Sign in to follow this  
Deep-Dish

Aquarium Chat Thread

Hey guys,

Bit bored atm so i thought id start a thread on Aquariums and the likes. Anyone here into it at all?

I currently have a 6ft setup and a few other tanks here and there which i breed SA chichlids in.

Elaborate!

Edited by Siddr20

My little brother used to work at an aquarium in Brissy, He had a Gar, an Arrowana a few different sorts of catfish and a couple of 10cm Barramundi (I thought they were the coolest)

This was amongst a bunch of other fish...

EDIT: I can't believe I forgot he had an Oscar, heaps bad tempered thing that decimated my Mum's fishing tank when she was babysitting it whilst my bro was away....

I got a marine setup smile.gif

I feel freshwater are boring!! hahahah hope i didnt start a shit fight tongue.gif hehehh nah nah honestly saltwater > freshwater

Heres my tank: 4*2*2 mixed reef

Latest purchase:

- NEW SPS ACRO

IMG_8354_resize.jpg

- My yellow tang

IMG_8090_resize-1.jpg

So to answer your question yes im into my aquariums tongue.gif

Just saltwater tho.. Got no idea about freshwater, plus its boring!!

I know plenty of ns.com users who are into aquariums!!

Edited by Siddr20

I used to work in the glass industry and make aquariums on the side for a bit of cash never kept fish tho, i am interested in getting a snake snake soon tho.

I'm into the freshwater stuff only have a 3ft tank though filled with:

7 neon tetras

7 cherry barbs

5 bronze cories

1 dwarf gourami

1 bristlenose

I would love to get more fishtanks but there is absolutely no room in the house gotta wait till I move out so I can have a few tanks.

I do agree saltwater looks way better but I don't think i'll take the plunge to expensive to start up and fish are expensive as, maybe one day I will but freshwater is my choice of now a nice planted natural looking tank can look awsome.

i've got three tanks running atm. a 6foot display, and two 2foot breeders. all discus (plus tank mates in the display)

i have a tank with a long-neck turtle, put a few fish in there but.. u guessed it they got munched :S and i also have a 6 foot tank for my red-faced bearded dragon.. hes a legend ;)

i've got a 4/6ft tank, just plain beach sand and a pile of rocks on one side for my oscar.

he's a large tiger oscar, he'd be around 25cm now, brilliant scales aswell, i dont have a good camera so the pics wouldnt do him any justice.

considering getting rid of him though... my uncle has a 40 cm murray cod in a tank (unsure of specs) and its a monster, it'll swim into the other side of the tank and make the whole thing move.

i'm going to buy it 10 goldfish and put them all in at once... see what happens lol

Looks like everyone here is into freshwater :(

I'll get into saltwater one day, I remember seeing a fair sized salt tank in a mall on the gold coast i think it was, possibly perth that had starfish and seahorses and nemos and everything, like a mini ocean, been hooked ever since.

I've only ever owned goldfish though (the biggest of which was called silver...go figure)

i have a 5ft tank full of african cichlids. love them, get the bright fantastic colours of saltwater without the hassle. they take relatively hard water (good for those in SA) and run a high ph (about 8 is good)

Looks like everyone here is into freshwater :(

sadly we are not as rich as you and can afford the upkeep of expensive fish <_>

Freshwater is the bomb :)

i have a 5ft tank full of african cichlids. love them, get the bright fantastic colours of saltwater without the hassle. they take relatively hard water (good for those in SA) and run a high ph (about 8 is good)

I don't even bother with ph theres no point fish will adapt to whatever ph they are put in I believe cause I haven't had a problem with it and don't even bother checking it.

i had a freshwater tank a few years ago. only a smallish one.

had two dwarf honey gourami and 5 neon tetras and 1 pleco.

was nice and clean, plants were nice and green with hiding places for the pleco.

after a while i had a tank with guppies, and a smaller tank for the babies.

i wanna get another tank but just have no room and know ill get lazy with maintenance.

I have got a four foot by two foot by two foot tank at home, one of the big panels is cracked through, anyone know how much replacement would be? approximately is all I am asking for...

I have got a four foot by two foot by two foot tank at home, one of the big panels is cracked through, anyone know how much replacement would be? approximately is all I am asking for...

Not the base?

There are too many reasons why freshwater fish are better than marine!

got one 2ft tank for some nice small tropical freshies

Two 3ft tanks (i think) for goldfish

and one 4ft tank for a saratoga and other little fishies

Used to have siamese fighters as well, luved them

I think everyone should post the size of there tanks and whats in them to give people an idea and maybe give advice on there stockings and post pics if you want.

