Sign in to follow this  
Simon-S14

Tyre Review thread.

Can we sticky this once its gone a few pages?

we havent had a review thread for tyres in a while so i Thought i'd start one up to be stickied up so that people can read reviews before changing their tyre choices or upgrading.

We'll go with a format like this.

Tyre (make and model)

Price

Size used

PSI run

Review - go into detail about how you found the tyre to perform

Wear - How did the tyre wear

I know lots of people are going to post up the same tyre, but its interesting to get reviews from different people.

Im after reviews on Toyo Proxes 4's and Firenza's if anyone wishes to start.

you've got tyre size up there, would it pay to have rim width too?

if you feel its relevant, but generally speaking a 235/45/17 is going to perform the same on a 8 inch rim as it does on a 9 inch rim if they are the same brand.

Tyre: Hankook RS2

Price: $170 (on sale) usually double that

Size used: 225/40/18

PSI run: 34

Review - currently used at the front of my car, very very grippy, much grippier then my previous tyres (Toyo Proxes 4), road noise is VERY loud, extremely tough tread pattern. in the wet they are reasonable, these are like a street semi slick so you need a bit of heat in them before they really start to grip

Wear:

Tyre: Toyo Proxes 4

Price: $160 - $220

Size used: currently 225/40/18, had another set 225/40/16

Review - quite quiet for a sports tyre, good grip levels, dont require warming, decent in the wet, found them to be a bit sketchy at higher speeds

Wear: very good to be honest, have done plenty of skids, yet there's still heaps of tread, and this was on the 18 inch rims

mainly after track reviews and tyres used on the rears. but thanks for that anyway mate, Im keen to try some RS2's but cant find any in my size.

mainly after track reviews and tyres used on the rears. but thanks for that anyway mate, Im keen to try some RS2's but cant find any in my size.

try tempe tyres online. they have then for $150 a pop, cheap as

Can we sticky this once its gone a few pages?

un pin it for now pls and sticky it once its generated some replies.

wow!!!! RS2's for 150 in 18's???? you fu*king serious????? i would run them on the back for that much :o

but yeah the most loved of all but Myself and Team All type Crash is the **neuton**

REAR

Tyre: Neuton N5000

Price: $100 odd

Size used: 235/45/17

PSI run: around 30psi

Review - Use on the rear of all our drift cars and are by far the coolest ;)

Wear: Awesome :P

FRONT

Price: $250

Size Used: 225/45/17

PSI run: 22psi

Review - Awesome when new, they are half tread now and have lost alot of grip... need new tyres bad now!!! :(

Wear: was awesome.. didnt run the inside down at all and i run 4 degrees camber on the front ;)

Great Thread Simon ;)

REAR

Tyre: Kenda Komet

Price: $90 odd (depends where from)

Size used: 185/60/14

PSI run: around 30-35psi

Review - Use on the rear of my drift car (ae86), medium grip (great for the price)

Wear: AWESOME!, wear down to nothing, never delam.

FRONT

Tyre: Bridgestone Potenza RE001

Price: $150ishh

Size Used: 185/60/14

PSI run: 36psi

Review - Seem good, used to run GIII, these feel good just need to be stretched (on at least an 8j) to get rid of the sidewall flex.

Wear: Good wear with -3 Camber.

Rear:

Tyre: Neuton N500

Price: $90

Size used: 235/45/R17

PSI run: 36 Cold

Review: Awesome grip for price. Lasts 3 laps of Waneroo Raceway, Perth. Unbelievable amount of smoke once they bed in (usually takes 1 corner of drifting to bed/warm). VERY quick tyre.

Wear: Wears perfectly.

Footage: (Start @ 0:08 - 0:18)

Front:

Tyre: Toyo Proxes R1R

Price: $335

Size used: 235/45/R17

PSI run: 30 Cold (day temp: 25-30) - 26 Cold (day temp: 15-25)

Review: Unbelievable. I haven't had one understeering moment since and steering response is perfect. Takes 1 lap to warm up.

