Sign in to follow this  
meminto

Project "Baller" - The quest to break 1000hp..

^^^^ Thanks John :) Hey when you coming around?

Final check on dash alignment and fit before i pull out and install the carpets..

Sorry about iphone pics.. i have no camera at the moment... but i might take a vid and upload to youtube..

Looks pretty good... :quagmire:

photo.JPG

photo1.JPG

looks good man, i wanna do the dash conversion to mine.

^^^ Sweet as mate.. i have a couple of tech vids floating about on the way i did the mods lol....

Thanks to jimmy next door for setting up the "contraption" to hold the turbo whilst a play with mounting points and brackets..

photo2.JPG

photo3.JPG

photo4.JPG

This is roughly where it will sit... I will weld the manifold up then get it port matched lol...

glad to hear this thing didnt get parted out... dash looks good too..

turbs looks like its in a aqward position haha.. should rotate it so that it faces the passenger light..

Looks like the position wil change slightly (cheers John for the help!), but yeah bling the exhaust housing has a 5" exit so its big..

But i can step down from 5" -> 3.5" about 30 cm from the exit and it won't affect the performance (lol on road) as it will need 3.5" out the back...

Good part is being Vband of the housing, i can swap out to a 5" dump that will exit under the motor on drag/dyno days.. room there to do it..

pipework will take some creative thinking, but i am confident it can be done... i will need to acquire and customise another bonnet though...

So i will have a fiberglass bonnet for sale in the near future lol...

this build is insane, will keep an eye on this and i wanna see vids of it driving haha when its done that is

This thing is insane, can't wait to see a dyno vid, I'm sure all your hard work will pay off in the end. Your inspiration to us all! Lol

Hey mate just wondering what cas bracket your using? did you make one up or buy one of someone? cheers

Hey mate just wondering what cas bracket your using? did you make one up or buy one of someone? cheers

Its from www.growly.com.au

I have one for my CA aswell. (meminto, just let me know if you want me to remove my post)

Edited by 1200ute

^^^ Matt has admin' privileges so he cam remove whatever post he likes.

Yeah my brother makes them, there was a thread when we first developed them a couple years ago but i jut had a look and i can't find it.

Anyhow give him a call; (though he put his finger through a band saw last week and just he surgery to fix it so he's not doing much work at the moment)

hi iv got a ca18det do you no if sr engine mounts are the same as ca ones and i put a oil catcher can on and dont no where to put the hoses to let me with pics thanks

^^^ Matt has admin' privileges so he cam remove whatever post he likes.

Yeah my brother makes them, there was a thread when we first developed them a couple years ago but i jut had a look and i can't find it.

Anyhow give him a call; (though he put his finger through a band saw last week and just he surgery to fix it so he's not doing much work at the moment)

Thanks Dale :)

hi iv got a ca18det do you no if sr engine mounts are the same as ca ones and i put a oil catcher can on and dont no where to put the hoses to let me with pics thanks

From memory, the SR20 engine mounts can be used, but I have a niggling feeling there is something to do with either swapping left for right or turning the left one upside down.. I cant remember and I am away from home for work so cant look through my archives...

There is a picture floating around on the internet I put up about how too and why too setup the lines correctly, again im away for work so cant post it up...

If you google search it will come up...

Thanks all for the responses, once i am done with cyclone yasi response and recovery and I am back from townsville, I am taking time off and getting on with some much needed welding and fabbing... lol..

Apparently zoom has an article on my build somewhere? but unsure as they never approached me (but all good, its a pretty decent spread! hi 5 zoom, going to pick up a couple of copies).. but watch out for an upcoming fast fours and rotaries in the build article guys, where phil did approach me for some more detailed info :)

Cheers..

what about this design. drawing maybe ruff lol, thinking about doing it to my ca18 datsun. Small turbo 2871 .64 welded internal gate, big turbo 6262

post-60047-13017208812486_thumb.jpg

My Silvia is running...

Is yours?

:sick:

That is one of the roughest drawings I've ever seen. haha...

Matt........... updates..............

My Silvia is running...

Is yours?

:sick:

I wish it was mate, wish it was :(

Still going through a bit of crap with the seperation and some other things going on...

One day it will be finished lol.. maybe...

Man I knew you would be finished before me :rant: lol.... all good brother, you must be stoked!

That is one of the roughest drawings I've ever seen. haha...

Matt........... updates..............

lol.... agreed its a rough drawing...

not much to update mate, been going through some difficulties in life, but i guess its a project, wish it was finished...

But I have finished installing the carpet and finished off the audio guff...

I might need your help shortly to ;) Ill call you this week...

what about this design. drawing maybe ruff lol, thinking about doing it to my ca18 datsun. Small turbo 2871 .64 welded internal gate, big turbo 6262

I dont think it will be a very good match with a 2871... the 6262 is a big turbo very big looking at 1400 odd hp worth of air being moved.. I looked at the maps for it, the pressure ratio is in a very sweet spot, but the exhaust wheel is huge on it, i think 130 odd mm from memory, not that it won't move, but its a lot of rotating mass to spool up..

I don't even know what type of power goal your looking at, but a better match for the 6262 would be in the 35 series or thereabouts, but thats just off the top of my head without using any of the calculation spreadsheets i created or studying specific compressor and turbine maps to give a decent ball park..

Not only that, you need to consider the physical properties of your engine setup, i.e displacement, rpms you want to use, type of fuel, injector sizes, port sizes, camshaft specs etc..

