Sign in to follow this  
advan

matts journal (advan)

thought its about time i put up a journal listing my lifts

itll be good for me to look back on my progress and especially for you fellas to critique my sessions and make suggestions

so please do make suggestions

:yes:

anyway heres something to kick it off

130kg bench, my mate whos never been to the gym didnt understand when i told him not to spot me, so he ends up touching the bar at the end of the lift

but u get the idea

ill film another later so that it can be more verified that i did it myself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUrtkTSmGWs

4 plate deadlift (ignore the music)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHnr71nP5jo

3 plate squat deep enough???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-l-4wzT60w

admittedly none of these were done at my gym becuase i needed a mate to record,

so none of the bars are a full 20kgs, there actually 15kgs in these lifts, but i can perform all of these lifts with an oly bar

sorry about the quality, was done on my phone :P

So this session i was actually showing my mate a few exercises he should be doing (wants to make flanker in rugby team) so its kind of more a general workout as compared to what i might do

Bench

60x8

100x5

120x4

130x1

Squat

60x10

100x10

140x2

140x2

Deadlift

60x8

100x8

140x5

180x1

Bent row

100x8

100x6

100x6

Military press

60x10

70x8

75x8

standing dumbell curls

25x8

22.5x8

22.5x8

Standing calf raises (machine)

80x8

80x8

80x8

there was also some leg raises thrown in, but they dont really count

as i said this isnt a normal session for me, but the reps are pretty normal to what i would do, sometimes i would go as low as 5 reps per set when im hitting a higher percent of my 1rm

btw im 6'2'' and currently sitting about 100kgs, im usually about 95, but i needed a few more for putting big hits on in the rugby season:)

i think that it

cheers

matt:)

dayum your a strong one! :yes: keep it up buddy

vids dont seem to be working for me though....

edit: all good now.

bench looked so eaaaasy, 2nd rep squat didnt look deep enough IMO first one looked alright though, wats up with the towel for the deadlift?

yeah the bench was easy, for the first rep:P

yeah shitty chinese bars have shitty chrome covered gnurling, get more grip with towel.

Matt,tell me you got up and punched your spotter in the head :lol:

The squat was great,first rep was deep second would pass in powerlifting.

The deadlift bothers me abit,plates dont appear to start on the ground,lose the towel,maybe you could use it to strangle your spotter :yes:

But you are a big strong unit,100kg at 17.Are you going to make it in Rugby??????

Geez Matt, you made that 180kg DL look like childs play :lol:

You must still have another 10kg or so in bodyweight to catch up to your brother ;)

as for making it in rugby, i was told by the head coach before he had even seen me play that i have 'the build'. so far ive played 3 games, gone up a grade, scored a try and made numourous big hits (im an ex league player who loves to tackle hard). but im not really interested in making it to prems or anything, too many injuries and too much commitment, i prefer to lift, i only joined rugby becuase my best mate plays and the team needed players.

hmmm yeah me and jay had an ego stroking session the other night where we hopped on the scales, he still has 4 kilos on me, but at 6'4'' thats not hard to beleive, but hes not built like me ;P

yeah i was pretty cut at my spotter, hence why i went for the second rep to try and do it myself. but failed :(

and you caught me marcos, as i said i was at a mates gym to record, the squat rack i was using had a raised base that i had the bar resting on, they were sitting about 4cms off the ground, but they were tiny plates anyway.

heres a pick taken at work tonight, hadnt eaten for 3 hours and was feeling pretty hungry, got rid of the majority of my uniform shoes shirts etc and hopped on the delivery scales so my mate could take a photo

100.3 so minus the work pants, belt and socks im probably ab out 100 flat

28062007.jpg

thanks for the positive feedback guys

EDIT:

after considering neils comment and watching the video im going to try to make it to the gym tomorow morning before work and try to belt out a 200kg deadlift, the worst thing that can happen is that i fail.

ok so i got up early this morning for a session, which i wasnt really up for because i usually work out around 7pm.

attempting to do a 200kg deady

deadlift

100x5

140x5

180x1

200x1

at this point i had an bloke of about 55 come up to me and ask me if i did any powerlifting comps, to which i replied, no im not really strong enough i just enjoy lifting. when he found out that i was 17 he insisted that i should keep going and give powerlifting ago.

top bloke, ended up helping me with my technique and egging me on when i went for 200kgs

which i ended up getting for one, but i struggled to get it up and almost dropped it at the top of the rep so im going to have to work on my forearm strength

he also kept on the bar i was using after i had finished putting away 170kg deadllifts for pretty high reps.

