Sign in to follow this  
Dickie_619

What New Import To Buy, Which Will Offer Me The Best Value

Hey All,

I’ve got a couple of questions that I would like to ask my fellow Nissan Silvia’ers and hope it doesn’t start a ruckus with everyone. I know this question is probably answered 1000 times and before you flame me I have searched and done my research to the question/statement.

I’m on my P2’s at the moment and almost on my full licence in 5 months. It got me thinking in the future on what car I should get when I get off my P2’s and onto the full licence. At the moment I’m driving around a S13 n/a stock as a rock engine wise besides a bodykit, rims, exhaust and an after market paint job, it’s also manual.

The idea was it would be a good car for me to learn the road rules and manual in it by myself. I can’t complain it’s been a great first car and it has been treated neatly. It’s been lovely to drive never given me problems (touch wood) and overall just a nice car to learn in. The only down full about it, it’s got very limited power, the bodykit gives me the shits and I can’t cargo or take too many people around but apart from that it’s great.

I’ll be hoping to sell it soon and get something more powerful and maybe something a bit newer, although I do like the body shape and appearance of the S13 and 180sx. I’m contemplating to switch over to a turbo S13 or 180sx which gives me that extra power and add some minor mods to it; or the other option is turn over to a R34 n/a 4 door Skyline. Although I have read many articles and peoples opinions and the Silvia seems to be the better option hands down compared to the Skyline.

Both cars have advantages and disadvantages, the idea would be if I could pick up an S13 turbo SR20 for $7000 to $8000 and put $3000 to $4000 worth of mods onto it for the time being. Or I would go all out and buy an R34 4 door skyline and don’t spend any mods onto it for a while.

What would be the best option for me too do, I chopping and changing my minds for time to time so really don’t know what would be suitable. I do like the skyline being a 4 doors but I’m a little hesitant on a turbo car. I believe if I just buy an R32 or R33 4 door turbo it would be just as the same as buying an S13 turbo and I rather a S13 then a 32 or 33.

Both cars wouldn’t see track days but just be a nice streeter and doing daily routines, which would be reliable and also cater for fun and enjoyment.

Hope this all make sense and sorry for the long post.

Thanks in advance.

Jase.

Just take your time and look at as many cars as you can, test drive and make sure there in good condition especially if you get an s13.

That was my first mistake with my first s13 (shitbox)

The right car for you will come up, just takes time.

Just take your time and look at as many cars as you can, test drive and make sure there in good condition especially if you get an s13.

Thanks for you opinion and your reply. I will take you advice and trust me i have played the waiting game before; played when i wanted to get an S13 for my first car, took forever but was worth it in the end. Btw i'm not looking to buy now i'm talk about later down the track so i am prepared for it.

But thanks in advance.

Jase.

Hehehe I am in practically the same boat, but I haven't spent too much on making my n/a S13 look nice or perform better, apart from slotted rotors all round, because I'll spend my hard earned cash on my new car.

I'm 26 now and If I don't buy my dream S15 next I never will, I'll have to save up for a house deposit and shit and buy a sedan or something. One last chance to enjoy a choice ride before it all goes down hill.

Good luck with your decision making.. though a dude I work with just bought a R33 GTR for around 25k and it's pretty good... to look at, anyway, I'm waiting to be invited for a cruise :)

Hey All,

I've got a couple of questions that I would like to ask my fellow Nissan Silvia'ers and hope it doesn't start a ruckus with everyone. I know this question is probably answered 1000 times and before you flame me I have searched and done my research to the question/statement.

I'm on my P2's at the moment and almost on my full licence in 5 months. It got me thinking in the future on what car I should get when I get off my P2's and onto the full licence. At the moment I'm driving around a S13 n/a stock as a rock engine wise besides a bodykit, rims, exhaust and an after market paint job, it's also manual.

The idea was it would be a good car for me to learn the road rules and manual in it by myself. I can't complain it's been a great first car and it has been treated neatly. It's been lovely to drive never given me problems (touch wood) and overall just a nice car to learn in. The only down full about it, it's got very limited power, the bodykit gives me the shits and I can't cargo or take too many people around but apart from that it's great.

I'll be hoping to sell it soon and get something more powerful and maybe something a bit newer, although I do like the body shape and appearance of the S13 and 180sx. I'm contemplating to switch over to a turbo S13 or 180sx which gives me that extra power and add some minor mods to it; or the other option is turn over to a R34 n/a 4 door Skyline. Although I have read many articles and peoples opinions and the Silvia seems to be the better option hands down compared to the Skyline.

