Sign in to follow this  
harris.

Rebuilding Calipers

So I'm thinking of rebuilding a set of 33 brakes before I put them on my car, because they have been sitting around for a million years and who knows what life they have lived..

My question is about the bolts that are used to hold the calipers together.. I know that I can just buy a rebuild kit for the piston seals and whatnot,

http://www.kudosmotorsports.com/catalog/nissan-brake-caliper-rebuild-seal-kit-front-complete-end-genuine-nissan-350z-z33-skyline-r32-gtr-r33-gtr-r34-gtr-v35-350gt-brembo-p-399.html

But none of the rebuild kits i can find have the bolts included as well.. Do i just reuse the bolts or do I have to track down some new ones?

thanks boys..

If you're talking about caliper mounting bolts and you want fresh ones, go to your bolt shop.

But you don't split the caliper, when you rebuild, just blow the pistons out with compressed air, clean, replace seal/boots etc

Yeah, I woudn't split the caliper if I were you Harris; just blow the pistons out with a block of wood thinner than the brake rotor in the middle. The only reason to split the caliper is if it's leaking between the halves, which is unlikely. From memory, Nissan doesn't regard the orings that join the halves as being a servicable part, even though most rebuild kits come with those orings.

Edited by pmod

ah ok, yeah im talking about the bolt that holds the two halves of the calipers together, not the actual mounting bolts.. I believe that one of the 33 calipers i have was weeping from the centre join thing, so that's something im going to have to deal with..

Thanks for the help boys.. ;)