Sign in to follow this  
harris.

Harris' steeter/track hack - Type X shiz fitted page 15!

fair enough, why they banning the v710? everyone going to quick?

What a joke if you cant run any semi slick you want.

yeah it is a joke, like, all the good semi's such as v710 and bf goodridge rs1 and hankook z214 all have like 2 lines of tread, so whilst they are still semi slicks, apparently they arent allowed.. coincedently those are the ones that are available on tire rack for around 300 a tyre, which isnt too bad.. meanwhile the few we are allowed are like 400-450 a tyre, even more expensive in the sizes i was after, so looks like im going to have to run shitty r888's.. not the worst semi in the world, but certainly not one of the best..

I've got rear hubs u can buy cheap as shit wink.png

nah, i already got rears, basically all i need is a front pair of 14 hubs and im good to go..  thanks though drez.. also looks like my car will be off the road when you come here to town..

wouldn't matter anyways its not like you'd bring it out on a cruise if it was going ya grandma :P

I've got rear hubs u can buy cheap as shit wink.png

nah, i already got rears, basically all i need is a front pair of 14 hubs and im good to go.. thanks though drez.. also looks like my car will be off the road when you come here to town..

wouldn't matter anyways its not like you'd bring it out on a cruise if it was going ya grandma :P

as if, i organised that awesome cruise that time.. think about how good that was.. ;)

Crash wouldn't have happened if you bought my miss-matched Advans :P

Good to see you're getting it all sorted, both the car and yourself ;)

Crash wouldn't have happened if you bought my miss-matched Advans tongue.png

Good to see you're getting it all sorted, both the car and yourself wink.png

yeah cheers man, it seems to flare up every few years.. i think its because im such a highly strung person that it all sort of catches up with me every once in a while.. i'll be right though.. hopefully a big fat blue bitch keeps me sane ;) hahahahahaha

Good Lord, its been a long time between updates.. As mentioned earlier i'v had some mild health dramas, it's been getting under control but im still not flawless.. Much much better than i was though, at least now I can comfortably race and do normal shit without massive issues..

NOW TO THE CAR

So after I binned it I had to track down parts, scored a front bar for cheap cheap and wide front guards for cheap cheap and they were off for paint..

then they were painted, and sitting on the floor of the living room with my missus being angry at me..

10171207_10202870938508326_2028491851_n_zpsc623b4ab.jpg

However, whilst the parts were of being painted, some other dude locally popped up a for sale ad with front guards and a front bar, and they were already painted blue.. So obviously i purchased those as well, and fitted them to the car, so those freshly painted parts are still sitting in the living room, waiting for me to bin my car again or whatever else terrible things can happen..

So I fitted up the second set of parts and got the car back on the road, here it is on its inaugural drive to the servo once i got it sorted.. You can see how much wider the front is now, its a little lopsided not being widebody at the back, but i'll cross that river when i come to it..

1922514_10202597268066736_1543688536_n_zpsc4ad9c38.jpg

So the next big thing that happened was one of my dearest friends went to Japan for matsuri, drifted a 180sx with type x lights, and i instantly told him to swap them out for stockies so I could have them when he got home..

1505237_10202297988624937_363610163_n_zpsbfe5dd61.jpg

Sreiously looks a million times better than the stockies.. Technical dramas though with the fact that the lights didnt come with the bulb holders, so thats been a fark around for me to get sorted.. I fitted them up, saw they looked good, and then realised i had to take them back out again until i get the looms from Nissan.. 2 months on, still havent received the loom.. gay..

Next up i got a legit type x wing from some chowderhead locally that didnt know what it was.. 50 bucks!!!! Paid my mate $50 to paint it and here i am fitting it up.. It was the first time drilling a hole in my car like this so i spent 2 hours measuring and whatnot making sure it was right, finally i got some balls and drilled..

1463207_10202774474696791_531881900_n_zps978bbaa2.jpg

All finished, i reckon the car looks way better now.. Mad props to the daily corolla in the background..

1964937_10202774711062700_1603637449_n_zpscad482e6.jpg

So I did all that stuff in the off season whilst waiting for the new one to start, finally the day came and I was excited.. 2 run of the day, car started being terrible, idling terribly, misfiring coming onto boost, and being a general dog.. I couldnt work out what was going on so that was it for me.. Went home and pulled the car apart, found the culprit fairly quickly..

10292478_10203077704117337_6856396349874518988_n_zps3d504db5.jpg

So that was an easy fix, got it all sorted out, cheap as chips to fix, stoked that it wasn't something major and i got the car ready for round 2. 3rd run of the day, had just done a personal best, and last lap of the run car started stinking like cooking coolant.. I immediately pulled in and popped the bonnet, and there was coolant spraying out from somewhere under the intake manifold..

gay..

So that was it for me, again i had to end the round early.. Still got 3rd in class due to my PB, so that was pretty good.. I got the car home and pulled intake mani and whatnot off and found the hose with the split..

10306728_10203103693367052_5546444874821465816_n_zps86bd0b53.jpg

Honestly, it took me longer to get the actual hoses off there than it took to take the manifold off.. So i have spent the last week dealing with this disaster, fitted up new hoses, fancy new clamps, and putting the car back together..

10290647_10203111713367547_7986262305272023353_n_zps88eb3d13.jpg

Here's the engine with mani runners off..

1505090_10203103654846089_7418135469957199796_n_zpscec7c1fd.jpg

So finally got it all sorted, was fitting it all up and making sure nothing leaked.. when i was tightening up the bolts from the runners to the block, i guess super strong arms me tightened it too much and I stripped the thread from the hole in one of the holes.. So pretty dissapointed over all, i need to pull that shit off and helicoil it so i can make it all good again..

I ran the car though and it doesnt seem to be leaking from the mani, and the hoses I dealt with didnt leak any coolant so I guess thats a win..

Oh, also at some stage I fitted up some super advans.. Everyone knows how much i love them..

10302539_10203092785974374_1635009593614248268_n_zps89f8294e.jpg

And Finally, a photo of me launching the car at the sprints last year.. I believe this is the actual run where I binned it, so technically its the last photo of the car in its previous guise.. Check out the mild tyre smoke!!!

1484099_478349402285970_1614026273_n_zpsc58739c9.jpg

Alright thats it peeps, i hope everyone that cares is doing ok.. Nissansilvia seems to have died out recently due to facey and whatnot, so for those members that are still here, stay strong..

Peace out and drive safe guys..

• Upvote 2

Good to see you're still chipping away it.

Car looks better than ever with the Type-X goodies.

Never spoken to you - But glad to see someone else updating - My car's all ready for the Jap Nat's @ QR next weekend - So Im as keen as you are! Nice looking car and great read.

Good to see you're still chipping away it.

Car looks better than ever with the Type-X goodies.

Yeah cheers man, can't wait til the type x lights are all fitted up, Nissan have been absolute dogs getting back to me about the look for the lights so i'll chase it up tomorrow.. I'll be super sad if i back the car into the tyres next event though!!!

Never spoken to you - But glad to see someone else updating - My car's all ready for the Jap Nat's @ QR next weekend - So Im as keen as you are! Nice looking car and great read.

Cheers dude.. Yeah its good to keep a record of everything thats been done to the car, so i can look back and see how clean it was!!! hahahaha

Car is looking good with the new lights and wing and wheels,,, get some shots of the complete car harris.

Harris, I would replace all those water hoses under the manifold and around the back of the motor if I were you. I had the same thing happen to me and I just replaced the one hose, then for the next year I replaced each hose separately as they split one after the next! Its an age/heat cycle thing - they are due.

Car is looking good with the new lights and wing and wheels,,, get some shots of the complete car harris.

Pauly G!!! How's things man, send me a pm with your phone number so i can call you!!!

Harris, I would replace all those water hoses under the manifold and around the back of the motor if I were you. I had the same thing happen to me and I just replaced the one hose, then for the next year I replaced each hose separately as they split one after the next! Its an age/heat cycle thing - they are due.

