Sign in to follow this  
nisskid

nisskid's 32 4 door

just read through 87 pages of this thread over the last couple of day's. this car and you have come so far. look forward to seeing it back out.

yeah i see it lasted well for 5 full days on 3L of oil, not so much on the last one :(

thought i fixed all my oil leaks and then new ones pop up, should really make up an electric level gauge for the dipstick tube. say remove dipstick and run an aftermarket fuel level gauge and somehow make a level float, then mark on the gauge with a texter in one liter increments buy adding oil one liter at a time or something like the hicas power steering cap where it will show up on the dash lights if your running low on p/s oil

good luck with getting it back out on the track, theres skids to be had :)

lol

most cars actually come with a little warning light on the dash that actually tells you when you oil is low.

That oil pressure switch usually comes on when you've already done fatal-to-catastrophic damage.

Pfft, I drove my corolla with the oil light coming on around ever corner for months. She's still going strong

bearings are bearings

still, if you run your engine out of oil you deserve engine failer

Fundamental part of owning an engine of any type. Rb20 owners were born without that part of their brain.

it makes room for the part of the brain which tells them to buy an engine which will still last longer than the other shitty engines WITH regular oil checks.

Pfft, I drove my corolla with the oil light coming on around ever corner for months. She's still going strong

do that, but with 300rwkw, 30psi, limiter bashing, over 100degrees water temp, days on end... lol

^But that's a Toyota, not a Nissan pos :thumbsup:

i know holdens which have dealt with more abuse than that, holdens... that's not abuse.

do that, but with 300rwkw, 30psi, limiter bashing, over 100degrees water temp, days on end... lol

if i ran an engine with 300kw with 30psi id probley check my oil once in awhile and run some kind of cooling system

but hey, driving>building right

Why does it need 30 pound to make 300kw on e85 anyway? Should do that on 18-20. Or is that part of the rb20 awesomeness?

I still would have just driven it on the trailer haha

i had skidded it for about an hour with bottom end knock at that stage and she was sounding pretty ready to let a rod go lol

Why does it need 30 pound to make 300kw on e85 anyway? Should do that on 18-20. Or is that part of the rb20 awesomeness?

dunno, couldn't get the boot controller to get it any lower, possibly faulty controller, the spring in the wastegate was good to open up at 16psi or there abouts. that paired with the shitty au coilpacks was why i could only run .45 gap. Roy was making 304rwkw on 22psi with his 20 (you do need a bit more boost on a 20, and it is a 20g not a 25g which a lot of the rb25's run), but i have no idea how much mine made, it's a rough guess, it never got tuned with that turbo or even any external wastegate setup, and it was running a tiny gap, so that was hurting it's power.

Edited by nisskid

if i ran an engine with 300kw with 30psi id probley check my oil once in awhile and run some kind of cooling system

but hey, driving>building right

i wasn't trying to defend my role in this, only the engine as i let it down, it didn't let me down. until you're in my shoes you can't really say what you would and wouldn't have done, i was having some real bad luck with the car, and when you spend that much time doing everything else on it just to get it out, only to have some shitty issue end your day, event after event, the small things get overlooked as quite frankly you don't want to even look at the car any more than you have to.

the engine hasn't drunk or spilled a drop in the 7 years i'd owned it, i'd put 5 litres in, and pull the same out months or years later in some cases. Ultimately it wasn't the engines fault, it was a shitty sandwich plate, HKS albeit, which was leaking onto a pre-existing hydraulic leak which i was unable to fix due to the stress loads on my steering system with the setup it had.

as far as cooling, jump in any drift car and try and do consecutive laps, no break, no breather, and see if you can keep the temp below 100 degrees after 5 minutes, let alone half an hour which we were doing at tailem bend and winton. 100 degrees is nothing for the 20 anyway, i ran this one with no water in the system for 3-4 half hour sessions in 36 degree heat at winton, couldn't fix the problem, had paid over $1000 to get there so figured i'd get my laps in, since there was no water to go off its temp, oil was the best bet, but it was reading off the end of the gauge so no idea how hot it got. another RB20 of mine i did the same, huge hole in the radiator, car was getting wrecked next day, couldn't find a rad to put in it, drove it for about an hour until it started knocking, kept driving but wasn't until the next day that it threw a rod after i went out and drifted it from cold for about 20 minutes, pickering could hear the knock from in front of me in his straight piped SR20 S13.

Edited by nisskid
  • Upvote 1