Sign in to follow this  
Deep-Dish

Aquarium Chat Thread

Thanks for the help guys.

Wish i had a larger tank, but money wise and as a starter, the tank i have now is probably perfect for me (for now).

Picked up a Gobiodon okinawae (yeah i had to google the name) which happily hops around my tank.

Im no expert, but the fish look like they are happily getting along, they gently brush past each other as if they are playing.

Nice set up 733r, is that tropical?

Nice set up 733r, is that tropical?

Yeh, I think it falls into that category (I'm a bit of a noob), they're from lake Malawi in Africa.

I went a purchased some more additions to my setup, i now have a C02 setup and 25 cherry shrimp :) i will get

sum pics soon.

If anyone's interested in CO2 I found these on eBay (after being inspired by Mike's purchase).

Regulator, solenoid, bubble counter, one way valve, additional one way valve, hosing, and glass diffuser. $140USD. These guys also have a good variety of gear.

And gas bottle, dunno how these are priced, but $143.50AUD.

So for well under $300 you can have a neat little CO2 system.

PS what do you guys think of having 3 or 5 angel fish, a large-ish school of neons, some bronze/peppered cori catfish, and a bunch of guppies all together in a tank?

I have brissle nose, 2 angels, 4 gaurami's, 17 neons and 3 guppies. All but 2 gaurami's get along. Chain is brissle nose, angels, gaurami, guppy, neons lol

How big are your bristle noses and angels? I was thinking of getting the bronze/peppered catfish to really just clean up the tank a bit and fill the ground level of the tank. I like what Mike has but they're probably a bit expensive and grow too large, plus, Mike has them already haha.

have had a few tanks over the years and am now in a small unit so only have a 2 footer with guppies, platys, mollies, and a catfish and bristlenose and a smaller breeder tank for babies

Thomasino most of the fish you were talking about will mix ok but when the angels get bigger they might start to nip at the guppies, give them plenty of weed to hide in and see how they go

If yourin sa I have a lot of snails as they are breeding like crazy. Guppy won't but I have 50+ snails now. Give a few to a good home.

Anyone into marine it looks like I have baby snails there too!

Ive been noticing that something or someone has been digging deep holes all around my deep sand bed, in the corner a hole is dug down about 2cm deep all the way to the flyscreen that seperates my fine sand and corse sand below it. whatever is doing this has left a big mound about 2cm on the top. There is about 3 or 4 piles like this around the tank, most near/under liverock edge.

Ive seen my clown fish swim to the bottom and kick their tails into the sand to stir it all up but i dont think they are the ones doing it. I dont think its my bananna wrasse either, any ideas anyone??

Its saltwater UFO's. Be very careful.

Just joking.. no idea dude but sounds very interesting. Chuck some pics up of it :)

Hey Sid that shot of the yellow tang(sorry if thats wrong) looks sick; what cam and lense?

Indeed its a yellow tang. Hurstville Aquariums are having a special for 50 bucks. I bought one for my gfs tank today :) A small baby one.

I use a canon 5d. Some shots are taken with the 24-70L or 85 f1.8 or macro lens which I borrowed once.

Some shots with the iphone 4:

IMG_0099_resize.jpg

IMG_0110_resize.jpg

IMG_0102_resize.jpg

IMG_0100_resize.jpg

After a while of no maintenance that caused most of my corals to perish, I cleaned my tank on the weekend, did a massive water change and restuctured the live rock.

The tank itself was only meant to be a temporary tank while I redid my 2' cube but it's since turned into my main one, until I get my 6x2x2 or something similar after the house is tiled. It's just a 2x1x1.5 with some morphs, acans, a hammer (that's struggling) and a goni (which has never done well, but the guy who sold it to me claimed it was something else, grrrr). I've got one brown clownfish (the other one passed away), a three stripe damsel, a bi-colour blenny and have just recently added a banana wrasse who immediately disappeared when I put him in the tank.

I definitely need some more colour in the tank so will be getting some more corals eventually.

This is how it looked after the clean on Sunday... The cloudiness has since cleared up completely.

247478_10150221253182720_575557719_6950114_4247923_n.jpg

Sidd is that the GF tank?

my tank is fully cycled, and i have a pair of clowns arriving tomorrow :) just waiting for the perfect piece of W.A elegance at the LFS and my work tank is complete haha, will periodically add maybe some morphs o zoo's if i get randy enough haha.

In other news i still havnt siliconed up my new Cube tank yet, but i have changed my skimmer from SKIMZ as planned to a new brand of skimmer that my company is bringing in from taiwan, they are rebranded in america as something else and have a really really good name in the industry over there so that looks like the go!

also looking at using a 150W metal hallide with LED supplement as apposed to strictly LED at this stage, maybe just to get the system running i dunno just an idea floating through my head atm

Zerofallen - Look forward to the progress of your tank. Whats your KH levels like atm?

nah the iphone4 shots are from my tank. I was just testing out the phone camera. Not to bad for what it is.

What current skimz skimmer have you got? Let me know some more details about the new skimmer you are getting.

