Sign in to follow this  
__PhaseShiftDown

km before engine rebuild

Hi guy,

Just a quick question. I'm looking into buying a S2 S14, and seeing most of them has around 100k+ on the clock, so I was just wondering approximatly how long will the SR20 last before a rebuild is required. Obviously I'm talking about an engine that is reasonably well tuned and running on stock boost. Oil will be changed every 3000km also. Thanks heaps :)

Edited by __PhaseShiftDown

if your not planning on modding it then it will have heaps of life left in it after 100.000kms. I would think a rebuild would be needed at 220+ kms, but this will also depend on how you drive it. Best bet is to check out the car before you buy it, Service history, crash history, RACV test etc that way your asured you get a good example, that has plenty of life still left in it...

Edited by MCD

turbo cars around 100-150 clicks. But then again all depends on how well the car has been looked after.

It varies hugely depending on how the car has been used and serviced. A compression and leakdown test is the only way of telling.

coul be 2000kms could be 100,000kms. dont go through racv, there useless go to a high performance mechanic if u do anything like that..

my engine has 170 000+ km's on it and the same engine survived a head on crash at 80km/h to be transplanted into my new sil... few leaks here and there but she is running as good as any SR

all depends... when it starts blowing smoke, and leaks from every seal and chews threw oil... maybe then..

cant really say "at so and so km's it needs a rebuild"

when it starts coughing oil, blowing smoke.. how hard is ur foot ? :) regular service helps but doesn't mean it'll make the car invincible.

300,000kms if it's regularly serviced and not modified. Even after that it may still be okay. Problem is we all know who are buying and owning these cars and to find one thats been looked after it's entire life and never messed with is rare.

Cool. Thanks guys.... that makes sense. I havent bought the car yet, but will definitly have the zorst, fmic, coilpacks, bov, wastegate, fuel pump and possibily also the water pump upgraded when I get the car.

Since I'm not a very technical person when it comes to cars, only knows the basics and by no mean skilled enough in identifying any potential mechnical problems. Are there any good places to go to or call to have the car inspected?

any good reputable workshop that has everything to loose and nothing to gain, will be a good place to go to, might cost a bit more but if they know what they're talking about then it's worth it.

Engine life comes down to service history, mods, boost running, and tuning, but as ageneral indication, if it was ewrviced every 10,000kays (even better if 5k), had all services followed to specs then the engine should be fine, even if it was driven hard occasionally, but if it had 2 or 3 services in that time, then there's a good chance of oil sludge build up, and possibly blocked oil feeds or worn cams etc

one way to check is to remove the rocker cover and inspect cam lobe condition, and rockers and oil build up etc

another is a compression test, firstly dry, then wet, and then a leak down test - the last 2 are more extreme but give you an indication (further) if the rings are worn or there is combustion chamber leak ie valve stem seals or headgasket etc

If you're really pedantic, then get the motor pulled out, stripped bare, new bearings, new rings, bore hone, head service and full VRS kit, then you know you have a fresh stock motor

theres no point rebuilding a motor if there is no problem with it

wait for the motor to start making noises or when the motor shits self or has alot ob blow by and low compression