Sign in to follow this  
Slidin.....S15

The iPhone Thread

Ok so I got myself an iphone, but didn't really appreciate what it could do until I started to get some good applications for it; now my iphone kicks ass

So I thought it might be a good idea to share your favourite applications (free or paid) and give a brief description on them to help some other ppl out.

I spent a lot of time going through the app store so I'll just list up my favourite apps and what they can do:

MY TOP IPHONE APPS:

Ocarina - (Paid - $1.20 or so) this app is awesome! It turns you iphone into a "flute" for lack of better word. You can stuff around or play sheet music on your phone, and as you play your tunes are transmitted to everyone else that is using the app at the same time. So basically i can listen to some knob in america playing ocarina on my iphone

Syd traffic - (free) - this app is awesome too! You can view traffic cameras on the major motorways etc from your iphone. SO you can check the traffic before you even leave home!

Whitenoise lite - (free) this app creates whitenoise for when you can't sleep to background noises. Very good applications; not worth buying it though

FS5 Touch hockey - (Free) - THIS GAME ROCKS!!! 2 player kicks ass; don't go and buy a hockey app as I have and this is still the best!

Texas holdem poker - (Paid $6) - great game, but as you can only play CPU, it gets boring after a while

aMaze Lite - (free) great game just like those old ones where you have a wooden box with holes and a ball and you have to negotiate around the maze.

Nightcamera - (paid) - basically helps taking night shots; actually works too with both day and night shots

Around me - find out all points of interest around where you are; bars, clubs, pubs, entertainment, etc etcetc GREAT APP

Ichalky - (Paid $1.20) - useless app but I like it heaps. Basically its just a stick figure that moves around your screen when tilting the phone; it dances to music and you can add your face to it......GREAT APP IN MY BOOKS

Virtual Pool - (Paid) THIS APP KICKS ASS BUY BUY BUY

Motochaser - (Paid) - SHIT GAME DONT BUT IT

Newtons Cradle - (free) cool app its just those balls on string that hit each other

Superball 2 (free/paid $1.20) - GREAT GAME BUY THE FULL VERSION 1000 levels for like $2!

Blocks classic (free/paid $1.20) - AGAIN GREAT GAME BUY THE FULL VERSION

Toy Bot Diaries - (free/paid) GREAT GAME I WOULD RATE IT AS THE BEST ON THE IPHONE HOWEVER I'VE BEEN TOLD ITS FAIRLY SHORT (i'm too stingy to buy it for $6 when I've played most of it in the free version)

Cartrack - (Paid - $10 or so) dyno software

Pocketdyno - (free) dyno software

FaceMelter - (paid $2 or so) - GREAT APPLICATION BUY BUY BUY; you can warp/morph/change your photos so easily with this app and you can come up with some really funny pics which you can then use as contact photos on your iphone. So when someone calls you their weird pic will come up

Shazam - 'listen' to a song with your iphone and it will tell you the artist, name etc

Urbanspoon - (free) tells you where the best restaurants/places to eat are in your area

GOOD IPHONE APPS:

Dactyl - GREAT GAME to compete with your mates on - i've only got the lite version but am very happy with it nonetheless

Istethoscope - use your iphone as a stethoscope (with limited results lol)

Discover - allows you to access you pc via iphone

Digidrummer lite - (free) little drum kit on your phone -

Flick fishing - (paid $2) - As great as a fishing game could be i guess. You 'cast' you iphonme like a fishing pole; fairly realistic and good fun

Takecar - (free) when you park your car in a big carpark, press this app on your phone and when you come back to try and find your car it will gps locate it for you!!!

Intelliremote - (free) you can control your itunes library (change songs etc) via wireless connection from you iphone (basically turns your iphone into a remote)

Air mouse - (paid) turns your iphone into a wireless touch pad/mouse for your pc! uses wi-fi connection

Dictionaire - (free) dictionary

Currency converter - as title states

Units - (free) unit converter

Dual level - (free) turns your phone into a level - surprisingly accurate!

