do it in sydney? hahaha

yeah I am but atm its hard to lug my gear up to Sydney u know! Right now I use beginners and apprentices to help me out at weddings as a 3rd shooter if the client chooses my premium package - which has 2 photographers covering it. This allows the beginner to practice their wedding skills, its not just about shooting - its about communications and having a good personality, and knowing how to direct poses and other stuff - plus I pay them 50 bucks to be there. :)

I will be in Sydney in next few weeks for a fashion shoot, so u are welcomed to come along and have a play as well, full frame goodness lol will let u know exactly when!

I wish to use the burst mode and take say 100 photos of 30 sec exposures each..

u cant literally use burst mode as cameras have minimum shutter speeds for being able to burst. What u can do....is find an appropriate remote for the camera with timed interval shooting, and u may be able to adjust when it will shoot and how long for each time.

my pentax K20D that i just sold has built in interval timer, I can set it for say.......1 shot every second or every 30 secs, at the lowest jpeg quality or whatever quality, with a 16gig card inside, it will literally take photos for over 24 hrs if it has sufficient batteries, but it doesnt :P

I have seen a 1DsMKII do a 4 hr long exposure on one charge, but thats a big and powerful battery. Its all dependent on the battery's age and charge, add a grip with extra battery to extend it twice as long for ur camera. It will be capable of a few 1 hr exposures in 1 go, but the sensor will heat up.............

#67 Siddr20

Posted 02 October 2008 - 09:16 AM

Awesome, let me know when you are in Sydney next and perhaps i just might tag along :P

IN regards to the burst mode, wouldn't the easiest way to be; to put the camera into burst mode and keep the shutter depressed (offcourse with a shutter release cable). So with this in place it will just keep taking photos until the memory card is full, or however many photos you wanna take.
Well i want is taking sequential photos..
But yea like it will take 1 frame shot every 30 seconds.. thats what it will do right??

Anyways once my shutter release cable arrives for the 40d, i will give it a try and show you what i mean..

#68 oRiCLe

• Car:Silvia S13

Posted 02 October 2008 - 09:24 AM

dude just hook it up to the computer and use the canon software, can setup any range of shots you want and have it take long exposures every 15 minutes or whatever you want...

#69 Siddr20

Posted 02 October 2008 - 10:08 AM

I don't have a laptop :(

So i cant move my desktop computer out to the backyard or something!!

Hopefully my shutter cable arrives by next week. Will show you all what im planning to do!!

ta

#70 Clubmanmc

• Car:MX-5 Clubman one of 186 total production

Posted 02 October 2008 - 04:15 PM

haikii, on Sep 19 2008, 05:51 AM, said:

My wireless hot shoes arrived today! and my 2 dollar flash off ebay is compatible with them!!!!! ROAR!!!! external slave!!! WOOOO. love it.

what wireless hot shoe did you buy as i am looking for one and the canon one is about $260

Siddr20, on Sep 20 2008, 11:02 PM, said:

So just about to head down to drift aus.

Any panning shot tips?

Going to be borrowing my friends zoom lens (i think its 55-200 kit lens?)

So any quick pointers? :P

dam i missed that i would have been standing in front of you... or close enough... could have given you some tips... all good... next time..
my best tip is to do this...

its all about practice...
go to a 60km/h stretch of road where the cars will ALL BE TRAVELING AT THE SAME SPEED, using a 200mm or bigger lense, and start shooting at 1/100th of a sec, panning with the car
when you get 4 shots out of 5 sharp start slowing down the shot, go to 1/80th ad then do the same, when you have got 4/5 go down to 1/60th...

when you get bored of that
move to a 80km/h strecth and start again at 1/100th
again try and find a spot where the cars are all traveling at the same speed...

believe it or not cars coming at you at different speeds makes it harder to adjust and get into the rythm..
as a rule i ususally will shoot at between 1/125th to 1/160th depending on the situation, after i know i have the shots i need i then start to experiment and play, shooting DOWN to 1/40th with my 100-400 usually at about 230mm

but panning is all about practice... once you got it and you are good at it you will be able to judge alot of things...

heck i have panned at a wedding!! as the bride passes me down the aisle...

haikii, on Sep 21 2008, 11:30 AM, said:

event photographers are gay. one of them got in my way of capturing bolger crashing last year. I was following him and BOOM i caught him crashing in the wall but the event photographer was jsut standing there like a homo so he took up half my pic.

