Sign in to follow this  
sr180

Meat Head thread (weights and lifting..)

Weve comprehensively covered the easy side of weight lifting.. The gym side.. What about the diet side of it?

I'm looking for protein inducing meal ideas here.

Whats some good meals to eat while at home?

Some meals that can be taken to work?

Suggestions / discussion?

I boil 2-3 eggs and have some milk if I need a late night snack.

Hmmm... there are so many sources. lots of options during the day.

One of my fav's would have to be a 4 egg omelette or scrambled

4 eggs

2 slices of ham

half a tomato

low fat milk.

Crack the eggs and put them in a bowl, add 50ml or more of low fat milk, chop the ham and tomato and put that in there as well.....

Now to make things really easy.....Nuke it! Microwaved scrambled eggs are so easy and very nice!

Your microwave will effect the time it takes but just wack 'em in there in a safe bowl, and watch them, you'll know when they are ready. it takes all of 6 minutes and is a great filler. plus with the 4 eggs, ham and milk you'll get a good hit of protien.

Nutrition is very important when it comes to lifting weights, protein intake, what foods are used for energy.

Depending on how strict and how into gyming you are it is possible to eat basically anything at any given time.

Breakfast you need to eat slow releasing energy foods like weet bix food which isnt really processed.

Lots or fruit intake, for protein you can eat tuna with pita bread for carbs and the tuna for protein, cook some chicken the night before mix it up in a salad.

Then through out the day you will be drinking your protein shakes????

Eat your egg white as this contains the most protein and the yolk contains the fat which is something we dont want but it depends on your diet.?

Someone want a personal trainer, HEY just HOLLA

Peace

While we're at it......Grilled tomato and tuna sandwiches.

2 small can's of mild chilli (or whichever flavour you prefer, i also like lemon tuna)

4 slices of wholemeal bread,

1 tomato

(salad creme is optional but i like it).

Drain the tuna (otherwise it makes the bread soggy) and put it onto the bread, slice the tomato evenly and layer it on top of the tuna, if you're using salad creme just drizzle it on top of the tomato.

Put the other peice of bread on top and slide it under the grill, wait till golden brown then turn.

The reason I don't toast the bread first is it allows the tuna and tomato to heat up and release their flavours.

I make 2 at a time and it fills you up.

On the go i normally rely on protein shakes. If i have time its normally just a chicken salad (cook up all my chicken on the weekend).

I have the following sandwich for dinner sometimes: Canned Salmon, Cottage cheese on wholemeal bread. Its disgusting! I hate most seafood and dairy but worked out this 1 sandwich is normally 30-40gm protein and you get the slow release Casein from the cottage cheese. I then normally have a night time protein shake before bed.

EDIT: Toast this up as well, then normally nuke it in the microwave for a bit so it all warms up, still tastes like ass.

Ive also heard mixing things like cottage cheese/oats etc in with choc whey and a few other goodies into the blender can make for an interesting shake.

whole grain toast, spread with mashed avacado, and topped with tuna fresh or in spring water mixed spices or if you got it tabouleh(sp?) yum i have two protein shakes a day mixed with creatine and stacked with a good amino usually one at 9am then one an hour after lifting or try turkey, not that processed shit but proper turkey meat or low fat turkey mince and have it on a whole grain bun with salad... stay away from anything white...bread, rice etc etc whole grains broewn rice try to eat about 2 serves of red meat, good stuff not like chops or something a week, if you like fish go for 4 serves or 5 if you can a week and make up the rest with chicken just really mix it up vary your diet, with vegies and stuff colour is always a good sign :P anyway hope i helped a little matey i know i wasnt protien specific

sorry if anyone want to make a shake, 1/3rd cup bran, kelloggs all bran is the best, 2 table spoons honey natural if you got it, protein powder i use vanilla sting its nice one banana depending on size if its big halve it, then add one cup of soy milk then blend the crap out of it i use a hand blender and find its the best as it doesnt thicken it up too much, it may be too thick for you so try to balance it out to your liking, i personally love this shake its filling and really good for you, for those who dont like soy milk, give sanitarium organics simply soy a try i think its the best but if your still not convinced then use low fat skim :D

If your going to be having a lot of eggs daily, throw away the yoke (even though its the tastiest bit) because its packed full of cholesterol.

