Sign in to follow this  
Eevo

Legal Stuff, Regency, Modification, Defects Q's and FAQ

My car got defected tonight by three bery kind detectives. They kinda explained that my lights and tyres werent up to scratch so i have 48 hours to get it fixed. We joked when a turbo R31 idled past...is this where i can have a cry

is it just a cop shop defect?

if so, you're fine man :)

how about not running a bov?

i went to lonsdale without one... and i had to put a 'stock' one back in...

and i even asked about a turbosmart plumback and he said now, wtf?

yep the rules suck.

final time to regency saw them take exception at blanked of BOV port. got told standard or nothing on first visit and now they decide(3rd visit) with nothing else to get me on that blanking is illegal.

:whack:

So what does Regency look for whenyou take your car there to get off a defect?

first is check of brakes then lights, demister, engine(boost controllers, BOV's etc) then seatbealts, then they hoist it up and check pretty much everything.

Awsome info man great topic its turned into :)

Few Q's

Is a pod filter with cold air induction piping and enclosed box illlegal in s.a

Note ive cut a new hole for the CAI?

And bolt on spacera will they take you to regancy for them?

Cheers

first is check of brakes then lights, demister, engine(boost controllers, BOV's etc) then seatbealts, then they hoist it up and check pretty much everything.

Thanks for that, every thing is pretty much standard (now), just worried about dent sin chassis rails and dents in the seams where the jack goes.

Thanks for that, every thing is pretty much standard (now), just worried about dent sin chassis rails and dents in the seams where the jack goes.

you should be fine, my jack up spots on my s13/180's where f**ked like a mofo haha

quick question - can you get a defected car engineered whilst its defected before I take it to regency for insepction?

HI, all, does Regency use an exhaust sniffer when you go to get off a defect? The previous owner guttered the cat, and welded in a straight through pipe.

HI, all, does Regency use an exhaust sniffer when you go to get off a defect? The previous owner guttered the cat, and welded in a straight through pipe.

By law you need a cat in the system

has anyone passed regency with a power fc mounted in the stock spot with tamper proof sticker still on it? so it looks 100% legit or will they take all the trim apart and check it? I really cbf

taking it out or else then I need to change the injectors. Iv only been defected for rims and exhaust.

I spoke to Doug Potts, cars can be engineered whilst defected but any cams that arnt stock wont pass emissions. Apparently theres a big debate/court battle on regencys emission testing systems not

being accurate and consist enough but the government wont take responsibility.

put the ecu from pfc into the stock housing

Yep, aware of that, just sick of finding problems with the car that the previous owner didn't tell me about. Puchrasing new cat tomorrom aw the modified cat has the flange rotated 30 degrees and stock exhaust will not fit properly.

yeah fiberglass anything is a no no, you cant even have most carbon fiber bonnets

hi there can someone tell me if a under bonnet strut brace for a 200sx is legal or not in sa

All strut braces are legal.

what about non adjustable sway bars or adjustable camber arms?

All strut braces are legal.

adjustable camber arms?

pretty sure thats a no no

Yep, aware of that, just sick of finding problems with the car that the previous owner didn't tell me about. Puchrasing new cat tomorrom aw the modified cat has the flange rotated 30 degrees and stock exhaust will not fit properly.

Purcahsed a cat from the wreckers, but still wondering if they regency do an exhaust gas emmisions test ?

Purcahsed a cat from the wreckers, but still wondering if they regency do an exhaust gas emmisions test ?

they didnt for me,

As a precursor to this inguiry I'm just gonna say I do not care for your opinion on if it looks good or not.

Are their any legalities around replacing HVAC/climate control and dash cluster leds with coloured globes?

has anyone had issues going through regency with a 2-way?

people will say yes, but i went through with a welded diff.

they don't really even look at the diff, you should be fine.

i just made sure i didn't do any full lock turns around the inspectors so they didn't hear it skip haha

they didnt for me,

Just went Regency, cat and exhaust passed, dents in chassis rail passed, got defected again as one of the fuses I replaced turned the turbo timer back on. (didn't know it had one, can't find it nor could regency, so defected for not being able to turn the car off. Also got done for the window tint and a broken gearbox mount and seatbelts won;t ertract freely (on this last one WTF????? They work better then my work car which is a 2010 Lancer. Oh well, he told me to use silicon spray on them and that will fix them.

Over all, I'm happy as this car had numeours unknow porblems when I bought, and I don't have to go for a full inspection next time, just check the faults have been repaired.

does anyone know if aftermarket non adjustable swaybars will pass regency? thanks

does anyone know if aftermarket non adjustable swaybars will pass regency? thanks

will pass.