Thanks dick head.. its what we do.. we are walls so that people in the crowd cant take their pics.. so that we can sell ours... :)
but really.. depending on who it was i tend to try and avoid standing DIRECTLY infront of some one... but some times its just too hard...

Siddr20, on Sep 22 2008, 11:22 AM, said:

Is there anyone in sydney who can lend me there speedlight for one night please!!

I got a event coming up and my friend wants me to take some photos for her.

Its just for one night.. Please? lol

Edit: for a 40d!!

Speedlites fit all EOS cameras (and some of the power shot range too) they will fit any camera with a hot shoe but they use the E-TTL (Evauluative- Thru The Lense) metering with canon cameras... meaning that they will do a preflash before the shot is taken and measure the light thru the lense and then fire the right amount of flash accordingly...

M

#71 Clubmanmc

Posted 02 October 2008 - 04:20 PM

Siddr20, on Oct 1 2008, 11:59 PM, said:

Awesome, let me know when you are in Sydney next and perhaps i just might tag along :P

IN regards to the burst mode, wouldn't the easiest way to be; to put the camera into burst mode and keep the shutter depressed (offcourse with a shutter release cable). So with this in place it will just keep taking photos until the memory card is full, or however many photos you wanna take.
Well i want is taking sequential photos..
But yea like it will take 1 frame shot every 30 seconds.. thats what it will do right??

Anyways once my shutter release cable arrives for the 40d, i will give it a try and show you what i mean..

using the cable release, and setting the camera to a fixed focus (manual important as if it cant focus it wont take a pic) and setting the Shutter to 30" it will take a 30" shot every time, be aware that if you have long exposure noise reduction every 30 second shot will take 60 seconds to take, as it takes the 30 sec shot then takes another with the shutter closed, for 30 sec and then compares the two removes hot spots... its a biatch if your doing star trails as it means you get to take a 45 min shot and then have to wait 45 mins to take another!

good luck sounds like fun!!

M

#72 Siddr20

Posted 02 October 2008 - 08:29 PM

Is there a option to set 'reduce long exposure noise' ??

Just found out that my shutter release cable was shipped today, so im hoping it comes by monday or tuesday next week.

So i will give it try and let you know how it all goes.

BTW i got a shutter release cable for most ***d series canon for sale.

Worked on my 350d.
Selling it for say 5 bucks lol..

#73 Clubmanmc

Posted 03 October 2008 - 09:29 AM

Siddr20, on Oct 2 2008, 11:12 AM, said:

Is there a option to set 'reduce long exposure noise' ??

yeah its in the custom functions area..

there is also a high ISO noise reduction, but be aware that if you turn it on the cameras performance (FPS) will reduce, the 40D will come down to about 9 shots in a burst and not the 35 ish that it shoudl take...

M

#74 Camel Toe

Posted 07 October 2008 - 04:11 PM

Today is a sad day for me.........

I am finally Pentax-less after spending the last 3 yrs using it for casual use and professional work for Lonely Planet and fashion shoots for publications.

Sent the K20D and lens and studio stuff away to a girl in Brisbane who bought it. She won the QLD youth photography award and got 2k so I know its going to a good home and help expand her creativity.

Now I am down to 2 Canon 5D bodies.......... :(

if i was not shooting professionally I would have stuck with Pentax, will go back to it again once I make more money to burn. Have to stick with Canon as lens hire and availability is so much better - especially from my store where I can just grab something off the shelve to use for the weekend for clients.

#75 Siddr20

Posted 08 October 2008 - 10:01 AM

At least you still got your 5d bodies :)

Heres a bit of advice for everyone:

Dont shoot in AV mode if you are taking photographs of someone dancing with your nifty fifty!!

I learnt the hard way!! Pics came out blury :(
Set it to f1.8, exposure came out well.. but shutter speed was slow so all my pics came out blury!!

Should have gone all manual..

#76 Basti

Posted 08 October 2008 - 11:47 AM

thats why i try not to use Av unless its bright outside. manual mode may take a tiny bit longer but atleast your pics are focused a tad

#77 Clubmanmc

Posted 08 October 2008 - 02:52 PM

Siddr20, on Oct 8 2008, 12:44 AM, said:

At least you still got your 5d bodies :)

Heres a bit of advice for everyone:

Dont shoot in AV mode if you are taking photographs of someone dancing with your nifty fifty!!

I learnt the hard way!! Pics came out blury :(
Set it to f1.8, exposure came out well.. but shutter speed was slow so all my pics came out blury!!

Should have gone all manual..

you have a nifty fifty...

hmmmm i am wondering about you more and more...

