B00sted180

Sr20 Cylinder Head Question

Hi Everyone,

I'm in need of a new head to replace my current one but the one I looked at has been dismantled and everything thrown into a container. Looking at all the parts it seems it's missing a cam cap and some shims etc.

My question is, is it worth getting this head or move on and find another one. I'm wanting to simply get another head and transplant everything from my current head into the new one. Before anyone asks why, my current head has been machined way too much and has increased the compression too much and preventing me to achieve what I want from the engine.

Cheers

I have a couple of red-top heads spare, whether they have all been dismantled I don't recall, but I can check it out and let you know. Shipping to SA would be a bitch though.

If at all possible, you want a head with matching cam caps. Everything else you can adjust quite easily, whether it be rockers, shims or valve guides, as it's just a question of measuring with a dial gauge and swapping in replacement shims from your parts box or TAARKS. Truth be told, you shouldn't rely on old shims being to spec, given the engine is 20 years old, and reusing shims by replacing them in their original location should be reserved for a quick-and-dirty engine rebuild. I only changed the valve guides and valve stem seals on my head due to time constraints, but at some point I'm sure I'll sort them out and hopefully smooth the valve train out.

The cam caps however need to match the head, or you might have to have a line hone done, and how viable that is depends on wear.