Sign in to follow this  
koguchi

Sleeping disorders/problems.

In the past few weeks in light of a recent event *dont really wanna talk about that part as much* my sleep pattern has gone completley spazo, off the charts and totally opposite to normal.

I was wondering, does anyone here have this issue, or know of anyone who has?

Long story short.

I keep only being able to fall asleep between 4:00am and 5:00am in the morning, then when I finally fall asleep, I sleep till around 12:00pm during the day, then the cycle continues.

In the last two weeks alone, I have had 2 of these days without sleeping at all, e.g. waking up at mid day, then not falling asleep until mid day the next day.

Another thing is, I have spoken with my GP and explained to him the excessive ammounts of sleeping tablets I am taking in an attempt to fall asleep, and it just does nothing, my body goes a bit woozy but my mind stay 100% alert!

An example would be, take 5x nitrazepam tablets and 4x valium tablets and on two occasions drink up to 3.2ltrs of premix rum and coke...yet no sleep? (yes I know thats bad, no need for lecture)

I have read up on delayed sleep phase syndrome and what I am experienceing pretty much seems to fit the bill..

lastnight/today is a perfect example, I woke up at 3:00pm yesterday, yet I am still awake now at 6:30am and totally alert mentally but physically screwed.

But my question still stands, is anyone else effected by this? how do you cope with it? It's almost like I'm turning into a perminant night owl...sleep during day *if im lucky* and then little to no sleep during the night time. Its almost at the point where I am getting about 2/3 hours of sleep out of every 24 hours. (or one huge dose of 12+ hours sleep straight)

*note* I am not partying, or doing anything physical, just sitting there stairing blankly at the roof/walls etc..I understand sleep hygene and try to avoid TV...but sheesh..what else is there to do?

Opinions? Suggestions? Common stories?

Please only genuine responses, I realise this is NS.com and probably not the right avenue for answers...but I'm just putting it out there....kinda loosing my mind.

My sleeping pattern used to be sleep at 8/9pm then awake for work at 5:00am...almost on the dot most of the time, but that was when my medication was working, but still on occasion found myself awake till 4:00am...work wasnt so cool on 1 hours sleep.

get rid the sleeping pills.

sometimes small amounts of alcohol can help, but may lead to disturbed sleep.

Hey man I can understand how you're feeling. Must be really driving u nuts. Suggestion I have for you are these.

1) Take the Nitrazepam and Valium according to what your doctor has prescribed. They can be addictive when used excessively, your body will get used to it and when your body gets used to it, it will have minimal or no effect on you at all plus the side effect of being dependant on it to function properly. Kinda like junkie. If you've been taking them for a whhile maybe stop taking them cause clearly the amount you're taking isnt working.

2) Dont drink alcohol with the above mentioned medications because they may cause you to have adverse reactions.

3) Try not to think about the issue you're/you've having/had. If its bothering you that much and its keeping you awake then maybe its best that you speak to someone about it. Maybe a friend or a family member. Someone that you trust. Talking about the issue really helps.

4) Do something strenous like go to the gym, go for a run etc. Activities during the day that will make your body tired enough at night.

5) When you're in bed, make sure that the lights are turned off. Maybe play calming music in the background softly.

Hopefully this is of some help to you. Just incase you're wondering, I've had the same issue before. Usually happens when I've got alot on my mind and Im stressed out or I've just had some form of issue come up. Also, Im a nurse so I deal with people who has insomnia issues at work. Usually we give them what you're/you were taking with good effect.

Cheers,

Michael

get rid the sleeping pills.

sometimes small amounts of alcohol can help, but may lead to disturbed sleep.

no sleeping pills = more 24 hour slots of no sleep... but I know where you're going with that statement.

clense the body of the checmicals and try to bring the body back to normality...but I have tried that previously without success.

Hey man I can understand how you're feeling. Must be really driving u nuts. Suggestion I have for you are these.

1) Take the Nitrazepam and Valium according to what your doctor has prescribed. They can be addictive when used excessively, your body will get used to it and when your body gets used to it, it will have minimal or no effect on you at all plus the side effect of being dependant on it to function properly. Kinda like junkie. If you've been taking them for a whhile maybe stop taking them cause clearly the amount you're taking isnt working.

I agree with you on that, I have been on these for well over a year, my doctor and I agree that I have built up a tollerence and need to change medication.

2) Dont drink alcohol with the above mentioned medications because they may cause you to have adverse reactions.

I didnt realise that, I thought it would enhance it.

3) Try not to think about the issue you're/you've having/had. If its bothering you that much and its keeping you awake then maybe its best that you speak to someone about it. Maybe a friend or a family member. Someone that you trust. Talking about the issue really helps.

I'v been seeing a psychologist about this and the *event*

4) Do something strenous like go to the gym, go for a run etc. Activities during the day that will make your body tired enough at night.

I can't, I'm still on medical certificate and appealing workers comp injury that lead to costochondritis, collapsed lung, 19cm DVT and a pulmonary emobolism, recently found I have factor V leiden and lupus anticoagulant. - im like the boy in a bubble. I'm on warfarin, have to get blood tests a few times a week, if my INR is off, a shunt/impact can make me either bleed internally or clot up big time.

5) When you're in bed, make sure that the lights are turned off. Maybe play calming music in the background softly.

I have tried this many times, even using rain/storm music playing softly in the background

Hopefully this is of some help to you. Just incase you're wondering, I've had the same issue before. Usually happens when I've got alot on my mind and Im stressed out or I've just had some form of issue come up. Also, Im a nurse so I deal with people who has insomnia issues at work. Usually we give them what you're/you were taking with good effect.

Cheers,

Michael

Thanks for the imput, I appreciate the fact that you made the effort to respond.

no sleeping pills = more 24 hour slots of no sleep... but I know where you're going with that statement.

clense the body of the checmicals and try to bring the body back to normality...but I have tried that previously without success.

as u said, the sleeping piils, ""excessive ammounts of sleeping tablets I am taking in an attempt to fall asleep, and it just does nothing, my body goes a bit woozy but my mind stay 100% alert!""

if their not working, get rid of them.

excersice (walking, small weights, anythig repative that consumes energy) make urself tired, exhaust ur mental energy.

i do 24-7 shift work and im an insomniac, sleeping pills hurt in the long run.

yes u'll be awake 24+ hours (my record is ~108hours awake) but ur body will eventually catchup and u'll sleep.

make sure your well hydrated before you sleep.

eating cheese about 1 hour before you aim to sleep, but you may have the side effect of strange dreams)

as u said, the sleeping piils, ""excessive ammounts of sleeping tablets I am taking in an attempt to fall asleep, and it just does nothing, my body goes a bit woozy but my mind stay 100% alert!""

if their not working, get rid of them.

excersice, make urself tired, exhaust ur mental energy.

i do 24-7 shift work and im an insomniac, sleeping pills hurt in the long run.

yes u'll be awake 24+ hours (my record is ~108hours awake) but ur body will eventually catchup and u'll sleep.

make sure your well hydrated before you sleep.

eating cheese about 1 hour before you aim to sleep, but you may have the side effect of strange dreams)

108 hours? I can't fathem that, definatley insomniac.

With the DSPS, *catch up* sleep does not work.

If you are at all interested and have the time, feel free to read up on it - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_sleep_phase_syndrome

Sounds like you know what you are on about if your *norm* is 24/7 shift work, I generaly hydrate with a cup or two of chicken soup.

Never tried the cheese thing though, only because I hate most cheeses...but I'm willing to try anything at this time.

I must admit, somthing tells me this might also have a decent sized psychological influence behind it.

I have been told I have recently encoured an adjustment disorder with regards to the medical issues that not only seriously messed with my health but destroyed what was left of my social life, my driving future for drifting *yeah I realise reading the drifting bit makes you go pffff, but its actually a passion of mine*....plus the loss of a wedding due to medical stuff ruining our chances of having our wedding in vanuatu on our 10 year anniverary...so there are many factors behind this..

Thank you for your imput...again I appreciate it.

i know this may sound stupid but try some a warm hot chocolate before you go to sleep?

even better, have a root before you try to sleep, that always knocks me out. im being serious too.

i know this may sound stupid but try some a warm hot chocolate before you go to sleep?

even better, have a root before you try to sleep, that always knocks me out. im being serious too.

