Sign in to follow this  
Thesqual

Hey everybody (: need help, buying a silvia soon!

hey thanks for checking this post out, every comment helps. :D

I've managed to save up $13,000 to spend on a car. I've also got a bit to buy a little run around car if the Silvia needs some work done.

I really love the looks of the 180sx and S13. i've visited a few other forums and wanted to know a few things.

(Wanting to get one with a less modifications as possible and stock power.)

-How comfortable is the ride in either of them? (Wanting to get one to use as a daily.)

-Any common problems? the car is getting on in years.

-i love the 180sx, but if i was to get one i'm hoping to score a type x. i probably need a bigger budget tho.

-Has anyone else here have a 180sx or s13 as their daily? it be nice to hear about it (:

-Any friendly tips in general?

Thats basically it, I don't care about fuel economy ect if i did, its the wrong car. ahaha.

Would it be better to wait for a typex 180 to come along? (i do love the looks of the body kit and seats xD)

thanks guys. (:

With 13K, you will get a very tidy 180, even a typex with mods!

Just look and take your time. people ask way too much and it's a buyers market at the moment!

take your time, have a look around, theres plenty to choose from at the moment, and yeah fuel economy goes out the window especially running 20+psi lol. I was getting 350kms to a tank, tank cost $70-80 to fill. fun times.

I think theres a guide perhaps on this forum, or google "guide to buying used car" and just check out all the things to look for, like leaky fluids, oil colour etc etc.

Good luck and hope you find something nice.

• Upvote 1

How comfortable is the ride in either of them? (Wanting to get one to use as a daily.)

Ride comfort is fine on stock struts, but the comfort of coilovers varies. The sunroof will cut headroom by an inch and the stock seats position you super f**king high. Everything else is normal, and there are no particular ergonomic or comfort issues that stand out.

Any common problems? the car is getting on in years.

Problems are situational, and in most cases are specific to how you're driving it or what the bastard before you did before you. For instance, I bought mine years ago in excellent stockish condition, but killed it skidding with a friend. The car was fine, but for how I was driving it I should have first fitted a baffled sump, as the oil starvation killed the engine.

The one guarantee that you'll have on a well-maintained example are worn/cracked/petrified bushes, namely the control arm bushes/engine mounts/gearbox mounts/steering column spacer/rack bushes/tie rod ends/subframe mounts/gearstick bush/balljoints. If you can find a nice example, I strongly recommend you buy a complete set of replacement bushes as your first task, before you become so addicted to driving it that you can't handle the downtime. I went with the following parts:

• Megan Racing vulcanised rubber control arm bushes/rack bushes
  • Ebay tie rod ends/balljoints
  • Whiteline urethane subframe mounts
  • Nissan gearstick bush
  • Nismo engine mounts/gearbox mount
  • GK Tech alloy steering column spacer

Once you have the parts, buy a decent set of metric spanners, 1/2" socket driver set and a 1/2" torque wrench, then haul ass to get them in the car:

• Remove all your suspension arms to get the bushes pressed out and in by a shop
  • Take your whole subframe to get the bushes pressed out by a shop
  • Swap the rack/steering/gearbox/gearstick bushes yourself because it's piss easy for a noob to do
  • Get two mates to help you lift the sumbframe into position and bolt it in
  • Put all the suspension arms back in
  • Drain and put new oil in the diff and fit that too
  • Take the car to the nearest tyre shop and get a full wheel alignment
  • Check out some guides on swapping the engine mounts, assess your tools, and see how you go. It's a pain to do it with the engine in the car, but it can be done.

Now many people will be looking at my suggestion as "wtf pmod, just buy the car and drive it, what is wrong with you", and they aren't entirely wrong. I'm not trying to turn you off the car, as you could definitely buy one, drive it and it will be fantastic. However, having done everything I mentioned myself, I assure you it's well worth the time and expense, as the end result is a Silvia that drives straight, feels really tight in corners and basically drives like a brand new car, because the most of it is new. The reason I suggest it is that once you start driving the car, there's no way you'll be prepared to take it off the road for a few weeks to do something like this. Been there, done that. If you do it before you even drive it much, you'll have a sweet ride from the beginning and eliminate 80% of the handling problems the car might have.

i love the 180sx, but if i was to get one i'm hoping to score a type x. i probably need a bigger budget tho.

You have enough money. Find a clean Type X and enjoy. Sick cars.

Has anyone else here have a 180sx or s13 as their daily? it be nice to hear about it (:

I catch a train to work, but I've run my 180 for absolutely everything else. They're an easy car to live with - great to drive, easy to park, easy to see out of, decent on fuel even with a bit of boosting, and can hold a lot of cargo. Unbolt and remove the passenger seat and you would be amazed at the volume you can haul around.

Any friendly tips in general?

Be very selective, and never forget that exterior aesthetics come first. Obviously you want the engine and drivetrain to perform, but the exterior is the most annoying and expensive thing to deal with. Replacement engines and gearboxes really aren't all that pricey, but paint work is.

I also recommend replacing the front seats with something better, like seats from an S15, R32GTR, R33GTR, Recaro SR3 + aftermarket rails, Recaro SR4 + aftermarket rails. The factory seats suck balls tbh.

Oh, and put the small chicks in the back seat even if they call shotgun, because guys of average height or greater will bitch a lot about the headroom.

Thats basically it, I don't care about fuel economy ect if i did, its the wrong car. ahaha.

No big deal. The fuel economy for sensible driving is actually quite good for what it is.

Would it be better to wait for a typex 180 to come along? (i do love the looks of the body kit and seats xD)

Yes. It's a lot easier and cheaper to buy a clean TypeX off the bat, than something else and piece the kit together. People tend to keep genuine TypeX 180s looking tidy too, so nice examples exist and can be found within your budget.

Edit: Seems I wrote a lot. My bad. TL;DR - Buy a clean 180sx and love life.

Edited by pmod
  • Upvote 2

LoL Pmod, always so thorough and helpful :wub:

Edited by brent47

LoL Pmod, always so thorough and helpful :wub:

Haha, cheers. It's a habit from all the technical documentation and correspondance I write for work.

I have daily driven my type X for the last 7 years and its never given me problems beyond universal sports car things like stiff ride, rattles and noises and the general attention from society that wants you to believe you are a menace on the road.

Having said that a mate has one too from the same year and has nothing but trouble.

It depends entirely on the car you buy.

First thing i would check is that its a genuine X. this is easy to tell by the year of manufacture. Some cars get complianced wrong (like mine) and end up being 'built' in the year they were complied. check the chassis number for year of manufacture.

next, check panels line up correctly, check for overspray around common impact points (rear quarters, rad support, under the door sils/skirts) and avoid anything with widebody (as they are usually installed poorly)

KMs are probably a non issues as they are all wound back at some stage. go more on the overall condition of the bodywork and the bushings in the arms. gearbox feel and engine feel is a good indicator too. factory caster arms that dont leak are a good sign. avoid stuff with lots of adjustable arms as the rose joints flog out quick on public roads, they are noisy and uncomfortable.

check the quality of work on modifications - twist and tape wiring is always a bad sign, and scotch locks are a close second. crappy welds or bits and pieces just thrown into place or mix/match bolts and nuts are a warning sign too.

on the test drive, listen for vibrations and knocks and other noises.

Coilovers, especially shitty ones, cause a lot of fatigue on the chassis. too low, too stiff, and they damage the strut buckets.

Lastly, the best judge of a cars history is by judging its owner.

everything else has already been said.

• Upvote 1

Thanks guys (: I plan to keep it as stock as possible, kinda want to give it the "factory fresh" look (:

If anything it should be better than trying to drive my brothers car. (Ratty as hell ford xd, with a v8 4L or 5L)

Yeah, i don't plan to drift it or anything, if i wanted to drift i'll just buy a cheap s13 with mods already (:

Thanks again guys, Big Help! (: