Sign in to follow this  
Flying180

Hardtuned.net Feedback thread

Following on from lkt004's thread, we've decided to create one on-going thread specifically designed to hear all issues or ideas about the Hardtuned network. We want you, the members to have say in what you want to see, and what you want to get out of the site.

This isn't a bitch thread, this is a constructive thread that we will monitor closely to ensure members are listened to.

If you are unsure of the Site Rules and Guidelines please refer back to them: http://nissansilvia....howtopic=297705

I'll summarize the major points mentioned in lkt004's thread (http://nissansilvia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=464042&st=0&fcat=)

1. Tighter control on members posting 'stupid' spam, that generally just annoy the majority. This includes poor grammar such as 'text' speak.

2. Improved Tech section layout, with tighter control on accurate technical advice. Stupid tech advice would result in a warning. i.e. "Use sand to port motor"

Suggested to have a Basic/beginner tech forum and an Advanced Tech forum. Basic Tech Article forum to only include articles, and should be the first port of call for tech problems.

3. More Active Moderators who are responsibly and keep the standards of the site.

4. More fun and laughs (without breaking the rules). ie. Members to know when to stop, and when enough is enough.

5. Encourage Free speech and social interaction.

6. Rating system (need ideas on how this won't be abused).

7. Reporting System to be used more often. If something bothers you or is against the rules, please report and it WILL get looked into.

6. Improved classifieds. i.e. "No Price, No Pics", Remove repeat topics that are posted within 14 days of each other.

(Anything i missed?)

What we are looking for in Mods:

Honestly in my eyes the key things we look for :

Someone that :

Contributes:

- be helpful / give a positive attitude

- give good advice

- organize events & cruises

- provide good stories / articles / photos

Moderates:

- uphold the standard on the site

- friendly warnings to members who break the rules

- not be power-hungry / too nazi / bring bad vibe

- spot members that are bringing down the community as a whole, and remove them perminantly

Value Adds:

- keeps in communication with me (spandex is a good example of someone who helps me out alot!)

- suggests things which may benefit the site

Keep in mind, Adding new/more Mods will not fix the problem, It will aid in a better site tho.

the attitude of every member needs to change and understand the mods and help out with the site, Not bitch and cry about things things should have handled.

Regardless what ever action we take, a react is given from the other side.

If we ban someone, we are too harsh, if we don't we ant doing anything as a mod.

I do my best to keep it fair, I do not like handing out warnings at all, I will send you a pm if I think your pushing the line, or Had. Unless you react like a 10yo I take no other action.

A simple chat is more then enough to put most members back into line, But like flying has said, its the long term active members that do push the line often.

Me and a team of 3 other mods have spend days cleaning up the tech section, we just need the rest of the site to follow. And No we are not asking for a full stop to everything. swearing, boobs etc...

We just want it to be a respected site and not a noob bashing useless site with a fancy flashy banner.

REPORT, REPORT, REPORT! Use it guys,

See something that gets to you? report it, rather then make a post back telling the member how much of a noob he/she is.

i think the other thing that has been made clear:

- a few regular members don't seem to give a f**k about talking crap in every thread. I dont mind it thats what off topic is for, but when you come into every thread "just for lol's" ... well yeah..... perfect example is the last thread we just closed a second ago....

Make it so moderators can only give out + or - reps, members can recommend posts/members that deserve the reps and certain moderators can hand them out?

Just a thought.

+1, There is a uplate topic for a reason were I have pretty much given a open ticket to any type of posts so take your pointless, spam type posts to there during the open hours, or keep it off topic.

Time and place for everything, which is what we are all trying to get at. We all like a joke..

Can we get rid of the music section and just integrate it with OT, i am always keen to post things in there, but nobody ever goes there.

Make it so moderators can only give out + or - reps, members can recommend posts/members that deserve the reps and certain moderators can hand them out?

Just a thought.

I could make a sticky in the trading section

Any trades over say $500, there would be a post about the memeber, and who he traded with, the amount (or close figure) and a rating,

Doing this style for every trade is going to be stupidly hard and heaps of work to keep on top of.

+1, There is a uplate topic for a reason were I have pretty much given a open ticket to any type of posts so take your pointless, spam type posts to there during the open hours, or keep it off topic.

Time and place for everything, which is what we are all trying to get at. We all like a joke..

On that... "Uplate" or whatever you want to call it, will now be allowed to open all day.

It will be the only thread of it's type though.

Can we get rid of the music section and just integrate it with OT, i am always keen to post things in there, but nobody ever goes there.

The music section used to thrive. However it seems that everyone got the same point of view as you at the same time, possibly after a senior member stopped posting there.

Why not try to kickstart it again?

The music section used to thrive. However it seems that everyone got the same point of view as you at the same time, possibly after a senior member stopped posting there.

I'm keen......

Will post some stuff up tonight after work.

was there any reason for removing the + and - 1 system? it seems a few people wanted it back

I'm keen......

Will post some stuff up tonight after work.

Cool, thanks!

Let me know if you have any ideas on things i could do to help.

I'm sure once a few members start to post regularly in there, others will follow. :thumbsup:

make it so the search function works properly

This, sometimes the search can be glitchy, but 80% of the time it comes down to how someone searches, just because our search button may not work, you can still use Google to search this site.