Wear: Excellent wear once heat gets into it. Hasn't last all that long though (6 comps).

Tyre: Toyo Proxes R888

Price: $408

Size used: 235/40/R17

PSI run: 25 Cold

Review: Shit house. Could not get heat into it. Had serious understeer issues.

Wear: Couldn't tell as the Tyre was not working properly.

Tyre: Admiral (Kuhmo)

Price: $120-130ish

Size used: 235/45 R17

PSI run: 32 cold

Review: pretty average grip, but it was a cheapie. didnt smoke up too much.

Wear: lasted a while, a whole praccy, 4 battles, and a expression session (180rwkw). wore down to bald, only slight delam at the very end where the rubber was touching canvas.

Tyre: wanli 1099 (i think)

Price: $110

Size used: 235/45 R17

PSI run: 35ish

Review: gripped a bit more, but these were the first ones i tried besides 2nd handers. not alot of smoke

Wear: Lasted pretty much a whole drift day with a stock powered car, great for practice days balling on a budjet but a step up from 2nd handers

FRONT

Tyre: Bridgestone Adrenalin RE001

Price: $150ishh

Size Used: 185/60/14

PSI run: 35psi

Review - Excellent, much better than my previous steer tire, grip perfect

Wear: Good wear so far with -2.5 camber

REAR

Tyre: Bridgestone Turanza

Price: Second hand

Size used: 175/70R13

PSI run: around 35psi

Review - Ran on the rear of drift ke70, pretty grippy for my car (stock 4age) took awhile to get used to the higher grip after always running shitters, worked well though just need a bit more power to spin them better

Wear: Good lasted the day with ease

whats the best cheapie 195/50/15 out there. seeing as u cant get neutons etc in that size. what is another good option?

street review

Tyre (make and model): Firenza ST-08

Price: $140 (+ free big dent in my sump :angry:)

Size used: 235/40/18

PSI run: 38

Review - i find it quite grippy, less noise then Neuton and personally prefer this over Neuton.

will be hitting the track soon so updates in a months time.

whats the best cheapie 195/50/15 out there. seeing as u cant get neutons etc in that size. what is another good option?

what do you call cheap??

you'll get "good" 195/50/15's for the same price as you'll get "cheap" 235/45/17

Interesting to see other peoples thoughts on what tyres they use.. So i though i would chuck myn up...

REAR

PSI run: 50psi B)

Review - Used these at Winton and the wear was even all the way down.

FRONT

Tyre: GoodYear Eagle F1 GSD-3

Price: $350

PSI run: 35psi

Review - Great wear and dont take long to heat up and have really good grip.

Tyre Have used plenty in my time, currently trying out some Yokohama S Drive

Price 160 ish

Size used 195 50 15

PSI run 34 front 32 rear

Review - so far have only done 2000km on them and have yet to really put them thru their paces on a hills run, did mount cootha on a semi wet night and they coped well with transitions from dampo to dry and vice versa...

Used to run Advan ES100 in the same size but they are no longer available...

they will make a decent front tyre for a drifter, as they have great feel and response with steering inputs..

Wear - Will let you know how these go... my last set of ES100's wore well for 2.5 deg camber on the rear (about 8-10,000km)... i have removed 1/3 of a degree front and rear so that i can wear them more evenly..

M

Tyre - Proxy 4

Price - $165-$210 (depending on size)

Size used - 215 45 17/205 55 16

PSI run - 35psi

Review - absolutly the best tyre to run on the rear, lasts a heck of a lot longer than any other tyre i have used, grip level is perfect and also no delam! down side is price though

Wear - awsome ;)

Front:

Tyre: Toyo T1R

Price: $100 each second hand (99% tread though)

Size used: 205/40/16

Review - Good for 2 laps in the dry then turn to absolute shit, tread feathered up really bad. In the wet they are awesome, didn't understeer at all, even in corners where i have had trouble with understeer in the dry

Wear: Only used them for 3 track days, seem to still have a lot of tread left

Rear:

Tyre: Toyo T1R

Price: $100 second hand (99% tread)

Size used: 205/40/16

PSI run: 36

Review - As above, two dry laps and they turn very greasy, In wet weather they are very grippy for the size of the tyre

Wear: I've used them for 2 track days on the rear now (1 dry, 1 wet) and they still have about 20% left which is very good, no delamination or tearing either

Tyre: Federal 595 SS

Price: $100 each

Size used 235/45/17

PSI run: 35

Review - Very consistent tyres, not amazingly grippy but they do pretty well. Haven't delaminated one yet (used about 10 pairs so far) and the grip doesn't fade when they start to run low on tread. Wear pretty well too, usually use 2 pairs on a full track day, about 50% on a short track

front&rear : hankook s1 evo ,

price: $150

size: 215/45/17

comment: i only got to do 4 laps due to a slight mishap :( but they are the grippiest tyre i've ever used , have a very good feel to them too , probably best suited to higher speed tracks

wow!!!! RS2's for 150 in 18's???? you fu*king serious????? i would run them on the back for that much :o

but yeah the most loved of all but Myself and Team All type Crash is the **neuton**

REAR

PSI run: around 30psi

Review - Use on the rear of all our drift cars and are by far the coolest ;)

Wear: Awesome :P

FRONT

Price: $250

PSI run: 22psi

Review - Awesome when new, they are half tread now and have lost alot of grip... need new tyres bad now!!! :(

Wear: was awesome.. didnt run the inside down at all and i run 4 degrees camber on the front ;)

Great Thread Simon ;)

Jake you said you run 22psi in the front is this right or just a typing mistake???

If so can i ask why?? is it something to do with set up or what not.

just a question :P

they seemed to be good at 22psi... they are kinda like a semi slick also...

just remeber that all tyres will be have differently with differnt cars and set ups..

the onevia of Squid is RB powered, and hence may be lighter / heavier than a SR set up..

that said with 22 psi in it, i am sure qwith some heat they would go to 34 ish quickly!!

M

just remeber that all tyres will be have differently with differnt cars and set ups..

the onevia of Squid is RB powered, and hence may be lighter / heavier than a SR set up..

that said with 22 psi in it, i am sure qwith some heat they would go to 34 ish quickly!!

M

Bingo ^_^

they have been up to 30psi when i have come back in from the track ;)

Tyre feddy 595

Price i got them on hook up id have to check the retail

Size used 215 / 45

PSI run 40 ish

Review - tyre was slipery when cold but once heated up for the price provided exellent level of grip

Wear - all the way down to the belts no delam.

Id also like to ive a shout out to neutrons as per twisted sil i dont know the make as id have to ownstairs and chek ut the SOB will not die make awesome smoke and wear all the way down evenly

Price: $100 each

Size used 235/45/17

PSI run: 35

Review - Very consistent tyres, not amazingly grippy but they do pretty well. Haven't delaminated one yet (used about 10 pairs so far) and the grip doesn't fade when they start to run low on tread. Wear pretty well too, usually use 2 pairs on a full track day, about 50% on a short track

Too High Tyre Pressures!!!

Price: N/A

Size Used: 235/45/17, 255 40 17, 275 40 17

PSI run: 24 psi big track 22psi small track

Review - Constantly Grippy, From New To Dead. Haven't ever demalanated one, have have used PLENTY. Coupled with RSR Steer Tire, they make a great package...

Front: Federal 595RSR Semi Slick

Size Used: 235/40/18

Psi Run: 26psi cold

Review: Superior Grip, Still good on 4 wheel lock entries, Don't take ages to get warm, Never experience issues with using them basically cold, even on small tight technical tracks. Super Stiff Sidewall so no sloppy feel...

Rear: Federal 595 RSR Semi Slick

Size Used: 235/45/17 255/40/17

Psi Run - 22-28psi cold

Review: Demands Driving Agression, Loads of Grip, haha crazy smoke! I found if your not committed and agressive it will GRIP up and straighten... Turn them alright with just under 300rwkw