My 3ft, about 120L tank I think:

7 Neon Tetras

7 Cherry Barbs

5 Bronze Cories

1 Bristlenose

1 Dwarf Gourami

Will add some pics someday just added some real plants so gotta get them looking decent :)

I have a 3 foot goldfish tank. 120 litres.

Contains:

Gold fantail

White fantail

White commet with a red head and mustache lol

Shubunkin fantail

Silver fantail now turned white with an orange stripe lol (the video actually shows it as silver developing black colouring, which has sinced turn orange, and the majority of the fish white.)

and

5 black widows

All the goldfish have grown about an inch each since the video (not including tail size.)

Filter is a Fluval 3+. Runs two foam pads, and a polyester pad in the middle. Every few weeks will replace it with a carbon pad for a week.

(old Aquaone filter in the video)

Run a seperate air stone for aeration running on it's own air pump.

Mixture of stones, including blue, purple, white, black, green and natural. The majority being a natural mixture.

Ornaments:

1 medium sized cave

1 large castle

Bought a stand/cupboard for it which everythings in.

Cat tried jumping off the top of the original glass lids resulting in failure lol. One lid fell in the tank and smashed everywhere. Got all the glass out, fish were fine. Have now built my own wooden lid. 2 piece, hinged in the middle. Quiet pleased with myself.

I used to work in the glass industry and make aquariums on the side for a bit of cash never kept fish tho, i am interested in getting a snake snake soon tho.

I had a simple fresh water tank, freaken big too. had the simple gold fishes and guppies, they died. the water was removed and 2 pythons call the aquarium home now ^_^

My mate has a redfin in a tank, its really cool to watch when it eats

-explode- I think your tank is way overstocked you have 4 fantails which grow to about 6 inch each and then you have a comet which can grow to 14 inches.

Since you have the same size tank as mine I know you should only have about 3 fantails in the tank and nothing else.

Also you have black widow tetras in there aswell and they are tropical fish i'm pretty sure and grow to about 2 inches each so they shouldn't be in with goldfish as goldfish are coldwater fish and there isn't enough room.

And just add if you didn't know goldfish are one of the messiest fish to keep they eat messy and the crap everywhere so you gotta keep up on the tank maintenance.

Tanks fine mate :)

Black widows are over two years old now, they're not just tropical fish. Sorry to burst your bubble ;)

Black widows are over two years old now, they're not just tropical fish. Sorry to burst your bubble ;)

Tanks till overstocked man, do you test your water regularly??

Tanks till overstocked man, do you test your water regularly??

Nope. Never tested it since I've had it.

They love it.

Your an awsome fishkeeper but it shows you only want your fish to survive and not thrive :) I highly doubt they will live a full life.

Oh they're thriving. They've all grown over 5 times their size since I've bought them.

And by the way, I try not to over crowd my tank... I mean, I started off with a 16 litre tank, then a 40, and now the 120. I do feel guilty if they grow too big for their tank lol.

I'm very pedantic about the whole tank being clean and looked after and know how to do so. Though I might not check the water levels, I do know how to maintain a healthy aquarium.

If I wanted to do all the fancy scientific shit I'd get a salt water tank. I wanted hardy fish that needed a smaller amount of maintenance; goldfish. And to me, it seems like I'm doing a great job. :)

The fish won't grow to full size if there isn't sufficient space and will die from it so you won't have to feel guilty about them growing to big just killing them :P

There isn't really anything scientific about it all you need is water changes and a basic water test kit for nitrite, nitrate and ammonia take 5 mins to do.

Although goldfish are hardy they aren't a low maintenance fish like I said earlier :)

Oh they're thriving. They've all grown over 5 times their size since I've bought them.

And by the way, I try not to over crowd my tank... I mean, I started off with a 16 litre tank, then a 40, and now the 120. I do feel guilty if they grow too big for their tank lol.

I'm very pedantic about the whole tank being clean and looked after and know how to do so. Though I might not check the water levels, I do know how to maintain a healthy aquarium.

If I wanted to do all the fancy scientific shit I'd get a salt water tank. I wanted hardy fish that needed a smaller amount of maintenance; goldfish. And to me, it seems like I'm doing a great job. :)

tank being clean is one thing

amonia and PH levels can seriously hurt the fish.

you need to do a 10% min water change every week and check the PH to be sure it is correct for the fish living in the tank.

i have to change about 100L a week and add bicarb soda and salts to help with PH levels and hardness.