Warning: Illegal string offset 'html' in /home/nissansi/public_html/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_1/skin_topic.php on line 907
Deadlifts - How to break that plateau? - Hardtuned.net

Deadlifts - How to break that plateau? 

deadlifts plateau fitness lifting
45 replies to this topic

#1 Dose Pipe Sutututu

• Car:Boat Sutututuutu

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:56 AM

Hello Gym Enthusiasts!

So lately I've been plateauing with deadlifts, I can't get any stronger nor can I lift past the same weight for the past 4 months. I've been trying and trying but buckle at 150kg

Details:
84.5kg heavy
184cm tall
Asian
Small Bones
Bench 100kg @ 6~8 reps, 110kg @ 4~5 reps with a gentle spot
Squat 90kg @ 6~8 reps (I know I know, pathetic)
Deadlift 140kg 4~6 reps (hitting ground and back up)
Deadlift 120kg 6~8 reps (without touching the ground)

I consume enough protein, 1x shake in the morning, 1x after gym, 1x casein before bed.
10am - tuna eggs or tuna
4pm - tuna eggs or tuna
usual lunch & dinners

I'm aiming to deadlift 6~8 reps at 160kg, bench 140kg, squat 120kg. Having shiet genetics (small bones, ching chong) am I being unrealistic? I thought about jabbing, but there are too many downsides so I'll stay natural.

What are you thoughts guys/girls?

Oh I've been training for 5 years, I started off not being able to even bench 40kg without dropping the bar on my chest, not even being able to deadlift 40kgs

#2 steveP

• Car:Galant VR4

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:14 AM

What's the limiting factor with your squats? It'll either be your legs, lower back or hip flexor, all which are used for deadlifts as well.

I would focus more on getting your squats on par with your deadlifts. They will help each other out.

I've found when going heavy and trying to increase, go up in small increments. If you're already lifting 140KG+, what's another 1-2kgs? You might get one less rep, but your body will get used to the heavier weight.

Also, how many sets do you do of 6-8 reps?

Edited by steveP, 10 May 2013 - 11:15 AM.

#3 Dose Pipe Sutututu

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:22 PM

I have been neglecting squats for a while, I started getting back into and doing them weekly. I'm buckling on 2x sets of 90kg these days (old age showing)

In terms of deadlifts, here's my usual warm up to max.

I will include bar in the weight:

20kg - 1 set of 20 reps
60kg - 1 set of 10
80kg - 1 set of 10
100kg - 1 set of 10
120 - 1 set of 8
140 - 2 sets of 4~8 (depends on how tired I am)
150 - 1 set of like 2~3 :(

#4 pur40m

• Car:180sx

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:36 PM

Start doing rack pulls where the bar is just below the knee
Should be able to overload the weight on that exercise which in turn will help your top half of your deadlift.
Do you do much leg workouts? As you need them for the bottom half of the deadlift and starting

#5 pur40m

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:45 PM

Also try not to do toomany warm up sets as youll be tired by the time you do the working sets
I usually start at
60kg 8-10 reps
100kg 8-10 reps
140kg 8-10 reps
160kg 6-8 reps
180kg 3reps
And I usually try a 1rm and if I'm feeling good ill go back down
160kg
140kg
100kg

#6 Marko

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:38 AM

the hardest part is getting it off the floor so i dont see much point doing rack lifts. work on your squats because you really need a lot of legs to get the lift moving. what i found with my deadlifts was actually stopping and resetting before the next rep which will help with that initial burst. dont just bounce the weight off the floor and get the help from the bouncing.

my stats are 78kg
5-6 reps @ 165kg x 2 sets
1RM 210kg with a belt, 195kg without

seems like your doing too many sets in your build up to the max working set. i like to do a set at 60kg x 10 and then 100kg x 3 then 140kg x 3.
really try and use your legs as much as possible and dont straighten your legs too early leaving you bent at the waist and then killing your back to lock out