I like tuna on wholemeal bread, chicken and salad (celery, mixed lettuce, lebanese cucumber, capsicum, red onion) with fat free dressing, and protein shakes with a bit of milo or quik to improve the taste a bit :P

i train wen i get up every day, sometimes its 9am sometimes its 2pm lol

i eat pretty much same shit every day, few pieces of fruit b4 training, gt home have a shake, then throughout the day eat chiken, tuna or fish, and hav veges with my dinner.

I know tuna is the most common 'high protein meal' but i f**kin hate tuna! Wat else compares to it that you can get in a can?

lol i want to kno, what are the highest protein foods, like a percentage of their weight... eg can tuna 95g, 20g protein...

Eat your egg white as this contains the most protein and the yolk contains the fat which is something we dont want but it depends on your diet.?
If your going to be having a lot of eggs daily, throw away the yoke (even though its the tastiest bit) because its packed full of cholesterol.

bwahahahahaahahaha. Such rampant misinformation. I luv et! :lol: :lol: :lol:

MIS information :)

Sorry hot shot why dont you elaborate.

If you have an argument then you can quite clearly argue with my nutrition teacher who is also number 1 in australian natural body building.

lol i want to kno, what are the highest protein foods, like a percentage of their weight... eg can tuna 95g, 20g protein...

Eggs. But then you start getting into whey isolates etc.

If you have an argument then you can quite clearly argue with my nutrition teacher who is also number 1 in australian natural body building.

Elaborate?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=egg+cholesterol here u go :thumbsup:

nutrition teacher? gimme his/her contact details. i'll "elaborate" with this teacher and put him in his place.

so should i eat eggs or not is the question? hahaha

I used to make y own protien bars that were good if you were in a real rush. i will try to find the recipie so im only going off the top of my head.

You get some protien powder, peanut butter, dried fruit, coconut, oats and some other stuf.

The main thing that was different about these was you didn't put them in the oven, you just waked them in the fridge then cut them up. This was something to do with Heat destroying the protien content or something. Bouy if you know anything about that theorie could you elaborate?

so should i eat eggs or not is the question? hahaha

lol. okay then. its simple duple. here is AN article out of the plethora of articles that breaks it down into laymans terms, from none other than askmen.com

Eggs have gotten a bad rap over the last few decades. Deemed bad for the heart by health experts, they have been the subjects of criticism and scrutiny. But are our white (sometimes brown) friends really that unhealthy for us? In the last few years, numerous health organizations have been vindicating eggs' reputation. So what are we to believe; why were eggs chastised, only to be acclaimed again?

old egg myths

It was previously thought that eggs raised blood cholesterol levels -- one of the main causes of heart disease. The yolk in a single large egg contains five grams of fat, so it was only natural for nutritionists to assume that eggs clogged up people's arteries, especially since they also contain dietary cholesterol .

Another myth was that cholesterol is fat. That is simply not true. Cholesterol is a waxy substance that resembles fat, but has little to do with it. Today, scientists know that cholesterol content in food and the cholesterol in our blood aren't as directly related as once thought. So to unravel the mystery that is the egg, one must look at cholesterol.

cholesterol

First, one has to understand that cholesterol is not necessarily bad. Humans need it to maintain cell walls, insulate nerve fibers and produced vitamin D, among other things. Second, there are two types of cholesterol: dietary cholesterol and blood cholesterol . Both are important.

Dietary cholesterol is found in certain foods, such as meat, poultry, seafood, eggs, and diary products. The second type (blood cholesterol, also called serum cholesterol) is produced in the liver and floats around in our bloodstream. Blood cholesterol is divided into two sub-categories: High-Density Lipoprotein (HDL), and Low-Density Lipoprotein (LDL). LDL cholesterol is considered bad because it sticks to artery walls.

What is bad, however, is the amount of LDL blood cholesterol in the body. Too much of it can cause heart problems, but scientists are now discovering that consuming food rich in dietary cholesterol does not increase blood cholesterol. At least that is what some experts believe (they are somewhat disagreeing on the matter... as usual).

Evidence showing that eating a lot of dietary cholesterol doesn't increase blood cholesterol was discovered during a statistical analysis conducted over 25 years by Dr. Wanda Howell and colleagues at the University of Arizona. The study revealed that people who consume two eggs each day with low-fat diets do not show signs of increased blood cholesterol levels.

So what does raise blood cholesterol? One of the main theories is that saturated fat does. Of the three types of fat (saturated, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated), saturated fat raises blood cholesterol and LDL levels. It so happens that eggs contain mostly polyunsaturated fat, which can actually lower blood cholesterol if one replaces food containing saturated fat with eggs.

If you're a bodybuilder, you need eggs...

http://www.askmen.com/sports/foodcourt_60/...ating_well.html

so here we have the elaboration. hth. cheers.

you see the first highlighted sentence. first word: Today? yeah thats right boyo. Time to get with the times. Knowledge about nutrition is in constant advancement. The worst offenders are those who earned their stripes a decade ago and haven't kept their knowledgebase current. These people are still going on old advice from back in the old days. A lot of it is wrong. Egg yolks raising your blood cholesterol level is a PRIME example of prehistoric bullshit still circulating even professional circles. bad bad bad... and more importantly:WRONG WRONG WRONG. they'd stake their reputations on it and I shatter them. done it many a time point blank. :) and i love doing it. taking them off their high horses and smudgeoning them :thumbsup: screaming "YOU GOTTA KEEP READING AND LEARNING DAMNIT!". cant just keep preaching what you read and learned 10 years ago.

in other words: theres no such thing as an expert who knows it all. the sooner most people realise this, the sooner these experts will eat humble pie and do ongoing research so they give the right advice. the advice is: this is how it is now, but keep on questioning it and finding stuff to back it up, otherwise one day you're going to run in to someone thats going to take your little world away from you. it's happened to me many times, so don't think i'm always on the dishing-out end. i've eaten humble pie and i have no qualms giving humble pie for others to eat.

:thumbsup:

end super dastardly rant.

Elaborate?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=egg+cholesterol here u go :thumbsup:

nutrition teacher? gimme his/her contact details. i'll "elaborate" with this teacher and put him in his place.

Okay well if you read what i had typed i did say depending on the diet the yolk is something that we do not want. diets should only be built on PROTEIN AND CARBS OR PROTEIN AND FATS, in my opinion i was stating protein and carbs, this is the reason why i stated that we did not want fat and thats is also why i said that it depend on your diet.

ok no worries :thumbsup:

Everyone just wants to be massive.

So who will be the one to invent an exercising machine that works your body when sitting at your desk so you can get ripped at work.

:woot:

Then no more gym and we will all be able to eat yolk from eggs or whatever. I want to drink massive amounts of beer. urrrgh!

Without reading replies, the cholesterol in egg yolk is HDL (high density lipoproteins) which are the good ones which take away LDL (low density lipoproteins) in a sense..

Nutrition is one of the best subjects you can do (well first semseter, after that its all famine bullshit)

I just TRY my hardest to eat a high complex carbohydrate diet with minimal fats and lots of veges/salad..and of course protein. Forget any fancy meals, just make youself as knowledgeable as possible and eat SMART..

That been said im going down the road for a kebab soon

That been said im going down the road for a kebab soon

I just had 1 for lunch. mmm lots of healthy garlic sauce

Oh by the way its a Yiros. kebab sounds small in that you might need 2 of them. :) lol

On the eggs topic its still not certain, there is evidence that shows that eggs may not increase cholesterol and contrary evidence that shows that it does increase cholesterol. Furthermore, studies which suggested that this had no impact on cholesterol, generally kept to 1 serving per day, i.e 2 eggs.

People that go to the gym eat far more than that, there is enough evidence to suggest eating 4-6 (or more) whole eggs a day isn't a good thing personally I'd stick to the whites. Why risk it? Also those of you who do eat heaps of whole eggs, get your cholesterol and triglyceride levels checked, a mate of mine recently got a rude shock. lol. Given he was eating at least 4 whole eggs a day.

BACK ON TOPIC:

BULKING:

For bulking I basically ate as much tuna, chicken, egg whites, lean beef as I could, as well as some rice or pasta for carbs, with the odd protein shake now and then. I only went up about 2-3% in bodyfat with big lean mass gain.

I'm not a fan of those bulkers who choose to eat Maccas, KFC etc as part of their bulking diet, because this tends to make them more fat, than big. There's not point being big, if u just look like a fat guy, with a gut and big non-defined arms. Bodybuilders DO NOT have high body fat %s.