i kept the rest of the workout short as i have a game tomorow

bent rows

100x8

90x8

90x8

military press

65x8

70x7

70x7

helped my sister move house today for about 11 hours and i have the flu

i havent been to the gym since friday because it was closed all weekend due to floor resurfacing

excuses aside,

squat

60x8

100x8

100x8

110x5

Lunges

one lap of the wieght room with 20kg dumbells

Flat bench press

60x10

100x8

100x8

dumbell press

35x6

35x6

35x6

Bodyweight dips

standing dumbell curls

25x8

20x8

20x8

i left at this point because i was feeling rather iffy

im going to try and get a good nights sleep and hit it up tomorow for a decent session

in the meantime ill be eating like crazy to try and put back on the kilo i lost over the weekend :(

woke up this morning feeling a fair bit better

bought some on protein powder today too

Deadlift

100x8

140x8

180x3 (i was really happy with that)

140x5

bent rows (palms facing up)

100x8

90x8

90x8

wide grip chins

4 (i suck)

military press

60x8

70x6

70x6

seated dumbell shoulder press

30's x 8

30's x 8

30's x 8

calf raises

180x12

180x12

180x12

on a machine where the weight is resting on your lower back and your body is shaped like in an L

didnt really feel like i was pushing myself in some of my exercises today

next session ill really step it up when im feeling 100%

went for a session this morning, was keen to push myself a little harder, especially in my squat after realising how weak it is compared to my other lifts.

squat

100x5

120x5

140x3

150x1

150xfail (this is a new 1rm for me, but i dont think it was really deep enough)

lunges

20 kilos dumbells

15 steps

15 steps

military press

70x5

75x3

75x2

60x10

thats the heaviest ive ever military pressed, im starting to platue and im not happy:(

seated dumbell shoulder press

30x8

30x6

30x6

standing dumbell curls

25x8

25x5

25x5

going to the coast for the next few days so i wanted to get a session in before i left

deadlift

100x5

140x5

180x3 :)

200x1 (felt pretty tired didnt think id get it, but its becoming easier)

bent rows

100x7

90x8

90x8

wide grip chins

bench wanted to work on bar speed today

60x5

100x5

100x5

100x5

my tris were killing after this for some reason

dumbell press

35x8

35x7

35x8

played a game today, wasnt to happy with how i went so i decided to hit the gym after

squat

60x10

100x8

140x2

100x5

one lap of the weight room lunges (20s)

military press

60x10

70x8

75x2

70x6

seated dumbell press

35x7

30x8

30x8

alternated dumbell curls and sissy bar curls

another session

deadlift

100x8

140x8

180x3

200x1 (after one failed attempt where the bar slipped straight out of my right hand) :blush:

bent rows curls grip

100x5

90x8

90x7

wide grip chins

6 (new pb) good considering i wasnt fresh

bench bar speed again, still not happy with it

60x10

100x6

120x4

100x5

incline bench

80x8

80x8

80x8

Dumbell chest press

40x6

40x6

40x6

cable tricep extension didnt know the weight, machine just had numbers from 1-15

10x12

10x12

10x12

then again with a rope thingy

standingcalf raises (machine)

120x8

140x8

140x8

half way through the session my mate turned up and i decided to humour him by following his exercise routine, which explains the cable tris and extra chest exercises

i was feeling really strong today, id done nothing all day except screw around with my mates car and i went to the gym around 7 when i enjoy going

squat

100x5

140x5 :)

150x3 decent depth, much like the last one i in my squat video where i did 140 this i was very very happy with

Lunges

30s

one lap of the weights area

followed by hanging leg raises

Nice squats mate.

Your are definately a strong one.

keep it up :yes:

went to the gym today with the sole purpose of setting a new military press 1rm

Military press

60x5

80x2 (theres that pb :)

72.5x4

60x7

seated dumbell press

30x8

30x8

30x7

bodywieght dips

cg bench

60x10

60x10

60x10

this exercise is new to me, so i kept the weight down, im not sure about my technique bexause it seems to hurt my wrists, maybe there too close together, not sure

Load up the ezy bar instead of using a barbell for your CG Bench if your wrists are hurting bad, otherwise you might end up a cripple like me with a bung wrist :P

Why are your seated dumbell shoudler presses so light?

Even at 8 reps with only 30kg dumbells you should barely even notice them, especially if you are capable of MP'ing 80kg for reps, kinda seems a bit pointless doing them at that weight unless your doing the arnold shoulder presses

i have trouble getting the weights from resting on my quads to the starting position at shoulder level, unless i stand up and swing them up then sit, which i hate doing, regardless, 30s still feel pretty heavy for me, especially after a military press set

hmmm ez bar... genious, never thought of that

I sometimes wonder about you guys, what about when your sitting you rest the weights on your knees and using your legs you can throw them up, isnt it kinda logical? :P

like so...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sXhZ8Pp894&mode=related&search="]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sXhZ8Pp894...ted&search=[/url]

i always do that, except now looking at that video i think it might help if i have the wieght more towards my knee than my waist.

Yeah have them sit on your knees and you will have better leverages to throw them up, you kinda flick your foot like a really explosive calve raise and away it goes ;)

havent been eating properly in a few days and had 2 big nights this weekend, nights like those and the days following make me realise how detremental even just a few drinks are to your progress, not only with the whole testosterone lowering and the whole slowing protein synthesis thing, but also it kills your eating habits and appetite for days. i never drink to excess, but im considering quitting regardless. oh and its a waste of money

deadlift

100x5

140x5

180x1

200x1 (that was hard, which was weird)

bent rows curls grip

90x8

90x8

90x8

wide grip chins

5, 5, 4 (getting more consistant, but still piss weak)

bench speed again, im already feeling the benefits so im gonna keep working with low weight and speed until i plateau again

60x5

100x5

110x5

110x5 not to far off 1rm and very very easy, me thinks i can up my 1rm, but ill leave it until i have a spot

dumbell chest press

40x7

40x8

40x7

threw in some sissy curls to finish off

not a bad session, definately looking to chuck some more weight on my dl some time soon

also im feeling pretty fatigued during my workout, all this talk of dextrose is making condsider trying it, and its so cheap you cant go wrong

damn your getting strong lol

"200x1 (that was hard, which was weird)"

:lol::blink::ph34r:

i was feeling nice and strong today, didnt play rugby this weekend, gave my ankle a rest and my lecture was cancelled tonight so i went for a session

squat rack wasnt free so i changed it up a bit

military press cleaned from the waist up on the first rep (locked out legs)

60x8

70x5

75x4

80 fail (couldnt clean it up from the waist)

60x10

seated dumbell press

35x5

35x6

35x5

that felt great new weight thanks to adams tip although i found it hard to get up the first time because im used to pulling it up from about my waist, but after that it was markedly easier

still not strong enough to rep them out after a military press sesion

squat wanted to prove to myself i could sqaut 150 deep

(quick warmup)

100x5

140x2

150x1(absolutely destroyed that)

160x1 (new pb, probably legal too)

threw on 140 to finish off, got 3 out then dropped it due to no real break between that set and the last

lunges

one lap of the weight room with 20s

very happy with that session

pbs are coming up like crazy, but alas im back at uni now, i think the progress will slow relatively quickly...

need to get a mate to the gym to get my lifts recorded

ghosty how do u set up ur phone to be angles at u during ur lifts?

UR1STRONGMOTHERf**kER

thx champ

still abit off the 4 platers others are doing, but im happy with my efforts

My phone can sit both ways cos of the case I have, buuuut the better option for you is to go to the nearest fitness first during peak hour, pay the $15 casual visit fee walk around and find the HOTTEST chick there and ask her to "help you with something over there", get her to hold the camera while you deadlift 5 plates and she'll be all over you like a rash ;)

went today to commence the new deadlift program that marcos is using

power rack was taken so switched it around a little

bench

60x5

100x5

i spotted my mate at this point and decided F*&K it, go for a 1rm because this chance doesnt arise that often, just had to wait for him to finish his set

100x5

140x2 (new pb, was piss easy bar flew up first rep. bar speed work is great 150 is my next goal)

dumbell press

40x8

40x8

40x8 (this was too easy, time to step up to 45s)

deadlifts

60x8

60x8

95x5

125x5

145x5

as per program, last set was a little tiring because i was trying for shorter breaks and the extra reps were killer because im used to pretty big gap when deadlifting because im working toward my 1rm every session

bent rows

90x8

90x8

90x8

wide grip chins

very happy with that, i feel that the bench wasnt pushing myself, in about 2 weeks im going to go for 150, until then its all going to be speed work, i couldnt beleive how fast the bar flew up for the 140, especially because i didnt think i had it in me

na mate, just working purely on bar speed which is something id never really heard of/thought about before marcos mentioned it in another thread. after a few weeks of speed work i knew my 1rm was going to come up, as i said one of my previous sessions so i just gave it a whirl