Sign in to follow this  
Spazo

Can I buy a phone in Los Angeles and expect it to work back here in AUS?

Simple question but I've asked a few ppl and none of them knew?

I want to buy a samsung when I get into LA next week (probably an s4 or older) and I want to know if I can bring it back to Australia and use it here. I'm with Telstra..

Goole cell fequencies.

From what I remember it will not work, one from UK will but USA wont.

But that was ages ao and the frequencies might have aligned up now with 3g-4g etc.

freqencies are also listed in bands, so if the phone covers our bands and their bands it will work.

I expect a quad-band phone will work, as a quad band Australian phone works overseas. Raise a question with the manufacturer before you leave.

Thanks...

Samsung support on facebook:

Unfortunately we cannot not speculate whether or not it will work in your region however in order to be able to use your warranty if you are ever in need of repair you would need a US address. ^Zoe

f**k me dead. Not much of a support service is it?

well my iphone 5 worked in the US/Canada so i assume an american phone would work here?

Yeah our phones work there, there's no doubt about that.

Telstra said as long as the phone works on 850, 1800 and 2100mhz. Will look it up later. Might just buy the phone before I leave if at all.

Edited by Spazo

GSM Arena used to list supported frequencies on phones. Look for something that's Telstra exclusive and compare it to whatever you're planning on buying in the US :)

I worked with a guy who had a Galaxy S2 that was made specially for a US carrier. It was either Sprint or Verizon but it had no trouble working here.

I just got a prepaid card from t mobile.. My Telstra sim didn't work when I got into LA and it was the first shop I saw (you can get desperate when you lose all service on your phone suddenly).

The coverage is crap. Walking in downtown LA (which is f**ked btw) I got lost and maps wouldn't load. If you're travelling to the US go with AT&T.

Thanks for the tips, cash is lowish so I decided not to buy just yet.

Oh i didn't realize you simply wanted mobile data in the USA.

I usually go with T Mobile when i go to the USA because AT&T do not sell BYO phone sim cards. If you want AT&T you have to buy an AT&T phone, and they lock you to their network so you cannot take it elsewhere.

The problem with T Mobile is they do not have a 3g network, only 2g and 4g, so if you do not have a 4g phone, you might as well have no internet because 2g is worse than useless.

I just got back from Hawaii and i found the 4g coverage to be woeful on the less populated Hilo island, but Oahu (Honolulu) was pretty good.

Originally I wanted a phone but I second guessed my budget and decided against it. Think I'll get one when I get home.

Actually I have 3G and I'm with t mobile over here so that's a bit weird about the networks. A Canadian chick who lived in Melbourne was on the plane from syd to LA - she said she was with Telstra and it connected to AT&T whenever she was in the US so I don't know what's going on there. My Telstra sim didn't work at all when I got here.

Originally I wanted a phone but I second guessed my budget and decided against it. Think I'll get one when I get home.

Actually I have 3G and I'm with t mobile over here so that's a bit weird about the networks. A Canadian chick who lived in Melbourne was on the plane from syd to LA - she said she was with Telstra and it connected to AT&T whenever she was in the US so I don't know what's going on there. My Telstra sim didn't work at all when I got here.

In order for your Telstra Sim to work you need to call Telstra and ask them to allow international roaming. However the charges involved are stupidly expensive, ESPECIALLY data!

I'm surprised you got 3G reception in LA, maybe my phone (Galaxy S3) didn't posess the needed radio frequency.

Edited by Chappy