CUTTING:

I'm just about to start cutting, but from what I've read, its basically the same staple foods, with a reduction in meal size and an increase in meal frequency. So eat less, more often, making sure that your total calorie intake is in turn lower, without you body kicking into starvation mode, where it will start to eat away muscle. Drink heaps of water, eat heaps of vegies, lower carbs and sugar.

actually there is no contrary evidence. there is only conventional "wisdom" and anecdotal evidence. all the clinical studies, including a 25 year study that is infamous in this debate which was not interested in taking sides but finding out what really goes on all find that there is no correlation between risk of heart disease between a person who eats 2 eggs once a day compared to a person who eats eggs once a week. the

the nay sayers are the old school. you can see them hiding in their own webpages just waiting to be sprung.

this goes the same with red meat, shell fish, prawns, fish, crabs - even butter - are doing 180 degree turns jumping back in the heart foundations good books. of course these big organisations can't do an about face on the turn of a dime as there are nay sayers within their own ranks that will keep the tug-o-war going for a while.

if you want a living breathing example of using loads of butter and still being healthy, just look at the French. they have butter by the bucketload and they have a very healthy population with a low rate of obesity and heart disease. :thumbsup: (i'm ¼ french btw!) lol.

(i'm ¼ french btw!) lol.

That'd explain the smell and attitude! :lol:

Let's get back on topic guys, SR asked about good meals to have that we can whip up quickly or prepare in advance, let's post some more up!

I'm not ready to get back on topic yet :P

Buoy, you need to stop reading other people's second hand information and have a look at actual studies. No one here is going to argue that 2 eggs per day is not detrimental to the diet and health (Chenoweth et al, 1981; Schnohr, 1994; and Chakrabarty et al, 2004), that's not what we are debating here. Read my post properly and you'll note that i said "a lot of eggs daily" (granted, i didn't really specific a quantifiable amount). 2 eggs is not "a lot", i'm talking about the guys who are having 3-4 egg omelette in the morning and more boiled eggs through the day. Studies have shown that eating eggs in this quantity daily does increase serum cholesterol and LDL levels (Ginsberg, 1994; Zanni, 1987; Sutherland, 1997; Oh, 1985; and Weggemans, 2001) and this effect is greater in men than women, elderly than young, and ‘hyper-responders’ than ‘hypo-responders’ (my VPN client isn’t connecting at the moment so I’m a bit restricted in my database searches).

I CBF attaching a reference list, look em up.

Oh, and I’m pretty certain that the health of the French is in a large part attributable to their small serving portions.

wat about snacks n stuff at night time... ill have my last meal about 8pm or so... n stay up till 12,1,2 whatevr.... n wen u get bored, well ye, feel like havin something

actually there is no contrary evidence. there is only conventional "wisdom" and anecdotal evidence. all the clinical studies, including a 25 year study that is infamous in this debate which was not interested in taking sides but finding out what really goes on all find that there is no correlation between risk of heart disease between a person who eats 2 eggs once a day compared to a person who eats eggs once a week. the

the nay sayers are the old school. you can see them hiding in their own webpages just waiting to be sprung.

this goes the same with red meat, shell fish, prawns, fish, crabs - even butter - are doing 180 degree turns jumping back in the heart foundations good books. of course these big organisations can't do an about face on the turn of a dime as there are nay sayers within their own ranks that will keep the tug-o-war going for a while.

if you want a living breathing example of using loads of butter and still being healthy, just look at the French. they have butter by the bucketload and they have a very healthy population with a low rate of obesity and heart disease. :thumbsup: (i'm ¼ french btw!) lol.

2 eggs a day?

Sure 2 eggs a day would be fine, I'm not saying that, but usually people that workout go through 4 or more eggs a day easy and that's where the problem lies. The studies you are referring to studied the effects of eating 1 or 2 eggs a day, not the effects of eatings eggs in volume. Here's a quote from a researcher who concluded that eating 1 or 2 eggs a day is not going to increase your risk of cardiovascular disease:

"One shouldn't take the results of this study as carte blanche to go out and eat as many eggs as you want," Stampfer says. "I think egg intake should be limited, but people shouldn't have this fear that one or two eggs a day is going to increase their risk of heart disease. It's not." Dr Meir Stampfer.

The yolk of an egg has about 212mg of cholesterol.

Dietary reccomendations state that you shouldn't consume more than 300mg of cholesterol a day and no more than 200mg a day if you have high blood cholesterol levels. From this it's quite clear how eating more than the recommended serving of eggs can raise your blood cholesterol (look at how much you would exceed daily reccomendations by!)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if someone is going to eat eggs in large volume, it's best to limit the number of yolks and increase the number of whites. It's just common sense.