Sign in to follow this  
lonawifabona

1jz mx83 build

Hello guys/girls.

Just bought a mx83 cressida and also a 1jz vvti engine. Goals are to build a super cheap drift beater.

Currently stripped the motor down todo big end and conrod bearings. Also piston rings. Found 2x valve steam seals leaking but everything else was in very good condition.

Now while I wait to recieve some parts what parts should I keep in the cressida engine bay and what should i ditch, note this is a track car only. Any advice and help will be appriciated.

Edited by lonawifabona

some bits have arrived.

Main and connecting road shells, piston rings and also front and rear crank seals.

honed the cylinders. cleaned the block and mating surfaces. Replaced all seals, rings and shells.

re-assemlbed the bottom end back togeather.

I completly stripped the head. removed steam seals and lapped in the valves.

Here are some pictures of my build so far.

20170607_184626.jpg

20170609_175053.jpg

20170610_172252.jpg

20170624_120029.jpg

20170620_202914.jpg

Edited by lonawifabona

Very nice! Grandpa drifting ftw. Going back to the question in your first post, there's really not much in a Cressida to ditch if you're changing the engine, as with the 7MGE out, there's no cruise control left and the giant intake setup will be gone.

Personally, I'd change the BMC and lose the ABS unit (assuming it even had it), ditch the AC condensor and lines, ditch the bonnet insulation, midmount the intercooler under the radiator support and cut some extra intake holes in the bumper to avoid fitment issues, swap the giant charcoal cannister for a tiny one from another car, and that's about it. You'll probably want to add an oil cooler and a power steering cooler, unless you were keeping the stock radiator for some reason, in which case it should have a tranny cooler in the bottom iirc. Get a small battery and leave it in the front, then drop in the 1J in, cut/hammer your wheel tubs and do something with the knuckles for more lock.

If the overheating issues with the MX83/MA70 are anything to go by, it would be worth cutting a rear bonnet vent for the rear cylinders to vent trapped heat, as well as install a fat radiator with decent thermo fans. Pretty standard stuff tbh. Gutting the interior should net you a lot of weight savings.

Thanks mate I'll make sure i do them things. Hopefully end of this week the head will be back on the block.

Next on my todo list is to find some used 2jz injectors and figure out what turbo will be good to use goals are 250-280 kw any suggestions?

Edited by lonawifabona

High flow turbo will make that power. But if you want headroom for more go a kelway manifold,44mm gate and a kinugawa t67 25g 10cm. Not sure how you are going to get 2j injectors to fit as they are side feed. Vvti 1j is top feed.

For my power goals will it be cheaper and easier getting a stock ecu and using a piggy back system on it?

Not teally. Simple and easy would be a power fc and a z32.

Bit more but will get better results would be like a haltech ps1000

20170707_185724.jpg

20170707_190648.jpg

20170709_111931_001.jpg

20170709_112212.jpg

20170711_134139.jpg

20170711_134145.jpg

20170711_134154.jpg

Bit of an update. Spent my weekend stripping the interior and fitting a 1jz engine loom in. Here are some photos to show what I have done.

Sorced out recently some engine mounts for the 1j.

Trying to decide what clutch to get.

purchased some drop in Denso 530cc injectors for a very cheap price.

trying to source a power fc that is reasonable price.

need to order in a 1jz-w58 bellhousing, fork and bearing carrier.

Ill also be ordering a fuel cell, surge tank and some pumps soon. ( do i need to keep the charcoal canister?)

Edited by lonawifabona

Well im back after ordering bits and pieces

I have now received:

One piece tail shaft

New power fc

Alloy radiator with thermos

Intercooler with piping

Clutch and fly wheel to suit a 1jz to w58

engine and gearbox mounts

Also a custom made clutch pedal/master

Will post photos up shortly off all parts

Edited by lonawifabona