I also suggest that instead of saying to a newbie who has posted "use the search function" go about posting this link on HOW to search. - sort of like newbie training, i normally say... "this has been covered before, theres a thread"

I have an idea for new user registration. the screen where they fill in their details they also have to answer questions regarding searching, and common questions that are asked, and form rules such as "how many constructive posts do you need to be able to post a for sale thread?". this will make people use searching, and people best learn while doing.

also on seller feedback, how about you write a comment on the users profile like, "I brought over $200 goods from Blingy, and the items I got were in very good condition! Recommended seller!!!!!"

thats just my 2 cents.

was there any reason for removing the + and - 1 system? it seems a few people wanted it back

You obviously never saw uplate :lol:, we all had +200 simply due to everyone giving plus reps when they left.

It was heavily abused, and within only 2weeks the rep system was practically useless and didn't mean anything.

On that... "Uplate" or whatever you want to call it, will now be allowed to open all day.

Can we make two threads, UPLATE and a Daily spam thread.

It's just with forums that have a 24/7 spam thread the quality of the post tend to drop.

UPLATE is more of a social area then a spam thread and I can see it heading downhill if its open 24/7.

In all honesty, I think having so many "topics" (ie: Offtopic, Jokes, Music etc) does more damage than good. It splits users up into different areas of the site and it discourages interaction in other areas.

Would it be easier to (if you wanted to keep them) have them as subforums in the main offtopic area... this one? An example if I am not making myself clear, is how the 'Training Logs' and 'PTC Forum' are set up in Fitness Diet Bodybuilding.

I would suggest keeping the Fitness and the NWS areas as they are, as they are fairly specific, but I don't see a reason for the rest to stay isolated. Then again the Fitness area could move across, they don't have to venture out if they don't want to.

Other areas like the Tech area and Classifieds could be reviewed in the same way. Even the same for all the states. They could all come under "Australia" as subforums, as you have other countries there as well.

It would encourage more members to post as they would all be in the same area.

Food for thought.

It's just with forums that have a 24/7 spam thread the quality of the post tend to drop.

UPLATE is more of a social area then a spam thread and I can see it heading downhill if its open 24/7.

Ditto, i think most of the day walkers would be quite offended reading the previous uplate posts :lol:

It was heavily abused, and within only 2weeks the rep system was practically useless and didn't mean anything.

I'm sure only allowing one a day would prevent this,

So you can still express the post that you really hate instead of replying and screaming at them, Or that post you really like instead of doing a +1.

I would rather not segregate groups as it would just turn into a "BAWT V UPLATE" scenario again.

Personally, i think the one thread should be a social area and not a spam thread. Boring spam can be deleted, ignored or even reported as what would occur in every other section/thread.

It was simply abused. People would - rep other people because they may not have liked the member when their post was infact useful and constructive. On the other hand, people used give + reps when they quoted someones post and their reply was "lol".

There are too many immature teenagers on this site for it to work effectively.

Limit + - reps to 5 a day

There was a limit, and i believe it was around 5.

Agreed. Have it separated like the old days how it was BAWT for during the day then Uplate any time after that.

Not saying you have to use the bawt name but something to that effect worked well imo.

I would rather not segregate groups as it would just turn into a "BAWT V UPLATE" scenario again.

Personally, i think the one thread should be a social area and not a spam thread. Boring spam can be deleted, ignored or even reported as what would occur in every other section/thread.

What about it we have a trial run,

We leave UPLATE as it is, and have a "Day Walkers" (Nice name Liam) thread.

After a week if you still think it's a bad Idea UPLATE will open 24hrs.

I can just see a dim future for a 24/7 uplate.

Something else,

Does anyone else not see when someone replies to their PM?

I like how it comes up when first contact is made but I never seem to see that little blue box in the top corner.

Maybe I'm just blind.

In all honesty, I think having so many "topics" (ie: Offtopic, Jokes, Music etc) does more damage than good. It splits users up into different areas of the site and it discourages interaction in other areas.

Would it be easier to (if you wanted to keep them) have them as subforums in the main offtopic area... this one? An example if I am not making myself clear, is how the 'Training Logs' and 'PTC Forum' are set up in Fitness Diet Bodybuilding.

I would suggest keeping the Fitness and the NWS areas as they are, as they are fairly specific, but I don't see a reason for the rest to stay isolated. Then again the Fitness area could move across, they don't have to venture out if they don't want to.

Other areas like the Tech area and Classifieds could be reviewed in the same way. Even the same for all the states. They could all come under "Australia" as subforums, as you have other countries there as well.

It would encourage more members to post as they would all be in the same area.

Food for thought.

Before sections were split, topics would go back to the 2nd page before the end of the day, and therefore threads died early.

They are only isolated, because members think they are or treat them that way.

Technically, all those sections mentioned do come under the "Lifestyle" section, which means Off Topic, Fitness, Music, Games etc, are all subforums to that area.

I do think it might pay to have them actively visible as a subforum as you have mentioned. Even if it was just to kick start some of the dead sections again.

What about within one section:

Lifestyles (with viewable OT forum below), listed subforums easily showing sections like "Music", "Jokes & Funny Stuff", "Sports", "Games& Tech", Movies & TV"

The only problem this will do, is make half the forum page "stickied". Which would just look like crap, and will be hard and annoying to follow :wacko:

What about it we have a trial run,

We leave UPLATE as it is, and have a "Day Walkers" (Nice name Liam) thread.

After a week if you still think it's a bad Idea UPLATE will open 24hrs.

I can just see a dim future for a 24/7 uplate.

:thumbsup:

Sounds good.