#7 pur40m

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:18 AM

View PostMarko, on 11 May 2013 - 04:38 AM, said:

the hardest part is getting it off the floor so i dont see much point doing rack lifts. work on your squats because you really need a lot of legs to get the lift moving. what i found with my deadlifts was actually stopping and resetting before the next rep which will help with that initial burst. dont just bounce the weight off the floor and get the help from the bouncing.

my stats are 78kg
5-6 reps @ 165kg x 2 sets
1RM 210kg with a belt, 195kg without

seems like your doing too many sets in your build up to the max working set. i like to do a set at 60kg x 10 and then 100kg x 3 then 140kg x 3.
really try and use your legs as much as possible and dont straighten your legs too early leaving you bent at the waist and then killing your back to lock out
Seems like more a powerlifting routine but I'll try that on my next few sessions and see If the weights go up
Only thing is my squats ain't the best the most I've done is 4reps of 110kg how close should they be to your deadlift?

#8 OLiK

Posted 11 May 2013 - 02:57 PM

try and make your squat and deadlift bigger than your bench.

if you want to improve on a lift just do more of them. twice a week if possible. try and do your big exercises at the start of your workout when youre not as fatigued. try lower reps with bigger weight maybe even take a longer break.

#9 Dr. Cranium

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:26 PM

Squat more, stop deadlifting and do stiff leg deadlifts and deficit deadlifts.

You shouldn't plateau at 150kg, there is a weakness somewhere that needs to be fixed. Post up a video.

#10 Dr. Cranium

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:27 PM

I don't mean to be rude, but after 5 years you should be deadlifting a whole lot more than 150kg at 85kg. Something is lacking, and i'm telling you now it's not genetics, either your training, diet or recovery needs work.

#11 Dose Pipe Sutututu

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:56 AM

View PostDr. Cranium, on 12 May 2013 - 08:27 PM, said:

I don't mean to be rude, but after 5 years you should be deadlifting a whole lot more than 150kg at 85kg. Something is lacking, and i'm telling you now it's not genetics, either your training, diet or recovery needs work.

I think maybe recovery, I sleep about 12:30am each night and wake up around 7am.. not to mention I usually am drunk most Friday nights (I know I know... bad excuse).

My workout (usually)

Monday (squats, legs)
Tuesday (chest)
Thursday (deadlifts, back)
Saturday (shoulders)
Sunday (sometimes, a bit of everything and cardio)

I'll definitely take the less warmup advice and also pick up my game on the squat department. I must admit, my legs suck.. I barely can carry my mates on my shoulders at festivals.

#12 Stuss15

• Car:2000

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:31 PM

Caring ya mates at festivals is super important aha. The guys have given some good advice. One other thing to ad to the mix is every third week look at doing higher intensity to target different muscle fibre groups. So drop the weight a little up the reps, superset n dropset even with other leg exercises. This will increase muscle indurance and also increase cardio which will definetly help with getting past your pleatu. Training for 12yrs never done steroids as I value my testicals and I'm hairy enough lol

#13 Goliath101

• Car:99 S14a

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:26 PM

Hit the German Volume Training up. Did wonders for all my lifts. I did it for around 8 weeks, never sweat so much in my life!

Basically 60% 1RM 10x10 with 60-90 seconds rest. You do not have to do much other exercises with this due to the intensity, but I did. Recently started back in to some heavy 5x5 strength training and pulled 220kg x 5 Deadlift today without prolasping :)

I'm also doubling up on back and leg sessions, can't warrant 2 chest sessions.
Mon - Legs
Tues - Back/bis
Weds - Chest/tris
Thurs - Legs
Fri - Back
Sat - Shoulders/arms
Sun - Core/cardio

#14 Dose Pipe Sutututu

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:00 PM

revisiting an old post :)

So yeah not much has changed since I posted up a year ago, however I've stopped smoking completely and my diet is probably worse haha...

Been pretty busy with my career and other shit plus working on my car so haven't spent too much timing on the training department. I was averaging two trips to the gym a week.

Since it's getting colder, I thought I would start getting back into shape starting this week. Hopefully I can take the wisdom here and put it into practice and see some real gains. Since we last spoke, I'm now squatting even less & benching less.. 80kg and 90kg respectively.

Give it a month, I'll report back :)

#15 japcarcrazy

• Car:s13

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:18 AM

Hey mate, Hope progress is coming along well!

Don't be too hard on yourself about your lifts. They aren't that bad if you have good form and 5 years is actually fairly short amount of time to be lifting. So well done!

Sometimes people achieve their big lifts by cheating like elbows flaring/chest bouncing bar bench, chest folding onto knee half squats and full body BB rows! One thing I would suggest is mix up your diet as you maybe eat too much tuna at the expense of other meats. Just cook some chicken, pork, beef, lamb, marinade if you want and freeze them. It's not just the protein that's important in meat.

If size is your goal mix up your routine from maybe 5X5 to a higher rep 3X10-12 ever 6 weeks or so. If bigger lifts are your goal adding a bit of fat should make it a bit easier. Try training less if your partying/stressed/not sleeping/eating well. I hate doing it too but most likely it's hindering your progress. If you want to jab just make sure you have a good idea of PCT but at least make sure you have lower testosterone first because then you don't really have as much to lose.

Edited by japcarcrazy, 15 July 2014 - 09:26 AM.

#16 Dose Pipe Sutututu

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:58 AM

thanks for the kind words!

starting getting back into it only just last month and I have progressed to 160kg deadlifts @ 4 reps, I can do 150kg @ 6 reps - however this is just one set with a belt.

Just the Saturday that just passed.
2x 20 rep sets - bar weight - warm up / no cardio
1x 10 rep set - 60kg
1x 10 rep set - 100kg
1x 6 rep set - 140kg (belt on)
1x 6 rep set - 150kg (belt on)
1x 4 rep set - 160kg (belt on)
1x 6~8 rep set - 100kg (belt off)

#17 japcarcrazy

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:42 AM

Gotta be happy with that, nice work man!

#18 Dose Pipe Sutututu

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:44 AM

Goal is to hit 180kg (which is a touch double my weight)
I would be very happy with that!

Still need to work on the diet, I stopped taking supps (protein, casein, pre workout/multi vitamins).. funds have been a touch tight and I put that leisure money towards to the car instead so I could bake tyres LOL

Eventually that will pick up once funds are moving again.

I still need to train consistently..which is proving a little hard in winter as by the time I get home I get super lazy. Last night I ate 1/5 tub of icecream followed by 3 slices of left over pizza (this is all after dinner). Dinner was 2x brown rice sushi raw salmon rolls and a healthy vege rice paper roll I bought at the train station.

#19 pmod

• Car:Fruity 180sx

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:52 AM

I'd be reasonably confident you can hit your goals John. At present I'm also 30yo, weigh 75.5kg atm (previously 74kg), 178cm tall, and my max single raw dead (bare hands no belt) is 220kg locked, 234kg up but just outside locked (I have a habit of straightening too soon because I'm a noob). Never smoked or taken any drugs, be it recreational or jabs. Reps tend to be 5x160 or 5x180.

I can't give any lifting-specific advice as I really don't fit the trend, but I'd suggest you consider diversifying your training John. My training prior to trying deadlifts for the first time was almost entirely middle-distance running, judo, gymnastic tumbling and parkour, and I got 220kg up and locked on my 6th deadlift session (spent the first 3 sessions learning the technique). The deadlift hits the core, quads, hamstrings and nervous system a fair bit, so imo there's benefit to be had from alternative leg strength sessions like hill/steps/sand sprints, in additional to the usual lifts.

I'd also suggest you consider your use of the belt for your current working weights. If it's needed for safety then by all means use it, but start doing core workouts each day until it isn't needed at all at 160kg or less. I've never used a lifting belt in my life, and my core isn't even strong enough to hold a Front Lever :(

You also do a lot of warmup reps as already stated. Everyone is different, but my personal preference is to do a set or two of pullups, then a 10x100kg dead, then do 1x2 in 20kg increments until I hit the working weight.