Speed alert - (free) turn this app on and put your iphone somewhere in your car where it won't move; whenever you go above the preset speed limit the phone will go nuts at you

Minipiano (free) - mini piano duhhhhh

OzWeather - (paid $1.20 or so) - great weather program heaps of info but there are others out there

DSLR speed test - (free) tests you wifi connection speed

IfFound - (free) handy little app you choose your screensaver photo and this program adds in a line with your personal details (home phone/email) in the case you lose your phone and someone honest finds it

Rulerlite - (free/paid) i've only got the free version of this but basically you put a credit card next to something you want to know the size of, line up the card in the photo and it will tell you the dimensions of the object you put your card against. probably not the best explaination

Easywriter - (free) allows you to type emails with a horizontal keyboard instead of the upright keyboard

Photobucket - (free) Take pictures and upload them directly to your photobucket

Wiifinder - (Paid - $1.20) finds free wi-fi networks in range. I don't really rate this program there are heaps better ones out there this one is really basic.

Reqall - speak into your iphone to record a note; the note will be sent ot the Reqall team and they will type it out for you and send your note back to your phone as text

Shop SHop - (free) shopping list

I.O.U - (free) speaks for itself really its just an I.O.U list

IPAssword - (free) enter your passwords into this program and it will automatically enter them for your when you enter a website

Lockbox - (free) store all your sensitive information in this app

Flashlite - (Free) turns iphone screen white to be used as a flashlight - actually works pretty well

My LIte - (free) same as flashlite but adds strobe and other options

Mcfinder - (free) finds you the closest maccas! hahaha

Au POstcode - (free) finds suburbs/postcode names/numbers

I know there's a lot up there, and that's prob only half of what I've downloaded. If you get any of the above apps they are all half decent at least; the shit ones i didn't even bother to put up there

So if anyone has any other favourites put them up!!

Games

Scoops ($1.20) - you stack icecream scoops up to the moon. its simple but super addictive. dont catch the veggies.

Tap Tap Revenge (free) - like guitar hero for your phone. downloadable songs for free (katie perry, offspring, michael franti and other songs made for the game) or you can buy the Nine inch nails version for $5 or $10. good fun.

MotoChaser ($1.20) - the controls are a bit weird at first but they get better. theres been an update put out for this to make controls better.

21 pro (free version has ads, or buy it) - best looking free blackjack game, includes card counter and vegas style play (no card shuffling until the shoe is empty)

Black Mamba lite (free demo of full game) - fun little game that is pretty much an arcadey drifting sorta game. i wouldnt buy it but the demo lets you pull some sick skids. Top down racer.

Flick Fishing ($1.20) - awesome fishing game. multiple spots, different types of fish and nice graphics. good controls (uses motion to move the fishing rod like you do when you really fish)

Applications

Fring (free) - MSN/Yahoo/AIM/skype client for your phone. better than IM which crashed all the time for me.

Face book (free) - check your face book on your phone thru a decent interface. updates fast and works well.

Around me (free) - best thing ever. uses your GPS to locate where you are and tells you places of interest in your area. used it heaps when I was up the gold coast to find restaurants and clubs to go to.

Discover (free) - lets you access your iphone via an IP address when youre on your home wireless network to download/upload files to/from your phone. very useful if you dont feel like docking your phone and you want to access something on your PC

XBLfriends (free) - lets you add any Xbox live gamertag and see its online status. Good for people like me who play mostly online games and want to check if buddies are online. Its kind of buggy (sometimes adds random names itself or deletes names) but at least it doesnt take as long to load as the other xbox-friends app.

Ausgamers (free) - Ausgamers.com's very own app. news, reviews and videos straight from an Aussie game site. handy when youre on the toilet at work ;)

Syd traffic (free) - so good. used this heaps of times when there has been traffic jams to determine the best alternative route to my destination. webcams of the biggest roads in sydney.

Wikiamo (free) - wikipedia formatted to fit your iphone screen. what else can I say?

Remote (free) - lets you control Itunes on your computer via your iphone/touch. uses wireless connection.

Photo apps

Night camera ($1.20) - used it twice to test it and its already the best thing ive bought for the phone. Uses the accelerometer to detect when your hand is steady and takes the photo automatically as soon as your steady. improves night pictures greatly.

Photoswap (free) - you take a picture and it gets sent to a random iphone user on the internet. You get a picture back from another random. you can reply to pictures you receive and start swapping pictures. pretty good fun when you get someone clever (or a girl who shows her boobs) but its mostly guys taking crap pictures trolling for tits. give it a try, fun when ur bored at least.

Collage (free) - similar to photoswap but just downloads random photos to your phone from other people. can sort by a friends list or by people nearby to you, or worldwide. its good, but not great, as a lot of the pictures you get are just image files from other peoples phones rather than pictures theyve taken. you might get lucky and some dude who forgot to delete his nude pics of his GF fires it up and starts sending them out to the world.

Endless walls ($1.20) - wall paper downloader. just runs a slideshow of pictures and lets you save the ones you like. can sort by categories (cars, chicks, dudes, art, etc) and upload your own wall papers to share.

Backgrounds (free) - same as above pretty much. displays 4 per page and lets you view/download only the ones you want to see fullscreen so i guess it saves on your bandwidth. its probably better than endless walls but endless walls has a larger range thanks to being on the market for a lot longer. pretty sure it has the category thing to, as well as sorting by popularity and date added etc.

Ive had a lot of crap apps and games that Ive deleted straight away too, like turkey hunt, air guitar, and other stuff that is useless or just plain a crappy game. since a lot of stuff is free, just grab it and try it out, you might like it, you might not, but at least you didnt pay for it.

Reqall - speak into your iphone to record a note; the note will be sent ot the Reqall team and they will type it out for you and send your note back to your phone as text

Haha, that's classic! Older Windows Mobile phones had actual voice recognition which didn't do a bad job. I used to dictate SMS messages when I was driving. The iPhone's so damn awesome that developers actually hire teams of people to type out the notes for more accuracy! :lol:

So c'mon, what's the most screwed up thing you've got them to type for you? You need to start recording messages so the suckers working on the keyboards need therapy once you're done with them!

Great post Varvs I've already downloaded a couple of apps that you put up there

As for the reqall application; i'm pretty sure that's how it works but don't quote me on that. I've only tried it once, but now you've put ideas in my head haha

Tv Guide - Heaps good app give you a layout of what is on tv at what time; very similar to the foxtel tv guide but this is for any aus/nz/uk channel

Pangea games - this company makes heaps good games for iphone, and they are on sale until december 2 (normally $7 or so, now $1.20)

I bought:

Cro- Mag rally - Great game

Billy frontier - awesome game

Nanosaur 2 - awesome game

Games

Fieldrunners (not free): This is by far my most favourite game. It is like desktop tower defense but a billion times better.

Bejeweled 2(not free): Pretty addictive game that's been around for a while on other platforms. Really well implemented on the iphone.

Tap tap revenge (free): Like guitar hero which is pretty good

Mazefinger (not free): Ok game. I only really play the free version though

Cowabunga (free): it's lots of fun but gets boring quickly

FS5 Hocket (free): Really cool air hockey game which I have passed a lot of time with!

Apps

Facebook (free): Awesome. When I'm bored somewhere I will check my facebook etc

Pkt Weather (not free): Awesome weather program that I use every day

Rimshot (free): Provides me with instant access to the sad trombone sound and the boom tish joke drum noise. Get it!

Midomi (free): Identifies songs you hear on the radio or sing in to it etc. Pretty handy

VNC (free): I can control my macbook pro from the iphone if I am uber lazy

St george bank (free): Let's me know the closest st george atm so I don't get stung with fees!

Writingpad (free): Awesome way to send emails. You have to try the keyboard out. I wish I could replace the standard one with this!

Google calendar (not app but I have the web link on the menu like an app): Works awesome on the iphone and I use this every day

OMG.

No one has mentioned:

Dynolicious ($15, worth every cent): Full dyno program that uses the iPhone accelerometer to record kw's/hp, quarter times. Has G sensor as well like teh 34 and 35 GTR's. Very fun in a gravel carpaprk haha :lol: Even makes a graph. It's awesome and VERY accurate.

What's the camera like on it? what mega pixel? zoom? video? It might sway me to get one..

Camera is a 2mp picture-only camera. can be hacked to do video. no zoom.

it takes good quality pictures despite the relatively small lens size and no autofocus. As good as my W810i that had 2mp and autofocus and a LED flash.

Sample, straight off my phone:

IMG_0124.jpg

FS5 Hockey - I finally found the paid version of this app; it's pretty much the same as the free version except it is 100% smooth no glitches or slowdowns, and a couple of the probs with the lite version are fixed too

Par 72 golf - prob the best all round golf game for the price (I liked GL Golf better but it costs $10 where this was $1 or so)

Aero Guitar free - this is the same as guitar hero (or tap tap revenge) but I think this is a slightly better version than tap tap for the iphone

Cointoss - ever you want to do a heads or tails cointoss and dont have a coin? well this is the app for you....wow

ipint - cool app i guess it 'pours' you a beer which you can then 'drink'. Also has a little game in it.......

Automangle lite - destruction derby sort of game for iphone....pretty basic but alright game

Lotto shaker - shake your iphone and this will randomly generate some lotto numbers for you

Carlos Xumas alpha tips - shake your iphone for a new dating tip from carlos xumas who is supposedly a dating expert.....nothing real special here but an interesting read i guess

just downloaded;

aero drum (free)

and

aero synth (free)

pretty much the same as aero guitar but with drum and synth....pretty cool especially for free

ive got a fair few of these on my iPod touch, tempted to eget the generation 2 version that comes with a microphone, so i can use skype, when i find free wifi spots, everywhere in europe, ive used this so much,

Lux touch (free) - im addicted to it, and also fieldrunners (the upgrade is great)

Speed alert - (free) turn this app on and put your iphone somewhere in your car where it won't move; whenever you go above the preset speed limit the phone will go nuts at you

Ok this one sounds TOO good to be TRUE i dont believe this one have you tried it out?

Mcfinder - (free) finds you the closest maccas! hahaha

Ok this one is mad! thats awesome!

What's the camera like on it? what mega pixel? zoom? video? It might sway me to get one..

it takes good quality pictures despite the relatively small lens size and no autofocus. As good as my W810i that had 2mp and autofocus and a LED flash.

Hmm pretty average sorry.. :(

This was taken on my w910i which has 2mp and auto focus and a bigger lens.

given the size of the lens on the iphone, and no auto focus, i think it produces a better photo.

If you want quality pics, you use a digital camera, not a phone with a camera stuck in it. its good for quick snaps and thats what i use it for. ive got a nice olympus with 6mp and 10x zoom if i need good photos.

DSC00891.JPG

given the size of the lens on the iphone, and no auto focus, i think it produces a better photo.

If you want quality pics, you use a digital camera, not a phone with a camera stuck in it. its good for quick snaps and thats what i use it for. ive got a nice olympus with 6mp and 10x zoom if i need good photos.

agreed.. if you want to take good photos buy a DSLR.. the iphone camera not being on par with others story is getting old fast

But the original pic was labeled as a 'good quality pic' which it isnt..

Its a 2 mp iphone, please don't make out what that it takes a good pic, its a crappy camera thats only good for low res drunk photos..

I have a 5mp camera on my KU990 and thats bullshit as well ^_^

Phones are for calls, text and email, and in the way of an iphone apps, but they are not a 'good' camera..

Im just waiting for the gen 2's to come out, and with the mass number of gen 1's out there and they will flood ebay and be worth nothing.. ^_^

I dont really understand what you want from a camera phone if the above two examples arent passable as decent.

They arent the best in the world but considering that they still take a pretty decent photo for a phone.

Can you guys add links where to find all this free shit for the iphone

app store <_>

Please un-install itunes, pack up your iphone and take it back to place of purchase for a full refund have a nice day goodbye.

Please un-install itunes, pack up your iphone and take it back to place of purchase for a full refund have a nice day goodbye.

Dude your on crack......

I mean free applications , who the fk would wanna pay $40 for a game....

Theres no games that cost $40 as far as I know. there are SOME that cost that much but most are under $5.

you find free shit in the app store mate. the top 25 list has both a top 25 paid and top 25 free apps/games, and if you look thru each category you can sort the lists into free/paid items.

the most expensive game i bought was $6.

if you dont have an iphone to look em up you can look at em in the itunes store on your computer.

2 games i just downloaded are black mamba racing - could not stop playing it for days

Tap defence - lost hours playing it

Both free and both the 2 most used apps on my phone.

tap defence is good except when u have to ur the earth quake tower.

U have to shake the phone for it to do any damage and when u shake it u cant see whats going on with the game....

hi all..

ive recently started using my 2g iphone that i bought overseas and was wondering what programs can i use to upload songs and videos onto it besides itunes.?

phone is unlocked and jailbroken

am using vodafone pre paid sim in it... is there any vodafone settings i need to download aswell?

any help appreciated.. ?

trying to get the hang of this phone or im just gunna sell it ..!

Josh

unfortunately i think you can only use itunes - altough i'm not sure because yours is jailbroken

just use itunes, you'll get used to it

you need to un-jail break it i think.