Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
Supplement Reviews - Hardtuned.net - Page 2

Supplement Reviews 

supplement review
250 replies to this topic

#31 Rocky88

• Car:JK Rubicon

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:42 PM

View Post180_mph, on 21 June 2012 - 03:48 PM, said:

There's no doubt supplements do work.
However, apart from the caffeine hit(which can be a great thing) of a preworkout, there's not much else it does, apart from give you a bit of a pump from the arginine.
Unless you are a serious athlete who devotes each day to your chosen sport, i dont think many of us will see benefits from them.
Protein can be great, if you aren't getting protein in your diet. But if you are gettting enough in your diet, then it's not needed.
And let's be honest here, no one in here needs 350g of protein a day(unless we have ronnie lurking somewhere)

So much nonsense there I don't know where to start. If you are an athlete you are least likely to take pre-workouts because DMAA is banned in pretty much all sports. And while most pws contain some caffeine the main active ingredients are DMAA and PEA. But I have to agree with steveP, if you take them on almost daily basis your body will develop a tolerance to them, so it's best to only use them when needed if you feel a need to use them at all.
Protein powder discussions have been done to death so no point in starting the argument over again, but unless you have the strictest diet it's always good to get that bit of extra protein intake into your day.

Edited by Rocky88, 21 June 2012 - 04:43 PM.

#32 180_mph

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:09 PM

I was talking about athletes and all supplements my friend. ie protein powder, caffeine, vitamins, minerals, creatine, glucose etc etc, not just preworkouts.
You don't have to be strict to get enough protein in your diet, you just have to eat. And i did stipulate if you can't get enough for whatever reason then protein powder can be good,
so read it again.
The main active ingredient in all stimulate preworkouts has always been caffeine, dmaa was only starting to be used after 06 in a handful of preworkouts and that was just an addition to the caffeine already in pws.
What other nonsense is there?

#33 Rocky88

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:46 PM

Nah all good, i just misunderstood your post

#34 -**wHiStLe**-

• Car:S15, R32, R33

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:20 PM

You guys say Assault is good.
Reading review but they're all from 08/09.
Currently taking mesomorph.

How does it compare?
I generally have a high tolerance of pws'.
Had to take 1.5 scoops of meso straight up to get effect.

#35 Wrexy

• Car:Lexus IS250

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:37 AM

I have assault at the moment and it only worked well the first time. I doubled up and would have felt more from coffee.

My best experiences were from no explode

#36 Dr. Cranium

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:19 AM

Man these companies make money hand over fist. Would cost almost nothing to make this stuff, yet people pay hundreds for it!

#37 -**wHiStLe**-

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:37 AM

I used No Explode a while ago and it did that to me (only worked 1st time).
Mesomorph seems to work every time.

#38 SRS13

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:18 AM

I paid $29.95 US for my Assault.

Lol - it seems everyone has different experiences with each. I am still only taking 1 scoop of Assault, and am onto my second tub (however I changed flavours for a little variety (and as crazy as that sounds, it works)

How are you guys using the pre-workout, are you taking it after a meal??

I think you should take the pre on an empty stomach 20 mniutes prior to workout however you should not eat anything before for at least 1hr but ideally 1.5 to 2hrs before workout. I would have a fruit (apple/banana) or a protein shake 1.5-2hrs before workout and then the pre 20 minutes before I workout. I feel this gives the best results. If I eat too late and then use the pre I dont get the best result from it.

#39 -**wHiStLe**-

Posted 22 June 2012 - 10:50 AM

I always take creatine or pws fasted just out of routine from ethyl ester needing to.

#40 Wrexy

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:12 PM

I wake up, have pre work out drink, and then go gym

paid 34.99 for mine:
http://www.bodybuild...rm/assault.html

will try Mesomorph next

#41 DeluxeJZS

• Car:95 JZS147 Aristo

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:58 PM

I find cycling on and off for 2-3 weeks on and 2-3 weeks off with Pre Workouts the best, but hey, thats just me, maybe different for someone else!! Also keen to try Craze which dont have DMAA, and see how that stacks up to Mesomorph and the like of which ive tried!

#42 earlyreflections

• Car:S15 Spec R

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:42 PM

I just got a 2.3kg tub of ON WHEY 100% Gold Standard - Extreme Choc Milk, gotta say one of the best tasting protein powders I've tried so far and mixed really easily!! Big thumbs up! (Mixed with milk)

#43 Shark

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:03 PM

Thread name should pretty much be changed to "The pre-workout discussion thread" now.

#44 Rocky88

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:05 PM

View PostShark, on 23 June 2012 - 09:03 PM, said:

Thread name should pretty much be changed to "The pre-workout discussion thread" now.