Yeah, i ended up changing as many as I could, after it was all back together I saw some shit about just doing away with those heater hoses so I think i'll do that next time around.. I'm planning on buying a spare engine sometime soon and rebuilding it to be as bulletproof as possible, so i will sort all that shit out then.. Hopefully nothing pops before then though!!!

So on the weekend we had round 3 of the sprints.. I have successfully finished 3rd in class at the last two events so was hoping to do a bit better with my new tyres..

NEW TYRES!!! FZ-201's in a medium.. I had high hopes for these tyres, but they seem to take ages to get heat into them.. So all my fastest laps of the day were done on the 4th lap of the run, which is also the last lap of the run, meaning that I really only had 1 chance to get the lap right, and if I made a mistake then that was it..

So yeah, steadily worked away at it through the day.. My previous best was a 45.6 so i chipped away at that, and then on the 3rd run of the day, I broke into the 44's.. Here's a video of the run..

So yeah, knocked about 8 tenths of my personal best, but I'm still not really hitting the times I want to hit.. So the next thing on the list is to fit these s15 LCA's so i can get a bit more camber, and to sort out what I'm doing about brakes.. I'v had a set of z32 calipers sitting here for ever, but i'm thinking since I'm going 5 stud anyways that maybe I should just find some r33 calipers and run with those.. A mate of mine has a set that needs a rebuild, which I was planning on doing to whatever I was going to run anyways, so I might just run with that and see how it goes..

Does anyone have any experience rebuilding calipers? I'v had a look online, it doesnt look too hard.. I assume that I just buy the rebuild kit like this one?

http://www.kudosmotorsports.com/catalog/nissan-brake-caliper-rebuild-seal-kit-front-complete-end-genuine-nissan-350z-z33-skyline-r32-gtr-r33-gtr-r34-gtr-v35-350gt-brembo-p-399.html

But I dont see any of the actual bolts that hold the caliper together.. Is it ok to reuse them or do you chase new ones down from somewhere?

Anyways, thats it for now boys.. Hopefully I can sort my brakes out by the next meet and i will be able to get down into the 43's..

if you can find your workshop manual it will step you through how to do it... or take them to brake mart or something? maybe they can rebuild them.

I did mine in the s15 with the old man, but the workshop manual for s15 pretty much steps ya through it.

I cant see yours being too different honeslty.

the rear handbrake assembly could be different I do not know? mine is an internal worm style arrangement that is a bit of a *milkshake* to get together the first time.

if you can find your workshop manual it will step you through how to do it... or take them to brake mart or something? maybe they can rebuild them.

I did mine in the s15 with the old man, but the workshop manual for s15 pretty much steps ya through it.

I cant see yours being too different honeslty.

the rear handbrake assembly could be different I do not know? mine is an internal worm style arrangement that is a bit of a *milkshake* to get together the first time.

yeah, im not planning on doing anything with the rears.. I don't need to use the handbrake when on the track so i figured leave it stock for now.. If it creates issues with the bias i'll address it, but half of what i'v seen have people saying it doesnt affect it, and the other half say that it makes it easier to lock the rears when braking hard.. So we'll see how it goes..

Also, i finally received the s15 tail light loom so after lots of cutting and crimping and stuffing around I got the type x lights all fitted and wired up.. makes the car look about a thousand times better.. Man type x stuff is the pimp shit..

SrkdwCa.jpg

Alright thats it for now.. I'm trying to address this caliper situation, as the 33 ones i have apparently were leaking from the centre join, and i was under the impression that i could just rebuild them and solve that problem.. So we'll see what i can sort out from here..

Drive safe Marfs..

Oh yeah, also i got my personalised plates sorted out.. I'm clearly the maddest dog..

Edited by harris.

Alright, HUGE UPDATE you dogs.. so be ready.

First things first.. I got my dream wheels.. I know, people hate them, but I love them.. A mate of mine had them on his Stagea when he bought it, and he hated them.. Obviously I was all over it and made him promise to sell them to me once he sorted out new wheels, and low and behold, he did..

20140715_132304_zps9due9ez7.jpg

Yep, Super Advans.. In man sizes.. 18 x 10 +19 all round.. So obviously there was a few problems there, the most obvious one being that they are 5 stud, and i was still dirty 4 stud.. So I had to get onto that..

