Sign in to follow this  
sixteenshots

The fight game

You guys all need to watch the movie Kickboxer with Jean Claude Van Damme, everything you need to know is in this film, everything.

why kickboxer? bloodsport doesn't cut it lol?

Well, lets have a look. Brother crippled, no. Girlfriend raped, no. Cooky trainer, no. Buckle up singlet, no. Split palm tress, no.

No contest really, Kickboxer wins over Bloodsport.

Next.

a padded bag wont induce the trauma needed to calcify the bone. a glass bottle doesnt do it either but it will damage the nerves enough so u can start kicking hard without having to stop after 2 kicks. when u kick another guys shin its not like a punching bag, its sharp and hard.

i KNEW there would be at least 1 person who would say shit like that.

I've been doing muay thai for 5 years - the proper way, on the heavy bag.

Ok, you're right when you say a hard object will deaden your nerves and you wont feel pain, that is true. HOWEVER, be sure to post back here in 5-10 years when you cannot walk due to the MASSIVE amount of damage done to your shins by doing this. Look it up, ask your doctor, even ask your trainer he or she will tell you. and if your trainer says "nah nah, you'll be fine" then he's a stooge.

Although it takes longer to condition your shins on the heavy bag, and constant conditioning is required, atleast when you finish training one day you'll be able to live a pain free life coz your shins wont be f**ked beyond repair.

/rant

I trained for 2 years when I was 15 and basically came to the same conclusion, what's the point if I'm going to be a cripple at 30?

You learn how to punch kick elbow & grapple, then just get big and strong so you can punch kick elbow & grapple harder :P

/2c

anyone have any good program's or can link me to any for building punching power?

The training i'm doing atm doesn't really suit my goals now I'm looking to fight, the fact iv'e got to drop weight changes the game completely.

I know a lot of it comes down to technique, but i want to make my lifting better suit boxing. I've started back doing clean and presses and kb complexes again, gonna start doing some plyo exercises too.

Any advice or links to good articles or programs appreciated.

anyone have any good program's or can link me to any for building punching power?

The training i'm doing atm doesn't really suit my goals now I'm looking to fight, the fact iv'e got to drop weight changes the game completely.

I know a lot of it comes down to technique, but i want to make my lifting better suit boxing. I've started back doing clean and presses and kb complexes again, gonna start doing some plyo exercises too.

Hey mate, you said it yourself, a lot of it does come down to technique. I cross trained muay thai and boxing for a while, i found that the punches and general stance in boxing limited my power, however that particular style/stance helped me keep your feet firm on the ground while being attacked.

In terms of how to make your punch stronger, think about the muscle groups you are using when you punch;

a ) your back

b ) your shoulders

c ) your triceps

your bi's dont really come into it too often unless you're a shorter guy who needs to work closer to your opponent with uppercuts etc.

Personally i found that i had a LOT more power coming out of my punches using the muay thai/kickboxing technique where you use your hips to twist into the punch and follow through. However, at the same time you gotta make sure you pull back quick enough to be able to defend yourself.

also, you might wanna check out a martial arts forum, i've found this to be one of the better ones. www.martialartsplanet.com

Edited by SX2BU

MASS

F=MA

or for those of you non-physicsists, Force = Mass x Acceleration, ..easiest way to get a harder punch is to put on weight (preferably muscle), or get stronger so you can move faster to better utilise what mass you do have.

Personally i found that i had a LOT more power coming out of my punches where you use your hips to twist into the punch and follow through

This is because you get more weight behind the fist (i.e. more mass) ;), see above ^

Mass isn't an option ghosty, gotta drop weight to fight at light heavy, but cheers for the input.

Yeah i understand about the following through of punches and rotation with hook/uppercut, work on it a lot at training. My trainer's have technique side covered, i was looking for conditioning work more or less.

a padded bag wont induce the trauma needed to calcify the bone. a glass bottle doesnt do it either but it will damage the nerves enough so u can start kicking hard without having to stop after 2 kicks. when u kick another guys shin its not like a punching bag, its sharp and hard.

i KNEW there would be at least 1 person who would say shit like that.

I've been doing muay thai for 5 years - the proper way, on the heavy bag.

Ok, you're right when you say a hard object will deaden your nerves and you wont feel pain, that is true. HOWEVER, be sure to post back here in 5-10 years when you cannot walk due to the MASSIVE amount of damage done to your shins by doing this. Look it up, ask your doctor, even ask your trainer he or she will tell you. and if your trainer says "nah nah, you'll be fine" then he's a stooge.

Although it takes longer to condition your shins on the heavy bag, and constant conditioning is required, atleast when you finish training one day you'll be able to live a pain free life coz your shins wont be f**ked beyond repair.

/rant

this is what i was getting at, clearly this dude has been watching too many documentaries on muay thai and not spent enough time training

I would like to add this to the thread:

300520091408.jpg

:quagmire:oooh yeah lap that shit up, original vhs quality

Ok so im guessing my training at them gym should rotate between 5x5 and 3 4 x 10 ect ..

What do you guys do..

For example with all my weight lifts i have been doing 5 x5 recently and i find it alot easier actually.. I find less weight but more sustained where my heart gets going for longer is alot harder then short explosive bursts and its finished.

(hope that makes sense)

So how should i be training? Or just keep going the same and practice punches to get better at punches ect ..

MASS

F=MA

or for those of you non-physicsists, Force = Mass x Acceleration, ..easiest way to get a harder punch is to put on weight (preferably muscle), or get stronger so you can move faster to better utilise what mass you do have.

When ur talking about punching, u need POWER not FORCE as such. Power = Force / Time. So to get more power u either increase ur strength, whilst not decreasing ur speed, or maintain ur strength and be faster. Ideally u'd wanna be able to increase the amount of force u can produce and decrease the amount of time, u need to generate that force, at the same time.

wait so in muay thai you basically wreck your shins something crazy? sounds so painful but i can understand if your actually doing proper fights as to why you would do it my shin can take like nothing and i'm on the ground crying like a girl haha

Why train to be strong need to defend yourself and break your own leg in the process? Muay thai trianing is generally alot of fighting, not like kung fu ect al prancing aorund together all lesson perfecting pattern work..

Practical wam bam thank you man..

unfortunately for me i'd hardly be strong enough to break my shin by kicking someone i have a lot of building up to do