It's always been destined to end up here lol

#45 free_state

• Car:s13 ca18det

Posted 24 June 2012 - 01:02 PM

This websites worth a look got heaps of reviews on different protein powders..

http://www.proteinpowder.net/

I'm currently taking syntha-6 , seems pretty good so far , bit expensive , anyone else tried it ? Also just ordered me some orange triad so will see how that goes :thumbsup:

Edited by free_state, 24 June 2012 - 01:16 PM.

#46 Shark

Posted 24 June 2012 - 02:33 PM

Went into a supplement store today to buy some creatine.
Went to the counter and conversation went something like..

Bro: Have you used this before?
Me: Not this brand, but I use creatine.
Bro: ok, do you know how to use it? how do you usually use it?
Me: Yeh.. what? .. like normal.. is this brand different or something?
Bro: Ok well yeah, I just wanna make sure you're using it properley. Do you put it in water?
Me: Yes.
Bro: Well you know that your body doesn't absorb the creatine if you drink it in water right?
Me: What? ..
:rolleyes:
Bro: Yeah.. when you use it, put it in fruit juice like apple juice, because of the sugars, and it has a higher carb content, and will cause an insulin spike which will FORCE the creatine into your muscles.
Me:
:blink: ok.
Bro: You might want to try some of the other pre-mixed formulas like CELLTECH which are probably easier for you without having to mix the creatine yourself.. they have creatine, L-glutamine, and BCAAs in them.
Me: Nah I'll just take the creatine.
Bro: That'll be $x
Me: Thanks.

I honestly didn't know whether to laugh.. or actually tell him that I didn't care for bro-science.. or what. In the end I just "blank-faced" and walked out.

Edited by Shark, 24 June 2012 - 02:36 PM.

#47 180_mph

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:21 PM

Umm......yeah, he is absolutely right, and was actually giving you sound advice.
For your body to actually absorb creatine efficiently you need an insulin spike, ie take it with glucose, fruit juice.....something sugary.
This is why most creatine blends have carbohydrates mixed in with them.

When you body has raised insulin levels it absorbs nutrients quicker and more efficiently. Same reason why people put glucose in post workout shakes, although your insulin
is usually higher after a workout anyway.
It's why alot of diabetics struggle with their weight.

#48 Shark

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:51 PM

View Post180_mph, on 24 June 2012 - 04:21 PM, said:

Umm......yeah, he is absolutely right, and was actually giving you sound advice.
Right. Because if I use water, "creatine will not be absorbed into the body at all and you are just wasting the product."
Ok man.. ok.
Should I mix it with glucose/dextrose aswell then? Mad insulin spike for max gains yo.

edit: I'm guessing you don't know my diet, or when I take it either :lol:

I think those who work in supplement shops should actually be giving out proper information, rather than sugarcoating the topic (lol) and trying to palm off other more expensive products.

Edited by Shark, 24 June 2012 - 05:06 PM.

#49 ChiefStudly

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:00 PM

I always take creatine with apple juice, I hate taking it with just water tastes like crushed up panadol.
What creatine do you guys use? I am going to get some soon because I am almost out and want to try something else. Not looking for a mix like in a pre-workout just creatine.

#50 Wrexy

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:13 PM

I liked the red bak brand creatine. Think I used to mix it with my protein powder lol that was about 6 years ago. I'll probly see if muscle pharm make creatine and buy that

#51 180_mph

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:36 PM

View PostShark, on 24 June 2012 - 04:51 PM, said:

Right. Because if I use water, "creatine will not be absorbed into the body at all and you are just wasting the product." Ok man.. ok. Should I mix it with glucose/dextrose aswell then? Mad insulin spike for max gains yo. edit: I'm guessing you don't know my diet, or when I take it either :lol: I think those who work in supplement shops should actually be giving out proper information, rather than sugarcoating the topic (lol) and trying to palm off other more expensive products.

Mate i dont give two hoots about your diet.
Fact of the matter is an insulin spike will result in your body absorbing more nutrients. Ofcourse your body will absorb nutrients without an insulin spike, that's a given.
the "not at all" part you talk about wasn't in your original post so you can't expect me to read your mind can you?

#52 Shark

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:41 PM

View PostShark, on 24 June 2012 - 02:33 PM, said:

Went into a supplement store today to buy some creatine.
Went to the counter and conversation went something like..

Bro: Have you used this before?
Me: Not this brand, but I use creatine.
Bro: ok, do you know how to use it? how do you usually use it?
Me: Yeh.. what? .. like normal.. is this brand different or something?
Bro: Ok well yeah, I just wanna make sure you're using it properley. Do you put it in water?
Me: Yes.
Bro: Well you know that your body doesn't absorb the creatine if you drink it in water right?
Me: What? ..
:rolleyes:
Bro: Yeah.. when you use it, put it in fruit juice like apple juice, because of the sugars, and it has a higher carb content, and will cause an insulin spike which will FORCE the creatine into your muscles.
Me:
:blink: ok.
Bro: You might want to try some of the other pre-mixed formulas like CELLTECH which are probably easier for you without having to mix the creatine yourself.. they have creatine, L-glutamine, and BCAAs in them.
Me: Nah I'll just take the creatine.
Bro: That'll be $x
Me: Thanks.

I honestly didn't know whether to laugh.. or actually tell him that I didn't care for bro-science.. or what. In the end I just "blank-faced" and walked out.
errr

Edited by Shark, 24 June 2012 - 05:43 PM.

#53 Shark

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:43 PM

View Post180_mph, on 24 June 2012 - 05:36 PM, said:

Right. Because if I use water, "creatine will not be absorbed into the body at all and you are just wasting the product." Ok man.. ok. Should I mix it with glucose/dextrose aswell then? Mad insulin spike for max gains yo. edit: I'm guessing you don't know my diet, or when I take it either Posted Image I think those who work in supplement shops should actually be giving out proper information, rather than sugarcoating the topic (lol) and trying to palm off other more expensive products.

Mate i dont give two hoots about your diet.
Fact of the matter is an insulin spike will result in your body absorbing more nutrients. Ofcourse your body will absorb nutrients without an insulin spike, that's a given.
the "not at all" part you talk about wasn't in your original post so you can't expect me to read your mind can you?
Is there a difference between you stating that it absorbs nutrients "quicker and more efficiently" in your first response.. and you then saying it absorbs "more nutrients" in your second response?
Or do they mean the same thing?

Edited by Shark, 24 June 2012 - 05:44 PM.

#54 180_mph

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:46 PM

absorbs nutrients quicker which allows more to be asborbed.
I read it again but couldn't find the "not at all" part still????

#55 Shark

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:48 PM

mmk.

:lol:

#56 180_mph

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:55 PM

no matter what he meant, i mean, who cares really, at the end of the day sugar is good for absorbing nutrients.
If you can afford to take sugar other than post workout, then i would definately.

#57 Shark

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:58 PM

I believe you.
But saying it like that, and stating the reasoning behind that is much more understandable.
Rather than asserting your 'knowledge' as a bodybuilder working at a supplement store, and telling me that creatine won't work if I drink it with water. (Hence my post)

Edited by Shark, 24 June 2012 - 05:58 PM.

#58 -**wHiStLe**-

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:32 PM

View Postearlyreflections, on 22 June 2012 - 05:42 PM, said:

I just got a 2.3kg tub of ON WHEY 100% Gold Standard - Extreme Choc Milk, gotta say one of the best tasting protein powders I've tried so far and mixed really easily!! Big thumbs up! (Mixed with milk)

Used Musashi for the 1st time I ever used protein powder.
Then tried 100% Gold and used ever since.
I get the bulk bags, cheap and good.

#59 Meticulous

• Car:S13

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:53 AM

View PostShark, on 24 June 2012 - 05:43 PM, said:

View Post180_mph, on 24 June 2012 - 05:36 PM, said:

Right. Because if I use water, "creatine will not be absorbed into the body at all and you are just wasting the product." Ok man.. ok. Should I mix it with glucose/dextrose aswell then? Mad insulin spike for max gains yo. edit: I'm guessing you don't know my diet, or when I take it either :lol: I think those who work in supplement shops should actually be giving out proper information, rather than sugarcoating the topic (lol) and trying to palm off other more expensive products.
Mate i dont give two hoots about your diet. Fact of the matter is an insulin spike will result in your body absorbing more nutrients. Ofcourse your body will absorb nutrients without an insulin spike, that's a given. the "not at all" part you talk about wasn't in your original post so you can't expect me to read your mind can you?
Is there a difference between you stating that it absorbs nutrients "quicker and more efficiently" in your first response.. and you then saying it absorbs "more nutrients" in your second response? Or do they mean the same thing?

The whole creatine doesn't work with water is made on the basis that creatine turns into creatinine upon being saturated (not instantly), creatinine is useless to your body so it's better to consume it with minimal water.

To be honest I just spoon it into my mouth and eat red frogs, works for me.

#60 Shark

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:14 PM

I'm not sure I understand that.

Are you saying that by the time I apply water to my creatine in a shaker, and drink it in a few minutes, that it will no longer be creatine, but creatinine?
Or that it will break down into creatinine in my gut, before it has a chance to be absorbed?

I honestly just don't see how it could make that much of a difference.
What if I have carbs before I drink it in water? :lol:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!