So I had some s15 LCA's sitting around, I popped out the ball joint from the s13 arms and popped them into the S15 ones, and bolted them up.. Used my s13 knuckles with the s15 LCA's and had some conversion hubs sitting around, jammed them all together and sorted the hubs.. These are the shitty hubs.. Ebay spec i believe, but they were pretty good quality..

FB_IMG_14062599835752988_zps0p8qctmc.jpg

So yeah, i had the hubs off, figured I would deal with my shitty single pot brakes whilst it was all happening.. I had some z32 brakes sitting here that I obtained ages ago, so decided to use those and went and got some rebuild kits and rebuilt them myself.. Pretty gay, but ultimately way easier than i thought it would be.. It was at that time that one of my mates happened to be selling those GKtech bone things that means you can run a GTR rotor, and since Im a mad dog, I got them and ordered the DBA 4000's in GTR size.. a few days later, they showed up..

20140721_140819_zpssmgt9cyy.jpg

Note how tiny and girly my hands are..

SO yeah got all that shit sorted, brakes sorted, everything was going smooth, whacked all the front shit together and it worked amazingly, no real issues on the front and it all sort of just happened.. I was mighty glad when I finally saw it like this..

20140722_152758_zpsojx39ox0.jpg

And with the wheel on..

20140723_140420_zpskwgk9mpo.jpg

Amazing.. I've waited about a million years to have man sized super advans on my car, and there they were..

So the rears went on pretty easy, i retained the standard brakes, just bought an s15 rotor to go on the new hubs, and changed out the pads and whatnot and away I went.. I was a little concerned with fitting 10 +19's on the back of my car but once it was all fitted up and done, it didnt sit too badly.. Mexiflush yes, but nothing a little guard work wouldnt fix..

20140730_141524_zpsralq4vgd.jpg

20140730_141527_zpswktbspg1.jpg

Fronts sat awesome though.. The 25mm wide guards that I have on made the wheels fit perfectly.. I did need a 5mm slip on to clear the coilover, but otherwise it was all fine and dandy..

20140723_105256_zpsfyvq8k8r.jpg

20140723_105209_zpsowl9xeot.jpg

So i was super stoked to have them on and all good, car sat ok so i jacked the car up to bleed all the brakes, and this happened..

20140729_174634_zpsdknkfgal.jpg

The f**king bleed nipples must have been made out of clay or something, because they all stripped so easily.. A quick trip to the brake place, and 4 new bleed nipples and a bleed was done and away I went.. A friend of mine owns a car wash so obviously the first place I went was there to get the car cleaned and to get the wheels looking all white and pretty..

20140803_140248_zpsqadpytza.jpg

All clean and pretty..

20140803_141421_zpsssqeuwpf.jpg

SO once it was all cleaned it was time to deal with the guards.. A quick roll and slight pull was all that was needed, so now it looks like this..

20140806_113750_zpskqfpdusg.jpg

Not amazing looking, but does the job, i dont scrub anywhere, so thats a good thing..

So yeah, it finally all got done and with minor technical difficulties.. MY QFM's didnt come in time so I had to do my time attack on the weekend on shitty bendix ultimates, and I hated them.. SO my times on the weekend were f**king shit, and honestly, I was very sad.. The brakes just didnt feel right, and the car still somehow managed to light up the 265's on corner exit so I think I need to do my diff next..

Here's some more pics from the other day that were taken when the car was clean.. Other than that, drive safe my peeps!!!

IMG_20140813_063302_zpse3abldju.jpg

2014-08-08%2023.44.29_zpsdlwzonck.jpg

miles man, 3 seconds or something.. may as well have parked mid track and had a drink I was that far behind.. :lol:

Super jealous of Super Advans. Best wheels!

Amen brother.. Amen..

Also forget to mention that I traded my super stiff BC's to a drifter lad who was complaining that his Tein's were too soft.. So now i have Teins as well, apparently the BC's worked well for the lad on the weekend at his drift event, so it seems like it worked out best for the both of us..