Sign in to follow this  
curtis1995

1999 Hiace won't run, please help need to get to work Monday!

Hi there, I have a 1999 Toyota hiace with the 2rz-e engine, the van has done 350,000 kms and I've done 40,000 myself. The van always had a problem but I never bad enough to look into it further but I wish I had now. Anyway what the van used to do was kind of cut out/misfire/bog down when the tank would be less than a quarter and I'd be giving it a bit of throttle. Unfortunately yesterday it was a lot worse and was doing it a lot further down the rev range almost to the point where I could drive it. I was at work going from one job to another when all of a sudden i lost all power and couldn't even maintain my speed as the slightest touch on the throttle would cause it to misfire. I can to a stop at the side of the road, engine still running but not too smooth, I tried revving it up to see if I could nurse it home but wouldn't even go over about 1000rpm. When I have it full throttle the engine would chug and splutter and shake violently, it would rev up for a second or two but then drop straight back down and even backfire quite loudly. I changed my spark plugs, leads, and air filter about 15,000 kms ago and I didn't use the cheap crap either. My guess is the engine is being starved of something so I'm thinking:

- fuel pump has given up

- crap in the tank has been sucked up and blockage (unlikely)

- fuel filter (ice never changed it as its in quite a hard spot to get to

-distributor

My question is, has anyone else ever had trouble like this and what exactly did you do to fix it, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Curtis :)

Edited by curtis1995