Also why not just go pure leds? Will save you lots of money in electricity costs.

i had a skimz sm121 on order, but easy enough to cancell, besides i shoudl probly use what we are selling anyway haha (at the time we wernt looking at bringing these in tho)

its the jns aquaria stuff i linked earlier in the thread

specifically the sk-2 http://www.jnsaquaria.com/2007html/products/view.php?CatId=17&Model=SK-2&lang=eng

which is good for what i would imagine around the 300-400L mark (quoted at 1100L but yeah right...) The sk3 i would imagine be good for 500-700L depending on stocking.

i am not going to promise quoted sizes to customers, its just not good cricket.

I probly will go with LED units, but just something i was looking at, ive only ever had T5 so i was interested (onyl costs $100 for the 150w pendant and ballast im looking at with a 15k globe and two t5 units built in)

Zerofallen - Look forward to the progress of your tank. Whats your KH levels like atm?

No idea. Heh

I should really do some water tests though. It'll make sure I do things properly again... I kind of slacked off.

Mike want some snails seriously? I am getting overrun. Last count was 50 of them and more eggs per day ffs that's tropical. I think the marine snails have all gone into hiding again lol

Mike want some snails seriously? I am getting overrun. Last count was 50 of them and more eggs per day ffs that's tropical. I think the marine snails have all gone into hiding again lol

I have this snail epidemic in my tank atm as well haha, saw one bout 4 weeks ago and now there is bout 40!!!!!!! i might have to start puting them

in to my bro's tank.

Holy massive pics batman! Lol. Can't see em on the iPhone.

This is a great thread and almost makes me dust off my tank and setting it up for Marine. Miss my baby Barras I had in there. Boy, could they eat!! Ahahha

I have this snail epidemic in my tank atm as well haha, saw one bout 4 weeks ago and now there is bout 40!!!!!!! i might have to start puting them

in to my bro's tank.

Off to the turtles they go then!

And a few Neons might aswell go too.

Marine tanks going good, need some ap killer though. Found two more have come up from the live rock :(

My banana wrasse made its first appearance yesterday... Unfortunately I wasn't home at the time, but my wife snapped a shot of it and sent it to me via MMS hence the average quality. She said it wasn't getting bullied by the other fish so that's a good sign.

260468_10150223108282720_575557719_6970182_2652280_n.jpg

i think i found my mysterious sand digging monster! Well its actually not a monster but my 2 clown fish! Dam it i smoothed out the sand bed last night, i come home today to see this!!!

clownminer1.jpg

Oh and also in other news, Lost lawnmower blenny, last seen 3 days ago, no body found as yet, suspect eaten by coral banded shrimp, If it is the case, dam expensive $50 meal for the shrimp! Maybe if the blenny had eaten all the algae like i bought him for he would have been nice and strong and able to swim just that wee bit faster!

Dunno keeping a eye out!

If its in the same spot it could also be the powerheads digging holes i found that all the time too.

Need page 24 to get away from those huge images!

agreed page 24 coming soon haha, i dnt think clowns are much of a digging species, im thinking power heads aswell?

To help with page 24 :P

My Led lighting came,

Very happy with the result. Hoping to re arrange my rocks again and add another piece of live rock.

You guys know how to pick the right rock, as if your buying a piece of lego (its going to fit well with the rest) but when i choose mine, it looks ugly :(

Actually now that I think about it my clowns use to that also. They would rub their bodies against the sand. But they dont do that anymore. I do remember it was when I first introduced them to the 4ft tank. Brings back some memories now.. But it was always in one spot and not around the tank.

dan - It takes ages to get the correct acquascape. I changed the layout of my tank atleast 4 or 5 times before I left it. So dont worry!!

Also what LED light did you get?

Clowns do dig... At least mine does. Mainly around rocks and such.

Oh and still haven't seen the banana wrasse... He's been out when my wife gets home, but is usually back into hiding by the time I arrive. I don't think he likes me. :(

My two clowns every now and then rub in the sand but dont dig as such.

Need to sell my tropical tank to someone in sa, $400 pick up

snapped up some shots today, and found some old ones on my camera.

My purple morphs the day i got them, about 3 months ago?

purplemorphs3311.jpg

My purple morphs today:

purplemorph7611.jpg

and my starfish was just chillin so i took a photo of him too and it actually came out pretty good!

starfish.jpg

Went past Reeflections today aiming to just grab some brine shrimp... Walked away with a small green hammer, a red chalice and a tunze nanostream. Tank is practically silent except for the in-tank skimmer. :)

Still yet to see the banana wrasse though... Hoping he comes out soon.

I'll take some photos when the hammer decides to open up a bit.

yeeerrrpp i did the same!

walked into reef river reptile meaning to buy 1 morph, walked out with blue morphs, red morphs, green morphs and a hydor slim skim in tank protien skimmer!! :stretcher:

Needed a protien skimmer anyway, but now all up im $300 poorer!!! And now i realise the benefit of having a sump! getting pretty cluttered in my tank now! slim my ass the protien skimmer is HUGE! :lol: