Sign in to follow this  
munners91

overheating CA18DET

hey guys i own a 1989 silvia S13 k's, i've had it bout a month and a bit... but recently its been getting hot when ever it likes. I've changed the thermostat and the radiator cap, bled the system as well, but still overheats. i dont think its blown the head gasket but thats probably my next avenue. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

I had the same problem man. Replaced the thermostat and flushed and bled the system countless times, replaced the fan with an electronic set up, did everything basically. Ended up being a fark*d radiator. Chucked a new one in and it fixed the problem straight away.

Hope that helps.

Check your water line on you turbo. I had one crack on me this week. Check right at the back of the motor, There should be a water line that leads to the back of the inlet plenum. Where mine broke was the bracket that bolted the water line to the back of the motor, The weld had snapped and left a huge hole in the line.

Hope it helps, But check rad, turbo water line and thermostat.

Kempo.

Does it loose coolant?? If not will probably b radiator

UPADTE: fixed the thermo fan today and put some seal up in the system just as a pre caution.... but no luck i took it for a cruise and i can drive it for 30min ok then when i come to a intersection it overheats and i drive off and the heat will come down for like 2 min then back up, also the heater is cold and then becomes warm then cold again.

I replaced my thermostat about 3 months ago and it seems to have jammed itself open :angry: so had to put another new one it lol. So maybe try taking your one out and putting it in a boiling pot of water and make sure it's opening and closing. Would be strange if that is the problem, but you never know.

If it cools while u drive but overheats while your stopped, sounds like the radiator itself.

Swap it over and your problem should be solved.

Might sounds like a stupid question but are you still running the std fan shroud?

Makes a difference..

thanks for all the suggestions guys but i found the problem, my radiator only has one quarter working properly lol not good lol