Sign in to follow this  
STR8E180

over heating issues with laptop

i got an asus gaming series laptop

ASUS G73J

i think the problem is overheating im not sure

it only ever happens when im gaming

the game will start jerking and then the computer will just shut it self of which makes me think its overheating and its shutting itself of to stop me from causing damage to it

its happen when im plaing metro and sniper ghost warrior

i thought this laptop was a powerful gaming laptop built to play games with out any problems ??? then why m i having problems when trying to game

its realli starting to get annoying

specs of my laptop can be found here

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=8je5Ot4HBnKOdT81

CPU model/brand Intel i7 Q720

CPU speed 1.6GHz

Memory capacity 8GB

Hard drive capacity 1TB

Graphics type ATI Radeon Mobility HD 5870

Screen resolution 1920x1080

any advice on how i can get this to stop happening

those specs tend to make me believe its not an old laptop.... how long have you had it? and its only jsut recently developed this problem? I'd say it is overheating, simply because of the graphics becoming unstable, and then its powering off to protect itself. I know Metro and ghost warrior are two very graphical intensive games, so thats whats probably stressing it so much.

If its under warranty, get Asus to have a look at it. Either it's poorly constructed to deal with heat (Xbox 360 anyone?) or it may have sucked in a heap of dust... happened to my mates Dell XPS. Mind you if the warranty is still active, I wouldn't be opening it to clean the intakes...

yeah its a pretty new laptop not very old at all

i went threw the specs and the specs of my laptop should be more then enuff to support these games easy!

it happens when im not even gaming for long

5 to 10mins is all it takes for it to shut itself down and it only ever happens when im gaming

it is still under warranty but think i might try the vacuum vent gadget

i just bought 2 of these little gadgets ( one for each exhaust vent )

guess it doesnt hurt to try

g73_ov2.jpg

g73_new_ov1.jpg

IBL-MYD-LaptopVacuumCoolingFan_DisplayPicture.jpg

i dont like the fan pads which sit under the laptop

they just blow air under the laptop which doesnt realli do much so thought i might try these vacuum's

If its under Warranty, imo log a warranty claim.. It shouldnt overheat if its designed for gaming and shouldnt require additional cooling methods, Also try a temperature monitoring program like SpeedFan it may be able to read the data from your motherboard sensors, or even check the ASUS website for that model theyre may be Utils for that laptop that can give you info on the core/fans etc :)

^ yeah i think ur right

im going to send it back under warranty and get it checked out

have you tried those cooling fan things yet? looks awesome, i always wanted something like that

nah

i only just bought them today still waiting for them to turn up

just tried to play sniper ghost warrior again and my laptop shut down after about 10mins of game play

this is realli starting to get annoying

anyone else with the same laptop having the same problem as me

cpu fan clean? need new thermal paste on CPU?

i haven't had any problems yet kempii, gave GTA a flogging for a few hours the other day too. I have had it give me a screen full of artifacts once, when someone was wiggling my power cable in the power board, but i put it to sleep and pulled it out and it came good again.

have you still got the rubber bits on the underside? a couple of mine have come off with the amount of times that i put the laptop in the backpack and pull it out. they're the only thing to elevate the laptop and the air is drawn from the bottom, so no rubber feat would mean next to no airflow. might be worth looking at.

i still got all the rubber bits under the laptop

the fans are also clean

ill give warranty a call today and see wat they have to say

hope its a quick fix

ps. get onto sniper ghost warrior!! awesome game

i didnt get to play it for long because of my laptop over heating but from wat i have played so far its awesome

spoke to tech support and they emailed me drivers to install

they think its software driver problems with the ATi video card

anyways it didnt work so they are coming to pick it up 2morrow

hows that for service !!!! they pick it up, repair, then bring it back to my door when finished :)

Pretty good, Toshiba are the same they send a courier out to you to pick it up :)

I wouldnt of expected the drivers to work, but the Telephone people are just doing there job they gota make sure theyve atleast tried something at the slight chance it is driver related.

carpet/fluff/dust between the CPU heat sink causing the CPU to get too hot...?

pull heatsink out, clean with alcohol and re-seat with thermal paste.