#20 pmod

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:59 AM

I'll also add that my bench is an absolute joke, so we all have our areas to work on lol. My shoulders partially dislocate if loaded in the wrong position of rotation, so most of my lifting has been dedicated to strengthening that. Starting to now hit a point where I can bench reliably, but man, I'm so far behind friends on this one it's painful :(

#21 Dose Pipe Sutututu

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:18 PM

Thanks for that, definitely I try to do most workouts without straps or belts.. but I find that once I get over 140kg I can feel heaps of strain on my back thus the belt goes on. In terms of straps, I try not to use them but around the 140kg mark I find I have issues gripped and hold the bar steady so I resort to those straps (tongue style not figure 8s) for added grip.

I'll take that advice onboard and try to do other things such as running/sprinting etc.. I mainly just focus on lifting heavy weights.

I've been pretty bad, smoked/drinks heaps and being in corporate the occasional naughty drugs in the system... however haven't touched anything for nearly a year and have stopped smoking completely since January. Overall I'm quite healthy ish (minus the bad food certain weeks).

It's just the motivation that's hard, when I was younger (23~27) I had so much more motivation.. these days I'm so lazy.

But I'm sure when spring hits and winter's out I will have more of a drive!

Edited by Johnnilicte, 15 July 2014 - 12:19 PM.

#22 pabs89

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:28 PM

Training in winter is super hard, I tried getting back into it but after 2 weeks I couldn't do the 6am sessions any more and now gonna play soccer until it warms up again. the best thing you can do is set a goal, and increase slowly in increments. I don't dead lift myself but I squat. I weigh 70KG and squat 100 at best. it's all about form technique and just muscle memory. the more you push yourself the more you'll do. obviously your diet and rest plays a huge role in that too. Just set a goal and aim for it mate!

#23 Marko

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:45 PM

wrap a towel around the bar if you struggle with grip. the thicker the bar to easier to hold i find. i never use straps even when i lifted 215kg

#24 Dose Pipe Sutututu

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:27 AM

thanks for that - might try that, however what exercises would improve grip strength?
I find once I go around 140kg+ I barely can grip the bar and rely heavily on those straps with a tongue

Feels like my body is falling apart these days, injured my rotator cuff, my lower back creaks, left knee hurts. I know age isn't an excuse, however it seems I don't recover as fast these days.

Say Sunday I go flat out with the deadlifts, it won't be till Tuesday I feel good again to gym. If I try and train the next day, I feel like a train wreck. However when I was younger I could train the next day without any form of exhaustion..

Am I alone? lol

#25 pmod

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:26 AM

Improving your cardio will enhance your recovery rate no end, and although I'm quite biased with regard to the cardio I'd recommend, running genuinely is the best choice. Swimming is a solid alternative if you have joint issues and need a low impact activity, but it would be a bad idea to pick swimming with an injured rotator cuff.

You're not alone with feeling wrecked from a hardcore deadlift session; I usually feel it for a few days afterwards, as does my housemate. However the reasons he and I feel wrecked are somewhat different. I feel beaten up because a solid lift session for me is pretty retarded in terms of percentage of bodyweight, whereas he feels wrecked due to some areas of muscular weakness and technical faults with his deadlift body position. Certain muscles are being overloaded, and they weren't strong enough to carry the load in the correct position, so the weight is lower than mine and the damage higher.

There are a huge number of exercises or activities that you can do to improve grip strength and grip duration. A few that come to mind:
  • Finger-tip pushups
  • Regular barwork and rings (i.e. pullups/chinups/static hanging)
  • Reduced finger pullups/chinups (as in holding the bar using 1-4 fingers on each hand only)
  • Statically hang from a pullup bar on the front part of your fingers and lift yourself up an inch or so purely by closing your grip
  • Indoor rock climbing
  • CaptainsOfCrush grippers or similar
  • Solid gel gripper balls for finger tip gripping/squeezing
  • Rotation-based forearm exercises (a good one is to drill a hole in a piece of PVC pipe, run 1m of rope through it and tie a knot, tie the other end to a brick, then hold the pipe outstretched and rotate it to lift the brick up and down)
  • Hold a weight plate with both hands outstretched, then lift it from vertical to horizontal through a 90 degree arc
  • Using one or two fingers for daily lifting activities or similar, such as opening doors, carrying bags, etc. It adds up over time, and I developed some pretty decent grip duration and strength purely by carrying a satchel to work for a year or so, exclusively holding it at one end in a gripped position so the leverage was working against me, then changing hands at failure. That equated to 40 minutes a day of static holds to failure. When I could virtually hold it for 10-15 minutes at a time, I reduced the number of fingers used.