Hope this helps somewhat..

meminto i was talking about the precision billet turbo 6262 rated at 680 not the garrett 6 series lol. Can i ask what rear housing you using on the big turbo 0.82 a/r? small .63

Lol... far from finished, but is definitely running!

meminto i was talking about the precision billet turbo 6262 rated at 680 not the garrett 6 series lol. Can i ask what rear housing you using on the big turbo 0.82 a/r? small .63

Yeah no worries, sorry i thought you were talking about the garrett big buggers.. I did look at precision turbos but for what i wanted to achieve, they didnt really have the flow characterisics..

The 4718 turbo is .96 as it was the smallest i looked at a 1.08 but with some gas expasion calculations it would have been a little later to spool up than the .96

The greddy is a .63 as it needs to spool up quick..

With these setups conventional thinking goes out the window a little, your not trying to squeeze 3-5pr out of one turbo, your using efficent lower prs to generate a high pr..

I guess the crucial thing to remember is making sure you understand how much air your particular motor can ingest..

I have posted some information about these setups in the tech section...

Unfortunately the fruits of my labour over the last 5 years may not be recognised, I am at the stage where my options to complete are almost out..

Unfortunately the fruits of my labour over the last 5 years may not be recognised, I am at the stage where my options to complete are almost out..

almost is still not over...

The joy of a real project is doing it by yourself, increasing your knowledge, improving your skills, accepting your mistakes, but most importantly its doing it for yourself, your way, your time.

I think everyone will agree youve stayed true to these ideals.

btw, keep it you slacker.. your still beating me

_IZY0761.jpg

Where abouts did you get the sticker of the old person/disabled/cyclist and koala from? haha

_IZY0761.jpg

Where abouts did you get the sticker of the old person/disabled/cyclist and koala from? haha

Found it on ebay a few years back and never saw them again lol..

almost is still not over...

The joy of a real project is doing it by yourself, increasing your knowledge, improving your skills, accepting your mistakes, but most importantly its doing it for yourself, your way, your time.

I think everyone will agree youve stayed true to these ideals.

btw, keep it you slacker.. your still beating me

Thanks mate, appreciate your thoughts as always..

Don't forget that I have also had the oppurtunity to meet likeminded people and make new friends along the journey too ;)

No such thing as a daft question mate smile.gif..

Compounding is the term used for multiplying the pressure ratio of the first turbocharger to see atmospheric pressure, it is more commonly found on diesel applications.. The proper term is staged but like anything else there are always different names for the same thing lol..

It is a similar concept to a twincharged (super+turbo charged combo) but using two turbochargers instead, which removes the limitation of the supercharger (efficiency and set pressure ratio as examples, I won't go into detail here lol)..

You use a single turbocharger manifold as you would for any other single stage but down stream from there you add in a second turbocharger (reffered to as Low Pressure Turbo), it sees atmospheric first, and compresses the air into the first turbocharger (reffered to as the High Pressure Turbo), which then compresses the air again into the manifold. In very basic terms, if you have a turbo that produces peak 2.5 pr and add a second that produces peak 2.5pr, the peak inlet will be 5 pr..

There is a lot of math involved to get to a very close starting point for a given hp target, I actually created a spreadsheet to help with sizing..

So why a 4718 and a T67-25G together?

I decided that with all the work that went into the motor, a thousand hp was likely to be achievable, so I used 1050 as the target hp..

Using a number of formulas, and knowing the variables in my motor such as Volumetric Efficiency, RPM I wanted to use, Displacement of the motor etc, I found out what my estimated normally aspirated cfm flow is.

I used this figure to calculate the flow and pressure ratio required to reach the 1050hp goal. I must stress for my motor only, other motors will be vastly different and as you move up in displacement requirements change..

1050hp @ 9200rpm = 110 lb/flow @ 5.5 PR (all in absolute pressure)- No big single turbo would do this efficiently, and if it could the powerband would be so insular that it would be useless anywhere but on a dyno or on a drag strip with a 6000rpm stalled up auto lol..

Remember this is peak, I also calcualted this in 2500rpm increments using a 10000rpm limit for all subsequent calculations.. and plotted oncompressor maps (and to a certain point turbine maps) accordingly..

So enter the compound turbo setup, I knew that I needed the 110 lb flow, but at what PR? Logic suggests and research backed it up, that with a compound setup you want to use each turbo in the best efficiency possible, sharing the pressure ratio not to far away from equally but in a high/low relationship. So I played around with multiplying the pressure ratio numbers until a came up with what I think is a good relationship. 2.2PR on the low and 2.5PR on the high...

The low pressure turbo was fairly straight forward, I needed a turbo that could produce 110 lb/min flow @ 2.2 PR, with relatively high efficiency (peak). I looked at several turbos and settled on the 4718, plotted out it fitted the requirement with 74-76% efficiency..

The high pressure turbo was a little more difficult to figure out, as I needed to claculate the mass airflow correction between the output of the low pressure turbo and the output of the high pressure turbo. Note that the density ratio of each turbocharger stays the same relative to the PR.

Running the claculations resulted in requiring a turbocharger that could produce 55 lb/min flow @ 2.5PR. Greddy do not provide compressor maps and I thought I may have to sell off the T67 for a different turbo, so I measured the specs of the wheels (both inducer and exducer on both wheels) and looked up the garrett site to find a turbocharger that would be closeish to the Greddy. Out of pure luck, the greddy turbo seemed to fit the requirement, but the 10cm housing was too big for a quicker spool and I opted for an 8cm housing.

As far as heat goes, as each turbo is highly efficient and with the correct use of intercooling, the egt's should not be any higher.

*bows down in praise*

hey meminto hows the car going. Really keen to know whats happening.

picture of my car atm, not finished yet.

post-60047-13118439302859_thumb.jpg

Edited by oda70

I LOVE HOW big that turbo is.. this thing will be awsome to see spool up