pretty damn hard to do on a laptop dude lol

Pretty good, Toshiba are the same they send a courier out to you to pick it up :)

I wouldnt of expected the drivers to work, but the Telephone people are just doing there job they gota make sure theyve atleast tried something at the slight chance it is driver related.

yeah courier are coming to pick it up 2day

for now i have to use the laptop i bought from u

i tried video card driver up date and bios flash update which they emailed to me both did not work :(

hopefuly it does not take to long b4 my asus is back

carpet/fluff/dust between the CPU heat sink causing the CPU to get too hot...?

pull heatsink out, clean with alcohol and re-seat with thermal paste.

i dont want to be opening up a laptop which is still under warranty

this sucks!!

no gaming untill my laptop comes back :(

How long did they say it will take to repair?

last time i had to send my old asus away it was under a week but that was because they said it to parramatta and i wasnt far from parramatta

but at the moment im in vic so it has to get sent away interstate so im hoping ill get it back early next week but it will most likely be late next week to early the week after

im spewin im hanging to play my game

hahahaha, hate to put you on a downer kempii, but i ordered some new rotors and pads last wed and the phone i ordered last wed gt here first... rotors and pads are coming from QLD. Phone came from Hong Kong...

Thank you Australia Post.

Pyro, similar thing happened to me, ordered some lifters for work ( I'm in parts at a Ford dealership ), from Repco, on a Friday, ordered some stuff from America on a Saturday....the stuff from American rocked up first. Aus Post can suck it.

AUS is so shit...

I get stuff from over seas faster then I can get stuff from qld or wa. and it costs the a few bucks cheaper then over seas..

amen! and the f**kers don't open until 9 and then shut at 5... so unless you've got an Auspost a "lunch hour" walk away, you're screwed until the weekend...

I have a similar issue with my laptop - i have a 5650.

When attempting to play fallout 3 it just randomly freezes.

I link it back to the custom drivers for the GPU's in laptops.

i had mine freeze while i had it on my laptop the other day kempii. i noticed my legs were blocking the air hole on the bottom, problem went away after i moved it around and gave it a restart.

can you ask them what went wrong when you get it back? i'd be keen to hear.

yeah i should be getting it threw week

once i get it back ill play my game and see if its fixed

then ill give them a call and see wat they done to it

I have the same laptop, however the newer version. same shape etc, I have NO problems playing any games for 4+ hours at a time, I have mine running 24/7.

I'd presume your not being dumb and having your laptop on a blanket/in bed

Only on a flat surface/desk and its not hard up against the wall as the vents are at the back.

At work i have a 17" laptop cooling dock with 3x 120mm fans.. does an awesome job.. doesnt NEED it, just helps.

Get a program like speedfan to monitor temperatures on the laptop, use the 'power' button to bump the fan speed + performance up, I get cooler temps this way.

Only downside is I have the Hybrid hard drives and they seem to spool down after 10 minutes, even with powersaving turned 100% off and bios settings checked, it still powers the drives down. which means Starcraft 2 seems to lag when a unit which hasnt been shown 'yet' appears and it trys to quickly spool up and load the textures.

btw laptop rox :D

If it helps,

My temps read the following with dual screens, and playing games @ max graphics @ max res (BFBC2)

38 HDD

36 HDD

43 internal case temp

50 core 0

49 core 1

45 core 2

46 core 3

48 core 4

47 core 5

EDIT: This may help (overheating due to drivers/resolution)

http://vip.asus.com/...SLanguage=en-us

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20100527070129875&board_id=3&model=G73JH&SLanguage=en-us&page=1

"those few users lucky enough to be able to run ATI reference drivers without such issues have been experiencing very High GPU temps. I myself tried running the 10.6 and 10.7 alphas, and while they ran without causing any GSODs, my GPU temps reached upto 110C before my system decided to shut down from playing 20 mins of GTA IV. My room temps are only 26C and I keep my machine directly under a Air Conditioner to keep it cool."

laptop has neva been on the bed

its to hard to game on the bed anyways

since i bought the laptop its spent its whole life on a desk

i should be getting it back soon ill let u guys know wat was wrong with it