:P

as for the Av mode... you still would have known what speed it was shooting at and known if you could or could not have held it...

even at F1.8....

do some tests its the only way of knowing for sure how much you can hand hold, or pan with!

M

#78 Siddr20

Posted 08 October 2008 - 04:03 PM

hahahha what you mean wondering about me more and more? lol

I dont get it :( hahahahahaha

Yea i knew the speeds it was registering with, but it just didnt click into my head :(

I was enjoying the dances more lol..

Dont worry i learnt my lesson.. Only way to learn i guess :)

#79 oRiCLe

• Car:Silvia S13

Posted 08 October 2008 - 09:02 PM

f1.8 doing dancing shots, the nifty 50 has a bit of trouble focusing at the best of times, especially at 1.8, focus would have had to have been spot on to get the dancer sharp wouldnt it?

#80 Camel Toe

Posted 08 October 2008 - 10:03 PM

I have 10 gigs of SD Cards to get rid off

1 4gig normal speed

1 2gig high speed

1 4gig Sandisk Ultra II - more pro level high speed card

$40 for the lot!

#81 Siddr20

Posted 09 October 2008 - 06:42 AM

oRiCLe, on Oct 8 2008, 10:45 PM, said:

f1.8 doing dancing shots, the nifty 50 has a bit of trouble focusing at the best of times, especially at 1.8, focus would have had to have been spot on to get the dancer sharp wouldnt it?

Dont worry i learn t my lesson!! :(

Plus i was pretty close to the subject so i thought it would have suited it well..

#82 dunn

• Car:32 4door s2 RB25

Posted 09 October 2008 - 10:42 AM

camel toe i'l take the lot, how old are they? also where you work do you have much in the way of decent 2nd hand lenses coming through?

#83 Siddr20

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:12 AM

40 bucks is cheap :)

IF it was CF cards i would have bought them!!

#84 Camel Toe

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:16 AM

Hey Dunn just sent u a PM :)

forgot to tell u that the 2 gig is about 2 yrs old, the 4 gig normal just over 1 yr, and the Ultra II is about 6 months

#85 Camel Toe

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:24 AM

Oh yeah

guys check out www.thevodkabar.com.au

I did the photography for the new Vodka Bar website 2 months ago - check out the galleries of the diff rooms

if anyone can guess which lens I used I will give them a 5D to borrow for a month lol

#86 Liesha

• Car:99" JDM S15 Spec R

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:26 AM

i'm hopefully goin for the new nikon d90.. alotta money... not so sure how much.. i'm just assuming..

but yeh would love to try it out with the new video feature in an slr...

#87 Liesha

• Car:99" JDM S15 Spec R

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:28 AM

Camel Toe, on Oct 9 2008, 11:37 AM, said:

Oh yeah

guys check out www.thevodkabar.com.au

I did the photography for the new Vodka Bar website 2 months ago - check out the galleries of the diff rooms

if anyone can guess which lens I used I will give them a 5D to borrow for a month lol
i'd guess an 18 to 55m.. but i dont know how much detail u wanna know bout the lense.. like whether it had a filter on it etc..

but my guess is the 55m lense

#88 Camel Toe

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:47 AM

Close guess! but not quite there yet. Its a Sigma lens btw

the D90 is a fantastic camera for enthusiasts and serve as a good back up for pros as well. U will find the noise is even better than the D300 at high ISO. Its retailing for $1499 in stores but I can get it for u for over 100 less I think, but will have to confirm. Nikon Australia warranty not grey import online stores that are doing it for $1375 body only.

#89 Siddr20

Posted 09 October 2008 - 12:55 PM

OMG i love those ICE BAR photos!!!

Great work.. Stunning i should say :)

Sigma 17-70mm lens?? But you sold it so cant be it.. hmm my next guess is sigma 18-50 macros lens??

Btw that fruit shot.. Howd you take that photo? what was the setup!! i love it

#90 Camel Toe

Posted 09 October 2008 - 01:44 PM

LOL yeah it was the Sigma 17-70 :lol:

I used it because of the versatility in its near macro mode, and also its not an ultra wide angle, using something ultra wide is misleading to the clientele - when they rock up after seeing the pics they will think the rooms are smaller than they appear before. Ive heard that too many times and experienced it myself as well whenever I book for hotels, piss me off!

Umm nothing special about the fruit shot or anything, just straight flash bounce into the ceiling!

and for the ice shot i just shoved the lens into the bar fridge hehehe, the close focusing ability of the Sigma is very beneficial as it will focus an inch from the subject

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!