Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
Kettlebells. - Hardtuned.net

Kettlebells. 

11 replies to this topic

#1 Chidge

• Car:3 SP25GT

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:01 PM

Hey hows it going,

Just a quick question about using kettlebells. Im thinking of buying a couple to just break up my work out a bit and ive read they can be used as a good cardio workout as well as adding a bit of lean muscle at the same time. Im down for that.

Ive been looking at getting a set from www.kettlebells.com.au but im not too sure if i should buy into the marketing, they are an expensive bit of kit, but are they (all the different brands) all created equal? Because i know you can get them cheaper from eBay etc But in saying that, i dont mind paying the extra if its actually worth the money.

So yeah, share your experiences with them, if you think they are worth the money etc. Also any good workouts that you have had gains with. I know of a few of the basic ones, but if you know a few more that are killers im all ears Posted Image

Thanks guys

#2 TougeR34

• Car:R34 GTT

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:06 PM

I find them useful until you get to a rather large size.. then i find them almost un-usable.. due to them hitting my arm/wrists.. however i havent done weights in ages =\
Id just get one with the sprayed on rubber/silicone grip so that they are easy to clean, what its filled with imho shouldnt matter much.

#3 Chidge

Posted 22 June 2011 - 07:22 PM

Yeah I would be starting off with a 16 and 24kg. The website i mentioned sell them together for $180. I think they are actually solid iron. But this is what I mean about the marketing, the say they are egronomically designed so that they don't slap on your wrists/forearms etc Which is what is persuading me towards that brand, as if the cheaper ones are going to give me injuries, then no thanks.

#4 S3 TRXTC

• Car:banana

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:43 PM

bit of a nooby question maybe but whats the benefit over just a dumbell say? and is it worth the extra expense?

#5 eclipse492

• Car:S13

Posted 22 June 2011 - 11:04 PM

I'd say worth getting. $180 for some equipment you can use forever isnt much, they are useful. Good choice of sizes too. I just do some basic KB stuff on top of my normal lifting (mainly just swings, cleans, snatches etc) and find its a good way to work stabilizers and give you a full body functional strength type workout. Theres plenty you can do with them.

And S3 TRXTC, its mainy range and fluidity of motion for kettlebells, the way the weight sits just makes them better than DBs for certain things. Pick 5 KB exercises, bang out 10 reps of each, then do the same with a dumbell. Its doable (sorta) but you'll feel pretty special trying and have to adjust form etc...

#6 ragoul?

• Car:S13

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:43 AM

If you have to ask...then no, don't use them. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be a pr1ck.
Kettlebells are a very advanced exercise as they put an insane amount of strain on your rotator cuffs (supraspinatus especially) in unstable positions.

You must have a very, very keen sense of stabilising postures before you attempt exercises like these, in order for them to be effective and not damaging.
Do some research on techniques and postures or speak to a good PT before you try them.

Once you fark up your shoulder, it's for life...believe me I knowPosted Image

#7 Stupified

• Car:VX SS

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:48 AM

Kettlebells are one of the most overlooked training tools out there.

UDL's off blocks with a 64kg KB for max reps will leave you throwing up - they are brilliant.

Single/2 handed swings is also something that will leave you hurting for days - they are also briliant.

The amount of different complexes and circuits you can do with kettlebells is endless, they are great for cardio that will burn fat and add muscle.

Smash them 3-4 times per week.

An example would be:

8kg Thrusters x 20
32kg Golblet Squats x 15
32kg 2handed Swings x 15
32kg Cannonballs x 15 (each arm)
64kg UDLs off Blocks x Max reps

I assure you that if you where to do this, you would be absolutely fkd afterwards.

You could set it up so that you time yourself and each time you do it, try to beat your time.

When it starts getting easy you can increase the weights used or cycle through it twice.

Endless amounts of fun to be had with Kettlebells!

#8 Guest_Mad dog renegade_*

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:55 AM

I had all of them from 4-64kg. Each time they were dropped, they took chunks of concrete out of my garage/driveway and did no damage to the kbs themselves, don't skimp on them, whatever you do!

#9 J12

• Car:180sx

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:37 PM

They are pretty expensive, but i knew a guy who used them all the time, he got them for cheap off a karate website or something. And he knew how to do quite a few exercises, but was mainly concerned with keeping fit than bodybuilding. Im going to buy some to train with sometime down the track, i think theyd be good to mix up with normal weights to change the routine a bit, but i wouldnt rely on them for every day use

Exercise wise though, there is a bit, but i find it awkward holding the kettle bells, i dont have the largest hands maybe that why, maybe not. Maybe im just not used to them

http://www.bodybuild...kettlebells.htm

#10 Chidge

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:34 PM

View Posteclipse492, on 22 June 2011 - 11:04 PM, said:

I'd say worth getting. $180 for some equipment you can use forever isnt much, they are useful. Good choice of sizes too. I just do some basic KB stuff on top of my normal lifting (mainly just swings, cleans, snatches etc) and find its a good way to work stabilizers and give you a full body functional strength type workout. Theres plenty you can do with them.

Very good point. Wouldnt want to skimp on something that should last for a long time to come..

View Postragoul?, on 23 June 2011 - 02:43 AM, said:

If you have to ask...then no, don't use them. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be a pr1ck.
Kettlebells are a very advanced exercise as they put an insane amount of strain on your rotator cuffs (supraspinatus especially) in unstable positions.

You must have a very, very keen sense of stabilising postures before you attempt exercises like these, in order for them to be effective and not damaging.
Do some research on techniques and postures or speak to a good PT before you try them.

Once you fark up your shoulder, it's for life...believe me I knowPosted Image

Yeah i was planning to actually get a PT to go through proper technique with me before i just went all out at home. Cant afford to be injured..

View PostStupified, on 23 June 2011 - 07:48 AM, said:

Kettlebells are one of the most overlooked training tools out there.

UDL's off blocks with a 64kg KB for max reps will leave you throwing up - they are brilliant.

Single/2 handed swings is also something that will leave you hurting for days - they are also briliant.

The amount of different complexes and circuits you can do with kettlebells is endless, they are great for cardio that will burn fat and add muscle.

Smash them 3-4 times per week.

An example would be:

8kg Thrusters x 20
32kg Golblet Squats x 15
32kg 2handed Swings x 15
32kg Cannonballs x 15 (each arm)
64kg UDLs off Blocks x Max reps

I assure you that if you where to do this, you would be absolutely fkd afterwards.

You could set it up so that you time yourself and each time you do it, try to beat your time.

When it starts getting easy you can increase the weights used or cycle through it twice.

Endless amounts of fun to be had with Kettlebells!

Awesome post dude. Cheers for the info Posted Image

-------------------------------

Yeah i was never planning on using them as my sole source of training. But rather just to break things up a bit and make it interesting and as i said before can use them for cardio as well, so thats a bonus.

Thanks heaps for the help guys. Appreciate it.

Luke

#11 steveP

• Car:Galant VR4

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:48 PM

Reviving an old thread.

Been interested into giving kettlebells a go, but they are pretty expensive. $60 for a 12KG KB.

Does anyone know where to get them for a decent price?

Edited by steveP, 23 October 2012 - 02:49 PM.

#12 Pervy

• Car:S14a

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:12 PM

Try:

http://www.gymandfit...ettlebells.html
They have a showroom in Adelaide now.

http://www.kettlebel...ttlebell-range/
Use coupon code: PTC to get 10% off

http://www.gymdirect...ttlebell/37.htm

Southern Workout at Lonsdale and Black Forest sell them too, they don't list prices on their site.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!