Both cars have advantages and disadvantages, the idea would be if I could pick up an S13 turbo SR20 for $7000 to $8000 and put $3000 to $4000 worth of mods onto it for the time being. Or I would go all out and buy an R34 4 door skyline and don't spend any mods onto it for a while.

What would be the best option for me too do, I chopping and changing my minds for time to time so really don't know what would be suitable. I do like the skyline being a 4 doors but I'm a little hesitant on a turbo car. I believe if I just buy an R32 or R33 4 door turbo it would be just as the same as buying an S13 turbo and I rather a S13 then a 32 or 33.

Both cars wouldn't see track days but just be a nice streeter and doing daily routines, which would be reliable and also cater for fun and enjoyment.

Hope this all make sense and sorry for the long post.

Thanks in advance.

Jase.

You want a quicker car but you are considering a NA R34? i don't understand :P it weighs around 1.4t with 147kw. No bad but i doubt it would be quicker then a NA s13.

It all depends on which road you want to go down, do you want something practical? then 2 door is out of the question or could you live with another 2 door coupe?

2 door turbo, s13 or s14 (series 1, like mine :) ) you can get for around $8k but you will be spending a lot on maintenance, since ALL 2nd hand turbo cars are thrashed. if more then 6'2" avoid sunroof models or you ll need lowered seat rails. best way is to do a comp test then get a good workshop to look over the car. you can get worn R32 GTRs for around $10k these days, however you will be spending many thousands keeping it on the road but at least you ll have a GTR and im sure it ll be good enough stock.

4 door, well since you would rather something quicker get a 4 door turbo. R32 4 doors are popular but you will be stuck with the rb20, which does lack a bit of torque. yet still stronger then a sr20 :P im sure there are other 4 door turbos in your price range, just cant think of any atm.

haha i made the same mistake with my first s13. Basically bought the first one i saw (age 17) and it turned out to be a dog. Played it differently with my s15, took about 5 months to find the right one and then eventually came across an immaculate one at a good price.

best thing i ever did was wait till the right one came up.

heyy mate.. i had the same problem in ur case.. i got my fulls 2 weeks ago and i was jumbling between.. wrx, integra, rx7, civic etc u know the usual. like the couple of the boys said keep search and get what u like not what people to buy.. i bought myself an imported 180sx type x and sweet enough i was the first aussie owner.. so i pritty much broke her into aussie soil ;).. well i bought my car from an importer in the west he deals with supras, 180sx, s15 and anything u need from japan..

hope u have fun choosing ur next sex machine :D

Hehehe I am in practically the same boat, but I haven't spent too much on making my n/a S13 look nice or perform better, apart from slotted rotors all round, because I'll spend my hard earned cash on my new car.

I'm 26 now and If I don't buy my dream S15 next I never will, I'll have to save up for a house deposit and shit and buy a sedan or something. One last chance to enjoy a choice ride before it all goes down hill.

Good luck with your decision making.. though a dude I work with just bought a R33 GTR for around 25k and it's pretty good... to look at, anyway, I'm waiting to be invited for a cruise :)

lol when it starts going down hill.. hey guess what im 20 :P nahh man it aint that bad.. and apparently thers a few cruises happenen ever now and then in nsw exp in the west >

just buy a 2001 wrx leave it stock an you can thrash tha bjebus out of it round corners n down the straights all day long

haha...my first post in this forum after more than a year

sold my S15 last year and got myself a 2000 VR4, good value, lots of power, very comfy

all under 15K, u might want to consider it

I know im in the wrong forum to promote the VR4 :yes:

The R34 4doors are great(but must be turbo) but as l say this l am now trying to sell my R34 4 door turbo manual as l wanted a s13 again (go the sil80) there just to much fun. :P

It just depends what you want? if you want a cruiser go the R34 every day but if you want a fun chuckable car to take to the track sometimes go an S13(or s14/s15).

If anyone is looking for R34 PM me my R34 4door turbo manual is currently for sale.or check out carsales :thumbsup:

Hey Jase how are ya?

My lad had a R33 4 door GTST for a while there and if you want a daily that is neat and drives real nice they are pretty good and not quite as expensive as a two door and if you hunt around for a clean one reliable to boot. They do feel nice and solid on the road too good cruise car and don't tend to attract quite as much unwanted attention. I guess the down side?/upside? is they are a little bigger. Rego etc is a little dearer but if you are not into frying tyres you would probably spend less on engine mods. The RB25turb has a reasonable amount of power for a street only run around.

Really your best bet is to test drive one and a turbo s13/180 and see which you prefer.

I still like my S13 but.