Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
Ringing turbo and squeaking/chirping wheel.. - Hardtuned.net

Ringing turbo and squeaking/chirping wheel.. 

squeak rattle chirp ringing noise bushes turbo wheel
9 replies to this topic

#1 S15_Goldy

• Car:S15 200sx ADM

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:02 PM

I have 2 unusual noises coming from my S15.

One is a "ringing" sorta noise coming from the turbo (noise continues for about 15 - 20 seconds after turning off the engine) and one is a "squeak" or "chirp" with every wheel rotation from one rear wheel... This only started when I got new brake pads. I took it back to the guys that installed the pads and they said it was a rock but the noise seems to be getting a bit louder each day. Doesnt matter whether the car is cold, warm or hot for either of the noises.

I have heard that it may be the bearings in the turbo and the rear bushes being dry/worn? Any opinions/suggestions?

Thanks in advance, Sam.

#2 200sxs14asr20det

• Car:Nissan 200sx

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:13 PM

have you a got a ballbearing turbo? it still spins once you turn of your car for 15 - 20 seconds

#3 SinglePegaz

• Car:S15 Autech

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:39 PM

is the squealing under braking? or constant ?

#4 S15_Goldy

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:07 PM

Yeah I have a ball bearing GT28RS (disco potato? Why do they call them that..?) and I've always been able to hear it spinning after turning the engine off, but now it has a very distinct 'ring' to it, like little bells.

Squeak from the wheel stops when I touch the brake and is loudest when doing under 10km/h, like in a car park. The faster I go, the quieter it gets.

#5 Strewth01

• Car:180sx

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:12 PM

Shaft play in turbo? Wheel might be rubbing on the housing.

Edited by Strewth01, 22 May 2012 - 10:13 PM.

#6 S15_Goldy

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:00 AM

Watched a few videos on shaft play, seems to be a similar ring, but nowhere near as clunky or rough sounding.

Anyone got any ideas on the squeaky wheel? I'd upload a recording of it, but this site won't let me.

#7 S15_Goldy

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:29 AM

Any suggestions as to who I could take it to to get looked at?

I don't really want to go back to where I was last, as I am loosing confidence in them. I will not name and shame them, as I cannot confirm what the problems are at this stage, and if they are in any way responsible for them.

#8 S15_Goldy

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:02 AM

Turbo is gone. Started whining really loud this morning. Rebuild or replace my GT28RS?

#9 Barbie princess

• Car:180sx

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:17 AM

Cheaper to replace with a secondhand one, or have the peace of mind with a rebuilt one.

#10 SinglePegaz

• Car:S15 Autech

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:55 AM

did you replace the rotors or was it just new pads thrown in, sometimes after market pads without new rotors or a disc machine will squeel
If you can pull the pads out and de-glaze them, so get some course sandpaper and give it a sand also take 1-2mm off the side all the way around on 45 degree angle
if not telly our local mechanic to de-glaze pads

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!