The last time I tried to have a *root* I ended up in hospital...and no, not from it being a server thrashing...2 mins in I felt like I got hit in the back of the head with a baseball bat and had a mind splitting headache for hours, woke up the next morning and could not move, my chest is destroyed....fiance called parents, they came over, saw the condition i was in, called ambulance..was in there for 6 days completley screwed....so yeah, avoiding that *root* thing untill I can atleast breath properly..lol...thats a pretty embarresing admission.

At this point in time, there really is no *going to sleep* time...its just gone..I have a hot cup of chicken soup, tablets etc as mentioned above...doesnt do shit...I just stare at the roof for hours..

Apologies if this post is vague but I've got the flu and I feel like I'm thinking through a fog.

These are the general sleep hygiene guidelines that your doctor/psych has possibly already discussed, but I'll mention em anyway:

-Try to set a regular (i.e. daily) waking time (AM). Don't aim for 8am straight away but aim at reducing this hour until it's a fairly reasonable one.

-When you wake in the morning get out of bed and don't try to make up for lost sleep. It sounds like this is what has lead to your 'nightowl' pattern but it can be reversed, it just takes some time.

-Not sure if you drink coffee, but avoid it after breakfast/lunch. Same goes for any caffeinated drink including Coke. Also, don't know if this is applicable but don't smoke before bed as many people do, it doesn't help.

-Contrary to how it might seem, alcohol actually causes you to have a lighter, more fitful sleep and should be avoided totally in your situation. Rum and Coke? You don't need me to tell you the effect Coke is going to have on your sleeping pattern.

-If you are lying in bed awake for more than 30-60mins then get up and do something that you find relaxing. Read a book or a magazine or listen to music. Sleep can be paradoxical in the sense that the harder you try to sleep, the less you are able to fall asleep.

From what you're saying, it sounds as though your situation is complex owing to the existence of a few other factors. Discuss progressive relaxation exercises with your psych as these tend to work quite effectively for many people. If the sleeplessness in any way relates to excessive worrying or rumination then once again discuss this with your psych as there are many approaches to lessen the effect of this.

My heart goes out to you mate but I'm confident that things will turn around for you and you'll be back on track soon enough. Feel free to PM me if you've got any specific Q's and I'll do my best to answer em.

BTW beyondblue produce a good fact sheet on sleep issues: http://www.beyondblue.org.au/index.aspx?link_id=7.980&http://www.beyondblue.org.au/index.aspx?link_id=6.1068&tmp=FileDownload&fid=1143

Thanks mr Wiggum...you pointed out some things that i do that I didnt realise would contribute to it

when i try to sleep, i focus on it so hard that it drives me nuts.

and especially the last paragraph.

everything you said makes total sense and has been discussed with the relevant people on several occasions.

The aim of this thread was to see if other people have had this and how they delt with it.

man, i think that the problem can be that because of your condition your not getting proper exercise and you still have all this energy stored up when you go to bed

thats what happens to me if i play computer games all day i wont be able to sleep, i gotta get outside and run around for at least an hour

but serious, if you cant sleep maybe you should stay up late playing computer games with me

Re other people's experiences: I've always had trouble falling asleep, never been a 'soon-as-my-head-hits-the-pillow' person. I generally use progressive relaxation*, visualisation**, classical or 'rainforest' music, breathing techniques, and containment of any troubling/anxious thoughts***.

*Check this out on the web or speak to one of your practitioners. It's a simple technique that involves relaxation and distraction by way of focusing on each muscle in turn, tensing this and then releasing the tension. You can use visualisation also such as a ball of energy slowly moving from your toes upwards, relaxing each muscle as it goes.

**It sounds stupid but I often visualise myself floating in the air above a city or floating along a river in the wild somewhere. I've heard of other people visualising themselves gliding along underwater or floating in an underground river through caves. Basically this works as a relaxing distraction from the constant thought ("c'mon, sleep, sleep, sleeeeep!"). This way even if you're still awake atleast your anxiety will be reduced.

***If something is on my mind I promise myself that I will set aside time tomorrow to deal with it. I'll say to myself "There's nothing I can do about that right now, but tomorrow I'll set aside an hour to give it some thought and see if I can sort it out then."

I had this, it turned out my body had allergies to several things including wheat, gluten, dairy, sugar and most chemicals found in processed food.

I used to go 3 days without sleep at a time.

As soon a detoxed and got rid of all that shit in my body, i can now sleep fine, but if i eat shit, i immediately cannot sleep.

Just something to think about.

Hey Koguchi

My heart goes out to you brother , I am currently in exactly the same boat , exept Im only living on 3 to 5 hours sleep every 48 hours or longer.Mine was due to an accident 5 years ago in my truck . although I may only get so little sleep for days , there will be on day that seems to let me catch up where I wil sleep for 7 or 8 hours usualy at end of week :( I have been to doctors , I have spoken to beyondblue produce a good fact sheet on sleep issues: http://www.beyondblu...wnload&fid=1143 and I have tried every natural and medical sleep tablet / spray there is , but with out success . Ive gotten to the point ion my life Im now avoiding friends , exesive use of internet , constant games on ps3 / xbox and the Wii I build models , and draw , i read , I root , I will do any thing while awake when Im not working , I would suggest trying any thing that you can that other members on here have suggested , Im sure you will find one that will relieve you a little and maybe help you get back on track with your sleep . There was one product that did work for me for a short time til my body got used to it , its called Rescue sleep , you can get it from the pharmacy it was abot 12 dollars but dont quote me , maybe it will help you a little .

I hope you find a solution to whats happening very soon mate , as its not easy to shake once you have had it for a long time , your body doesnt want to revert back to the old way of sleep .

All the best with it

john

Re other people's experiences: I've always had trouble falling asleep, never been a 'soon-as-my-head-hits-the-pillow' person. I generally use progressive relaxation*, visualisation**, classical or 'rainforest' music, breathing techniques, and containment of any troubling/anxious thoughts***.

*Check this out on the web or speak to one of your practitioners. It's a simple technique that involves relaxation and distraction by way of focusing on each muscle in turn, tensing this and then releasing the tension. You can use visualisation also such as a ball of energy slowly moving from your toes upwards, relaxing each muscle as it goes.

**It sounds stupid but I often visualise myself floating in the air above a city or floating along a river in the wild somewhere. I've heard of other people visualising themselves gliding along underwater or floating in an underground river through caves. Basically this works as a relaxing distraction from the constant thought ("c'mon, sleep, sleep, sleeeeep!"). This way even if you're still awake atleast your anxiety will be reduced.

***If something is on my mind I promise myself that I will set aside time tomorrow to deal with it. I'll say to myself "There's nothing I can do about that right now, but tomorrow I'll set aside an hour to give it some thought and see if I can sort it out then."

Argh dammit I have done pretty mauch all of those, they are similar techniques to getting over a massive anxiety/depression problem i had a couple of years back.

Your logic is so right on the ball, you just reminded me of half of my previous psych visits a few years back....maybe I should really try that stuff again big time. THANK YOU!!...good ole memory jolt.

Hey Koguchi

My heart goes out to you brother , I am currently in exactly the same boat , exept Im only living on 3 to 5 hours sleep every 48 hours or longer.Mine was due to an accident 5 years ago in my truck . although I may only get so little sleep for days , there will be on day that seems to let me catch up where I wil sleep for 7 or 8 hours usualy at end of week :( I have been to doctors , I have spoken to beyondblue produce a good fact sheet on sleep issues: http://www.beyondblu...wnload&fid=1143 and I have tried every natural and medical sleep tablet / spray there is , but with out success . Ive gotten to the point ion my life Im now avoiding friends , exesive use of internet , constant games on ps3 / xbox and the Wii I build models , and draw , i read , I root , I will do any thing while awake when Im not working , I would suggest trying any thing that you can that other members on here have suggested , Im sure you will find one that will relieve you a little and maybe help you get back on track with your sleep . There was one product that did work for me for a short time til my body got used to it , its called Rescue sleep , you can get it from the pharmacy it was abot 12 dollars but dont quote me , maybe it will help you a little .

I hope you find a solution to whats happening very soon mate , as its not easy to shake once you have had it for a long time , your body doesnt want to revert back to the old way of sleep .

All the best with it

john

John, Reading that makes me feel so ignorant...here I am complaining about what is literally, half the sleeping problems you appear to deal with.

Mine too is an onset from an injury on machinery in nov last year, ever since then the sleep has gotten worse and worse then in the last two weeks has just spiraled out of control.

Damn..I really feel guilty now....just makes me think, no matter how much i *self pitty*...theres always somone out there with much worse shit going on...

Thanks for the replys guys, I will take it all on board and do what I can with it.

I didnt expect this much constructive communication so quickly and for that I am trueley greatful.

Thanks again.

Perhaps...../end thread? unless somone else has some more important light to shed.

Thanks Koguchi , thats some kind words you got there , But dont feel ignorant to it , just because some of are having a hard time doesnt mean you arent either , and you have reached out to a community that you care about obviously . So dont feel bad about any thing you have written . We ae all here to help you in one way or another :)

I've always had a bit of trouble but the key is to set your body clock.

I went to a sleep doctor and he said to wake up at the same time everyday regardless of how much sleep I've had for 2 weeks, and if that didn't work we'd start looking at therapies etc

Get up at 8 tomorrow and stay awake, walk around like a zombie if you have to, just stay awake until at least 10pm. Repeat. Should fix stuff.

Lay off the coffee + any drugs and that should help for sure.

ive had this shit for up to years at a time, basically i have a lot of ways to deal with it, but generally mine are pretty drastic as mine have been pretty severe in the past.

first, try exercising a few hours before hand, and generally making urself as tired as possible (few different ways), then over a few nights, go to sleep bang on 20 minutes earlier each night. say for instance ur getting to sleep at 5am atm, first night, do not go to bed before 4:30, sitting in bed not being able to sleep will keep u up longer than if u just go to bed a bit later. so first night, say 4:30, next night, 4:10 etc etc

while ur doing this, make sure u get up earlyish, for example 9am. ull be buggered for the first few days, it may even tire u enough that u are able to go to sleep early, if so do it.

just try not to think about deliberately going to sleep, thats what keeps u awake.

from there, do 2 alnighters in a row, go to sleep the next night at a reasonable time, get up at 9am again, then try to continue that pattern.

if its real bad, then go to bed later and later each night, until u reverse ur sleep pattern completely around, ive done this quite a few times, generally takes about 2 weeks, so its a last resort thing.

btw, the anxiety is a viscous cycle, u get it, it makes u sleep like shit, lack of sleep enhances anxiety, u then start worrying about lack of sleep, more anxiety. ive been there before, these days its just a matter of recognising what's going on and understanding it will pass, although i understand for some people it doesnt.

I think I might give some of those options a try thanks spazo / nisskid - yes anxiety plays a major role.

A few years ago I was diagnosed with PTSD from an event id much rather forget...sleep was ruined then as well.

but I deinfatley screwed the pooch today..after writiing my last post I fell asleep at around 11am after another sleeping tablet...just woke up at 6:40pm...

Looks like another all nighter coming up....maybe I will just go to bed when my partner does and atleast try to relax and use some sleep hygene tech's and see how it goes.

pretty sure I'm gonna be up till mid day tomorrow again though..

I think I might give some of those options a try thanks spazo / nisskid - yes anxiety plays a major role.

A few years ago I was diagnosed with PTSD from an event id much rather forget...sleep was ruined then as well.

but I deinfatley screwed the pooch today..after writiing my last post I fell asleep at around 11am after another sleeping tablet...just woke up at 6:40pm...

Looks like another all nighter coming up....maybe I will just go to bed when my partner does and atleast try to relax and use some sleep hygene tech's and see how it goes.

is there any consistency to ur sleep? is the pattern just out of wack, or is it just u never know when ur gonna be able to sleep?

is there any consistency to ur sleep? is the pattern just out of wack, or is it just u never know when ur gonna be able to sleep?

There used to be consistency with a dash of (random)...but in the past few weeks it has gone out of whack and I never know when I am going to fall asleep.

sometimes Its 3am, 4am, 5am...after 5 I give up and just hold out for as long as I can in an attempt to make it to the next night.

ahk so there is still some sort of consistency, or it looks like ur body is still capable of holding some consistency. yeh id be doing a few allnighters in a row, then making sure u get up and go to sleep around the same time every night for a while. u should be tired enough from the all nighters, then from getting up early, to be able to go to bed at around 10-12pm consistently, so as long as u wake up early, u should be fine to continue to sleep pattern until it sets in.

Well its pretty much 4am, I'v had 6 nitrazepam, 2 vals..half a bottle of butterschotch shnaps straight...yes its a girls drink i know but the bottlo was closed when I sent my partner off to get me booze...still not tired...but im gonna try and have a stab at sleeping..

surely falling alseep at around 5am will be better than yesterdays effort of 11am..

sleepclock rewind attemp phase 1. begin...now!

ull struggle if u went to sleep at 11am last time

Hey man I'm pretty much on the same boat.

I work graveyards and come home at about 4:30 AM get to sleep at about 6-7 AM and only sleep for a few hours. If I'm lucky I'll get several.

Find the time to exercise, have a jog do something to get your heart running so by the time you hit the sack it'll be easier to get to sleep. Having a glass of milk or maybe a small portion of cereal helps you too, just dont eat/drink till you're full.

If you want, stay awake a whole night and sleep at a time that you want to start sleeping at :P Don't think its a great idea but it might restart your body clock.

Alcohol may help though I wouldn't do it, especially mixing it with a soft drink and meds. Do you really need the meds though? I don't think taking so many would be good for you in the long run...Your body will be too reliant on it!

Hope it works out for you man!

your sleep pattern is what i have normally. unless work disturbs it.

doesnt matter if I lie down at 8pm.. i wont sleep till 4/5am and then i get up 2-3 hours later for work if im on day shift.

I have no issues working night shift.. get home, sleep, wakeup go back to work.

I never really thought theres a problem.. its just what happens..

oh and atm i dont have any 'issues' going on.. my body's just f**kd.

All I can think of is to chat to your doctor again or get a second opinion... in relating to the meds you're taking to sleep.

Unlike almost everyone here, I know what you were talking about earlier regarding work (DVT, PE ect) as I work in that field so i definitely understand WHY you can't do a lot.

Definitely try to lay off the alcohol a bit if you're worried about any thing coming back. Also be careful you don't cut yourself as Warfarin is a blood thinner. Keep iron levels up and all of that.

But definitely chat to your doctor about your sleep, maybe see your psychologist a bit more??

ull struggle if u went to sleep at 11am last time

I did it!!!! 5am - out to it...just woke up at 2:30..

Lets see how tonight goes.

your sleep pattern is what i have normally. unless work disturbs it.

doesnt matter if I lie down at 8pm.. i wont sleep till 4/5am and then i get up 2-3 hours later for work if im on day shift.

I have no issues working night shift.. get home, sleep, wakeup go back to work.

I never really thought theres a problem.. its just what happens..

oh and atm i dont have any 'issues' going on.. my body's just f**kd.

Yeah but something tells me your a machine!

All I can think of is to chat to your doctor again or get a second opinion... in relating to the meds you're taking to sleep.

Unlike almost everyone here, I know what you were talking about earlier regarding work (DVT, PE ect) as I work in that field so i definitely understand WHY you can't do a lot.

Definitely try to lay off the alcohol a bit if you're worried about any thing coming back. Also be careful you don't cut yourself as Warfarin is a blood thinner. Keep iron levels up and all of that.

But definitely chat to your doctor about your sleep, maybe see your psychologist a bit more??

Yay finally someone that understood the DVT, PE part...I assume you also know what costochondritis is and how it can lead to a collapsed portion of the lung from not being able to breath enough.

So yeah, for everyone saying exercise to drain your energy, that part is OUT!!!...plus yes, warfarin is what you said, which is scary and I don't like dealing with it, or the constant blood tests making sure I dont bleed out or clot up...another reason I avoid the exercise...a jolt/cut/hit/fall will seriously mess me up.