Sign in to follow this  
Johno333

EVO Brembo's on Rear of s-chassis

So a mate has decided against a braking setup on his car, and has sold me his evo 8 brakes for cheap.

I am aware that to fit the setup i will need a BM57, and to fit the fronts i will need to either remove or modify the dust cover and get some conversion brackets.

but what I'm struggling to find some hard evidence on is how people setup the rear…. Some people say STI brembo's on the rear need some washers or spacers and they just bolt on…. some people say its the same case for the evo brakes…. some people say the evo brakes are different and i saw on one forum someone mention evo rear callipers will need grinding and re drilling in order to fit….

But the evo runs shoes for the handbrake on the rear just like the skylines and z32.. i haven't seen anyone mention anything about this so does that whole setup just swap in?

I know i can easily just buy a rear brake setup off a z32 or a skyline or something and swap it in… but i already have these as i bought the whole package… so just wanted to find someone who has done it, or knows exactly whats needed to do it, and weigh my options from there.

anyone with actual knowledge on the matter will be highly appreciated :D

everything you've read online about EVO rears is just as you read it. dont think ive seen anyone ever going through to make it work cause its just too much trouble and money.

Evo brembo fronts, R33 GTST rear. BM57. why make life hard when this combo works and works great and still is cheaper then GTR brembo setup which is another option.

by the time you figure out how to get EVO rears working, it'll pay for a r33 rear already with plug and play.

Edited by AE86557

Fair enough. I just thought since I had them already I'd give them a go...

But if that's the case may as well just do what you said and get r33 rears.

Do you know any cars that upgrade to Evo rears? So I have a general idea of who to pitch selling the rear setup to huehuehuehuehue

Or I'll hang them in my garage to forever symbolise my failure

if you already have the calipers and a day to waste, jack up your car and have a look, take the rotor off and measure the inside diameter of the drum brake setup and compair to the evo, if there pretty much the same then measure how deep they are,

basically what some people gave up on of didnt try might not of even been looked at properly, thats the problem with the internet.

and if they were right then its just a day wasted, thats half the fun of modding cars

^ What Scott said.

I haven't done this myself, but I've had to play the engineering game so many times planning the various mods I do, I can confirm that what he said is quite true. Get a set of Vernier Calipers and have some fun.

but why make something so easy so complicated. R33 gtst is big enough, and for extra bling, GTR brembo rears.

you might as well go proper aftermarket 6 pot fronts and 4 pot rear setup if you want to be different.

yeah dont bother, i was in your position too lol .

evo brembos at the front, bm57 off r33 GTR (ABS), and r33 gtst rear setup.

It gives you the advantage of having a drum handbrake setup, so while you get your pads hot and what not, you can still yank at the handbrake and get a consistent feeling from it.

make sure you get the r33 handbrake cables, youll be able to connect them without dropping the subframe, dont listen to people otherwise lol.

and .. have decent rear pads and discs, or else youll have bias and abs issues. I found this out the hard way :P

We did this years ago when we were developing the 350mm EVO Brembo front brake kit, here it is all set up ready for testing:

evobremborear.jpg

But before testing it we tried just the 350mm EVO Brembo fronts with the standard Nissan rear 2pot brakes and the bias was actually good, we were very satisfied.

After development and testing we found that the time and effort costs to do the EVO rear would have been more expensive than the fronts, and also more expensive than using Skyline GTR Brembo rears, so for these reasons we stopped further development of a rear EVO Brembo setup.

Customers who use standard Silvia or Skyline rear brakes and are very happy when teamed up with the front Evo 350mm Brembo brake kit.

evobrembofront.jpg

yeah dont bother, i was in your position too lol .

evo brembos at the front, bm57 off r33 GTR (ABS), and r33 gtst rear setup.

It gives you the advantage of having a drum handbrake setup, so while you get your pads hot and what not, you can still yank at the handbrake and get a consistent feeling from it.

make sure you get the r33 handbrake cables, youll be able to connect them without dropping the subframe, dont listen to people otherwise lol.

and .. have decent rear pads and discs, or else youll have bias and abs issues. I found this out the hard way :P

Yeah have just decided to buy r33 rear setup and a bm57, just need to get some handbrake cables from taarks and an adapter for the front. Also found out my lmgt4's don't clear them on the front :(

I don't have abs lel

We did this years ago when we were developing the 350mm EVO Brembo front brake kit, here it is all set up ready for testing:

evobremborear.jpg

But before testing it we tried just the 350mm EVO Brembo fronts with the standard Nissan rear 2pot brakes and the bias was actually good, we were very satisfied.

After development and testing we found that the time and effort costs to do the EVO rear would have been more expensive than the fronts, and also more expensive than using Skyline GTR Brembo rears, so for these reasons we stopped further development of a rear EVO Brembo setup.

Customers who use standard Silvia or Skyline rear brakes and are very happy when teamed up with the front Evo 350mm Brembo brake kit.

evobrembofront.jpg

Cheers for the advice.

Will probabwly be hitting you guys up in the near future :)