Sign in to follow this  
Lady_S15

Dead S15

Hey,

As you may or may not be aware i am taking a break and living on Hamilton Island. I have been here for 3 months now, and the pride and joy is safe and sound with my grandparents. About a month ago they called me to tell me the battery went flat. I am now a bit worried about it just sitting there and not being driven. How long do you think it can go without being driven before it will affect things?

i dont think its so much being driven but they really should just start it even once a week, just to keep everything in the motor lubricated

I'm of the opposite opinion, starting it and letting it idle is more damaging. I left my car for 11 months, took the battery out. When I went to start it again, battery back in (I'd pre-charged it before-hand), took the spark plug leads out (obviously so it doesn't start), cranked it over multiple times to get some oil pressure built up, spark plugs back in and start it. Try to leave the tank reasonably empty , the handbrake off but the wheels chocked so it can't move, lots of pressure in the tyres and you should be fine.

Hmmm interseting....

I am going down for a holiday on Sunday so I will be putting a new battery in and giving it a run

I would think that its more safe to turn her on every few days for about 5 mins or so

just to keep it lubricated and minimize the amount of dirt coming back up

old thread, so you would no doubt have it sorted now

but for future reference, definatly best to fire it atleast once a week, and let it run for 5 mins minimum, as said will keep things lubricated, and stop parts from seizing, and common problem is the injector o-rings and rocker cover gasket going hard and cracking, causing them to leak when u fire it up, if its been sitting for a while