Sign in to follow this  
ardie

Ardies Training log

I always lose my routine progress (scrunched up piece of paper) so I thought i'd start one of these.

Just A little background: Im 6 ft 4 and like long walks on the b......wait I mean currently 108 kg. I play football in the state league here, my focus is becoming stronger and developing power. Im currently doing the bill Starr Mad Cow 5x5 intermediate and finding it pretty enjoyable and having ok gains, my sqauats and dead are pretty pissweak, but I'm waiting on m to send out a ppp program and I'll reasses my workout once I start that and hopefully develope those areas.

Tuesdays session:

squat

5x90

5x100

5x110

5x120

5x130

bench:

5x80

5x90

5x100

5x110

5x120

bent row:

5x50

5x60

5x60

5x80

5x90

back hypers:

10x20kg

10x20kg

8x20 kg

weighted hanging situps

10x17.5kg

10x20kg

8x20kg

Really struggled with my back today, going to hit pilates hard tonight to try sort it, failing that off for a massage. The club doctor tells me that my pelvis is rotated forward and that puts load on my back so I need to work on my quad and hip flexor flexability.

Squat:

5x100

5x110

5x120

5x120

deads:

5x110

5x120

5x130

5x140 (fairly painful, had to stop for 20 secs between 3 & 4)

clean & press (pretty new to these so need to work on my form ALOT, still trying to muscle up way to much)

5x50

5x60

5x70

5x80

weighted chinups:

10x5kg

6x10kg

7x10kg

weighted situps:

10x17.5

10x20

10x20

Thanks mate, I look at it more like my other lifts are weak. I got ppp from markos the other day so I'm going to implement it this weekend, hopefully get my squats and deads up there so long as my back is ok, so bloody frustrating!

Yeah mate i know what you are saying...

I hurt my back deadlifting a few months ago and havent had the mental confidence to go back to deadlifting yet. That end today, going to smash out some deadlifts tonight. I have invested in a belt so hopefully this gives me the courage i need hehe.

Will take no time for you so make some serious progress on PPP mate, its an awesome program!

Will be keeping an eye on this journal :thumbsup:

Well i decided to have a bit of a break as i picked up a shell on the weekend, so i took the chance to let my back rest while i started working on that. Finished working on the shell tonight, went to go to the gym and got called away to a cashy im doing so only fitted in a short session.

Found my 1rm for:

Bench: 150 kg

Squat: 160 kg

So I implemented the PPP program going off of those

Bench

150 x1

115 x5

112.5 x5

107.5 x5

105 x5

105 x5

Squat

160 x1

122.5 x5

120 x5

115 x5

110 x5

110 x5

then i ran out of time so thrashed out a bunch of chinups. will post up my new program plan in a bit to get some opinions

Thanks mate, I’m just scared of hitting the dreaded plateau (queue dramatic piano *DUM DUM DUUUMMMMMM). As for my age, im 23 with the knees of a 60 year old. Also forgot to mention, was invited to go down and have a run with a young aths club. I clocked a 12.02 over the 100m, pretty happy with that (used to run in the 11s) considering I haven’t run since I was 18 and haven’t done any training aside from what I do in footy.

Anyway im thinking of running my routine along the lines of what I have below. Any suggestions, criticism or advice would be awesome, im always open to ideas and anything that can improve my training. Im trying to keep the program solid, but fun at the same time.

Monday

Bench

Squat

Bent Rows

Curls

Wednesday

Deadlift

Clean & press

Chins

Hyper Extensions

Friday

Squat

Bench

Close grip

Tri Extensions

Well Extremely dissapointed, frustrated and concerned after tonight. I go to figure out my 1rm deadlift and only get 180 (about 8 months ago I got 210 with more in the tank while training with a mate back home in melb) I had a fair amount of pain in my back but decided to push on into my sets (stupid I know but I was megga pissed about my wimpy 1rm) on the last set it was just agonizing and ended up dropping the weight, was struggeling to stand after and had stabbing pains running from my back down my buttox and hamstrings. With my back so rooted I couldn't really do anything loading it without trouble and it felt (and still does feel) incredibly weak. I'm going to go see a physio and start swimming next week, also not going to dl at all, just squat as it doesn't really tweak my back. So yeah had a pretty messed up workout, oh forgot to add, I did warm up before it all

deads

200 x fail (got 1/2 up, sketchy feeling back so dropped 20 off)

180 x 1 (prob could have gone 190)

142.5 x 5

137.5 x 5

132.5 x 5

127.5 x 5

127.5 x 5

French curls

40 x 8

50 x 8

60 x 8

60 x 8

seated shoulder press

40 x 8

50 x 8

60 x 6

60 x 6

so basically a super shit session and the whole time felt like tiger woods had axed me in the back with his driver

Training on with pain, rookie mistake! dont worry, you'll probably do it again just like I've done on a few occasions lol. I tweaked my back on a deadlift about 6 months ago and have only started doing them again in the last month. My advice would be do not do any deadlifting and only do back exercises where your lower back is not taking much strain eg. Single DB row with your arm supporting you on a bench instead of bent over rows. Keep squatting if there is no pain and when your back settles down and the pain goes start doing hyperextensions and after a couple months when you are confident your back is better then start deadlifting with a very light weight and just go up 2.5kg per session. Good luck and remember, the tortise ALWAYS beats the hare in this game.

Cheers for the advice Chris, started doing some light hypers today and they felt really good, actually felt BETTER after doing them. Anyway, I have been training, just missed a few updates on here as my iphone has been on the fritz. Had reduced back pain, but no dead lifting what so ever :cry: which is annoying. Anyway had a lift tonight, felt pretty good considering that i spent all day out in the sun climbing through a truss roof 3 stories up dragging power feeds and mains cables for over 50 meters, pretty good all body workout with all the planking, bending, stretching and climbing involved whilst dragging close to 100 kg by the end. Hit the gym after and still felt pretty good. Contemplating jumping up another weight in the PPP as Im finding these quite easy, going to leave it a week or two more though

Bench:

120 X 5

115 X 5

112.5 x 5

107.5 X 5

107.5 X 10

Squat:

125 x 5

120 x 5

115 x 5

112.5 x 5

112.5 x 10

Clean & press (muscling it up more to focus on the shoulders)

85 x 6

80 x 6

80 x 5

db row:

40 x 10

40 x 10

40 x 12

(most likely going to move to reverse bench as my gyms dumbbells only go up to 40)

Dips:

Hypers

Hammer curls:

25 x 6

25 x 5

27.5 x 5