Edited by pmod, 29 July 2014 - 10:40 AM.

#26 pabs89

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:39 AM

Not alone at all man, I only spent 4 years in the army, knees creak, shoulders click. everything hurts when its super cold. and im only 25 haha

#27 pmod

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:59 AM

I'll also add that I have *similar* issues with my rotator cuffs, not due to injury, but due to my tendons/sockets allowing complete rotation. This means that I partially dislocate them when loaded in the wrong orientation, hurting the rotator cuffs.

I've drastically reduced my issues through doing seated dumbell military presses (in the 'unsafe' T position that is entirely shoulder, rather than the safer position with elbows slighty forward from the body), a sh*tload of freestanding handstands, handstand holds and vertical handstand pushups against a wall. Don't know how you would fare given yours is an actual injury, but it really helped me.

#28 Element Unknown

• Car:1993 KRPS13

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:09 PM

Might I add that there are obvious benefits to doing light assistance work for your shoulder girdle in general.
A good example if you don't already know.
http://orthoinfo.aao..._Shoulder_5.pdf

#29 japcarcrazy

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:43 AM

Hey as your lifts go up you will need to take more rest. It's fine to train 5 days etc when your in your first couple of years lifting but once your doing heavy lift you will benefit from maybe lifting only 3 times a week for a few months.

Make sure your form isn't slipping too much also as it's easy to get in a habit. Get someone who knows what they' re doing to watch your lifts. Also try to get all opposing lifts similar. With some experience it's easy to lift heavy but poorly. You need to have great form (I mean anally good form!) before you can cheat a little to get bigger lifts.

It is very hard for me also but lift less often and see how it goes. Your intensity should increase and pains steadily decrease.

Foam roll tight muscles in between sets and stretch after as tight muscles will affect form.

Try Fat Grips dumbbell work or as suggested use a towel to thicken barbell for all lifts. It will take a while but will improve your grip over time.

Could diet be a problem? Work out your goal and eat accordingly. No point eating for a beach look if your main goal is big lifts. a bit of Junk for extra calories wont hurt on training days but try to make it mostly calorie dense nutritional food. Just combining high carbs and fats regularly in the one meal is something to keep an eye on.

Finally, Have you tried using a proven training method for a good period? Something like Bill Starrs beginner 5X5 would be great. Your program may be unbalanced.
Sometimes you need to forget about ego and knowing better go back to basic proven methods if all round strength is your goal.

Edited by japcarcrazy, 10 August 2014 - 11:29 AM.

#30 japcarcrazy

Posted 10 August 2014 - 11:19 AM

One more thing!! While new on here I notice you know a bit about your mechanics etc. Treat this the same! when diagnosing a problem with a car you would systematically check all potential causes completely before moving on to the next thing. It's not a waste of time to check the whole ignition system if it doesn't turn out to be the problem because you know that for sure later. Same here. It's not a waste of time to go back to basics with your program, stick at it for at least 6 weeks then if you have no improvement you can confidently say program/recovery isn't a the problem. Same with stretching/foam rolling. do it diligently for a few months then you will know tightness isn't an issue.

You wouldn't use a scatter gun style approach to diagnosing a car's problem and the same applies here. Unfortunately the time frames to diagnose the problems are vastly different.

Good Luck! Your not alone, I am sure If you try the things I list you will find slow improvement in your problems.

Edited by japcarcrazy, 10 August 2014 - 11:23 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Common Links

• About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • User Agreement
  • Help & Support Forums
  • Advertise
  •  

By your continued use of this site, you agree to follow all Rules & Guidelines and abide by the User Agreement outlined in our Terms & Conditions.

Hardtuned Network is hosted by Sanity Technology

Design, Site Management & Hotness provided by Loz.

Big thanks to all our members and volunteers for making this network what it is today!